San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Thank you all for the feedback. So i guess it is taking roughly six months between your FP and interview letter, and then a month between interview and Oath in San Jose.

A friend of mine applied for citizenship a month late, end of june 06 and got Finger Printed end of july just got an interview appointment for Oct 15 06. He filed in SFO office.

So, it does seem SFO is 2-3 months faster, but i did get a feeling from reading the interview experiences that atleast in Oakland office the interviews are more detailed compared to SJC, does this have any merit or is it just my illusion, or maybe just specific to the one person's response i read somewhere on this portal. Although, it would seem it should be pretty straightforward and procedural experience at all locations and should not vary from INS agent to INS agent and from one location to next, or is it?

Any comments on how thoroughly they go over the past job experiences and the addresses you have lived, and all the other info that one provides when one files the application, and they have 6-8 months to go over it. I got a sense interview was more focused on what things have changed between the time you applied and now (any new trips, address changes etc.)??

Also when does the new tests for citizenship get introduced along with the test of the english language etc.

N-400 timeline:
Apr 25 2006: Mailed to CSC
May 07 2006: Prioity Date
Jun 27 2006: Finger Print Done
????????????: Interview Date

Thank you all for the feedback. So i guess it is taking roughly six months between your FP and interview letter, and then a month between interview and Oath in San Jose.

One minor correction: It may take upto 2 months or more between Interview and Oath. I got Interviewed on July 26 and my oath is 19th sep. Raj4jazz was interviewed on June 25 or 26 and got his oath on Aug 22.

Loveduser got interviewed on Aug 8th and he has not been scheduled for Sep 19 oath still :confused:. There was another person with similar story.

Received passports today for my wife and I. Two weeks exactly from the time I applied for the expedited passports. Still waiting for my child's passport. Passports arrived without the certificates, which I guess will arrive in a few days. Child passport application changed from expedite to routine and back to expedite in the status page. It was saying routine I think for all of yesterday and part of today. The passports are electronic e-passport for whomever is still keeping track of this. I doubt they are issuing any old style passport nowadays.

Quick question, has it been your experience that a passport for a child applying under the child citizenship act of 2000 takes longer to process than the parents' passports?

I have posted the same question in the expedited passport thread, but thought it would be good to post it here too. I am playing with the situation in my head. Here is my guess of what's happened. I think they touched my child's application at the same time they processed my wife's and my own application. I think that was the case because I was pretty sure the status showed expedite for my child until my status changed to processed and then it changed to routine. I am wondering if they need additional checks to verify citizenship through the CCA of 2000 or need some supervisor intervention. I am not too concerned, but just curious about this delay. Status changed to expedite today. Let's see how long it takes.

Received passports today for my wife and I. Two weeks exactly from the time I applied for the expedited passports. Still waiting for my child's passport. Passports arrived without the certificates, which I guess will arrive in a few days. Child passport application changed from expedite to routine and back to expedite in the status page. It was saying routine I think for all of yesterday and part of today. The passports are electronic e-passport for whomever is still keeping track of this. I doubt they are issuing any old style passport nowadays.

Quick question, has it been your experience that a passport for a child applying under the child citizenship act of 2000 takes longer to process than the parents' passports?

I have posted the same question in the expedited passport thread, but thought it would be good to post it here too. I am playing with the situation in my head. Here is my guess of what's happened. I think they touched my child's application at the same time they processed my wife's and my own application. I think that was the case because I was pretty sure the status showed expedite for my child until my status changed to processed and then it changed to routine. I am wondering if they need additional checks to verify citizenship through the CCA of 2000 or need some supervisor intervention. I am not too concerned, but just curious about this delay. Status changed to expedite today. Let's see how long it takes.

Congrats Huracan. Hope your child's passport also comes fast. You can very well take the liberty to predict that one too :p

So, will you be still around now or you will stop reading these emails :D ... I guess after being around in various lists for 7 years (assuming you were here for GC also), it will be hard to let go your old habbit :cool:

Congrats Huracan. Hope your child's passport also comes fast. You can very well take the liberty to predict that one too :p

So, will you be still around now or you will stop reading these emails :D ... I guess after being around in various lists for 7 years (assuming you were here for GC also), it will be hard to let go your old habbit :cool:

My prediction is Wednesday next week ;)

Yes, I'll be around. Among other reasons I have to wait a few months for the N-600 process in San Jose.

One more question Huracan, did you apply for expedited passport with overnight or regular mail?

