San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Guys, I wanted to update you on a call I made to USCIS 800 number since my case # is not found on the USCIS case status website. It was interesting, I was able to talk with an immigration officer instead of the regular customer support person.

This is how it went, called the 800 number and had to jump thru the menu hoop and got thru to the customer service guy. He could not find my case too on his system and the forwarded my call to the Immigration Officer. The IO then looked up my case number and said that a notice has been sent on May 4th...She did not say what the notice was for. Since I had been to the SJC DO office, I knew what it was for i.e interview notice.

I simply wanted to confirm what I heard yesterday at my infopass appointment and from the guys at the customer support center. The response was same, so the information I got yesterday about my interview is true.

Good Luck...to everyone.

After going through various posts, here is the conclusion:

PD ---------- IV letter -------- Interview
======= ========= =========
Aug 1-9 ---------Around Feb ------ Feb 12 - Apr 03
Sep 19-21 ------Mar 19 ----------- May 07 - May 23
Oct 2-17 -------Apr 14 ----------- May 15 - June 06
Oct 18-30 ------Apr 13, May 7 ----- June 06 - June 20
Oct 31-Nov 8 ---May 3-8 --------- June 20 - June 27

This is the general case scenario. Some people have got early or late appointments also. This is just an FYI ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I am a little bit paranoid (it's only 8 days) I sent my N400 application to CSC 4/30/07, confirmed post office delivery 5/1/07 10am. As of today, my check has not been cashed, nor I receive any letter yet. How long does CSC usually cash the check and send the letter nowadays?

anyone applied lately?

You're being paranoid, check is cashed fairly quickly, fingerprint notice seems to be taken longer nowadays. Wait a few days more. I don't know how long it takes now, but for me notice date was sent about a week after cashing the check.

I know I am a little bit paranoid (it's only 8 days) I sent my N400 application to CSC 4/30/07, confirmed post office delivery 5/1/07 10am. As of today, my check has not been cashed, nor I receive any letter yet. How long does CSC usually cash the check and send the letter nowadays?

anyone applied lately?

Two words, "Be patient". It will take them ~2 weeks to cash the check and another 2 weeks for you to receive the receipt. I sent the application on 04/07 and just got the receipt this past weekend (05/05).

I have some good news about SJ processing. This may give some hope to aspirants who have PD around 1st and 2nd week of November 06.

PD: 11/08/06
FP: 11/28/06
Infopass # 1: 04/16/07 - Was told FP and name check cleared waiting for interview in the queue
Infopass: 05/07/07 - Was told IV letter mailed on 05/03/07
IV: 06/27/07

Checked mail today but have not received the IV notice. She also mentioned that if I do not receive the notice by 20th June to come by the SJ DO office and collect the interview letter.

It seems like there is some good news and things are moving in the right direction and may be the assumption is correct about notice going out in the first week and last week of the month. Once I receive my notice I will post the it accordingly.

raj4jazz
Did you get the IV letter today in mail? Please keep us updated.

Thanks

Two words, "Be patient". It will take them ~2 weeks to cash the check and another 2 weeks for you to receive the receipt. I sent the application on 04/07 and just got the receipt this past weekend (05/05).

Wow, that's quite different than what I expected. I have been watching the timelines, I thought it would take only 1 week to cash the check, 2 weeks for the notice and 30 days to get the FP date. I guess they are taking it slow.

After going through various posts, here is the conclusion:

PD ---------- IV letter -------- Interview
======= ========= =========
Aug 1-9 ---------Around Feb ------ Feb 12 - Apr 03
Sep 19-21 ------Mar 19 ----------- May 07 - May 23
Oct 2-17 -------Apr 14 ----------- May 15 - June 06
Oct 18-30 ------Apr 13, May 7 ----- June 06 - June 20
Oct 31-Nov 8 ---May 3-8 --------- June 20 - June 27

This is the general case scenario. Some people have got early or late appointments also. This is just an FYI ...

So there were *no* interviews in April. I did suspect that on this board last month.
Someone offline mentioned that April is for H1 related stuff, so nothing else moves at the DO.

how to schedule an infopass in San Jose

I mailed my N400 application in early Jan. The IV letter still didn't come. I am thinking of scheduling an infopass appointment after several weeks. Anyone know the link of infopass appointment?

