S2611 Immigration billl, passes in Senate

Some say ..

Boston_GC said:
Thanks Saras

But do we know when the process is suppose to begin?

Regards

Boston_GC,

I read somewhere that the conference may begin as early as next week. I am not sure of the accuracy of this. Lets hope it starts as soon as possible.

regards,

saras

Eb2

NS_GCD said:
Saras,

Could you offer any insight on the impact on EB2s? Your respone is appreciated.

Regards
NS_GCD

NS_GCD,

If this bill passes then EB2 should be in great shape. It may even become current or atleast advance by a year or so.

regards,

saras

House ..

mamamiax said:
What I see from diff: people, house members this bill likely to fail. No one wants to give amnesty. The house is not at all happy with CIR

mamamiax,

You are absolutely correct. As things stand right now, I am not to optimistic about this bill. Considerable compromises will have to be made in order for this bill to win approval. The House will push to change a lot of things in the Senate version and they will try to get in as much of their own version into the new bill as possible. The key will be the ability of the conference committe to reach some sort of consensus. If certain fractions start taking a hard line on any of the issues then the likelihood of approval is slim. Its almost futile to try to figure this out. We will have to wait and watch. It pure politics at this point.

regards,

saras

Hi saras76,
I do read lot of your postings onto this portal.Can you tell what will happen to EB3 category if the bill passes? Will there be any movement in PD?
I recently got my I-140 approved & PD is Oct 2003,EB3(India).
Is 245(i) cases come under amnesty bill? I just wanted to know that is it worth waiting for EB3 PD to be current?

smbaps

Eb3

smbaps said:
Hi saras76,
I do read lot of your postings onto this portal.Can you tell what will happen to EB3 category if the bill passes? Will there be any movement in PD?
I recently got my I-140 approved & PD is Oct 2003,EB3(India).
Is 245(i) cases come under amnesty bill? I just wanted to know that is it worth waiting for EB3 PD to be current?

smbaps

smbaps,

I am no expert but from what I read I gather that this bill will have an immediate effect on 2001 and 2002 EB3 PDs from India. For Rest of the World EB3s the dates will probably become current. With a PD of 2003 (India) I think it will still take atleast a year or year and a half after the bill has passed and been implemented for things to happen. These are very rough estimates.

regards,

saras

Saras76, The Conference is starting on June 5th. Do you know how long it will go on?

saras76 said:
mamamiax,

You are absolutely correct. As things stand right now, I am not to optimistic about this bill. Considerable compromises will have to be made in order for this bill to win approval. The House will push to change a lot of things in the Senate version and they will try to get in as much of their own version into the new bill as possible. The key will be the ability of the conference committe to reach some sort of consensus. If certain fractions start taking a hard line on any of the issues then the likelihood of approval is slim. Its almost futile to try to figure this out. We will have to wait and watch. It pure politics at this point.

regards,

saras

Chances are bleak

As per shusterman the chances are too less that CIR will pass this year.

Check out www.shusterman.com

Hard to imagine that nobody thinks and listen to our problems.

Good Luck.

peace4u said:
does anyone know?..

No conference committee yet. It could mean two things:

1. House doesn't want anything to do with this bill, so it's DoA.
2. Backroom dealings are going on b/w House & Senate. If they make sufficient progress in getting closer and become optimistic about a deal, they'll formally form a committee.

No one can tell what's going on. One can't go by politicians' statements as they're directed towards voters. The longer it is without any news, the less likely that the bill will live. Historically, it doesn't take this long to form a committee so the 1st possibility looks increasingly likely.