My intention was to apply for expedited with regular mail, but the post office lady didn't give me a choice (I asked if it could be regular mail and she said no), so it was expedited with overnight both ways.

Help Please

I need to postpone my Oath ceremony scheduled for sep 19th(Out of Country leaving tonight). Where should I sent the letter to postpone my Oath Date. Is it to PO Box 30111-30115 Laguna Niguel CA 92607 or the 1887 Montery Rd, San Jose, CA.

Do we have to phone number to contact the USCIS for this case and ask for details of if this can be done over the phone?

My prediction for my child's passport just got changed to getting it tomorrow or Monday ;) I just got an e-mail that the passport finished processing :)

I need to postpone my Oath ceremony scheduled for sep 19th(Out of Country leaving tonight). Where should I sent the letter to postpone my Oath Date. Is it to PO Box 30111-30115 Laguna Niguel CA 92607 or the 1887 Montery Rd, San Jose, CA.

Do we have to phone number to contact the USCIS for this case and ask for details of if this can be done over the phone?

As time is of essence here I would suggest to post the question also at the top thread level. I have a copy of my oath letter in front of me, but it only says to return this notice immediately and tell them why you cannot attend. However it doesn't say where you have to send the letter. Off the top of my head I don't remember what has to be done in these cases. Hopefully someone with better memory or experience will pitch in.

Good luck.

My intention was to apply for expedited with regular mail, but the post office lady didn't give me a choice (I asked if it could be regular mail and she said no), so it was expedited with overnight both ways.

I think the post office lady made you a sale of their overnight express mail :)

I applied for my son's passport early this week with expedited service but regular mail and they happily accepted it.

Yes, I noticed (from people's posts) that different accepting agents have different policies. I was happy that this lady was very alright about having the three of us applying at the same time and making a photocopy of my wife's nat. cert. for my child's passport. I guess I was so happy about that that I didn't want to make a fuss about the overnight. She looked fairly professional but not very friendly.

I am sure you'll get your son's passport soon. As I mentioned in other post it really seems like the State Department are getting on top of things with the backlog problem.

Received oath letter

DO : San Jose
01/10/07: N-400 Mailed to CSC
01/18/07: Application arrived at USCIS, as per USPS
01/22/07: Cheque got cashed
01/31/07: Received Recipt, Notice date 01/19/2007
02/05/07: Received FP Notice Date
02/20/07: FP Appointment
06/26/07: Received Interview Notice Date
08/29/07: Interview Date
09/27/2007 : Oath Date ( Received 09/07/2007, issued on the 05th, mailed on 05th )

leo4, congratulations! Out of curiosity, where is the oath ceremony going to take place, at Campbell or at the USCIS office? I am glad to see what it looks like more frequent ceremonies. I hope this means a more smooth transition from interview to oath for everybody.

Hi Huracan and others.
I am a US Citizen :)

My OATH was done on 9/7 and also getting my passport next week as I have travel in < 2 weeks. :) :)

the oath was in Monteray hwy office in a small room; may be about 150 of us got naturalized. This is the first time they are trying a Friday ceremony... may be due to the excesssive backlog. Next one at campbell is on the 19th.

The Oath was a memorable ceremony. All the hiccups, waits and hardship was all worth it!!!!
Thanks to all the folks in the forum for the great wealth of info and guiding me through the process.

TIP: If you even think you are going to travel soon and need a passport asap, call 1 877 487 2778 options 1 2 1 1 3 2 1 1 ...
You can make a walk in appt at the SFO Passport agency if you have a trip 2 weeks from the date of appt.. The firist open appt is typically 2 weeks from when you call. So do the math and act accordingly. At the appt center they will ask for a ticket or an itenarary

Applied on Thursday. Package was delivered in Los Angeles on Friday morning. I don't know how long is going to take. I seem to have read that for the West Coast it is a bit faster, perhaps ten days for expedited. My status hasn't appeared online, which I think is expected. I'll update the board when I find more.

I'm surprised about the oath on Sept. 7th. Is this in Campbell or the USCIS office? Perhaps we're starting to see the benefit of the extra fees? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

I will have a interview coming up next week. From the current schedule, it seems the possible oath date is either Oct 24th or Nov. I might need to travel aboard for a week during the period but undecide yet. ( I don't have flight ticket so IO probably won't speed up my interview ) Do you guys know if there is any risk for 1 week trip before oath? Any one fail oath because of that?

PD: 1/8
FP: 2/20
IV letter: 7/23
IV date: 9/12
Oath date: ?

