San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

iquest2000, congrats!
If it helps at all, I fully understand the emotions you are going through.

BTW, my wife also had her oath yesterday at Campbell. I am up for 2/19 @ Monterey Road.

iquest2000, congrats!
If it helps at all, I fully understand the emotions you are going through.

BTW, my wife also had her oath yesterday at Campbell. I am up for 2/19 @ Monterey Road.

Thanks complex ,It made me feel better ..

My Wife has not yet got OL but the call to USCIS said her oath is on 2/25

I see a pattern of oath letters being mailed on Friday and reaching on Monday/Tuesday so I am hoping she gets her letter on Monday

Timeline update

The whole application took about 5 months for me. The following is the updated timeline if you find it's helpful.

08/29/2009 - N400 Mailed
08/31/2009 - Phoenix received the letter
08/31/2009 - Priority Date
09/02/2009 - Check Cashed
09/08/2009 - NOA received
09/17/2009 - FP Notice received
10/06/2009 - FP schedule date
10/06/2009 - FP done
10/29/2009 - IL letter recieved
11/16/2009 - Interview passed
12/29/2009 - OL received
1/28/2010 - Oath date (at Campbell; took about 1 hour)

Got the OL today. It is scheduled on 2/25 in Campbell.
Thanks everyone here for sharing information.
Here is my timeline.

10/30/09 N-400 to Phoenix (Friday afteroon)
11/02/09 Received/Priority Date

11/13/09 FP Notice Date (I-797C)
11/18/09 FP Notice Letter Received
11/19/09 Walk in and get the fingerprinting done at San Jose, no question asked
12/07/09 Scheduled FP date

12/xx/09 Interview Letter Received
01/07/10 Interview (Passed the test, approved)

01/30/10 Oath letter received
02/25/10 Oath ceremony scheduled

Last edited by a moderator:
how to get passport on the same day at SFO ?

We got our passports done as well. Gotta say, the service is amazing. If it wasn't for the rude wanna be FBI agent security guys, the process was very smooth. Its $60 more per passport for expedited service plus your itinerary for leaving within 14 days.

Do we need to take prior appiontment ?, I am planning to go to India on 2/19, do you guys have any idea on how to expediate and get visa to India.

Folks,
I took the oath on Jan 28 to become a US citizen. I took me a little over 3.5 months to complete this process. My initial notice date was October 9. Completed my finger printing early on Nov 4. I passed my interview on Dec 17. The oath letter was supposedly mailed on Jan 5. But I never got the letter. So I scheduled an Infopass appointment on Jan 22 for the same day. I was given another copy of the letter that asked me to come for the oath on Jan 28. I applied for my passport on Jan 29 via expedited service. Will post when I get the passport.
Good luck to all of you and congrats to those who took the oath last Thursday. :)

So far getting the citizenship was smooth sailing. What I didn't realize is getting passport is a world of hurt in the Sillycon valley.

Most USPS offices have converted to an appointment system. That's fine but how the f*** you get an appointment. I keep calling post offices and most of the time getting weird messages. If people can't get appointment how can they apply for passport. Looks like someone is relaxing through the day at USPS passport office.

One post office I physically went to didn't have a passport appointment for Saturday for 2 weeks but on normal days their schedule looked quite empty. If I want to maybe make an appointment for week days I should be able to call. Right? Looks like I have to go there and stand in a line.

Few post offices who don't have appointment dole out tokens in the morning. Sheesh! This is like trying to get a H1N1 vaccine. You go there couple of hours late and the tokens are gone. WTF!

So far I have visited 3 post offices without luck and called 4-5 post offices without getting anyone. This is interesting or maybe it is just my bad day?

Anyone gone through this same thing in Sillycon valley?

Those folks scheduled for Feb 19 ceremony make sure to get your appointment from sucky USPS in advance.

So far getting the citizenship was smooth sailing. What I didn't realize is getting passport is a world of hurt in the Sillycon valley.

Most USPS offices have converted to an appointment system. That's fine but how the f*** you get an appointment. I keep calling post offices and most of the time getting weird messages. If people can't get appointment how can they apply for passport. Looks like someone is relaxing through the day at USPS passport office.

