San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

My case:
mailed on 06/08/09
FD done 07/03/09

questions:
I may need to travel in the following months:

1 it is possible to reschudule the interview date and
oath date?

2. when can i apply passport, after the date i pass the interview or after the date of oath?

3. may i travel between the intervie date and oath date?

thanks in advance

1. Yes, you can reschedule. It is better if you don't reschedule, but it is not the end of the world if you reschedule. Just be aware that your risk grows a little if you reschedule.
2. You can only apply for US passport after you do the oath and get a naturalization certificate. No naturalization certificate, no US passport. Simple.
3. Yes, you can travel as long as you don't break continuous residence requirements or physical presence requirements by doing that. In most cases this caveat doesn't apply, as you will have around one or two months at most between interview and oath, so you cannot do a long trip. Anyway, be aware that the continuous and physical presence requirements have to be met all the way to the oath ceremony as far as I know.

I completed the Citizenship interview sucessfully today.

N-400 Timeline
Field Office: San Jose
04/17/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix
04/20/2009 - Received Date
04/20/2009 - Priority Date
04/23/2009 - Notice Date
04/27/2009 - Received the I-797C, Notice of Action
05/07/2009 - FP Notice Received
05/09/2009 - FP Done - Walk-In
06/11/2009 - Interview Notice Letter Received for my Spouse
06/13/2009 - Yellow Letter received for both of us
07/21/2009 - Interview Scheduled for my Spouse - Complete
07/22/2009 - Interview Scheduled for myself - Complete

I had my Interview today: - Passed!! Waaaaaaaat Waaaaaaaaaaat!

Couldn't change my name and couldn't get an Oath date today......... NOT so luck in those two

Ok here it goes: - I went in 30 minutes early, well prepared and was called exactly my appointment time. I stood and took the Oath........Officer was very very nice and respectful; she went through my application to make sure everything is correct and have me sign the picture and my application. She asked me 6 questions and was good enough after I got them all right.

She handed me N-652 form and congratulate me. The form says (checked) you have passed the test of English and US history and government. She told me that she’ll recommend my application for approval and will sent me an invitation to an Oath ceremony for 3-6 weeks. Daaaaaaaaaaaanm(???)

I asked that if it possible to go to the 7/24 ceremony or 8/20…… She right away told me that they were doing that last week, were they’re issuing ceremony on the same day but not today…..

Now is waiting time again……….

If you have an interview, you have done the hardest part, and If you’re prepared for your interview, you’re gonna wanna sleep in there……soooo easy. BE prepared!!!!

Thanks to everyone for getting me ready for today……..

have anybody received his/her oath letter in the last one week from San Jose?

no, and its soooooooooo frustrating! did you end up making an infopass appointment? in retrospect, i wish i had asked my officer for an interview date, then maybe i could have seen joe thorton at the july 16th ceremony!!!!!! i'm so bummed i missed that :(

i called the 1-800 number to check if my letter had been misplaced or something, since i changed my address recently, but i got no help from that.

---------------------------
03/12/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix
03/16/2008 - Priority date
03/24/2009 - Check cashed
04/03/2009 - Notice Date of Fingerpoint
04/09/2009 - Fingerprint Notice received
04/22/2009 - Fingerprints taken
05/14/2009 - Case File Review Notice dated
05/18/2009 - Case File Review Notice received
05/20/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview dated
05/22/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview received
06/29/2009 - Interview Scheduled

i called the 800 number. they asked me to be in touch with the local office. I am going to make infopass appointment though i see no benefit of it anymore because the next oath is on Aug 20, nothing before that.

Just made an appointment, Monday 27 July at 8:45am. Anybody else wanna come along?

no, and its soooooooooo frustrating! did you end up making an infopass appointment? in retrospect, i wish i had asked my officer for an interview date, then maybe i could have seen joe thorton at the july 16th ceremony!!!!!! i'm so bummed i missed that :(

i called the 1-800 number to check if my letter had been misplaced or something, since i changed my address recently, but i got no help from that.

---------------------------
03/12/2009 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix
03/16/2008 - Priority date
03/24/2009 - Check cashed
04/03/2009 - Notice Date of Fingerpoint
04/09/2009 - Fingerprint Notice received
04/22/2009 - Fingerprints taken
05/14/2009 - Case File Review Notice dated
05/18/2009 - Case File Review Notice received
05/20/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview dated
05/22/2009 - Request for Naturalization Interview received
06/29/2009 - Interview Scheduled

Last edited by a moderator:
This is new, i passed my interview on June 30, no oath letter yet. My wife passed on July 16 and she just got the oath letter.... in a week. Oath on Aug. 20th.

Name Change

Both myself and my wife attended the interview on 7/16 and got it approved. My wife wanted to do the name change during the interview (she did not mention that in her application). They said okay and when we got our oath letter her name was spelled with her new last name (by marriage). We are both asked to appear for the oath ceremony on 8/20 in the campbell heritage theater. My doubt is would there be a judge to order the name change there? has anyone has prior experience with name change in campbell oath ceremonies.

Going to San Jose DO tomorrow morning to talk to these morons. I am so sick of these incompetent INS people. First they lost my file during I-140 (took 3 years compared to 3 months it was taking for others). Then they delayed 485. Finally I thought my luck changed when I took the citizenship interview and this dumb lady told me I should expect the oath letter within 2 weeks.... turned out all nonsense.

