San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

takadigi said:
There is some descrepancy here. Usually name check does not even start until FP has been done. So, you couldn't have cleared name check in 1st wk of June when you were finger printed in 3rd wk of June. Otherwise, I am in the exact same boat as you are (my timelines are in the footer - name check was cleared within one wk of FP).

Thanks. I remember having expressed the same doubt and the officer seems to have told me that FP and name check are two different, unconnected things.

If the delay is due to inefficiency, I'm not sure why only our two (or may be a few more) applications are impacted. Is there anyone else in the forum or known to those in the forum whose date is ~ May 22 and did not get an interview letter?

zenship said:
If the delay is due to inefficiency, I'm not sure why only our two (or may be a few more) applications are impacted. Is there anyone else in the forum or known to those in the forum whose date is ~ May 22 and did not get an interview letter?
It's not just the two of us. There are many that are waiting. Out of 7 people that I personally know that applied in April/May of 2006, 5 are waiting for interview call. It is just that they do not post at these forums.

Do they ask questions from the list of 100 only?

Do we have to learn any thing other than those 100 questions? An can we answer in our own words or does it have to be word for word?

Thanks
Gayatri

Interview Done...my experience

Finished my interview today at San Jose DO. Officer was really nice and friendly and polite.

Passed English, civics, and interview...got approval check for N-652. IO stated that I should get the oath letter in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Good luck to everyone who will be taking their interview soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
happigal said:
Hey henrysh...here's the proof that states why San Jose DO doesn't do Name Changes during N400 processing.

Q. Why can’t I change my name during the citizenship process?

A. The U.S. Northern California District Court previously presided over the naturalization of new citizens in the San Jose jurisdiction. However, in August 2004, this court decided that they would no longer participate or preside over the naturalization of new citizens of the San Jose USCIS office. Their past involvement also included the authority to change names. USCIS does not have the authority to change names and as a result, name changes cannot be made in our office. Persons interested in changing their name must do so with the State of California prior to or after becoming naturalized.

Thanks happigal! Seems it may cost me more money and time if I want to change my name :)

Hi henrysh...yes it would...that's why I decided against changing my name. It would have cost me like $400 or thereabouts just to remove a space in my name. I think I'll save the $400 and live with the space in my name since the $400 doesn't include the cost to get a new Naturalization certificate and then the time it takes to change your passport as well (this is free if done within a year).

Also, I found that you'll need to announce the name change in a newspaper for like a month or something which means more money.

My opinion, if you can live with your name the way it is...you'll save a whole lot of money.

Anyone got oath letter for Feb 2007

Anyone got oath letter for Feb 2007? Want to see how the trend is for the January candidates intervew.

Interview..

..just got done with the interview.. everything went smooth and I was in there for about 30 min (we were generally chatting). The friendly officer mentioned that they are working on the FEb 21st Oath cermony..and that I might be able to get into that.

Mailed on: 6/15/06
FP : 7/13/06
1st Interview Date 11/29/06 (descheduled)
2nd Interview Date: 01/24/07
Oath Date: ..tik tok tik tok..

Anyone knows the Feb oath dates for SJ?
My interview was in late Dec 2006 and am still waiting for the oath letter. I had already told the officer that I will be traveling and will not be able to take the oath in January 17th so he should schedule me in Feb which he said would not be a problem. I still have not recieved oath letter and want to find out when are the Feb 24th oath dates.

Btw, if you put your mail on hold with the post office do you know letter from immigration are also kept or returned back.
thanks

The IO that interviewed me didn't mention anything about oaths being held at the local DO.

Who knows..maybe they will start doing that after Feb? :confused:

Please let me know when you get your oath letter and when it's for. As long as we get oath letters....doesn't really matter where it's held :) Oath is oath and we'll be US citizens..yippee!

No receipt notice for ~4 weeks of filing..

My N400 was mailed to California DO on Jan 5 and no word so far..
About a week back few of you posted and were on the same boat - any further updates.

Is it becoming common that receipt notice and FP notice arrive around the same time after 3+ weeks

Will appreciate if you post your info if you applied around same time;
Thanks

takadigi , i got the interview letter

PD June 23
FP July 29
IL (date on letter) Jan 12

If it helps i called the 1800 number about 2 weeks ago and inquire about my case. The rep said since it's out of the normal time (more than 6 months since PD) she would put in a request to rush it.. I'm not sure if it's because of that or not, but i receive the IL shortly after. Thought it's worth a try.

hello,
I tried various options.

1. Called the 800 number
2. Contacted the senator
3. Infopass appointments

One fine day in step 1, the representative filed for a expedite request for me also and said they will respond within 30 days and I got the IL immediately. I engaged with Senator in parallel and anyways the Senator's response was very prompt and they attached a copy of followup. I am really happy about the service of the senator for the californians.

bnb913 said:
takadigi , i got the interview letter

PD June 23
FP July 29
IL (date on letter) Jan 12

If it helps i called the 1800 number about 2 weeks ago and inquire about my case. The rep said since it's out of the normal time (more than 6 months since PD) she would put in a request to rush it.. I'm not sure if it's because of that or not, but i receive the IL shortly after. Thought it's worth a try.
I did the same thing again a couple of days ago and the rep did put in a request to rush it. Actually, this is not the first time that I call the number but this is the first time I got a helpful customer service rep. I will wait and see if anything comes out of it.

hi takadigi,
do u know ur name check is completed?
if so then u should be getting the IV letter soon.
They are prompt once an expedite request is sent. Did they say they will get back to you in 30 days?

uspass said:
My N400 was mailed to California DO on Jan 5 and no word so far..
About a week back few of you posted and were on the same boat - any further updates.

Is it becoming common that receipt notice and FP notice arrive around the same time after 3+ weeks

Will appreciate if you post your info if you applied around same time;
Thanks

Update: I got the receipt notice!! hopefully will get the FP notice in a few days

r2ichennai2007 said:
hi takadigi,
do u know ur name check is completed?
if so then u should be getting the IV letter soon.
They are prompt once an expedite request is sent. Did they say they will get back to you in 30 days?
Yes, my name check was completed a long time ago. And yes, they did tell me that they would get back to me in 45 days.

userofimmi said:
Hello,

Updated list for tracking ID dates with FP dates.

Given the uncertainity of interview dates in San Jose, I compiled the following list by going through the recent posts. This should give, all the people who have done their FP and waiting for IL, an idea of how things are going in SJ and when to expect IL .

If others can add to this list, we can get a quick idea how things are going in SJ. Also if Samsung-Adams and Sanjosen400u can post the exact dates, it may help others.

If this post offends anyone (as I extracted the info from their posts), please let me know and I will remove this post immediately.

Takadigi: FP: Jun 22 ID: Not yet
happigal: FP Jul 20 ID: Jan 23
usguy: FP Aug 08 ID: Dec 19
RamRama: FP: Aug 15 ID: Mar 14
CLEL: FP Aug25 ID ???
SamSung-Adams: FP: Sep 15 ID: Feb 14
SanJosen400u: FP: Sep ?? ID: Mar ??
n400aug06: FP: Sep 21 ID: Mar 15
kbalabha65: FP: Sep 27 ID: Not yet
CMD: FP: Oct 12: IDL Not yet
Premo: FP: Nov 08 ID: Feb 25 (Interview in Sacramento)
henrysh: FP: Nov 25 ID: Not yet
Huracan: FP: Dec 29 ID: Not yet

Thank you