San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Hi omorpheus,

Thanks. I'll try to post my interview experience as soon as possible tomorrow. Good luck to you too next week :)

interview.

had my interview last week. waited for 30 min and the interview officer explained that each interviewee had a dedicated interview officer, rather than fifo, and his previous interviewees had some delay.

anyway, mine was very smooth, the interview officer was very nice. went through my application form and he helped to correct several mistakes i made on my application. asked some civics questions, then said i passed the interview. he told me that i should be in august 22nd oath. now waiting for the oath letter.

dates: applications submitted in mid nov. finger print late dec.

Hello!
We have applied for citizenship and waiting for FP.After the FP I beleive there is a minimum of 5 to 6 months before we get our interview.So,if we move right after our FP within the same San Jose DO,will there be a problem?
If we move to a different DO like Fremont what is going to happen then?Please advise.

Interview experience

Well, the people who have followed my postings are not going to believe this. I am sure they are going to be rubbing their eyes in disbelief. Yes, I had my interview this morning, and yes, I was late to the interview.

Well, past the initial shock. Let me clarify the situation. I hadn't been to the USCIS office since I got my passport stamped over five years ago. I had planned to leave home at 7:40, one hour before the interview. I ended up leaving (for causes mostly outside of me) at 7:55. GPS device was telling me to expect getting there at 8:20. So far so good. Of course, traffic is a bit heavier at the time, although most of the traffic on Hwy 87 was going North, and I was going South. I ended up losing most of the time on traffic lights. Once I got close to the exit I got distracted (the Alma exit has changed lately) and missed the exit. Ok, one mile down the highway I took Curtner. Now, the USCIS office was going to be on the left of a divided Monterey Highway. Remembering old times I thought of taking Stauffer Blvd to go to the back of the parking lot. That was a little mistake. Now, the parking lot is divided between Gold Gym's and USCIS, and I was at the Gold Gym's parking lot. Perhaps it would have been ok to park there, but why risk it. I went back to Stauffer Blvd to go left on Monterey highway and do a U turn about less than half a mile down the highway. Of course, this is not my day with traffic lights, so it takes me to wait quite some time at both traffic lights. Finally I get to park the car. By now it is 8:35.

Got to the line, not too many people ahead of me. Of course I am a bit stressed by now. Another three minutes or so to get to security. Hard to say the time because I left my cell phone at the car, and that's what I use as a clock. Level of stress rises a notch because of not being able to tell the time.

I start removing my shoes before the guy ahead of me has cleared security to save some time. The door guard makes a point that I should stop fidgeting because he could not tell if the fidgeting was to get out a knife. Of course he is not one hundred percent serious about the comment. Point taken, by that time I had already taken out the shoes anyway. Put belt, keys, shoes, wallet in the tray to get scanned. Pass metal detector with no problems. Get back the belt and stuff back in place.

Now I needed to get my bearings. Quick look around points that I have to go right and go upstairs to room 219. I somewhat knew that in the back of my head from previously read posts. Anyway, stress and anxiety can take its toll. I quickly go upstairs and find the room. I knew I had to drop the interview letter at Window #1. While I am walking into the room I locate where that window is. I get to it and drop my letter. Then I go and grab a seat. The room has plenty of chairs, but there were about twenty or thirty other people sitting there. I scan the room with my eyes and find the clock on the wall. The time, 8:45, not too bad, but past the time. I am an optimist, and try to relax and think that everything is going to be alright.

About 10 or 15 minutes later my name is called. The interviewer is a polite lady. I don't know if this has been posted before, but I was kind of expecting they would be in uniforms. That's not the case. They dress in civilian clothes. The interviewer takes me to the examination room. She asks me to remain standing to take the oath. I sit down and we get down to business. I sent my application about 85 days or so before my 5 years. She makes a point of counting and making sure I sent the application within the time frame. She doesn't tell me anything, but I see she has come to the conclusion that everything is alright with the application timing. We go over name, birth date, address, social security number. She asks me if I am still working for my current employer. We get down to trips and passports. I took my current passport and older passport. Some of the trips don't have stamps. She just focus in the last one for which I have stamps. No other issues. I was also asked for any trips since I applied. There are none, so no problems here. I have more than one passport, we talk a bit about which one I use. Anyway, we get past it.

Then I think it was the civics questions, although it could have been the other way around. The questions don't really matter, as each person gets asked a different set. Suffice to say that the questions were from the set of 96 questions. I got the questions asked verbally and I promptly gave my answers verbally too. I didn't keep count, but I think I got asked the full ten questions. No mistakes here, test passed. Asked some questions about criminal background, communist background and things like that. Not all the questions from the form were asked, just some of them.

I asked if I could do the ceremony before the end of July. She told me that July was already full.

I was asked to practice my signature writing my full name. I practiced in a piece of paper. Then I wrote my name and last name on the photographs (both of them). Name over my right shoulder and last name over my left shoulder.

At some point I was also asked to write a simple sentence, also from the list of sample sentences. I think it was "I go to work every day"

Signed and printed name on the application after having answered the questions about bearing arms to defend the country and being willing to take the oath. Got the N-652 with the recommended for approval, and having passed the english/civics test. Overall I think it took about 15 minutes. It was a pretty pleasant experience. I was told I might probably make it to the August 22 ceremony (no 100% assurance on this), and if not on September.

I had a pretty straightforward case, with trips well below the limit, no traffic tickets or any other issues.

I hope the reading of this post has been entertaining and informative ;)

Hey Congrats Huracan !!! Another step closer.

But in case they are running out of Oath ceremony positions more than 35 days in advance, why don't they do more than one oath ceremony a month? Some folks even make it to private ceremonies but that too after a lot of hassle. In other parts of CA, they are doing 2 or 3 oath ceremonies and in some other states, its done the same day in evening for that day's candidates.

