• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

same-sex marriage

And here is the answer from the Immigration Equality:

In response to your question, please be advised that the entry registration period for DV-2010 is over and all submission processing at the website has stopped. As for any future DV Lottery forms you may complete, you should check off that you are single for purposes of registering for future DV Lottery forms. Because the federal government passed a law called the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) which defines marriage as only between a man and a woman. Thus your same-sex civil union from Vermont will not provide any immigration benefits in the U.S.

Furthermore, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services have made it very clear that they will not recognize any same sex marriages. If you are granted a green card through the DV Lottery, and apply for a visa for your partner based on your same-sex civil union, it will be denied. If your partner was not in lawful status, he could be placed in removal (deportation) proceedings.

I did everything right putting myself as single. Thanks everyone for being interested in this topic.

Same-sex marriage and gay marriage are terms for a legally or socially recognized marriage between two people of the same sex.
The first country to allow same-sex couples to enter into legally recognized marriage was the Netherlands, effective in 2001. Since then, six other countries and seven U.S. states have followed suit, though voters in California revoked it through passage of Proposition 8. Proponents of same-sex marriage regard it as a human right to be able to enter into marriage regardless of sexual orientation. Those who oppose same-sex marriage often base their opposition on the perceived societal impact of same-sex marriage, concerns about indirect consequences of same-sex marriage, parenting concerns, tradition, or religious grounds. In 16 countries, and specific jurisdictions within 5 others, same-sex couples can join in a civil union but cannot marry. Additionally, Israel, the U.S. state of New York and Washington, D.C. recognize legal same-sex marriages from other jurisdictions but do not perform their own. Political and legal debate continues in over two dozen other countries and multiple U.S. states.

So, i've got the visa and here is a question, if one day they will cancel DOMA me and partner will be able reunite immediately or we will have to wait like 5 years till I became a citizen?

I'm not a lawyer. This is a toff subject but since the USA doesn't recognize a marriage other than between a man and a woman and I have read Dutch forums on which gays were discussing this issue...I came to the understanding that they won't be recognized other than as a single person. If they want to come here on a GC with their kids...the winner might bring the kids if the "spouse" officially gives permission for the other parent to have sole custody (or permission for the other parent to take the kid and have it live with the other parent)since one parent will stay behind but can visit on a tourist visa....which will be for more than 5 years, before the child can become a citizen and than maybe sponsor the other parent but still the main issue is that the USA doesn't recognize 2 people from the same sex...so in 5 years if nothing has changed, the other parent won't be recognized due to having the same sex as the other one....

On top of that it will be a huge red flag if one parent will go in and out and the kid is their adopted child...cutoms might see it as a threat of staying in the USA in a illegal way later on and refusing the entry of the "partner"...hopefully you can still follow what I try to get across since it is a difficult issue but a very clear one. The only possibility is if one will win and the other can obtain a working visa or both win...

Some gays are playing in the lottery because their partner is a US citizen and they have no other chance of entering the US and stay their in a perminent way...

I'm not a lawyer. This is a toff subject but since the USA doesn't recognize a marriage other than between a man and a woman and I have read Dutch forums on which gays were discussing this issue...I came to the understanding that they won't be recognized other than as a single person. If they want to come here on a GC with their kids...the winner might bring the kids if the "spouse" officially gives permission for the other parent to have sole custody (or permission for the other parent to take the kid and have it live with the other parent)since one parent will stay behind but can visit on a tourist visa....which will be for more than 5 years, before the child can become a citizen and than maybe sponsor the other parent but still the main issue is that the USA doesn't recognize 2 people from the same sex...so in 5 years if nothing has changed, the other parent won't be recognized due to having the same sex as the other one....

On top of that it will be a huge red flag if one parent will go in and out and the kid is their adopted child...cutoms might see it as a threat of staying in the USA in a illegal way later on and refusing the entry of the "partner"...hopefully you can still follow what I try to get across since it is a difficult issue but a very clear one. The only possibility is if one will win and the other can obtain a working visa or both win...

Some gays are playing in the lottery because their partner is a US citizen and they have no other chance of entering the US and stay their in a perminent way...

The son/daughter needs to be a US Citizen and 21 or older in order to claim a parent for the Family-based petition.

The son/daughter needs to be a US Citizen and 21 or older in order to claim a parent for the Family-based petition.

Citizen, I know...that is why it takes at least 5 years....21 or older...I didn't know that, but you could be right...so one more hurdle, which makes it impossible, unless both will win the DV lottery.