San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Called custoemr service today to find out why i have not interview letter when its been 4 months now since my fingerprinting.
Lady was very helpful. Took all my info and told that she would send a note to USCIS and I should hear back from them within next 45 days...

Keeping my finger crossed :)

Did she say that she will send a note to service center or to local district office? I have read on this forum that if a note is sent to local district office, then they often respond that case is at service center and they are waiting for case files to be transferred.

Me too happigal. I am @ 1pm appointment. If luck permits, let us meet.
I am too excited and counting a day more to go between the citizenships.
I am excited to be there and congratulate who got letters for tomorrow. And remaining folks, I wish you good luck. I am going to apply PP tomorrow and will keep you guys posted on the next step, PIO/OCI apps.

Here is my timeline for my wife and me

CSC/San Jose DO

PD : Aug 17 2006
Checks cashed: Aug 23
NOA and FP notice arrived together : Sep 5 (same day for both of us)
FP date: walk in on Sep 16th/ sched for Sep 20 (never called FBI so don't know about the clearances)
online status disappeared: Dec 7
IV letter recvd: Dec 8 (postmarked Dec 6th )
IV @ San jose do : Feb 15 2007 (same day and time for both of us)
waiting for oath

The interview process was very simple, a review of the application with the standard questions being asked like ever commited a crime/owe taxes etc . The history test was simple and the officer asked me to write the answers to the 10 qns in brief sentences. She did ask to see my SSN card to verify my middle name. Also had to write a simple English sentence. We both got letters of approval after the interviews and the officers said that the oath letters will arrive in the next 3 months for both of us.
We did not call FBI after the FP and let the process take its own course, no point in worrying about things out of our control. We also did not register with the status website and started checking status daily only after 2 months from FP date.
I have been noticing a slowdown in the process for SJ do for IV and oath process tracking all the info that has been posted by others. Hope my timeline is useful to others.

Good luck to everyone that is waiting for Interview/oath letter. You'll all be done soon I'm sure. :)

I am done with my journey as I finished the oath today. Overall, the ceremony was quite smooth and everything was done within an hour or so. Managed to get my passport application in before the post office closed at 3pm so that was a relief. :D

Hi happigal,

Congratsa gain !!
Yes the oath ceremony was on the short side last just around an hour.

How busy was the post office with application? I
am planning to go tomorrow for my passport so just want to make sure that I am not there for hours.

Hi Imy....the post office that I went to was the one on Kiely Blvd.

There was 3 families in front of me and we waited in line for about 45mins. We got there around 3.05pm (that's why I stated we got lucky since they close at 3pm) and was done by 4pm or thereabouts.

The post office on Meridian is much bigger and does have seating so depending on where you are, this might be your best bet.

I think if you go earlier, it might not be so crowded. :)

The latest district office processing dates confirms the noticeable slowdown in the San Jose office:

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/officeProcesstimes.jsp?selectedOffice=72

This proves that they are falling outside processing targets. This is not happening with Sacramento and San Francisco which are within processing targets. I just hope they allocate more resources, do some load balancing among close district offices or just that they don't crawl to a standstill. After tracking San Jose for quite a while I was hoping they could continue their trend towards faster processing. I think they are slacking now that the processing date reporting changed a while back and it is more difficult to compare performance with other offices.

My 2 cents.

SJ has slowed down a lot and it is not just because of the holiday season. I was lucky somehow and had better luck than most SJ applicants.
The load balancing with other offices may be a good idea but Sacramento is too far ;-)

I noticed today that the processing date for cases in SJ office has changed to June 30. Usually they increment the dates by a month. But this time the dates have progressed by 15 days only.

I noticed today that the processing date for cases in SJ office has changed to June 30. Usually they increment the dates by a month. But this time the dates have progressed by 15 days only.

Hi ca_an, get in line ;) I already reported this. It means they are falling out of processing targets, i.e. slow down, i.e. will probably have to sit twiddling our thumbs a bit longer :(

It looks like they have been slipping in their processing time for quite a few months, but finally they fell out of their processing goal and we're noticing it.

Hello All,
Yesterday was my oath ceremony.
I was there @12:15pm. I was let in around 12:45pm.
There were people from 61 nations. Majority are the following
India, china, vietnam and mexico. Remaining are a small crowd. They cover 85% to 94% of the total crowd.
Here was the schedule

1. Video
2. Information about Voter registration - in many languages. I was surprised there was no indian language mentioned in the voter registration as they one of the majority
3. Oath
4. Pledge
5. Faces of nation Video
6. Speech by the officer who is holding the oath ceremony
7. distribution of the certificates
I was done by 2:30pm.
Eventhough I was earlier, I could not apply passport day before. I applied on 22nd only @ hedding drive. I paid additional 7 bucks for the fedex. I could have saved 7bucks if I went to post office.