Hi Huracan and others.
I am a US Citizen :)

My OATH was done on 9/7 and also getting my passport next week as I have travel in < 2 weeks. :) :)

the oath was in Monteray hwy office in a small room; may be about 150 of us got naturalized. This is the first time they are trying a Friday ceremony... may be due to the excesssive backlog. Next one at campbell is on the 19th.

The Oath was a memorable ceremony. All the hiccups, waits and hardship was all worth it!!!!
Thanks to all the folks in the forum for the great wealth of info and guiding me through the process.

TIP: If you even think you are going to travel soon and need a passport asap, call 1 877 487 2778 options 1 2 1 1 3 2 1 1 ...
You can make a walk in appt at the SFO Passport agency if you have a trip 2 weeks from the date of appt.. The firist open appt is typically 2 weeks from when you call. So do the math and act accordingly. At the appt center they will ask for a ticket or an itenarary

Congratulations! :) I am glad to see that USCIS is scheduling additional ceremonies at their office. Hopefully they'll be able to get on top of the backlog.

I went this morning to the Social Security Administration office (SSA) in Mountain View. I thought I perhaps could be able to fix the whole family without needing to bring my wife. After consulting with the guard at the door, who seemed to be fairly knowledgeable I decided to call my wife up. I was lucky that with delays and the whole thing we just had to sit for about 10 minutes. The morning was spent with this, but at least it worked out with timing. Total wait since I first arrived to get a number was about an hour and a half. Anyway, unlike some other experiences I needed to fill all the SS-5 forms. When I got to the window the only thing I showed was Social Security Cards (so the lady could make sure I didn't need a replacement), Passports and the applications. Everything was pretty smooth. I forgot if she told us the system will be updated in 24 or 48 hours.

There is plenty of parking space around the building and on the back of the building. There is also an entrance at the back of the building.

I believe for me it completes all the after the citizenship steps (voter registration, passport, updated I-9 for employer, and social security administration notification of citizenship. Please let me know if you can think of some other important thing I should do, or that you have done.

PS: I am still waiting for the check of my child's N-600 to be cashed. Do you think it would be a good idea to start a San Jose N-600 thread? I would do it in the after citizenship thread, but that one has very little volume, and I think it is better to keep people like me and others who have completed citizenship hooked into this thread instead of moving to the after citizenship thread. What do you think?

I went this morning to the Social Security Administration office (SSA) in Mountain View. I thought I perhaps could be able to fix the whole family without needing to bring my wife. After consulting with the guard at the door, who seemed to be fairly knowledgeable I decided to call my wife up. I was lucky that with delays and the whole thing we just had to sit for about 10 minutes. The morning was spent with this, but at least it worked out with timing. Total wait since I first arrived to get a number was about an hour and a half. Anyway, unlike some other experiences I needed to fill all the SS-5 forms. When I got to the window the only thing I showed was Social Security Cards (so the lady could make sure I didn't need a replacement), Passports and the applications. Everything was pretty smooth. I forgot if she told us the system will be updated in 24 or 48 hours.

There is plenty of parking space around the building and on the back of the building. There is also an entrance at the back of the building.

I believe for me it completes all the after the citizenship steps (voter registration, passport, updated I-9 for employer, and social security administration notification of citizenship. Please let me know if you can think of some other important thing I should do, or that you have done.

PS: I am still waiting for the check of my child's N-600 to be cashed. Do you think it would be a good idea to start a San Jose N-600 thread? I would do it in the after citizenship thread, but that one has very little volume, and I think it is better to keep people like me and others who have completed citizenship hooked into this thread instead of moving to the after citizenship thread. What do you think?

Congrats for getting done with the whole process. Must be a big relief!! Yes, you should hang around in this thread instead of moving to another.

Its been 4 Months since I had my FP in San Jose.

Hi Guyz,
Its been 4 Months since I had my FP in San Jose. Since I have not received any notice of Interview yet, is there any number to call to find out what is the status of my application,whether it is pending on any checks etc. However what I am noticing from other threads is that ,people have started receiving the Interview appointment letter for those who have had FP done in January and februrary 07. I had mine on 05/09/2007

Here are the dates.

02/28/2007 : Mailed to CSC
03/7/2007 : Notice/receive Date
05/09/2007 : FP Done.
??/??/???? : Interview Appointment
??/??/???? : Oath

So when can I possibly expect to receive the Interview appointment letter. Does anyone have any ideas on this. Please provide your responses.
Thanks.