San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

We're the Immi Boomers

Hi,

Please allow me to coin a new term to describe our current situation at San Jose. I believe we're victims of the late 90's and the hiring boom of that time in Silicon Valley, and the subsequent higher number of Green Cards. I believe we're the Immi Boomers :) Back at the time when I got my Green Card I started looking in to the future and predicting that the glut of people who got Green Cards (and were also clogging the Green Card pipes of the time) would cause a similar (but smaller) congestion at the time of naturalization.

Anyway, don't have any proof or numbers to support my claim, I would need to know how many applicants falling under the San Jose district office have applied during the past months and years. Just wanted to coin a new term :)

My 2 cents.

update after infopass appointment

i scheduled an infopass appointment for ealier today as its been 5 months since my fingerprinting, but i have not received the interview letter yet - the immigration officer said that my case is still in the FBI name check stage and that i have to just wait for it.

i am wondering if there is anything that can be done to expedite the name check process?

my timeline
-----------
receipt date: 8/23/06
fingerprinting: 9/27/06
interview: ??/??/??
oath: ??/??/??

n400aug06, did you try contacting your congressman or your senator? I contacted mine during my GC process and got a lot of help. You should be able to talk to their immigration liaision and see what they can do for you. Good luck.

Folks,
Any updates from anyone?
My spouse's friend applied from LA 3 months after us & looks like they will get everything done, even passport & OCI before we get an interview date. :-(

Still waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Remember that we are the Immi boomers of Silicon Valley ;) I just wish they could have forecasted this and hired or relocated some immigration officers to deal with the extra load.

I haven't heard of anyone getting an interview letter for quite a few days. I hope this is not as bad as it sounds right now. On the bright side is that most people won't have to worry about name check, because just getting the interview scheduled is going to take way longer than the name check :( I'm just kidding, I guess it is actually worst, because if someone gets stuck in name check and then has to wait a long time to get the interview scheduled that would mean delay on top of delay, unless USCIS uses the priority date as an element to decide how soon or late to schedule the interview (which it possibly does).

SammySam, would you mind adding some details of your case in your signature?

Notice of Action with Evidence Request

Friends,

I am a bit worried about my application. The notice
said that they accepted my application with some missing evidence and I will need to provide it during the interview. It also said that a seperate notice will be sent about the necessary evidence.
And about 70% down from the top, there were two bars to the left of the letter border,and wording to the right of it, saying
IMPORTANT NOTICE: All Naturalization applicants who were between the ages of 14-75 at the time of filing must have their fingerprints taken at a USCIS ASC..blah blah

The above "IMPORTANT NOTICE" was not there in my wife's notice, though the two bars to the left were there. And she did not get the missing evidence wording in the top.

I am thinking this may be due to the citation that I mentioned. It was traffic citation that I got in NJ in 2002 and I paid $70(I Think, dont remember exactly).

My wife does not have any tickets so far.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
Srinivasa

02/14/2007 : Mailed to CSC
02/15/2007 : Priority Date (and Receive Date)
02/21/2007 : Check cashed
02/23/2006 : Notice Date (Received in the mail on 02/28/07)
??/??/???? : FP Notice Date
??/??/???? : FP Appointment
??/??/???? : FP Done. Walk-In
??/??/???? : Interview Appointment
??/??/???? : Oath

Yes, that kind of notice is usually related to traffic tickets. I believe for such small traffic ticket you should be fine. I mean, I believe you don't need to send or carry proof for small traffic tickets (don't take my word for it, take a look around on the threads). However, if you want to be on the safe side you can try to get a copy of the court disposition or whatever evidence of payment you have. Do a quick search for traffic tickets in this forum. The issue has been debated a lot, and people have provided a lot of useful suggestions.

:rolleyes: Not seen an Interview letter in this thread for almost a month now.... not sure whats going on with SJ DO.

Any inside information?

Our N400 San Jose Timeline

Just thought that I would also post my N400 timeline. Our (me & my wife) application is also getting processed at the San Jose Service Center.

