San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Amicus, yes thats correct, that what they told me at the INFOPASS session even before FP

Hi montage9

I am a bit clueless about infopass, did you actually go to the San Jose office (where? is it at Monterey road?) or you spoke thru the phone?
When you scheduled infopass, did you choose:
- You have a question about your case or
- You wish to speak to an immigration officer.

I certainly would love to know if my FP was accepted and that my name check has been cleared.

Thanks

Going by montage9's experience, going for an INFOPASS to get FP and name check status would be a total waste of time. Just call the FBI no. for FP status. There doesn't seem to be any way to verify name check status.

You are eligible to apply 3 months prior to completing 5 years.
I was lazy/careless enough not to use that opportunity. I applied 3 weeks before completing 5 years. Since my priority date happens to be sooner than my 5 year completion date, I can only surmise that they will process the application as soon as they receive it as long as it is no sooner than 3months prior to 5 years.

Thanks a ton Raju,

I am trying not to be lazy :) and get through this process sooner rather than later.

I need help with Part 2 (Information About Eligibility) on form N-400. There are four options. Should I check Option A ("I have been a Lawful Resident of the United States for at least 5 years) or Option D (Other: Please explain). Option B and C don't apply to me. In the case of option D, presumably, I can write 90 days prior to 5 yr anniversary in the application.

Guidance on this would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Amicus, yes thats correct, that what they told me at the INFOPASS session even before FP

Hi montage9

I am a bit clueless about infopass, did you actually go to the San Jose office (where? is it at Monterey road?) or you spoke thru the phone?
When you scheduled infopass, did you choose:
- You have a question about your case or
- You wish to speak to an immigration officer.

I certainly would love to know if my FP was accepted and that my name check has been cleared.

Thanks

Hi SiliconHybrid, You could set up INFOPASS saying that you have a "question about your case", for example, in my case, the PD on the 797 showed May 8/07 but on the online case status it showed May 16th, so I was truly confused and this is the explanation I gave them to check the correct PD from the immigration officer. Incidentally, the officer also told me that my FBI name check was complete. So it is defintely worthwhile to check if you FP also cleared.

Thanks a ton Raju,

I am trying not to be lazy :) and get through this process sooner rather than later.

I need help with Part 2 (Information About Eligibility) on form N-400. There are four options. Should I check Option A ("I have been a Lawful Resident of the United States for at least 5 years) or Option D (Other: Please explain). Option B and C don't apply to me. In the case of option D, presumably, I can write 90 days prior to 5 yr anniversary in the application.

Thanks in advance.

I checked option A. However YMMV, so you may want to check with a lawyer just to be sure.

No, check option A. You are indeed applying under the 5 yr as LPR (Legal Permanent Resident) rule, which allows you to apply 90 days (not 3 months) prior to completing 5 yrs. No need to contact lawyer or anything and no need to write any clarification. This is a very clear rule and is well understood by USCIS officers. I have personally gone through the process and did exactly that.

Asking for a friend - they have 2 minor kids (11 and 2) who will accompany them to the oath ceremony. Will they be allowed to sit with the parents who are getting citizenship?
They have heard that people getting citizenship and their guests are separately seated. These minors cannot be on their own in a different seating area.

Any experiences to share?

FP got rejected !!!!!!

I just received a notice from INS, informing me that my FP was rejected by FBI since it was unreadable. I have to go back and re-do my FP. I couldn't understand at all. I called up FBI in June and they told me that my FP was sent back to INS 1 or 2 days after my FP was done. I thought that means there was no problem with my FP at all. How come suddenly I will get a notice saying that my FP is unreadable. Anyone has a similiar experience before? Please share.

Moreover, after I am done with my 2nd FP, how could I make sure that there will be more problem with this new set again? And do I need to wait in line again for name check or my name check probably has been done/in process right now?

Please help!

My priority date: 12/29/06
1st FP date: 2/14/07 - done

I just received a notice from INS, informing me that my FP was rejected by FBI since it was unreadable. I have to go back and re-do my FP. I couldn't understand at all. I called up FBI in June and they told me that my FP was sent back to INS 1 or 2 days after my FP was done. I thought that means there was no problem with my FP at all. How come suddenly I will get a notice saying that my FP is unreadable. Anyone has a similiar experience before? Please share.

Moreover, after I am done with my 2nd FP, how could I make sure that there will be more problem with this new set again? And do I need to wait in line again for name check or my name check probably has been done/in process right now?

Unfortunately call to FBI for finger printing status is totally useless because it really means nothing material. All it means is that they received your case and they have provided their feedback back to USCIS.

And, btw, you cannot do anything to find out that your finger printing was done correctly the second time on.

There is one in a million chance that the finger print will never come out ok. In that case the USCIS asks the applicant to bring police verification certificate from all the cities the applicant has lived in the last 5 years. The process is very simple.

Hi Raju
Thanks a ton for your previous reply.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks takadigi! How about for my name check? Do they have to clear the FP first before proceeding name check?

Hi Raju
Thanks a ton for your previous reply.

Thanks in advance.

Posting same message multiple times without reading responses to the previous one does not always help.

Check this out -
http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1724145&posted=1#post1724145

Thanks takadigi! How about for my name check? Do they have to clear the FP first before proceeding name check?

No, name check and finger printing validation are two totally different things. Name check is performed based on different permutation and combination of different possible variation of your name while finger printing is just merely based on your finger prints. One does not have to wait for the other to finish.

I have known of a case wherein the name check was completed but finger printing got rejected after 3 times and the applicant had to get the police verification.

BTW, getting stuck in name check stage is much more serious problem while finger printing clarity is relatively minor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Experienced Guys...like Takadigi...

I had my interview on 26th June (about 17 days back) and haven't got the oath letter yet. I do understand there is probably no formula as such but general observation.

My questions are following

1. How long after the interview is the oath letter mailed?
2. How many days before the oath date is the letter date?

Had called the 800 number and the Immigration Officer said that the application is pending approval for the supervisor. Did anyone have experience like this?

Thanks guys....and gals.....

Hello Experienced Guys...like Takadigi...

I had my interview on 26th June (about 17 days back) and haven't got the oath letter yet. I do understand there is probably no formula as such but general observation.

My questions are following

1. How long after the interview is the oath letter mailed?
2. How many days before the oath date is the letter date?

Had called the 800 number and the Immigration Officer said that the application is pending approval for the supervisor. Did anyone have experience like this?

Thanks guys....and gals.....

The July (18th) ceremony is probably full. THe next ceremony is August 22nd and ~Sept 19th. I assume they are in no rush to send the letters since they have a good 5 weeks to do so. My guts feeling is that they process that in batch.

I did an infopass this morning and the gentlemen that helped me said that since I had not been scheduled for July yet, that it woudl be either August or September (they probably have to send the letter at least 2 weeks in advance)

My problem is that I have to travel for work and it is difficult to put eveything on hold waiting for a letter... At least I know that it won't happen before August 22nd.

Roger

Rep. Zoe Lofgren seems to be quite receptive to issues related immigration.

If you are familiar with the recent fiasco with I485 PD's getting current for all for July and then being hastily retrogressed, here's a link.

http://lofgren.house.gov/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=1810

You can contact Rep. Lofgren about the long delays at San Jose, if you stay within her congressional district.

Last edited by a moderator: