S2611 Immigration billl, passes in Senate

The visa bulletins are our only hope. As I always expected, CIR opposers are going to drag their feet as much as they can. The problem with that is that it makes the introduction of other bills even harder (SKIL, etc). They will always say, well, CIR is out there, let's see what the American public will say throughout the year about legal and illegal immigration. I already know what the American public think on that.

If the AILA/DOS liasion returns a statement "For 2007, EB3 continues with heavy demand. Movement will be slow or may retrogress in the coming months" so then we are doomed. I think at that point those with EAD should actively looking for another position. I will do that in September if this visa bulletin doesn't show signs of steady advancement.

Current CIR debates suit everybody -

All sides get to air their stance and posture without actually having to do anything or provide movement

marlon2006 - wonder what it would take to separate legal provisions

marlon2006, I wonder what it would take to separate legal provisions out of CIR.
I hear from legal immigration gurus, that we should probably wait until cir is dead, before we can consider separation as a option. But I am concerned that it might be too late to wait until that happens...

fyi - post from immigration-law.com

Just a fyi - saw this port on immigration-law.com, pasting it as is...

06/21/2006: Conference Committee Not Likely for CIR Before Election

* Report indicates that the House leadership has decided to schedule a series of hearings this summer rather than agreeing to the Senate's conference committee request. The future of CIR is very uncertain.

AGC4ME said:
You summed it up right buddy. The point is after having spent 5 years in the process you dont want to give up. But opportunities are going by everyday. After all this I don't think I want to become citizen of this country. All I want is freedom to chart my own career. Imagine being Programmer-Analyst for the past 5 years coding in COBOL/JCL blah blah....THIS SUCKS BIG TIME...

Opportunities are going by .damn right abt that.
But what abt those people who dont even have the oppotunity to have a missed oppotunity :D
I know it is all very disheartning but BUT!! we are still better off than alot of people.
And this coming from a man who has been waiting since 2001 and since 2004 ( after interview ) for no apparent reason besides the whim of the officer.
I am not saying that i dont think abt it , I still check my mailbox everyday expecting something out of the ordinary a sign or something , BUT i have stopped the GC process from ruling my life.
Take it as part of life , upswings or downswings....... and as far as oppotunities go , maybe there is one waiting for you and it is the one of a kind :)
On an ending note .yes USCIS sux......Big time :p

It can work either way.

The problem is that they may never come up in the open and say, "CIR coffin in the nail is here". No, they may just leave the thing in the air as is. Folks, as is, CIR is in a vegetative state, with critical brain trauma, bleeding a lot internally, weak pulse.

If it is to put a lobbying effort and update us on results to find out what lawmakers are saying about our bill such as SKIL, I would be willing to donate money for that. I have friends who think the same way. Many people, including me, never contributed because we never put faith in any amnesty bill given the political mood of this country. Moreover, our provisions were always part of the McCain/Kennedy thing. AILA wrote most of that, they would not leave us out since they could profit from us.

Anyway, that is past. Now it is time to move on. I just hope that we can plan to contact lawmakers ASAP and argue that CIR is too uncertain to count with it.

for_ac21 said:
marlon2006, I wonder what it would take to separate legal provisions out of CIR.
I hear from legal immigration gurus, that we should probably wait until cir is dead, before we can consider separation as a option. But I am concerned that it might be too late to wait until that happens...

marlon2006 said:
The problem is that they may never come up in the open and say, "CIR coffin in the nail is here". No, they may just leave the thing in the air as is. Folks, as is, CIR is in a vegetative state, with critical brain trauma, bleeding a lot internally, weak pulse.

If it is to put a lobbying effort and update us on results to find out what lawmakers are saying about our bill such as SKIL, I would be willing to donate money for that. I have friends who think the same way. Many people, including me, never contributed because we never put faith in any amnesty bill given the political mood of this country. Moreover, our provisions were always part of the McCain/Kennedy thing. AILA wrote most of that, they would not leave us out since they could profit from us.

Anyway, that is past. Now it is time to move on. I just hope that we can plan to contact lawmakers ASAP and argue that CIR is too uncertain to count with it.

they said they want to put security at the borders first but wait on the rest on the bill??? are they really wait another year to do something about the bill???

any thoughts?

marlon2006 said:

marlon2006 - this is very encouraging

Hi Morlon2006, this is very encouraging. I am willing to contribute to such an effort myself.

