San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Is there a way to check when you get scheduled for an oath or request one? I have to make a personal foreign trip soon (which I cannot avoid) and is there a way I can show the tickets to someone to prioritize the oath schedule? Any help would be appreciated.

I was in a similar situation and I showed my itinerary etc at the interview right after the IO said "congratulations ..." For my spouse, they had said that an INFOPASS appointment would be the way to get in touch with IO and hand over supporting documents (copy of tickets etc). In my case, the IO basically got me the oath notice (Form 445 or something like that) within 5-10 minutes so they should be able to do that in an INFOPASS appointment as well. Worth a try.

Dudes,

Questions :
1/ How certain is it that they give you the passport same day or the next.
2/ If not what can be the reason for the delay and how much.

Someone mentioned 'will-call' option, can you please keep the forum updated on it.

Thanks,
tiad

The SF city hall had signs about various PP applications and expected times. Normal was three months, Expedited two weeks, Will-call (for pick-up) was three business days and then there was an Emergency scenario where you just go to the PP Agency and (hopefully) get it the same day. In my case, the three days was good enough.

As for whether they actually keep to these times, it's anybody's guess. I know some people who did get it the same day after an appointment at the SF agency. I also know people who havent heard anything after a month for the 2-3 weeks expedited processing having applied from the post office. That's a total mess. The IO at my oath ceremony said afterwards:
"If you are NOT planning to travel, go to the post-office and apply right away. If you ARE planning to travel, good luck!" :rolleyes:

Spouse completed Interview

Spouse just completed with interview today. Reached 30mins before scheduled time, standard security checks, second floor, place the IV notice for window#1 and wait. 20-25 people already sitting in the room. I assume among all, there might have been 10 coming for IV & each of them accompained by a family member or friend. More trickling in every 5 minutes. My observation, every person interviewed, came out in 10min's average. 10-12 IV's happened in the span of 30 minutes, I was there. Atleast saw 5 different officers calling out names. This gives an idea how many officers are available & how many applicants get processed every day.
Spouse got called 10min before scheduled time & was out in 10 min's. Officer was a lady named "Morales", who greeted with a smile & first thing she did was take an oath. Asked only for GC & CA Id (drivers license). NO Passport or other documents. Went over the application, asking 2/3 questions for every page of N400. Gave a page consisting of 10 history civic questions & asked to read the questions and have then aswered. Officer just prompted "right" after every question, all 10 correct. Asked to print the full name (cursive) on the last page of N400 and sign as well (any mode). She asked to write a sentence (cursive) on the same page. Print name (cursive) on both pictures, on the right, left white spaces.
Everything went fine, was given the "N652" with check marks on "passed english/history" and "congratulations" section. Was told, Oath should happen in Sep & oath letter will reach in 3 weeks time.
One point to highlight, spouse received a speeding ticket couple of months back. Indicated the same to the officer, but she was not bothered about that fact & replied, traffic tickets don't count.
So, all in all went well & now waiting for my turn, mid-august, stay tuned.

Congratulations on the successful interview. Good luck with your interview coming up in two weeks. Chances are you and your wife will go to the same ceremony in September. Keep your fingers crossed.

Congrats topgun ... Let me know when you get the oath letter.

Did anyone who was interviewed after July 22 receive an oath letter?

Typically oath letters are printed around 1 month in advance and Sep oath date is 19, so we may expect letters around 2nd last week of Aug.

zen0, are you thinking of doing an INFOPASS for your wife to get an oath date? Please let me know.

Anyone with Feb PD starting to receive IL?

Originally Posted by sgor
Got my interview letter last week.

Dist Office: San Jose
Priority Date: 01/23/2007
FP Notice Date: 02/05/2007
FP Done: 03/02/2007
IL recd: 07/18/2007
Interview scheduled: 09/06/2007
Oath: ????​

The above post is the last PD to receive interview letter. Anyone with Feb PD starting to receive IL?

Thanks.