Thanks.

I mailed my N400 application in early Jan. The IV letter still didn't come. I am thinking of scheduling an infopass appointment after several weeks. Anyone know the link of infopass appointment?

Thanks.

If you read last week's entries, I posted it there. Its infopass.uscis.gov.

Update

raj4jazz
Did you get the IV letter today in mail? Please keep us updated.

Thanks

New_Goy,

I haven't received the letter yet which was supposedly mailed out on 3rd May. I forgot to mention in my earlier posting that when I called the 800 number after my infopass appointment, the immigration officer on the phone told me that it would take about around 14 days for the notice to be delivered. I am not sure why she said that because first class mail take around 4 days or so to be delivered.

Also one of my friends in Sacramento told me that if you enter your case number on the case status website of USCIS and if it says case not found, then it means that your interview notice has been mailed to you and the case has been taken off. Not sure how far this is true but you may want to try it out to see yours and feel good about it.

I would however suggest going for an infopass appt. or checking the 800 number. I will post my info once I receive the mail.

Received IL for my wife on 7th. Interview scheduled on june 19th.
Status on uscis website did not change.

New_Goy,

I haven't received the letter yet which was supposedly mailed out on 3rd May. I forgot to mention in my earlier posting that when I called the 800 number after my infopass appointment, the immigration officer on the phone told me that it would take about around 14 days for the notice to be delivered. I am not sure why she said that because first class mail take around 4 days or so to be delivered.

Also one of my friends in Sacramento told me that if you enter your case number on the case status website of USCIS and if it says case not found, then it means that your interview notice has been mailed to you and the case has been taken off. Not sure how far this is true but you may want to try it out to see yours and feel good about it.

I would however suggest going for an infopass appt. or checking the 800 number. I will post my info once I receive the mail.

Thanks raj4jazz

Case not found is not really true for SJ, my wife got IV letter and her case still showing on the web site. I have taken a Infopass appt this Friday, will post the update.

Was told IL sent out

PD: 11/14/2006
ND: 11/22/2006
FP: 12/1/2006
IV: 6/27/2006 (told by IO from the 800 number)

Checked USCIS case status online before, it was there. Couldn't find my case online last couple of days (something like "case not found"). Called the 800 number and was told IL sent out a couple days ago for 6/27 interview and should be receiving the letter within the week.

New_Goy,

I don't think checking case status is a very good way of finding anything. I have read on the same forum that for some people the case was never found starting the day they got their Notice Letter with PD initially. I have several friends who are now citizens and the website says that "We received your application ... blah blah ... We will notify you once we make progress on the case" ... That Database surely sucks ...

I wish if they could update the status on web and save so many INFOPASS appointments and also a lot of the time of the IOs which they can devote to process cases faster.

But I am hopeful that if you don't get the letter this week then it might come in the next shipments of mid-May (as you said that letters indeed are sent twice a month).

Also, I read that people with PDs around Nov 15 have also been told to wait for their ILs. Does it mean, SJ is now processing mid Nov PDs for ILs.

PD: 11/14/2006
ND: 11/22/2006
FP: 12/1/2006
IV: 6/27/2006 (told by IO from the 800 number)

Checked USCIS case status online before, it was there. Couldn't find my case online last couple of days (something like "case not found"). Called the 800 number and was told IL sent out a couple days ago for 6/27 interview and should be receiving the letter within the week.

What is this 800 number and can we call them to enquire if our case is in waiting queue since last couple of months?

Summer holidays are comming, and for people in the end of October/beginning of December PD it would most likely mean Interview/Oath during summer time. Have you had to alter vacation plans to accomodate for this? I am myself having trouble to plan for summer with all this up in the air. I might need to change foreign travel plans by plane, and perhaps consider domestic trips by car, or foreign trips by car which are easier and quicker to plan around Interview/Oath dates. Of course domestic trips don't require an update for a N-400, but I had originally planned for some foreign trip for this summer.

My 2 cents.

It took me around 3.5 weeks from my prio date to get FP letter. So, if you don't get in 4 weeks, then you need to ask USCIS.

Good luck....

I am going to my FP appointment tomorrow. It took me more than 6 weeks to get the FP letter.