Since legitimate polls continue to show majority of public is against CIR/ammnesty and 4 out of 4 recent elections have replaced those with pro amesnty agenda, I read an article saying that House members thought more about and they feel comfortable to let CIR just die. If such action has the public support, think about it, that is the best strategy for them. With many pro amnesty senators out of job in November, it would be easier for the House to enact HR 4437 as is just after the elections in November. I am sorry folks, but so far that is a fact. It is not speculation. In my Washington State, a democrat state, Sen. Cantwell (D) is already showing she is starting to get even on the polls against a Republican. The public perception is that Republicans can be replaced by Republicans. To surprise of many, including myself, it seems that the bad reputation Republicans earned after Pres. Bush is not necessarily a factor to make Democrats regain control of Senate and the House as originally thought. It is still early of course, but if that proves to be the case, then we can goodbye to CIR for a while. Let's pray H1B lobbysts can come up with a bill of our own.

House members
gravitation said:
No conference committee yet. It could mean two things:

1. House doesn't want anything to do with this bill, so it's DoA.
2. Backroom dealings are going on b/w House & Senate. If they make sufficient progress in getting closer and become optimistic about a deal, they'll formally form a committee.

No one can tell what's going on. One can't go by politicians' statements as they're directed towards voters. The longer it is without any news, the less likely that the bill will live. Historically, it doesn't take this long to form a committee so the 1st possibility looks increasingly likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Stem

What about STEM?
If S2611 dies does STEM die with it?
Or do we atleast have hope that STEM might survive?

This sucks!

We all will be talking about the same issue 3 years from now. We will still be rotting in our current jobs and our employer will be having fun with our situation. WTF, is going on in this country. Now it's a land of opportunity only for 'Congress' and politicians.

I think the government is also involved in this high tech slavery. They get low paid individuals who pay taxes, work like dogs, never complain/no crime, dont get any benefits and are just happy to be here.

We all share the same misery! :mad:

In India nobody cared about us, how can we expect anything here. Hardworking middle class people are screwed everywhere. Just live with it.

But I guess can't get too pessimitic and have to lead our lives with or without a status in USA. Life goes on!

A day without Indian tech immigrant

What we need to do is tell the govt legal immigration is diff from illegal one. We should have a day of strike - no legal immigrant who is affected by retrogression should work on a particular day - let the country know we are important too. STEM needs to be passed soo.

Folks
Hate to end the week on such a low note!
But I think its time all of us take a step back and take a hard look at our goals/aspirations and how this crap ties into it!
For all the optimism/hope the reality is unless you are content with your life 'As-Is' for years to come, its time to get serious about your plan B and above all a complete change in your thought process!(aka I just need to have my life hanging by a thread for a few more months till that 'magical' approval comes through and then I'll be fine)
We'll either have to learn how to be fine without that 'magical transformation' or forget abut this whole crap and start our lives afresh with plan B.

Just my 2 cents....

Guys..What about STEM?

What about STEM?

Stem

krishna_ said:
What about STEM?

krishna,

If the CIR dies, which it probably will, I do not see the Senate or Congress taking up any other immigration related bill anytime soon. If the CIR fails then we can pretty much forget about this year. Actually we should forget about this year, its already June and nothing has changed. I don't see much happening in the next six months. In the near term, we are totally at the mercy of the visa bulletins. Its really depressing but true.

I tend to agree with CoolTiger. We need to either continue in this state of limbo for a few more years or take steps to change the situation by implementing Plan B (whatever that may be).

regards,

saras

Invested in this country!

We can surely talk about plan B, but the reality is we are so heavily invested in this country that even a thought os plan B make me feel numb. I as most of the people on the forum want to stay in this country and enjoy the freedom and prosperity. We love our country (my case India) but we all know the fact is after staying in USA for 9 years, it's hard to move back there. I have spent 1/3 of my life in USA and have lot of attachment to this country. Well the politicians dont care but a lot of my good american friends feel sorry for my (our) situation as I educated a few of them about the lack of action by politicians and how difficult it is to get a legal greencard. I hope one day someone will hear our voice. All we can do now is SCREAM of deaf ears! Maybe a crack will form which can bring some hope. Right now it's just dead silence. :mad: :(

If you were on EB3 World April 2002...

If you were on my shoes, EB3 World April 2002, would trigger AC21 or would just wait for visa bulletin advancement ?