San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

So I talked to infopass officer today. She told me my file was transferred to the interview officer's supervisor on 8/27. The supervisor will take about two weeks to process my file. At that time, if everything is good, I should be granted to the October's ceremony (on Oct 24). September's ceremony is full and there is no way to speed up now.

Well, at least my file is moving (not sitting on the interview officer's desk), I wonder why it took so long (20 days) for my interview officer to pass my file to her supervisor?!?! I am thinking to set up another infopass on 9/12 to check my status again.

Does anyone know when do we suppose to receive the oath letter for October?

Will keep everyone updated on my status.

Mayger, I suspected that your case was sent to a supervisor or was stuck on additional background check. I believe that being with the supervisor is a better thing, as the other could take an indeterminate amount of time. I hope everything works well.

I got my passport :)

I mailled my application wednesday just after the ceremony and had requested the "expedite" service. My passport was waitting in the mail box. Yhe only thing is that the envelope only contained the passport, my Naturalization certificate was not there!

It woudl make sense to send the two documents separately, but nothing was mentionned about that. Any experience about getting your passport first and then latter the certificate?

Roger

Good for you! :) I sent my application on Thursday morning and haven't got anything yet. It's alright, hopefully next week.

PS: It's quite normal to receive the passport and the naturalization certificate in separate envelopes. It seems to be happening a lot lately.

Mayger, I suspected that your case was sent to a supervisor or was stuck on additional background check. I believe that being with the supervisor is a better thing, as the other could take an indeterminate amount of time. I hope everything works well.

Yes, I also agree. But I don't understand why background check is necessary after interview. I thought all background check is done prior to interview nowadays - that's why it takes so much time for interview to happen after finger print.

Does anyone have experience with name change? During my citizenship interview, I was told that USCIS no longer accepts name change request on N400 form unless I have court paper to prove it during interview. Since I didn't know I have to have court paper, my name change request on N400 was denied. Anyone have experience with name change after inteview but before receiving citizen certificate? Anyone have experience with name change after gotten their citizen certificate?

Thanks

Yes, I also agree. But I don't understand why background check is necessary after interview. I thought all background check is done prior to interview nowadays - that's why it takes so much time for interview to happen after finger print.

Does anyone have experience with name change? During my citizenship interview, I was told that USCIS no longer accepts name change request on N400 form unless I have court paper to prove it during interview. Since I didn't know I have to have court paper, my name change request on N400 was denied. Anyone have experience with name change after inteview but before receiving citizen certificate? Anyone have experience with name change after gotten their citizen certificate?

Thanks

I don't understand it either, but your case doesn't seem to be in background check. Some cases are sent to supervisor for final approval. As far as I know all outcomes I have read about have been positive.

There have been posts with information about name change. It costs some money but can be done. I believe one can apply for a new certificate once the name is changed, $$$.

Hi Mayger..here is the URL to do a name change in San Jose CA.

Not only does it take quite a bit of money...it seems like it might take a couple of months to get it done. Then, you have to get a new naturalization cert with your new name....this cost more money and if you already got your US passport, you'll need to get that changed to (thank goodness this is free as long as within one year of issue). Not to mention, you'll have to change your social security card, bank accounts etc.

http://www.scselfservice.org/probate/adult/NamechangeAdults.htm#how

I was thinking of changing my middle name but decided that not only would it cost too much money but too much hassle. I can live with the way my name is for now :D

Do let us know how the name change goes if you choose to do so. It would be interesting to see what someone thinks of the process. Pity we couldn't change our name during the N400 process as it would have been the easiest way to do it :(

apply for US passport

Does anyone know how to apply the expediated US passport? Since I could only stay short time after the oath, I remember there is a way to get US passport for one or two days after the oath. Anyone knows the details? Thanks.

Hi,

It's funny. According to your signature you don't know when you're going to have your interview, and you know you can only be a few days after oath in the U.S. What's going on? Expedited is not going to get your passport in one or two days. If you want to get it that quick you need to go to the passport agency and have some paid tickets in hand.