Going to San Jose DO tomorrow morning to talk to these morons. I am so sick of these incompetent INS people. First they lost my file during I-140 (took 3 years compared to 3 months it was taking for others). Then they delayed 485. Finally I thought my luck changed when I took the citizenship interview and this dumb lady told me I should expect the oath letter within 2 weeks.... turned out all nonsense.

let me know what happens...my interview was on the 29th of june, and i'm still waiting....

Sure. Although I don't expect them to provide any meaningful answer. they lie through their teeth.

Did you try infopass? what did they say?

infopass was useless. the guy told me i had to wait 45 days. i felt like i was going around in circles, trying to explain to him that i should have gotten the letter. he kept on saying each case is different. he didnt' even ask for my name, or green card number. i might call again tomorrow...i know each case is different, but mine is pretty straightforward...

i don't have a receipt number on any of my n-400 letters, so i can't even check the status of my case (although i've heard from many members of teh board that checking the case status doesn't help)

infopass was useless. the guy told me i had to wait 45 days. i felt like i was going around in circles, trying to explain to him that i should have gotten the letter. he kept on saying each case is different. he didnt' even ask for my name, or green card number. i might call again tomorrow...i know each case is different, but mine is pretty straightforward...

i don't have a receipt number on any of my n-400 letters, so i can't even check the status of my case (although i've heard from many members of teh board that checking the case status doesn't help)

They don't update online status and 800 number customer service provide no information other than that they received the application on a certain date.

N-400 and traffic citations

Dear friends:

5 years ago, I was very active on these forums as gc-despo. I got my green card in Oct 2004, and since then I had not visited. Imagine my pleasent surprise that my account is still valid.

Now it has been 4 yrs, 9 mo since getting the GC, and I am eligible to apply for citizenship. While filling out the N-400, I came across the question #16:

"Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?" --- Well, I have recieved 2 traffic citations, and my wife 3 or 4. All our tickets were for less than $500.

Do we need to answer "Yes" to this question and then list all those traffic citations on the table in the N-400 form. Problem is that I do not know the exact dates of the citations, nor even the exact location in one case (it was somewhere in Michigan!).

If we have to list all of them, then how do I go about collecting that information. Does local DMV (we are based near San Jose, Calif) keep records of citations from other states?

Thanks a lot,
GC-despo (now citi-despo!)

Dear friends:

5 years ago, I was very active on these forums as gc-despo. I got my green card in Oct 2004, and since then I had not visited. Imagine my pleasent surprise that my account is still valid.

Now it has been 4 yrs, 9 mo since getting the GC, and I am eligible to apply for citizenship. While filling out the N-400, I came across the question #16:

"Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?" --- Well, I have recieved 2 traffic citations, and my wife 3 or 4. All our tickets were for less than $500.

Do we need to answer "Yes" to this question and then list all those traffic citations on the table in the N-400 form. Problem is that I do not know the exact dates of the citations, nor even the exact location in one case (it was somewhere in Michigan!).

If we have to list all of them, then how do I go about collecting that information. Does local DMV (we are based near San Jose, Calif) keep records of citations from other states?

Thanks a lot,
GC-despo (now citi-despo!)

Yes, you are supposed to answer Yes to that question and list all the citations. They need to be disclosed, but we don't need to provide supporting documentation for citations less than $500. So you don't need to spend too much time collecting records of citations.

I had multiple tickets and listed them in my N-400 application and the officer in my interview just asked if they are all citations and I replied yes and he circled the word Cited and moved on without asking any further questions. For one of my tickets I didn't have any paperwork since it was really old, so I just put an approximate month/year and county/state where I got the ticket. In addition to searching in my home for any available documentation about my traffic tickets, I also got my driving record from the local DMV for the citizenship interview as a backup.

I went to San Jose DO to make an inquiry about the oath letter that I should have received but have not received yet. The guy was somewhat nice, he looked into the system and told me that the case has been approved but a supervisor still need to click a button (he said it was not a big deal, asked me not to worry about it). I pressed a bit more and asked him to suggest me what should I do to expedite the process. He gave me a blank paper and asked me to write a letter... I quickly wrote a brief letter requesting the reader to schedule me for Aug 20 oath ceremony. He printed out something from the system, attached it to this letter and walked towards a room. He said he was going to drop the letter in the mailbox of the supervisor who is handling the case.

Let's see what comes out.

RD 3/18/2009
ID 06/30/2009

waiting for the oath letter

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to San Jose DO to make an inquiry about the oath letter that I should have received but have not received yet. The guy was somewhat nice, he looked into the system and told me that the case has been approved but a supervisor still need to click a button (he said it was not a big deal, asked me not to worry about it). I pressed a bit more and asked him to suggest me what should I do to expedite the process. He gave me a blank paper and asked me to write a letter... I quickly wrote a brief letter requesting the reader to schedule me for Aug 20 oath ceremony. He printed out something from the system, attached it to this letter and walk towards a room. He said he has dropped the letter to the mailbox of the supervisor who is handling the case.

Let's see what comes out.

cool, nice IO.

After reading you, I quickly glanced at the bottom of your post. No timeline!
Now I am left wondering how long tou had to wait since ID....