One more data point, my friend has the following details

- PD - June 23, 05
- FP - rescheduled could not make it to the original one. Did it on 9/17
- Interview call received - 9/27
- Interview Date: 11/18

Last edited by a moderator:
ahacali said:
Hello all,

I will take my Oath in a few weeks in the San Francisco. I plan to apply for a passport on the same day. Since I will have to sumbit my certificate of naturalization with the passport application, do they allow a copy of it to be made prior to it's submission. I would like to have a copy for peace of mind.

Also, if there is no urgency, is there any pro/con to expedite processin vs. normal processing?

Thank you,
Aha.

Certificate of naturalization says that federal laws prohibit copying of this document.

Normal processing took less than 2 weeks for my wife and son

Just Applied

Hello all,

Started my N-400 process just recently. Details below:

Centre : San Jose
Application sent on : 9/14
Application received on : 9/23
Check cashed: ???

Thanks,

premald said:
Seems like the date moved to March 15, 2005. So at least they r updating the web-page.

Last month (in One month ) the date moved from March 1 to March 15. That means they are falling behind ( otherwise the date should have moved by 30 days in one month )

Agreed ...

The original poster (senthilvasan) is just making life difficult for him and over-reacting. Folks like him only serve to cause more trouble and confusion for readers of this forum and also needless work for the county workers in digging up old traffic cases.

senthilvasan, get a life. This is not India where you need copies of everything (in triplicate) from the day you are born :mad:

- the individual appliu

emlsc said:
NO WHERE in the I-400 or INS supporting documents is mentioned that you need to bring court or DMV printouts. You are just overacting and making this process unnecessary complicated. If you make an effort and read through the postings of people who did the interview, you will find out that no one was even asked for such printouts.
But, if bringing such a printout makes you feel better, go ahead!

Traffic Ticket - Certificate from court

I am not sure why folks cannot understand what people go through to come to this point of Citizenship. I personally have waited for 7 years for GC and 5 years for Citizenship. Those who go through it knows why people are so careful when it comes to immigration...

Also I have 3 traffic tickets which I had listed in my N-400. Now I have got the letter from USCIS saying that I need to produce a certificate from the related court when I go to Citizenship interview. Hence I don't think what Senthil did is wrong.... I am also going to the court soon and trying to get similar letter.

-Jaggu

court and dmv printouts

jramoshi said:
I am not sure why folks cannot understand what people go through to come to this point of Citizenship. I personally have waited for 7 years for GC and 5 years for Citizenship. Those who go through it knows why people are so careful when it comes to immigration...

Also I have 3 traffic tickets which I had listed in my N-400. Now I have got the letter from USCIS saying that I need to produce a certificate from the related court when I go to Citizenship interview. Hence I don't think what Senthil did is wrong.... I am also going to the court soon and trying to get similar letter.

-Jaggu

Free country - if it makes you feel better, get and bring such printouts.
Why do you list traffic tickets in your N-400? The questions are "have you ever committed crime or offense" and "have you ever been arrested, cited or detained". Parking tickets and similar traffic violations are not in this category. If you have been detained/arrested for DUI, speeding (over 110 miles/hour) or for other traffic violations where you endangered other people life, than you need to mention that in N-400. I’m not an attorney or expert in this field, just using common sense.
Obviously, we are all anxious to become US citizens. I see your point – better safe than sorry.

emlsc said:
Free country - if it makes you feel better, get and bring such printouts.
Why do you list traffic tickets in your N-400? The questions are "have you ever committed crime or offense" and "have you ever been arrested, cited or detained". Parking tickets and similar traffic violations are not in this category. If you have been detained/arrested for DUI, speeding (over 110 miles/hour) or for other traffic violations where you endangered other people life, than you need to mention that in N-400. I’m not an attorney or expert in this field, just using common sense.
Obviously, we are all anxious to become US citizens. I see your point – better safe than sorry.

