San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Jubilee1 said:
Say you are a citizen of the United States and another country that does allow dual citizenship, you need the passports of both countries to travel. The US immigration officers or the airlines do not care as long as you play by the rules and regulations of your travel source and destination countries.

If India allowed dual citizenship, I would have kept my Indian passport also and entered India with it. I had my Indian passport canceled only because Indian constitution required me to and not the US immigration laws.

When I said earlier "Even if India allows dual citizenship, as a new US citizen, you would get yourself in trouble if the US immigration officers find out that you are travelling with a non-US passport", what I meant, according to my understanding, is that a US citizen is required to travel with a US passport. So even if India allows dual citizenship, US immigration will not be happy if you, as a US citizen, travel with an Indian passport. I could be wrong, some else could confirm this.

As far as I know, it is a requirement for US citizens to travel with a US passport. Even if you possibly have dual American-Indian citizenship in the future, it doesn't matter for the US government. For the US government, you are a US citizen, period.

Bottomline is: U.S gov't want you to enter and exit U.S soil with US Passport, period. Once you're outside, I don't think it matters what passport you use. At least right now the law doesn't specifically demand you to enter another country/ies solely on US passport, otherwise, what's the point of allowing dual citizenship

My fingerpriting was in Sept 2006

Interview is scheduled for Feb 14th 2007 (San Jose, CA)

ramrama said:
N400 recd by CSC: 07/31/06, FP: 08/15/06, still waiting for interview letter.

Anyone else that matches my timelines who already have gotten the interview letter or not, please post so that I'll get an estimate.

Thanks

samsung_adams said:
Interview is scheduled for Feb 14th 2007 (San Jose, CA)

When did you receive the interview letter? Also, did the online status disappear? If so, when was it relative to your receipt of the interview letter? Thanks.

Why is SJ Office so slow (slowest in the country?)

I did a quick check on all other threads running in this forum. Almost all other DOs are faster - within 3 months! Texas service center at times does seem to be slow like SJ.
I really really really hope they either do load-balancing off to some close-by office or get more ppl to process cases faster.

Someone told me that this being election year things will move remarkably faster. True??

sammySam said:
I did a quick check on all other threads running in this forum. Almost all other DOs are faster - within 3 months! Texas service center at times does seem to be slow like SJ.
I really really really hope they either do load-balancing off to some close-by office or get more ppl to process cases faster.

Someone told me that this being election year things will move remarkably faster. True??

Actually last year, November 2006 was election year. I didn't notice any improvement in processing around election.

San Jose is probably doing something about the back log, I would n't have got my interview scheduled at Sacramento otherwise. I also confirmed the appointment by calling the 800 #.

sammySam said:

Yes. SJ seems to be crawling. My friend in Buffalo (NY) DO got interview letter within 30 days of FP (which was done in early Dec 06). I do understand that SJ area has a lot of immigrant population and hence the DO would have long lists to process. But, since all of us at all DOs pay the same fee, they should distribute personnel amongst various DOs to make processing speeds uniform. Or send us to Oakland, SF or elsewhere (by giving us a choice?). Well, this is just wishful thinking on my part :rolleyes:

This wait would not be so frustrating if there were some transparency to the process.

If I knew that my forms were all in order and that they aren't going to bother me for the speeding ticket I got three years back or for having N (> 7) residential addresses in 5 years, I would be more relaxed.

And what's funny is that I haven't even waited that long. There are folks on this forum who've been waiting for EVAR! :(

SJC FP walk-in

I see some of them had done their walk-in FP in SJC. We have our apt on 01/20/07. Can we go in early like 1/15 or 1/16 instead of changing our FP appointment date.

Please post your experience, what is the the best time to go for FP walk-in and how long will it take once we go in there and how big is the queue? Are the kids allowed in the premisis?

FP location: 122 Charcot, San jose (Not sure if there is more than one office for FP)

PD: 12/18/06
FPN:1/14/07
FPA: 1/20/06

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all I wouldn't overworry. The fingerprint process is pretty simple. I was lucky that I went during the Christmas holidays and there was no queue at all. I didn't have any issue and they took my fingerprints right away. I understand that walk-ins are fine as long as they aren't busy. I wouldn't change the date. Try to drop by at a day and time of your convenience, but be prepared to be turned down (I don't think it is very likely that they will turn you down), so it is better if you have another back up date. I am not sure whether someone in the forum spends day after day there checking what are the best times to go ;) I think I remember that Saturday is usually light and good. The process is:

Don't forget to bring your Green Card
Arrive to the application support center.
No cell phones inside.
Give FP notice to receptionist. I think either at this time or when you finish your form they'll ask you for the Green Card.
The receptionist will give you a simple form to fill.
I think you need to write your social security number, so consider this.
The form asks for the typical biographical information and height/weight.
Return the filled out form to receptionist.
They'll call you when it is your turn.
From this point the fingerprint technician will drive what you need to do. They'll ask you to wash your hands with a special solution and they'll direct your fingers to take the finger prints.
That's it. They'll also give you a package with citizenship questions (for the interview) and citizenship information.
Bringing children is fine. Of course they'll expect parents to keep them reasonably well behaved.

vaca_lechera said:
Interesting. I was neither asked to wash my hands nor was I handed a citizenship package. Pretty volatile procedures, eh? :)

The washing of hands was done in situ (i.e. not under a faucet with water) with a clear gel like liquid that dried up after a little while of rubbing the hands together.

Perhaps the citizenship package is something recent. I haven't read through the package, but it didn't seem to contain anything that can't be found online in the guide for naturalization.

I got my interview mail in the first week of December...

Fingerprinting in September 2006.

I have to go back to India for my sister's wedding in March. My interview is Feb 14th. Can i get an US passport and Indian visa in a week or is it wishful thinking?
:-(

Thanks
g

i dont think getting the passport or the visa is a concern. you can a passport within a couple days if you take your proof of travel to the SF passport office (you'll need an appointment). you can get a same-day indian visa too.

the envisaged delay is that between your actual interview and the oath date. good luck :)

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
12/01/2006 : Mailed to CSC
01/09/2007 : FP Appointment and FP
??/??/???? : Interview Appointment
??/??/???? : Oath

Interview date: March 14, 2007; PD: Aug 1, 2006, FP: Aug 15, 2006

I just received the interview notice from USCIS by surprise. I have been checking the website regularly, so I was expecting (according to lot of others) that the status has to disappear before the interview letter arrives at your door. In my case the status is still saying last update Aug 10, 2006. No new updates in the website and it has not disappeared.

But here are the dates for the benefit of others:

Interview date: March 14, 2007; PD: Aug 1, 2006, FP Done: Aug 15, 2006

FP Done

We went in for FP today 01/16/07 at 1.00PM even though our FPA is on 01/20/07. Since they were many people for FP at that time they asked us to come at about 3.00PM and check if there is any time for them. We did and we were out of that place in 20min (2 FP's done) and no one was in for FP at that time except couple them who were walking in at that time.

SJ FP Question

I am planning to do a walk-in for FP (notice came with 1/30 date when I will be traveling). What are the timings for the San Jose district office? And what are the best times to go in? Is early in the morning best?