If this keeps on going, no one knows if some months down the line, you have to wait for Oath letter just like you wait for Interview Letter.

Hi omorpheus,

Thanks. You've got a point ;) My take would be also that some of the interviewers don't want to commit to a particular date, in case there is an unforeseen delay. The hint was that it was likely to be Aug 22nd.

It would be good that San Jose had an option for same day oath.

Trips outside US and N400

Hello.

Here are my case details and trips outside US:

I got my GC in March 2002.
And here are my trips abroad for personal reasons.
April 2002 to August 2002 (5 months)
June 2003 (1 month)
Nov and Dec 2003 (1 month)
Feb 2004 (1.5 months)
June 2005 ( 2 weeks)

Even with these trips, I have calculated that I meet the physical presence and continuous presence requirement completely until April 2006 and become eligible to apply for US citizenship by March 2007.

April 2006 onwards I am pursuing a 2 year Master's program in Germany. I have the Travel document for 2 years (valid until May 2008). But I am still making trips back to the US every 6 months.
Therefore I returned to the US as follows
August 2006 for 2 weeks (under 5 months)
Feb 2007 for 2.5 weeks (under 6 months)

And now I am due to return by Aug 17.

Now I have 2 questions:
1. I would have returned much earlier but my father got diagonised due to cancer. Because if which I could not return until now and have to stay in India.
Now the only ticks that are available are after Aug 22 which makes me overdue by a few days. But shouldn't this be OK if I have a 2 year travel document? Which means that I dont need to return to the US at all for 2 years, but I can if I choose to do so??

2. If I am late by a few days ie I return on Aug 24th, should this be OK while filing for N400 since I have the travel document?

I had checked with a lawyer in SF regarding applying for the Master's program and he said it was ok, so long as I have met the physical and continuous presence requirements and I have a travel document and I keep returning every 6 months. Then there should be no problem while applying for US citizenship.

Now it seems like this time I may not be able to come back within 6 months and there might be a delay for a few days.
I am wondering if that is OK, since I have a travel document?

Any inputs will be great...........
And good luck ye all for ur processes.....
Bhawna

Bhawna,

I don't know the details but I think your citizenship clock gets reset only if you use travel document and have been outside of US for more than 1 year. Since yours is between 6months and 12 months, you should better check with a lawyer as these rules keep changing (my information is about a year old). Also, before applying, its good to be living in US in one DO area for min. 3 months, else they may question your commitment to the country.

Lawyers will typically charge between $75 to $150 for 30min to 60 min phone conversation and it will be the money well spent. Considering your hardships back home, I would say better consult a lawyer on the phone before making any decisions.

Good luck !!!

Oath Letter Receipt...

The July (18th) ceremony is probably full. THe next ceremony is August 22nd and ~Sept 19th. I assume they are in no rush to send the letters since they have a good 5 weeks to do so. My guts feeling is that they process that in batch.

I did an infopass this morning and the gentlemen that helped me said that since I had not been scheduled for July yet, that it woudl be either August or September (they probably have to send the letter at least 2 weeks in advance)

My problem is that I have to travel for work and it is difficult to put eveything on hold waiting for a letter... At least I know that it won't happen before August 22nd.

Roger

Hi Roger and others...

Please post once you have received your oath letter especially folks who interviewed after 26th June...

Thanks in advance.

Completed Oath

Completed Oath at Campbell on 7/18 3pm
377 people from 50 countries became citizen. They had a 1pm ceremony also and i am sure they accomodated aroud 375+

Cell phone, camera and guest allowed inside the theater. Guest has to sit on the top. No good opportunity to take picture inside the theater.
Everything was organized nicely by the immigation officers.
You can also register to vote there.

Nov 1st 2006 applied
Dec 13th 2006 FP
June 20th 2007 Interview
July 18th 2007 Oath
July 19th 2007 Passport applied.

Congratulations new_guy, or should I say new_citizen ;) After seeing so many oath experiences on different places I lost track if it is possible to apply for passport at the oath ceremony. I think it's not possible for Campbell oath ceremony. Did you send the passport application expedited?

Congratulations new_guy, or should I say new_citizen ;) After seeing so many oath experiences on different places I lost track if it is possible to apply for passport at the oath ceremony. I think it's not possible for Campbell oath ceremony. Did you send the passport application expedited?

I applied from Fremont Post office, Expedited. No its not possible in Campbell to apply for passport at the Oath ceremony.

Hey New_guy,
Did you see any minor kids who were allowed to be with their soon-to-be citizens parents? Or were they forced to go to visitors gallery as well?
thanks.

Hi Roger and others...

Please post once you have received your oath letter especially folks who interviewed after 26th June...

Thanks in advance.

Raj4jazz, in the bulletin released on July 16, SJ DO is processing cases of PD 20th Nov. If I remember correctly your PD is before that. Can't you call and expedite your case?

Its good to see SJ DO's N-400 time is only 22 days behind SF & Oakland DOs.
However, for SJ DO its the average time and for others its the worst case time. :confused:

Yes, the citizenship ombudsman wrote a pretty nice piece (I believe in his last report) on how the "new" style of reporting processing time is pretty useless. Hopefully USCIS changes back to the old, or even better to a new system that accurately reports processing time. Definitely the previous system was better than this one. Nonetheless it would seem that San Jose is giving a push to speed up naturalizations, this should be good for people waiting in the pipeline.

Interview attire

Does Jeans and Collar T-Shirt with sneakers work?
Or should we be atleast be in Business Casual. Assuming suit is not mandatory for this.

I need to search for my leather shoe now :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.