San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Interview Experience/Oath schedule

Anyone want to share with interview experience and I haven't heard anyone receiving Oath schedule recently.

passed test today =)

so i had my interview today, and it was a breeze =)

i was really nervous before going into the exam, and i guess the guards could tell. lol, one of them asked the mandatory, if i had any electronic devices like a cell phone on me, and i told him that i had left it in the car. he answered, 'oh, no wonder, i've been trying to call you all day!" HAHA

i had a mini panic attack in the interview waiting room when i reread the Interview Document Check List. It says that you should bring the 'original AND PHOTOCOPY" of whatever items you need for the interview, and i completely ignored that portion. it didn't matter in the end, since the INS officer didnt' need it or ask for it. He asked me 5 (or 6?) questions, and made me write something and say outloud "I can vote"...it was pretty straightforward. I thought i'd run into some difficulties since I had filed a Change of Address electronically, and had filed a tax extension this year. He didn't even make a note of that when i mentioned it. When i told the Officer how easy it was at the end of the interview, he laughed and told me "don't let that out! The INS has a reputation to maintain...tell your parents and everyone i really grilled you" :)

now i'm happily awaiting my oath ceremony :D

Status Update

I got my Interview date. I have the following questions
1) Is the list of 100 questions in civics test from which 10 questions will be asked?
2) All my interview letter says is to get original of documents I submitted with my application, which were copies of the greencard is that all is needed? I read some people say that they needed to take tax returns etc etc.
3) I forgot to send my passport photos with my application, I guess I will take them with me despite them not having listed it in the letter.

I got my Interview date. I have the following questions
1) Is the list of 100 questions in civics test from which 10 questions will be asked?
Correct. http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/100q.pdf

2) All my interview letter says is to get original of documents I submitted with my application, which were copies of the greencard is that all is needed? I read some people say that they needed to take tax returns etc etc.
If you have a simple case, then little supporting documentation is required. Depending on your case, you may be asked additional supporting documentation at interview. Check the sticky for possible documents.

3) I forgot to send my passport photos with my application, I guess I will take them with me despite them not having listed it in the letter.

Correct, bring them to interview.

Interview went well today.

ND: 3/18/2009
FP: First week of April 2009
IL : Around May 20 2009
Int. Date: June 30, 2009

Interview time : 8:20 AM, arrived early, waited in room 219. name called at 8:50AM. Usual questions (read one sentence and write one sentence, then answer some questions on History). She verified all the information in the application.... basically repeated the same questions that are listed in N-400, such as "have you ever said to anyone that you were a citizen of the US, have you ever lied to the government, have you ever been handcuffed, etc.

I also received a yellow letter asking me to bring birth certificates of US born children. I took it (she kept a copy of it, which I brought along). She asked for the birth cert. of my other kid who wasn't born in the US. I pointed her to the yellow letter which specifically states "...born in the US." She said it was ok.

The yellow letter also asked me to bring "my arrest record." I pointed out to her that i was never been arrested. What I listed on the application were minor traffic citations (speeding, red light, stop sign..... yea I have got everything :). She said "were you ever handcuffed?", "No," I said. She moved on.

She gave me a letter with "a tick before 'Congratulations'" and told me that INS will send an invitation for the oath ceremony soon. The interview took no more than 10 minute. Other than the wait ( and seeing that you were the only one not being called :) ) it was a pleasant experience.

Upcoming oath ceremonies in Campbell -- 16th July, 20th August, 24 Sept. I don't hope to be the part of the ceremony in July. Hopefully I will be a Citizen on Aug. 20th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status update - received oath letter

02/22/09 Mailed N400 – Fedex - to Phoenix
02/24/09 Priority Date
03/02/09 Receipt Notice Date
03/05/09 Fingerprint Notice Date
03/24/09 Fingerprint Scheduled & Done
04/18/09 Interview Notice Letter Received
06/04/09 Interview Date (passed the interview)
06/29/09 Oath Letter
07/16/09 Oath Date

Interview experience

An officer called me right at the appointment time. Went through the usual oath as I stood up. He was a very polite and a friendly officer. He started with asking me about a trip I made to my home country for about 1 year, about 7 years back. I told him I was finishing up my studies. To that he asked as to why I couldn't complete the study in US. I told him that transferring credits wasn't easy, and also that I was applying for graduate schools in US during the 1 year. He was more than satisfied with that, and he said that he had to ask these questions as per law, even though I had a re-entry permit. The officer didn't ask me for any further evidence. He then asked me to write a sentence, and asked the usual civic questions (out of the 100), the first 6 of which I got right. He then congratulated me and handed me a form which said the same along with the statement that my application had been recommended for approval. All in all, it took about 15 minutes.

