San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

userofimmi said:
Hello,
Huracan: FP: Sep 07 ID: Feb 07
Thank you

userofimmi,

Thanks for compiling this information, but please update my information in your list. You can see the right information for my case in my signature below.

Thanks.

First I heard of this. Seems hard to understand this requirement. As one
of the requirements now is to have the FBI clearance done before interview.
Which I guess caused a lot of issues previous where you passed the interview but then had to wait for oath as the FBI clearance was done.

This 45 days notification before Interview seems like just stretching out the time to interview to me. I would rather have a short time once the FBI clearance is done until interview. It clearly was not 45 days from notice to
interview for me. Was about 5 weeks. Approximately 35 days.

I think your assumption is that immigration is going to give you a earlier
notice that things are in the works and you will for sure get a interview in 45 days. Unfortuately it doesn't work this way with INS.

Oath related Queries

Folks,

I have few questions related to oath ceremony -

Are kids allowed to be there at ceremony with parents (if both parents are getting oath same day) ?

Also are cellphones and cameras totally NOT allowed at ceremony ?

Thanks in anticipation

AG

agcal said:
Folks,

I have few questions related to oath ceremony -

Are kids allowed to be there at ceremony with parents (if both parents are getting oath same day) ?

>> Yes. They will set in a different part of the theatre though than where the people that are getting the oath. Everyone that is getting oath sit together away from family members.

Also are cellphones and cameras totally NOT allowed at ceremony ?

>> Both are allowed I think. For cellphones they asked to turn off well ceremony was on. For cameras I believe there were some there as I though I saw flashes.

Thanks in anticipation

AG

No idea about very young kids. I did see kids their but I don't remember seeing any that young. But you might want to consider a babysitter. I guess it really depends on whether you think he might something out of attending the ceremony and if he can be well behaved and not cry.

If it was me I would consider the babysitter. Just because you really want to enjoy the oath cermony and not worry about your kid possibilily getting out of sorts.

But again I guess it's up to you. I am assuming the kid you are referring to is yours so I guess you have to make the call. You might want to call up INS and ask about bring him.

Hello

My PD is ~May 22. Namecheck cleared first week of June. FP in 3rd week of June cleared within 24 hours. First Infopass, I was told my paperwork was not yet received from service center. 2nd infopass after 45 days, I was told everything is in place and I have to wait for interview letter. Any guesses on what may be happening? Someone told me unusual delays like this mean that there is some investigation going on. Does anyone have more insights into what may be going on?

us-guy:

You may have misunderstood what I said. The 45-day notice means: they are giving you 45 days ahead to prepare for the interview (schedule your travel plan, etc), instead of giving you a short notice. In your case however, they gave you only 35 days.

It is not a requirement on our side, but how they are trying to streamline things.

Folks, just to add my status to the list:
Notice: 09/13/06
FP: 10/12/06 << done.
Interview: ??
Oath: ??

I went here for status
https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp
and the status says

Receipt Number: WSC*------------

Application Type: N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Current Status: Case received and pending.

On September 14, 2006, we received this N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case.

Last Update: 9/22/2006.

Any idea what I can do to check for any more info?

- CMD

You could always call USCIS to see what's going on...but most likely, they will give you the same information that you see online.

Who knows, you might get lucky and actually talk to someone that is nice and will give you more info. Unfortunately, I have yet to encounter a nice person on the phone. :D

zenship said:
My PD is ~May 22. Namecheck cleared first week of June. FP in 3rd week of June cleared within 24 hours. First Infopass, I was told my paperwork was not yet received from service center. 2nd infopass after 45 days, I was told everything is in place and I have to wait for interview letter. Any guesses on what may be happening? Someone told me unusual delays like this mean that there is some investigation going on. Does anyone have more insights into what may be going on?
There is some descrepancy here. Usually name check does not even start until FP has been done. So, you couldn't have cleared name check in 1st wk of June when you were finger printed in 3rd wk of June. Otherwise, I am in the exact same boat as you are (my timelines are in the footer - name check was cleared within one wk of FP).

To answer your question on pending investigation, the only investigation is FBI background check. And even if one has cleared it, there could still be delays. Further delay is not a definitive indication to pending investigation. It just shows inefficiencies at USCIS particularly for those who have already cleared name check.

SJ oath letter times

Hi all,

I had my interiview on Dec 27th and was told that I will be getting the oath letter in mail shortly.
The person even talked that there may be some space left in the Jan 17th ceremony.
Well its Jan 22nd I am still waiting for the letter. Is 4 weeks delay normal for oath letter for SJ location? Can some one share their timeline for SJ (in last 3-4 months) the time it took them to get the oath letter.
Thanks for your input!

