San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Any one applied on March?

Is there any book some one can refer to prepare for the Civic exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was given a small book with a CD when I went for fingerprinting. CD (track 2) played in my car during commute for a week, I was done stuyding.

At the time of finger printing they will give you a book and CD. That will do.
Somebody asked if any one has received IL. I received my IL 10 days back.
My interview is on Apr 10th

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
08/28/2006 : Mailed to CSC
09/08/2006 : Priority Date (and Receive Date)
10/02/2006 : FP Done
04/10/2007 : Interview Appointment
??/??/???? : Oath

San Jose DO

Interview passed on : 2/14/2007
Oath Letter ?????

Has anyone got OL for Oath Dates after 21st Match ? please reply..

Passed the Interview, Oath on April 18th, 2007, some other tips

Passed the Interview on March 14, 2007, Oath on April 18th, 2007 (according to the officer, not received the letter yet).

The officer asked all the general questions regarding my application. Then she handed me a printed form with 10 civics questions (all from the Lessons only). My name was printed at the bottom. She asked me to read each question out loud and give the answers. I answered all of them correctly. Once I was done she said congratulations and informed me that I passed the test and asked me to sign in a couple of papers and also gave me a form (like a receipt that I passed). Then she said the oath is on April 18th at Campbell and that I'm allowed to bring my family.

Some other tips: Leave your cell phones in your car, Don't wear belts, arrive early, My interview was sceduled at 7:25 AM, but I was all done and on the road at 7:30 AM because we started the interview around 7:15 AM or so.

But here are the dates for the benefit of others:
Oath: April 18, 2007 (according to the officer); Interview date: March 14, 2007; PD: Aug 1, 2006, FP Done: Aug 15, 2006

ramrama.. do you actually have the oath letter yet? the IO told me oath is on april too but i haven't got the oath letter..

oh and in the interview you supposed to write a random sentence in english so i think that's what she made you do.. it has nothing to do with shorten your name.. i was asked to write a sentence at the bottom of one of the form as well.

Hi bnb913,

Even I was told on phone (San jose DO) that I am scheduled for oath on
18th Apr, but no oath letter yet.. anybody else in the same boat?? please post here.

pd: 17-aug-06
fp: 13-oct-06
interview: 14-feb-07
oath letter ?????

Hi bnb913,

Even I was told on phone (San jose DO) that I am scheduled for oath on
18th Apr, but no oath letter yet.. anybody else in the same boat?? please post here.

pd: 17-aug-06
fp: 13-oct-06
interview: 14-feb-07
oath letter ?????

You actually called the DO directly? Or was it the 800-375#?

Hi Huracan,

Quick Update

02/14/2007 : Mailed to CSC
02/15/2007 : Priority Date (and Receive Date)
02/21/2007 : Check cashed
02/23/2007 : Notice Date (Received in the mail on 02/28/07)
03/14/2007 : FP Notice Date
04/06/2007 : FP Appointment
??/??/???? : FP Done. Walk-In
??/??/???? : Interview Appointment

Can we go to the FP with our kids? My appt is at 12 PM and my wife's at 1 PM.

Also can we go for FP prior to the actual appt date, and how early??

Thanks

Srinivasa

Hi Huracan,

Quick Update

02/14/2007 : Mailed to CSC
02/15/2007 : Priority Date (and Receive Date)
02/21/2007 : Check cashed
02/23/2007 : Notice Date (Received in the mail on 02/28/07)
03/14/2007 : FP Notice Date
04/06/2007 : FP Appointment
??/??/???? : FP Done. Walk-In
??/??/???? : Interview Appointment

Can we go to the FP with our kids? My appt is at 12 PM and my wife's at 1 PM.

Also can we go for FP prior to the actual appt date, and how early??

Thanks

Srinivasa

Yes, you can go with kids, of course they will expect that you can control them and won't run around, things like that :)

Remember to leave your cell phone in the car.

You can go ahead of time, I did that. However, at the speed things are moving at San Jose it will probably not help, and if things really slow down it might even make you more likely to require a second visit for fingerprints. Of course I am exaggerating a bit on having to go for a second visit if the fingerprints expire. You ask how early you can go, and I tell you that you can go tomorrow if you want, no problem, unless they have a busy day and they ask you to come later.

My 2 cents.

anybody in san jose area who applied last november and received interview notice? been waiting on the edge of my seat...

11/01/06 - mailed to CSC
12/01/06 - FP done
...where is IV???

Case status not updated ~45 days after FP

Dear friends,
I gave my prints around Feb 1. When I check my case status on uscis.gov using my WSC* number, there is no update that they received the prints..

How long does it typically take for the system to be updated?
Thanks

DO - San Jose / CA

cjoshi_99 i think in the previous pages people said they send out the oath letter about 1 month before the oath date, so i think we should receive it soon.. (hopefully) let's keep each other updated.. the 800# people can usually tell you if a letter has been sent out or not..

uspass uscis NEVER, as in never never, updated the status online that they received your print.. supposedly the only time the status change is when you receive the iV letter, then the status disappear online and you can't find your case.. however that's not the case with me.. i received IL, done with interview, and status online is still pending as "we received your application on ... and still pending"

uspass uscis NEVER, as in never never, updated the status online that they received your print.. supposedly the only time the status change is when you receive the iV letter, then the status disappear online and you can't find your case.. however that's not the case with me.. i received IL, done with interview, and status online is still pending as "we received your application on ... and still pending"

That's correct. The online status tool is not very useful and not at all consistent for tracking naturalization application.

A theory of slowness

Well, theory sounded cooler than hypothesis, and this in turn cooler than speculation which is what my posting is really about.

I speculate that San Jose is being so slow lately because of a fall out from the rescheduling of interviews a few months ago. Then, I think the rescheduling had to do with a decrease of resources for N-400 interviews. So, my speculation is that at some point towards the end of last year (perhaps budget reduction at the beginning of the fiscal year) they reduced the amount of officers assigned to perform naturalization interviews. This was probably somewhat unexpected so they had to send deschedule notices to a number of applicants. These poor folks were of course first in line for the first available interview slots. It seems San Jose is still processing the rescheduled interviews and hasn't cleared that backlog to start scheduling the other folks still waiting for the interview letter.

Seems a plausible explanation, don't you think.

My 2 cents.

New processing times posted, and the news are, ... bad :( Less than a month movement forward ( I believe last month processing date was June 22) , and now San Jose has a full month of backlog. San Jose is processing July 12, instead as August 12 or better as most of the other offices. I hope they find a way to solve whatever issue they have and we start seeing interview letters again. At least San jose is doing better than Fresno ;) Good luck to everyone.

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/officeProcesstimes.jsp?selectedOffice=72

My 2 cents.

wife's interview done yesterday - still waiting for my IL

my wife had her interview appt yesterday. everything went smooth, and the whole thing took less than 15min. the officer told her that the oath will be either 4/18 or 5/3.

on the other hand, my case (applied at the same time as my wife) is still pending :( ... i have contacted the congresswoman from my district and they said they are going to contact FBI (as the file is stuck in name check) and give them about a month to respond. keeping my fingers crossed.

my timeline
-----------
receipt date: 8/23/2006
FP date: 9/27/2006
interview: ??/??/????
oath: ??/??/????