Your point taken, but traffic tickets are citations. So not mentioning traffic tickets is a violation under oath, by which you could be denied citizenship. Will it happen, probably not, but like you said, better be safe than sorry.

Traffic Ticket - Certificate from court

When I filled up the form N-400, I was in confusion for quite some time (almost 2 weeks) about whether to put the traffic tickets or not. Eventually after talking to 2 attorneys, I decided to put the traffic ticket in the form only because of 2 reasons -

1. The previous N-400 (around year 2001) the question about offense was like - "Have you been detained, cited, arrested (excluding traffic tickets)"? Now in the present N-400 form, they have taken out "Excluding traffic tickets" line. So may be they want to know your traffic tickets as well.
2. If traffic tickets are not so important then why not put it? Why avoid?

-Jaggu

DO - San Jose
Applied - 7/29/2005
Priority date - 8/4/2005
FP notice - 8/21/2005
FP done - 9/17/2005
Waiting for interview notice

Oath ceremony dates for Nov 05-Mar 06

Just looked at the Campbell Heritage web site. Seems like the naturalization ceremony dates just got scheduled for Nov, Jan, Feb and March. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the ceremony scheduled for December:
http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/communityandarts/site/events.htm

Is it likely that they won't have a ceremony in December. Do they typicallly skip December due to holidays? Or do they have a special ceremony like they have in July?

My interview is on Nov 17th, hence I am particularly interested in December schedule :)

traffic ticket

jramoshi said:
When I filled up the form N-400, I was in confusion for quite some time (almost 2 weeks) about whether to put the traffic tickets or not. Eventually after talking to 2 attorneys, I decided to put the traffic ticket in the form only because of 2 reasons -

1. The previous N-400 (around year 2001) the question about offense was like - "Have you been detained, cited, arrested (excluding traffic tickets)"? Now in the present N-400 form, they have taken out "Excluding traffic tickets" line. So may be they want to know your traffic tickets as well.
2. If traffic tickets are not so important then why not put it? Why avoid?

-Jaggu

DO - San Jose
Applied - 7/29/2005
Priority date - 8/4/2005
FP notice - 8/21/2005
FP done - 9/17/2005
Waiting for interview notice

regarding section D, page 8 of form I-400
see A GUIDE TO NATURALIZATION, p28

Good Moral Character
25 A Guide to Naturalization
To be eligible for naturalization you must be a person of good moral character. USCIS will make a determination on your moral character based upon the laws Congress has passed. In the following section, we describe some of the things USCIS may consider. Criminal Record. Committing certain crimes may cause you to be ineligible for naturalization (USCIS calls these “bars” to naturalization). Aggravated felonies (committed on or after November 29, 1990) and murder are permanent bars. You may never become a citizen if you have committed one of these crimes. Other crimes are temporary bars. Temporary bars usually prevent you from becoming a citizen for a certain amount of time after you commit the crime.
The “Application for Naturalization” (Form N-400) asks several questions about crimes. You should report all crimes that you have committed including ones that have been expunged (removed from your record) and ones that happened before your 18th birthday. If you do not tell USCIS about
these crimes and we find out about them, you may be denied naturalization (even if the crime itself was not a crime for which your case could be denied). Lying. If you do not tell the truth during your interview, USCIS may deny your application for lacking good moral character. If USCIS grants you naturalization and you are later found to have lied during your interview, your citizenship may be revoked. Please note that if you have committed certain serious crimes, USCIS may decide to remove you from the United States. If you have questions, you may want to seek advice from an immigrant assistance organization or an immigration attorney before applying.