Anyone here checked the name change in N400 in San Jose

Anyone here checked the name change box in N400 application in the San Jose service center. I read and am aware that San Jose doesn't do name change. But I want to know how do they treat the application. Do they just ignore that you've selected name change or do they ask you to remove the checkbox.

Has anyone else gone through this in the San Jose office. Also has anyone successfully done a name change through the decree from court or otherwise. Please post some additional details.

Thanks for your help.

My timelines
PD: Aug 2, 2006
FP: Aug 15, 2006
Interview: Mar 14, 2007
Oath: ????

Sorry to hear that...

kbalabha65 said:
Hi Sam Adams
Hi...
The interview letter was exactly the same as the fingerprinting one, same envelope and everything...
I hope you get yours soon...

I had my :mad: FP done in September as well but did not receive any interview letter as yet. I assume these letters are sent via regular mail and have the Dept of Homeland Security label on them? (just like the ones I got for NOA and FP). Can you please confirm? The online case status still shows my case pending with the CSC, not sure if I need to schedule an Infopass to find out why the delay?..As others have mentioned the San Jose office is the worst in the country...Just want to make sure my IL is not lost in the mail..Appreciate any help/advice

My fingerprinting

was on sept 15th and interview Feb 14th... and i find your summation useful...
thank you

userofimmi said:
Hello,

Given the uncertainity of interview dates in San Jose, I compiled the following list by going through the recent posts. This should give, all the people who have done their FP and waiting for IL, an idea of how things are going in SJ and when to expect IL :) .

If others can add to this list, we can get a quick idea how things are going in SJ. Also if Samsung-Adams and Sanjosen400u can post the exact dates, it may help others.

If this post offends anyone (as I extracted the info from their posts), please let me know and I will remove this post immediately.

Takadigi: FP: Jun 22 ID: Not yet
RamRama: FP: Aug 15 ID: Mar 14
Huracan: FP: Sep 07 ID: Feb 07
SamSung-Adams: FP: Sep ?? ID: Feb 14
SanJosen400u: FP: Sep ?? ID: Mar ??
kbalabha65: FP: Sep 27 ID Not yet
Premo: FP: Nov 08 ID: Feb 25 (Interview in Sacramento)

Thank you

ramrama said:
Anyone here checked the name change box in N400 application in the San Jose service center. I read and am aware that San Jose doesn't do name change. But I want to know how do they treat the application. Do they just ignore that you've selected name change or do they ask you to remove the checkbox.

Has anyone else gone through this in the San Jose office. Also has anyone successfully done a name change through the decree from court or otherwise. Please post some additional details.

Thanks for your help.

My timelines
PD: Aug 2, 2006
FP: Aug 15, 2006
Interview: Mar 14, 2007
Oath: ????

Ramrama: Are you sure San Jose doesn't do name change? From my understanding, name change has to be done before a judge. That means you have to attend an oath ceremony with attendance of a judge (instead of swearing right after the interview in front of an official which is ok in some areas).

Hey henrysh...here's the proof that states why San Jose DO doesn't do Name Changes during N400 processing.

Q. Why can’t I change my name during the citizenship process?

A. The U.S. Northern California District Court previously presided over the naturalization of new citizens in the San Jose jurisdiction. However, in August 2004, this court decided that they would no longer participate or preside over the naturalization of new citizens of the San Jose USCIS office. Their past involvement also included the authority to change names. USCIS does not have the authority to change names and as a result, name changes cannot be made in our office. Persons interested in changing their name must do so with the State of California prior to or after becoming naturalized.

My interview experience @San Jose DO - 01/22/2007

Hello Guys,
I had a good Interview experience today. I passed the exam, now I need to wait for the next waiting game of the Oath ceremony letter.

Interview questions - 10- answered correctly 9. - Passed

Note:
They will ask you to write in cursive writing on the photo and in one paper.

Overall the experience is wonderful. I would like to thank everyone in this board for sharing their experience and being very active in the San Jose DO.
I will post my further experiences in the next stage when I am ready for the OCI.

For details about my case, please do check my previous postings.

How the civic test performed?

Hi guy, there is a sily question:
Is the 10-question civic test performed as a pen and paper test, or as a oral test?

zhaoster said:
Hi guy, there is a sily question:
Is the 10-question civic test performed as a pen and paper test, or as a oral test?

Oral test and it is not taken like a test but is in a friendly manner but do make sure you know the answer to atleast 6 out of 10.