Here is our high level timeline:

N400 Application Reciept Date: 11/01/2006
Date FP Completed: 12/02/2006
Interview Letter: ??/??/????
Interview: ??/??/????
Oath Letter: ??/??/????
Oath: ??/??/????

It will be great if anybody reading through these Forum logs who is also waiting for an interview letter or just got it can also post their timeline.

Thanks & Good luck to everyone.

naiyer

Seeing some threads that it is taking longer then usual on PP processing I am having 2nd thoughts on maybe I should have gone with the expedited processing too. They are saying because of new rules (everyone need PP to go to even Mex. or Can) it is taking 3 weeks instead of 2 for expedited and solid 8 weeks for normal processing.

Oh well too late now. Please post when you get yours.

Hi Imy...I received my passport today. It is the new type with the RFID in it. Looks great! :D

Hope you get yours soon since it didn't take longer than usual as per the Passport Agency website. All in all, it took
13 days from sending out the application to receiving it.

Hi Imy...I received my passport today. It is the new type with the RFID in it. Looks great! :D

Hope you get yours soon since it didn't take longer than usual as per the Passport Agency website. All in all, it took
13 days from sending out the application to receiving it.

Hi, thx for the update this is good news for all in this step that process is not delayed mych.
well I am starting to regret sending it normal process as my check is not even cashed yet and I sent the application on Feb23.
Well I hope they can cash it by end of this week. The lady said it will take 3 weeks for the case to appear but it should not take them 11 days to just cash the check.

Hi Imy...hang in there...I hope your checks get cashed soon.

At least this process is predictable and we know more or less when it'll be done. :)

Please keep us informed of the progress.

Takadigi,
your interview is coming up in a few days. Do keep us updated.
And good luck. I am sure everything will go just fine.

Folks, while you passport related posts are very useful, this megathread is best left for N400 issues. Please use discretion when posting here.

Finished my oath Mar 7th - experience

So I applied exactly 3 months before my 5 years of GC life. I never received a receipt - the fingerprinting notice came within 3 weeks of my application. My wife and I applied at the same time and checks wer cashed simultaneously but her fingerprinting notice did not come till 3 months after mine. There was no receipt for her either.

Fingerprinting was smooth. I called the FBI line the next day to make sure they had it and tey told me the results were sent to USCIS a couple of hours ago.

Interview notice came with a 4 week leadtime. Went in to the interview room for a 9:05 interview at about 8:30. Took a copy of the NY Times to read as I had no clue how long it would take. It was interesting that a few people got called in and came out holding a naturalization certificate. As far as I know they do not administer individual oaths at the San Jose DO. Anyway, I got called in at around 9:10 to my surprise. The IO introduced himself and told me he had looked at my application that morning. He then noted that I traveled extensively (I was out 16 times during my 5 years) and we got in to a discussion about how China was doing (I'm from India but I travel a lot to China). He then started walking me thru the app. I put in that I was a member of IEEE and his son was too. So he digressed for about 2-3mins to talk about engg careers. I had ticked yes for the "Have you ever been cited..." and just put "Traffic related only" in the comments. He asked me if they were just citations and I said yes, that was the end of it. I think he flipped to my FBI clearance to make sure. After that he walked me through the rest of the app and made me sign my photographs and asked me the std interview questions all from the booklet.

I then interrupted him and asked him if I could get the Feb 21st oath date as I travel overseas extensively. He said that was full but Mar 7th had a couple of openings. He put a sticky on my app saying that he was recommeding I be put in for Mar 7th. He also popped out to see if he could get my oath letter right then but came back saying he would mail it out to me the same day. He then handed me the N-445 and that was that.

My interview was on Thursday, I received my oath letter the following Monday. I went through a little bit of heartburn as they had a typo of my name on the oath letter. I scheduled an Infopass to make sure they had the right name on the nat cert but canceled it after hearing they make changes on the spot.

Mar 7th, went for my oath, the spelling was correct on the nat cert. I had traveled outside the country. The IO asked me if I had been to India. I said no. He said" you should not tick yes for this question". I told him I had been to the UK though...he said "Oh, how many days, I said 4 and he wrote OK in Red on my oath letter.