Spouse just completed with interview today. Reached 30mins before scheduled time, standard security checks, second floor, place the IV notice for window#1 and wait. 20-25 people already sitting in the room. I assume among all, there might have been 10 coming for IV & each of them accompained by a family member or friend. More trickling in every 5 minutes. My observation, every person interviewed, came out in 10min's average. 10-12 IV's happened in the span of 30 minutes, I was there. Atleast saw 5 different officers calling out names. This gives an idea how many officers are available & how many applicants get processed every day.
Spouse got called 10min before scheduled time & was out in 10 min's. Officer was a lady named "Morales", who greeted with a smile & first thing she did was take an oath. Asked only for GC & CA Id (drivers license). NO Passport or other documents. Went over the application, asking 2/3 questions for every page of N400. Gave a page consisting of 10 history civic questions & asked to read the questions and have then aswered. Officer just prompted "right" after every question, all 10 correct. Asked to print the full name (cursive) on the last page of N400 and sign as well (any mode). She asked to write a sentence (cursive) on the same page. Print name (cursive) on both pictures, on the right, left white spaces.
Everything went fine, was given the "N652" with check marks on "passed english/history" and "congratulations" section. Was told, Oath should happen in Sep & oath letter will reach in 3 weeks time.
One point to highlight, spouse received a speeding ticket couple of months back. Indicated the same to the officer, but she was not bothered about that fact & replied, traffic tickets don't count.
So, all in all went well & now waiting for my turn, mid-august, stay tuned.

Congratulations on passing the interview.

Seems like non-DUI related incidents need not be mentioned on N400. Going by the exact instructions on the form, I did mention a minor traffic ticket on the form with outcome as paid fine/attended traffic school. Hope that's not an issue.

Originally Posted by sgor
Got my interview letter last week.

Dist Office: San Jose
Priority Date: 01/23/2007
FP Notice Date: 02/05/2007
FP Done: 03/02/2007
IL recd: 07/18/2007
Interview scheduled: 09/06/2007
Oath: ????​

The above post is the last PD to receive interview letter. Anyone with Feb PD starting to receive IL?

Thanks.

Interview letters go mostly by batches, as with oath letters. I believe the trend is that there is a batch that shows up around the 17th, 18th of the month, so perhaps another couple of weeks of wait. I don't remember if there is more than one batch of interview letters per month.

My 2 cents.

That is such a horrible advice to give…sorry for the harsh wordings.
Surgeon General & the police have warned multiple times that leaving any infant/child in a closed car in the sun risks suffocation.

I just visited this forum today after several days so didn't read the follow up messages. Dear fellow member sammySam, when did I suggest "leave" the baby inside the car and go BBQ or party? I thought it was implied for parent(s) to be in the car with a newborn. I don't preach what I don't do. I have done this for my own child but that was in colder months. Also, someone mentioned the child might get cold because of this so I suggested leaving the car in sun for some time "before" taking baby into it. Anyway, don't want to digress from the immigration issues here so I rest my case. However, I do agree that pediatrician should be consulted for any such treatment and my advice came from one.

Interview letters go mostly by batches, as with oath letters. I believe the trend is that there is a batch that shows up around the 17th, 18th of the month, so perhaps another couple of weeks of wait. I don't remember if there is more than one batch of interview letters per month.

My 2 cents.

Minor correction Huracan. There are typically two batches of letters per month for Interview - one around 15th and another around 30th but some of the months even had one batch per month ...

Fringerprinting rescheduled, will it cause delays?

I have a Priority date of Mar/5/07 and got my FP scheduled for May/5/07. I was out of the country due to family emergency and sent the form back asking to reschedule. Three months later I never received a new appointment.

I went to the ASC on Charcot at the end of June was told to wait for the new letter to come in the mail. Wish I had seen this forum before that, it looks like you can do walk-ins if you go on Wednesday or Saturday, however agent was not helpful and did not tell me that.

I went back on July/31, now a different agent said he would check with the supervisor to see if he could find my paperwork and if so they would get fingerprinting done right then. Unfortunately, it had now been too long so they no longer had my case in their system. He was very helpful and advised me to go online and use Infopass to schedule an appointment at the local office on Monterey Rd to get a new fingerprint letter issued and then I could bring it for a walk-in. Luckily Infopass appointments were readily available and I got the new letter and fingerprinting done today, Aug/1.

It is bothersome that the first agent (back in June) did not even try and look up my case, I could probably have had my fingerprinting done right then. I am mostly rambling and sharing this experience so that hopefully someone can benefit from what I have learned.

It appears that even if you have lost your notice you can walk in with identification, they can look you up in the system and have the fingerprinting done.

Also, it appears that Wednesdays and Saturdays are the best days for walk-ins. On the replacement letter that I got from the local office it does not have an appointment date, it just says "Any Wednesday or Saturday within TWO weeks of this notice".

If you are ever in this situation insist with the officer at the ASC to speak with the supervisor and look up your case.