If I were you for the next oath ceremony, go to another post office (not in meridian avenue or post office with appointments only).

I might have given an incorrect order. Others can correct the sequencing of the whole ceremony.

Hi Imy....the post office that I went to was the one on Kiely Blvd.

There was 3 families in front of me and we waited in line for about 45mins. We got there around 3.05pm (that's why I stated we got lucky since they close at 3pm) and was done by 4pm or thereabouts.

The post office on Meridian is much bigger and does have seating so depending on where you are, this might be your best bet.

I think if you go earlier, it might not be so crowded. :)

That was great luck you made it nick of time.
I went to the Meridian yesterday and it was very crowded about 100 people (no joke). So I left immediately.
Today in the morning went to the post office on Lafayette near Montague and had no problem at all. Had to only wait 3 mins and was done in 15 minutes.

I did not get any receipt that I have turned in my certificate, did you? Only thing I got as proof was the receipt for passport processing fee. Just a little concerned that I have no proof if it happens to get lost. I went for normal processing as I don't see any need for travel in next 2 months.

That was great luck you made it nick of time.

Name check cleared in 2 weeks - great luck
Got interview letter with in a month after FP - great luck
Making it to the post office at nick of time to apply for a passport which won't be used or is needed any time soon - great luck? Come on people, please be considerate to the emotions of people that are patiently waiting for months and in some cases years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name check cleared in 2 weeks - great luck
Got interview letter with in a month after FP - great luck
Making it to the post office at nick of time to apply for a passport which won't be used or is needed any time soon - great luck? Common people, please be considerate to the emotions of people that are patiently waiting for months and in some cases years.

Hi,

Not meant to hurt anyone's feeling. I have also gone though many months long citizenship process that I feel I am lucky because there are few who's process is going into years now.

So I officially change my previous statement from "great luck" to "lucky" only. I agree that is more appropriate.

Hello All,
Yesterday was my oath ceremony.
I was there @12:15pm. I was let in around 12:45pm.
There were people from 61 nations. Majority are the following
India, china, vietnam and mexico. Remaining are a small crowd. They cover 85% to 94% of the total crowd.
Here was the schedule

1. Video
2. Information about Voter registration - in many languages. I was surprised there was no indian language mentioned in the voter registration as they one of the majority
3. Oath
4. Pledge
5. Faces of nation Video
6. Speech by the officer who is holding the oath ceremony
7. distribution of the certificates
I was done by 2:30pm.
Eventhough I was earlier, I could not apply passport day before. I applied on 22nd only @ hedding drive. I paid additional 7 bucks for the fedex. I could have saved 7bucks if I went to post office.

If I were you for the next oath ceremony, go to another post office (not in meridian avenue or post office with appointments only).

I might have given an incorrect order. Others can correct the sequencing of the whole ceremony.

Forgot that we sang the Star Spangled Banner before we took the oath. :)

I did not get any receipt that I have turned in my certificate, did you? Only thing I got as proof was the receipt for passport processing fee. Just a little concerned that I have no proof if it happens to get lost. I went for normal processing as I don't see any need for travel in next 2 months.

Hi Imy....I didn't get a receipt stating that the Passport agency had my Naturalization certificate. The only thing I have as proof is the receipt that I sent the application as expedited.

I made a copy in color of my certificate before I applied for my passport just in case :D I hope you were able to do the same.

Call me paranoid...but even though I'm not travelling soon, I don't want them to hold on to something so precious thus the expedited processing.

Hi Imy....I didn't get a receipt stating that the Passport agency had my Naturalization certificate. The only thing I have as proof is the receipt that I sent the application as expedited.

I made a copy in color of my certificate before I applied for my passport just in case :D I hope you were able to do the same.

Call me paranoid...but even though I'm not travelling soon, I don't want them to hold on to something so precious thus the expedited processing.

Seeing some threads that it is taking longer then usual on PP processing I am having 2nd thoughts on maybe I should have gone with the expedited processing too. They are saying because of new rules (everyone need PP to go to even Mex. or Can) it is taking 3 weeks instead of 2 for expedited and solid 8 weeks for normal processing.

Oh well too late now. Please post when you get yours.

Hi Imy...I will post when I get my passport.

Yes, I did see a couple of posts in the expedited passport thread that stated it's taking a little longer than usual for the processing time.

Oh well....at least we know the Passport Agency is not as unpredictable as USCIS and that we'll get our passports in 3 - 8 weeks (depending on whether it's expedited or not) :D