EXAMPLES of Things that Might Show a Lack of Good Moral Character
• Any crime against a person with intent to harm
• Any crime against property or the Government that involves
“fraud” or evil intent
• Two or more crimes for which the aggregate sentence was 5
years or more
• Violating any controlled substance law of the United States, any
state, or any foreign country
• Habitual drunkenness or drunk driving
• Illegal gambling
• Prostitution
• Polygamy (marriage to more than one person at the same time)
• Lying to gain immigration benefits
• Failing to pay court-ordered child support or alimony payments
• Confinement in jail, prison, or similar institution for which the
total confinement was 180 days or more during the past 5
years (or 3 years if you are applying based on your marriage to
a United States citizen)
• Failing to complete any probation, parole, or suspended
sentence before you apply for naturalization
• If you have recently been ordered deported or removed, you
are not eligible for citizenship. If you are in removal
proceedings, you may not apply for citizenship until the
proceedings are complete and you have been allowed to
remain in the country as a Permanent Resident.
• Terrorist acts
• Persecution of anyone because of race, religion, national origin,
political opinion, or social group

I still believe that traffic tickets are not in this category. If traffic ticket (not DUI or arrest related) is considered a CRIME, than most of the US population are criminals. Next week is my interview. I will ask if I had to mention the two parking and one traffic violation tickets I had for the last 5 years. And I will post the result.

My San Jose timeline

Here are my details for San Jose:-

Priority date: July 1st.
Interview Date: November 28th

Thanks

San Jose Timeline

District Office - San Jose
Mailed application - 8/29/2005
USCIS recieved app -9/12/2005 (???) - their website claims processing on the same date of recieving the app. Never got a piece of mail doing 15 days from San Jose to southern CA.
Priority date - 9/12/2005
Finger Printing notice mailed - 9/29/2005
scheduled for FP - 10/27/2005 @ ASC in San Jose, 122 Charcoat Ave

I listed my out traffic violations since I got cited, but didn't list the parking violations (those aren't citations)...

my N400 times

I sent the N400 application. I live in San Jose, CA. But sent the application to Laguna Hills, CA. Is it the right address to send to?

Here are my details.

Application sent on : 9/14
Application received on : 9/23
Check cashed: ???

I didn't realize that my posting in relating my experience with this process would cause so many people to get their panties into a bunch. I would like to think they each of you can come to your own conclusion as to what you want or don't want to put in your application.

Given that the I had a traffic CITATION for speeding (85 mph) and the question clearly states:
Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained...
, I would imagine you'd want to mention it. You don't have to mention parking tickets as those are not citations.

My lawyer asked me to include this as part of my application and it seems that other lawyers are recommending the same. See the first question from http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...24.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp, and I quote:

I am completing the N-400 form, the application for citizenship, and under ``Good Moral character,'' one of the questions is this: Question No. 16: ``Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including INS and military officers) for any reason?''

My question is: Does a traffic citation or ticket qualify under this category?

Mallick
Santa Clara

A The answer to this question has changed recently, said Susan Bowyer, managing attorney for the International Institute of the East Bay in Oakland.

Another application form, the I-485, for permanent residence, specifies that traffic citations aren't arrests. But the N-400 does not, she said.

You should mark ``Yes'' to question No. 16 even for a traffic citation, Bowyer said.

Although the citation won't affect your application to naturalize, if the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services suspects that an applicant is hiding something, it can deny the application, Bowyer said.

So, mark ``Yes,'' and fill in the information about the ticket in the boxes in the middle of Page 8 of the application, she said. Bowyer said you are not likely to be required to provide documentation about the ticket during your interview.

I have already successfully gotten my certificate of naturalization, and the interviewer did ask me about the ticket, and whether I had attended traffic school to have it cleared. Apparently, he was a former cop and had taught traffic school previously.

At the end of the day each of us has to make a risk analysis to determine at what lengths they would go to be safe. For me it was a case of getting the document from the court vs. the risk of being separated from my pregnant wife who does not have a green card.

YMMV,
Senthil.

San Jose timeline

Here is my timeline:

San Jose
P.D: 04/19/2005
F.P: 07/07/2005
Interview: 09/26/2005
Oath date: 10/19/2005

The interview went well. it only took about 15 minutes. She asked me
10 questions and they are all from the samples. I got the oath letter
4 days after my interview. I am happy that the process goes pretty fast