On a separate note, now that I got my fingerprint done nearly 3 months after the original appointment I am wondering how this will impact my interview date. Does anyone know the answer or had a similar experience?

I called the FBI and they confirmed that the fingerprinting results usually are sent to USCIS in 24hours. They also informed me that they don't wait for the fingerprinting to be done to run the "name check".

I am hopeful that the name check is already done and that the fingerprint results will be back in a couple days. It looks like interview letters are sent about two months before the interview date, so if my interview is to be at the middle/end of October then it would be scheduled around the end of August. I guess I will know by the end of the month if I get a letter or not if my application will be delayed.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the fingerprint delay will not impact the interview date and that I will still have the interview scheduled for sometime in the middle/end of October.

Like VodkaMartini007 I would be very interested to know if anyone has received interview letters in July.

VodkaMartini007, I am specially interested to know how your case progresses since we have the same priority date. Please let me know.

Thanks a lot for the advice Huracan. I will wait for Oath letter this week (I am optimist of getting one as the IO told me at interview time that they are still processing Aug oath dates) else I will schedule an Infopass appointment.

I tried 800 no. but the rep did not allow me to talk to an IO and the information she gave me about my application was 8 months old...

IO said 1-3Months and asked if there are any questions. Question asked was can I expect OL for Aug. She said the clerks schedule it and it takes 1-3months(same answer) and she has no other info on Oaths :).

I am not in hurry though (No travel plans) and anyway need to wait for Aug 8th Interview and Oath so both of us might get the Oath for the same day.

I have a Priority date of Mar/5/07 and got my FP scheduled for May/5/07. I was out of the country due to family emergency and sent the form back asking to reschedule. Three months later I never received a new appointment.

I went to the ASC on Charcot at the end of June was told to wait for the new letter to come in the mail. Wish I had seen this forum before that, it looks like you can do walk-ins if you go on Wednesday or Saturday, however agent was not helpful and did not tell me that.

I went back on July/31, now a different agent said he would check with the supervisor to see if he could find my paperwork and if so they would get fingerprinting done right then. Unfortunately, it had now been too long so they no longer had my case in their system. He was very helpful and advised me to go online and use Infopass to schedule an appointment at the local office on Monterey Rd to get a new fingerprint letter issued and then I could bring it for a walk-in. Luckily Infopass appointments were readily available and I got the new letter and fingerprinting done today, Aug/1.

It is bothersome that the first agent (back in June) did not even try and look up my case, I could probably have had my fingerprinting done right then. I am mostly rambling and sharing this experience so that hopefully someone can benefit from what I have learned.

It appears that even if you have lost your notice you can walk in with identification, they can look you up in the system and have the fingerprinting done.

Also, it appears that Wednesdays and Saturdays are the best days for walk-ins. On the replacement letter that I got from the local office it does not have an appointment date, it just says "Any Wednesday or Saturday within TWO weeks of this notice".

If you are ever in this situation insist with the officer at the ASC to speak with the supervisor and look up your case.

On a separate note, now that I got my fingerprint done nearly 3 months after the original appointment I am wondering how this will impact my interview date. Does anyone know the answer or had a similar experience?

I called the FBI and they confirmed that the fingerprinting results usually are sent to USCIS in 24hours. They also informed me that they don't wait for the fingerprinting to be done to run the "name check".

I am hopeful that the name check is already done and that the fingerprint results will be back in a couple days. It looks like interview letters are sent about two months before the interview date, so if my interview is to be at the middle/end of October then it would be scheduled around the end of August. I guess I will know by the end of the month if I get a letter or not if my application will be delayed.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the fingerprint delay will not impact the interview date and that I will still have the interview scheduled for sometime in the middle/end of October.

Like VodkaMartini007 I would be very interested to know if anyone has received interview letters in July.

VodkaMartini007, I am specially interested to know how your case progresses since we have the same priority date. Please let me know.

Sure, will keep you updated. We should see some Feb PD's receiving IL's in the next few weeks.

Since our PD's are very close, it would be interesting to know if our interview is around the same time, even though I did FP in mid May. Maybe, any expert can comment whether interview is scheduled based on the PD or based on the FP.

Sure, will keep you updated. We should see some Feb PD's receiving IL's in the next few weeks.

Since our PD's are very close, it would be interesting to know if our interview is around the same time, even though I did FP in mid May. Maybe, any expert can comment whether interview is scheduled based on the PD or based on the FP.

Interview is always scheduled based on your PD and has got nothing to do when you did FP.