My 2 cents

>Pity we couldn't change our name during the N400 process as it would have >been the easiest way to do it :(

Yeah, San Jose USCIS office seems to be the worst in all respects! I wish I was staying somewhere else.

Name Change

I was hoping to be able to do a name change (swap first and last names since I have them reversed on my green card) through the N-400 process.

Does San Jose not allow it? Is this specific to San Jose?

>Pity we couldn't change our name during the N400 process as it would have >been the easiest way to do it :(

Yeah, San Jose USCIS office seems to be the worst in all respects! I wish I was staying somewhere else.

A friend of mine in Maryland wanted to add a middle name during his citizenship interview. His interview officer offered to make an court appointment for him and schedule another citizenship interview to help him change his name. At the end, my friend changed his mind because he didn't want the hassle of going to court and another interview.

I wish my interview officer was as nice as my friend's - I would have taken the chance to change my name.

My friend went to oath ceremony in the afternoon on the same day of his interview. Oh, I really envy him ...

Second Finger Prints Rejected

I talked to an infopass officer today and was informed that my second finger prints were rejected. However, my case was being sent to Laguna office. I live in Sunnyvale. Anyone has the similiar experience? Isn't that the case should be sent to San Jose office?

Moreover, the officer said that they may need police clearance reports from me. Have anyone got police clearance reports before? Usually how long does it take to get the police report and do I need to go to request in person for all the cities I used to live for the last five years?

name wrong in oath letter

Hi

my wife received oath letter today.
address and A# are correct, but name is wrong.

I want to know
If anybody knows or faced this error.
should I take infopass
OR should I just go to the oath ceremony

--
thanks

===============================

Just for others reference:

Interview done on 08/28/07

oath notice date 08/31/07
oath letter received 09/5/07
oath at monterrey road office
oath date 09/27/07

It rings a bell that someone mentioned different name on oath letter and naturalization certificate, but I think in the context of name change. I think it would be good to schedule an Infopass. Otherwise you can go to the oath. They have a table to deal with issues of wrong information on the naturalization certificate. It depends if you have the patience to wait to the oath or you prefer some peace of mind of going to an Infopass.

Hello Huracan,

Can you look into your magic ball and let me know when should i expect my interview date at San Jose office? Thanks in advance :)

leo4: You seem to be the most recent person who got their interview date, could you post your FP date.

Also, my lease is ending and i am moving out end of sep from an apartment in san jose and thinking of moving to fremont. Would my case switch from san jose office to san fransisco and delay/expedite the process or should i find something to live in san jose.

N-400 timeline:
Apr 25 2006: Mailed to CSC
May 07 2006: Prioity Date
Jun 27 2006: Finger Print Done
????????????: Interview Date

FP Date : 02/20/2007

Hello Huracan,

Can you look into your magic ball and let me know when should i expect my interview date at San Jose office? Thanks in advance :)

leo4: You seem to be the most recent person who got their interview date, could you post your FP date.

Also, my lease is ending and i am moving out end of sep from an apartment in san jose and thinking of moving to fremont. Would my case switch from san jose office to san fransisco and delay/expedite the process or should i find something to live in san jose.

N-400 timeline:

Hello Huracan,

N-400 timeline:

Approximately beginning of January 2008. Letter should arrive around 6 to 8 weeks before that. There have been a lot of discussions about moving. Fremont falls under San Francisco. That's good because San Francisco is way faster than San Jose. However, I would expect delays or worse (lost appointment letters sent to the old address) from moving across local offices. I wish someone could share a real life experience. If you make such a move I think it would be good to keep on top of your application and do Infopasses to find out if the information has been updated properly and that you haven't missed anything.

My 2 cents.

Hello Huracan,

N-400 timeline:

Are you sure regarding your comment for leo4? "gc_guru" and "aramvus" with PD's end of Feb and Fp'ed in April are already scheduled for interview for end of Oct. As per leo4's reply, his/her FP was in Feb.