One post office I physically went to didn't have a passport appointment for Saturday for 2 weeks but on normal days their schedule looked quite empty. If I want to maybe make an appointment for week days I should be able to call. Right? Looks like I have to go there and stand in a line.

Few post offices who don't have appointment dole out tokens in the morning. Sheesh! This is like trying to get a H1N1 vaccine. You go there couple of hours late and the tokens are gone. WTF!

So far I have visited 3 post offices without luck and called 4-5 post offices without getting anyone. This is interesting or maybe it is just my bad day?

Those folks scheduled for Feb 19 ceremony make sure to get your appointment from sucky USPS in advance.
Yes, I would recommend getting the appointment in advance. I called the post office closest to where I live on Jan 26 and got an appointment for Jan 29 (the day after my oath taking). I got there on time and the whole process took about 10 mins. My experince wasn't frustrating at all. :)

Hello

Oath completed today at San Jose...
they check the letter at door and collect it at seating place along with GC.
Ceremony itself completed within 1 hour.The whole event was very well organized.

now to the emotions part of it...(if anybody is interested)

Not sure if this is normal but I felt both sad and happy today.I know I might draw flak or this but will share anyway)

Happy because I am a US citizen after the long journey.
Sad because I lost my birth country citizenship, It also was heavy on me while uttering the oath where I say
I will not keep any allegiance towards any other country .. coz that means I am severing my emotions to my country of birth.
USA fulfilled my dreams I respect it equally...and thats why I am here..but how can I not stop being a part of my birth country as well..
Looks like I will have to live with this strange feeling throughout my life...

This was just an honest thought I couldnt resist sharing. (I will take any criticizm in right spirit)

Congratulations!!! Well, I am glad they didn't ask you to spell "criticism" during the interview. :) Just kidding!!

Yes, I would recommend getting the appointment in advance. I called the post office closest to where I live on Jan 26 and got an appointment for Jan 29 (the day after my oath taking). I got there on time and the whole process took about 10 mins. My experince wasn't frustrating at all. :)

What PO was that? Maybe I will have better luck there.

What PO was that? Maybe I will have better luck there.

When you visited the post offices. Did you ask them about how to set up an appointment? I think they usually have the phone number you have to call close to the window that takes passport applications.

When I went to the PO on Mary ave (Sunnyvale) last year for my child's PP, they offered an appointment which was a month away.

So I just walked in to the PO at Mt. View as they did not have an appointment system last year.
Anyone knows if they also converted to appt system ?

I have my Oath on 2/19, and was relying on a walk-in at Mt. View PO.

Thanks,
cd

When I went to the PO on Mary ave (Sunnyvale) last year for my child's PP, they offered an appointment which was a month away.

So I just walked in to the PO at Mt. View as they did not have an appointment system last year.
Anyone knows if they also converted to appt system ?

I have my Oath on 2/19, and was relying on a walk-in at Mt. View PO.

Thanks,
cd

Why don't you just call the Mary Avenue post office and make an appointment for Feb 20? It was very simple. I wasn't put on hold and neither did I have to listen to recorded messages.

Why don't you just call the Mary Avenue post office and make an appointment for Feb 20? It was very simple. I wasn't put on hold and neither did I have to listen to recorded messages.

Thanks Fermat11: Just took an appointment for 2/22 (next working day after 2/19) for PO @ Mary ave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my interview letter today.

N400 Timeline
San Jose, CA
PHX, AZ Lockbox

12/11/09 - Mailed N-400
12/14/09 - N-400 Received
12/17/09 - Check cashed and NOA (PD 12/17/09)
12/29/09 - RFE/FP sched. 01/21/10
01/21/10 - FP done
01/27/10 - Website update that case is transferred to local office for standard interniew. No yellow letter yet.
02/01/10 - IL received for interview on 4th March
03/04/10 - ID

As expected I got oath letter for my wife today Oath on 2/25

I applied for passport for self today, I just looked up the travel.gov website acceptance facility list and went
to a post office without appointment. I was the only one in that PO and was done in 2 mins.
I felt like is that it? they didnt give any acknowledgement or anything...

A question of the oath time frame for San Jose DO

I am planning for a trip after one week but I could get the oath letter at any time. I am wondering normally what's the gap between the Oath letter and the Oath date. For example, does people normally wait for another 2 weeks to have the Oath after getting their oath letter?

Thanks!