Hi
My PD is Feb 07 2007
DO San Jose
IL received on August 4 2007 dated August 1 2007
IL Date September 27 2007

I am moving from San Jose area to Los Angeles
Considering that I am moving on August 19 2007 what do you recommend

Should I inform INS by AR11
Is there a period like I can wait a week or 30 days to inform abt address change
should I attend or not attend the interview ???

Hi
My PD is Feb 07 2007
DO San Jose
IL received on August 4 2007 dated August 1 2007
IL Date September 27 2007

I am moving from San Jose area to Los Angeles
Considering that I am moving on August 19 2007 what do you recommend

Should I inform INS by AR11
Is there a period like I can wait a week or 30 days to inform abt address change
should I attend or not attend the interview ???

Congratulations on receiving the IL.

Recommend not moving if processing and getting USC at the earliest is important. If not moving is not an option, then you have to fill out AR11. In addition, you have to inform BCIS so they can move your file. Maybe some experts can comment on this.

Interview Experience at San Jose - August 6 2007

I had my interview today and thanks to the volume of information/guidance in this forum, I passed my interview :D. Following is a brief summary:

My interview was at 1:00 PM but going by the experiences of Huracan and others in this forum, I decided to leave early and was at the USCIS office at Monterey Highway at 12:35 PM. I left my cell phone in the car and showed the security guy my IL and DL. After going through the Security I followed the signs to the second floor room #219. As mentioned in these posts, the room is quite big and I saw 4 people sitting in the front. Looks like none of them read these forums or saw the big sign in front of window #1 asking us to drop our IL in the tray. I was the first one to walk up to the window and place my IL in the tray. So being a forum member had its advantage :) .

The other folks followed me and placed their IL's. In 5 minutes a lady came through the door next to the window and called my name. She was very courteous and also very dextrous given she is handicapped. She asked me to follow her into the first room on my right once I went through the door. She then asked me to raise my right hand and repeat what ever I say is the truth and nothing but the truth which I did. I was then asked to sit and show my Green Card, DL and Passport. I told her as I was taking the documents out that I had an expired passport as well and she just asked for the new (unexpired) passport.

She then opened my file and asked me random questions from my application while looking at my application. I don't remember all the questions but here are the ones I remember:

"When did you come to the US?"
"On what visa"
"What is your date of birth?"
"What is your marital status?"
"What is your wife's name?"
"How many kids do you have?"
"What is your current address?"
"What is your home number?"

and while she is on the page showing employment record, I told her that I have an updated page (I changed employers since filing my N-400) and she took that and wrote the new employer name and dates on my N-400 and gave me back my page

next she asked me when was my latest trip outside US? I then gave her the updated page and she then added the new lines to my original N-400 page

then we moved on to the civics section (not that she mentioned it, she continued asking question while looking at my file). She asked me the following

"How many aAmendements are there to the Constitution?"
"What are the Bill of Rights?"
"What is the highest court of law in the United States?"
"How many judges are there in the Supreme Court?"
"Who elects the judges of the Supreme Court?"
"How many years of term do the judges serve before getting reelected?" I did not know the answer to this one since I am pretty sure this was not in the 100 questions so I told her I did not know the answer to this one.
"What is the length of service for the Vice President?"
"How many Senators are there in the Congress?"
"How many House of Representatives?"
"How many stars in the flag?"
"What are the 49th and 50the states of the union?"

Then she told me that we were almost there and asked me to print my name on the last page of my N-400 and also sign in cursive format in the two boxes.

Then she asked me to write in cursive format "I am happy to see that my interview is almost over"

She then asked me to take my GC/DL and passport with me. She then mentioned that I will have my Oath on September 19 which could be either in the mornings or afternoons and fif or any reason I cannot make it to the oath I can inform her/them and tehy can reschedule theoath. Only thing is that the rescheduled date will be 2-3 months later. She also mentioned that I will have to surrender my GC while taking the Oath and asked me to be sure that I won't be making any trips outside to the US between now and Sept. 19.

She then handed me a letter (N652 - Naturalization Interview Results) on which she wrote my GC # at the right hand and ticked the boxes that had
"You passed the tests of English and U.S. history and government" and
"A) Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval"

So that's it folks. A big thank you for all the folks in this forum who gave me valuable advice and encouragement (while waiting endlessly for the IL) :)

Now for the Oath Ceremony :D

Interview experience at San Jose today (8/06/07)

Forgot to mention that my interview ended at 1:05PM (5 minutes after the schedule time on my IL)