Then we got the oath done and that was that. I'm going to SFO passport office on Tuesday and that should hopefully be that.

App: July 29, 06
Received: Aug 8, 06
FP: September 20th, 06
Interview: Feb1, 07
Oath: Mar 7, 07

Hope that helps and thank you to everyone for helping over the last decade.

interview letter for feb FP

just an update,

i have a friend who applied around same time as mine,
and he says he already got the interview letter.

he had done his FP on Feb 20 or so,

this is for san jose

--
leo4

Sounds too good to be true ;) Your friend might be suffering from hallucinations ;) I wish it were true, and that it would be fast for everyone else. Perhaps it is a secret pilot program. However, for the general forum I still haven't seen anything as good as that. Other than your report it seems that this thread has been pretty dead lately, it seems very sloooow progress in San Jose.

PS: Perhaps I was a bit sarcastic on this reply. I had this post in the back of my mind, could it be that your friend has an age out case, i.e. a child who's going to turn 18 soon, or some other special situation? Have you reconfirmed with your friend that he really got an interview letter?

My 2 cents.

just an update,

i have a friend who applied around same time as mine,
and he says he already got the interview letter.

he had done his FP on Feb 20 or so,

this is for san jose

--
leo4

Last edited by a moderator:
So I applied exactly 3 months before my 5 years of GC life. I never received a receipt - the fingerprinting notice came within 3 weeks of my application. My wife and I applied at the same time and checks wer cashed simultaneously but her fingerprinting notice did not come till 3 months after mine. There was no receipt for her either.

Fingerprinting was smooth. I called the FBI line the next day to make sure they had it and tey told me the results were sent to USCIS a couple of hours ago.

Interview notice came with a 4 week leadtime. Went in to the interview room for a 9:05 interview at about 8:30. Took a copy of the NY Times to read as I had no clue how long it would take. It was interesting that a few people got called in and came out holding a naturalization certificate. As far as I know they do not administer individual oaths at the San Jose DO. Anyway, I got called in at around 9:10 to my surprise. The IO introduced himself and told me he had looked at my application that morning. He then noted that I traveled extensively (I was out 16 times during my 5 years) and we got in to a discussion about how China was doing (I'm from India but I travel a lot to China). He then started walking me thru the app. I put in that I was a member of IEEE and his son was too. So he digressed for about 2-3mins to talk about engg careers. I had ticked yes for the "Have you ever been cited..." and just put "Traffic related only" in the comments. He asked me if they were just citations and I said yes, that was the end of it. I think he flipped to my FBI clearance to make sure. After that he walked me through the rest of the app and made me sign my photographs and asked me the std interview questions all from the booklet.

I then interrupted him and asked him if I could get the Feb 21st oath date as I travel overseas extensively. He said that was full but Mar 7th had a couple of openings. He put a sticky on my app saying that he was recommeding I be put in for Mar 7th. He also popped out to see if he could get my oath letter right then but came back saying he would mail it out to me the same day. He then handed me the N-445 and that was that.

My interview was on Thursday, I received my oath letter the following Monday. I went through a little bit of heartburn as they had a typo of my name on the oath letter. I scheduled an Infopass to make sure they had the right name on the nat cert but canceled it after hearing they make changes on the spot.

Mar 7th, went for my oath, the spelling was correct on the nat cert. I had traveled outside the country. The IO asked me if I had been to India. I said no. He said" you should not tick yes for this question". I told him I had been to the UK though...he said "Oh, how many days, I said 4 and he wrote OK in Red on my oath letter.

Then we got the oath done and that was that. I'm going to SFO passport office on Tuesday and that should hopefully be that.

App: July 29, 06
Received: Aug 8, 06
FP: September 20th, 06
Interview: Feb1, 07
Oath: Mar 7, 07

Hope that helps and thank you to everyone for helping over the last decade.

Was your IO last name Gonzales? I remember during my interview he also noticed that I was member of IEEE in schools and mentioned that his son was too. Maybe he sees too many engineers and has the habit of mentioning this. Very Nice guy!