Good luck with your apps.

Pass Interview :)

See below for my status update. Look like I will be getting an Oath letter soon, for the August 22 Oath day. After that, I'm off for a month vacation :D.

Does the online case status get updated

I have completed FP on 06/19 and am awaiting letter for interview. My case status online continues to repor that an acknowledgement for filing N 400 was mailed to me.
Has anyone else observed the status being updated in accordance with different events

It was never updated for me

Hi,

Do not worry about it. My case was never updated as well, but everything went fine.

I have completed FP on 06/19 and am awaiting letter for interview. My case status online continues to repor that an acknowledgement for filing N 400 was mailed to me.
Has anyone else observed the status being updated in accordance with different events

henngayve1981, have you received the oath letter?

Hi henngayve1981,
Have you received the oath letter? If not, how do you know the oath date in August in San Jose is Aug22?

Thanks

See below for my status update. Look like I will be getting an Oath letter soon, for the August 22 Oath day. After that, I'm off for a month vacation :D.

Can you please tell what was subject of interview letter. I received a notice (yellow in coloe and one page) from USCIS after finger printing. Sub is "Case file review notice/Interview document check list"

The notice states that you need to being driving license along with this orginal notice to your interview. But interview date is not mentioned anywhere. Is there going to be seperate notice for interview date.

Would appreciate if somebody can let me know how to obtain certified copy for traffic violation and showing that it was resolved with paying fine. I had one over speeding violation. I marked yes on N-400 and received notice to produce this document during interview.

thanxs

Hi henngayve1981,
Have you received the oath letter? If not, how do you know the oath date in August in San Jose is Aug22?

Thanks

The list of oath dates for San Jose are listed here. I'm expecting my oath ceremony on August 22nd as well.

ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/events.htm

Would appreciate if somebody can let me know how to obtain certified copy for traffic violation and showing that it was resolved with paying fine. I had one over speeding violation. I marked yes on N-400 and received notice to produce this document during interview.

thanxs

Go to the below website and get your info. first. This website will give you all the info. you have with court and with this info. you can speed up you request. See below link and click, top, where it says case.

http://www.sccaseinfo.org/traffic.htm

You should be able to get this in 2 weeks. Also check the traffic court location, as they move to doffirent building.

The list of oath dates for San Jose are listed here. I'm expecting my oath ceremony on August 22nd as well.

ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/events.htm

Do you mean Aug 20? Also, I have a friend that had an interview yesterday and he was issued an Oath Letter/date for 7/16. I don't see that here.

I'm planning to change my name and this will set me back a little and will send me to a judge and not an administrative Oath in Campbell. I'm cool with that, after I heard all the horror stories regarding changing your name after citizenship.

Certifying a copy of paper, record or proceeding on file

Go to the below website and get your info. first. This website will give you all the info. you have with court and with this info. you can speed up you request. See below link and click, top, where it says case.

http://www.sccaseinfo.org/traffic.htm

You should be able to get this in 2 weeks. Also check the traffic court location, as they move to doffirent building.

Sorry, I didn't finish my answer. To get the certified mail of your record. Call the Traffic Court @ (408) 556-3000 and ask. The fee if $15.

RECORDS RELATED FEES Code Section(s) Total Fee Due $15.
173 Certifying a copy of paper, record or proceeding on file GC 70626(a)(4)

Do you mean Aug 20? Also, I have a friend that had an interview yesterday and he was issued an Oath Letter/date for 7/16. I don't see that here.

I'm planning to change my name and this will set me back a little and will send me to a judge and not an administrative Oath in Campbell. I'm cool with that, after I heard all the horror stories regarding changing your name after citizenship.

Whoops, I meant the 20th.

And how did your friend get the oath for July 16th if he only had the interview yesterday??

In my case, I received separately the interview letter and a case file review notice/Interview document check list.

Can you please tell what was subject of interview letter. I received a notice (yellow in coloe and one page) from USCIS after finger printing. Sub is "Case file review notice/Interview document check list"

The notice states that you need to being driving license along with this orginal notice to your interview. But interview date is not mentioned anywhere. Is there going to be seperate notice for interview date.

Whoops, I meant the 20th.

And how did your friend get the oath for July 16th if he only had the interview yesterday??

greenmushroom:- I can't figure that out either, I do a lot of eyeballing in this forum than I write and I haven't seen this specially in San Jose. Also I know some of you had an Interview late June and early July and don't have an Oath schedule yet, but yeah he said the Officer told him to show up at Campbell on 7/16 and give him a letter stating his schedule. It must be a nice Officer! I don't know.