I wish all of us like minded can come forward with their interest, and enlist themselves, if we have enough numbers and contribute, we can definitely,
plan forward,

1. for_ac21
2. marlon2006

If I see enough people, I will start a new thread...
Thank you.

marlon2006 said:

marlon2006 said:

This is correct approach ... AFTER CIR drama is over. It's too soon to build momentom for a new Immigration bill... Lawmaking is a glacial process... patience ...patience ...patience.

i wish good luck to those who want to fight for their cause........i have given up.....i would prefer to go back to my home country or to aust/canada rather than waste my time and energy pursuing politicians...

dont get me wrong.....i fully support those who want to fight because thats is their top priority.....i totally understand that once you spend more than 5 years.....in this country it becomes your home......and going to another place is painful....

i have been here since 4 years.....but luckily retrogression kicked in a year back....and i stopped feeling at home......i am going to try to stay without getting too attched or involved in this GC process....but i have started my backup plans also...

for me USA is still the number one place on earth......too bad politicians want to screw things up..

techy2468 said:
i wish good luck to those who want to fight for their cause........i have given up.....i would prefer to go back to my home country or to aust/canada rather than waste my time and energy pursuing politicians...

dont get me wrong.....i fully support those who want to fight because thats is their top priority.....i totally understand that once you spend more than 5 years.....in this country it becomes your home......and going to another place is painful....

i have been here since 4 years.....but luckily retrogression kicked in a year back....and i stopped feeling at home......i am going to try to stay without getting too attched or involved in this GC process....but i have started my backup plans also...

for me USA is still the number one place on earth......too bad politicians want to screw things up..

Going through the GC process sure is painful. How about government Beurocracy in India? I've a unique perspective. I lived in North America for 3 years and than went back. Another 3 years in India and came to US.

I faced more frustation with all dealings with the government in India than in US taking into account the GC process. Living in US really raises our expectations. The only reason India will feel like home to me is due to relatives. I was 10 times more unwelcome in India in a government office than I ever felt in US.

The bottomline is that, immigration system is screwed up for sure... but don't take it personally. It will improve. We -in current times- are stuck at the bottom lag of a cyclic process.

i agree with you gravitation.....but if it takes 2-3 years for this process to be cleaned up and if we get benefits then........it is too late........my career will be screwed up.....i will be stressed out......

the biggest factor for me......equal employment is missing for a H1 visa holder....which makes life miserable...

There are lots of countermeasures and laws already in place to beef up security. If they deploy 6,000 troops, that may help at least a little bit. They could deploy more troops (30,000) if they really wanted. That should help for good. Regarding interior enforcement, I think they have announced rounds up recently. The other day 2,100 people got caught and many deported. They can do it using current laws.

Think about it, it is true that the amnesty bill unlikely would gather sufficient votes from a conference to pass. Likewise, HR 4437 (enforcement only bill) doesn't have enough votes to pass either. As is, the process is stalled. After the November elections, it seems opposers of amnesty expect to see many incumbents pro amnesty out of the office. Then a decision would be made at point and a bill could pass. Honestly, I am may wrong and I don't know many things, but I doubt that the amnesty bill would pass. Pehaps a Cornyn/Kyl type of bill at most. Until they revive this after the November election, it may be at minimum one year from now to get this process discussed again. It is true it can go either way. Who knows, perhaps Democrats can win. I will wait and see.

puceml72 said:
they said they want to put security at the borders first but wait on the rest on the bill??? are they really wait another year to do something about the bill???

Last edited by a moderator:
Waste of time?

People,

We keep on discussing this like a broken record. Take care of your health as such discussions lead to higher blood pressure, mental fatigue and can lead to early health problems. Start doing some yoga and read gita. Keep the good work going and the processs with take care of the pain. I know our careers are getting screwed up. Most of us are in IT and working on stupid support projects and not getting the salaries that we deserve. I can leave my current job and easily earn 15,000 more. But stuck in this piece of shit process. We all feel like 'Abhimanyu', just stuck and dont know what the outcome is. So relax, have a beer, watch a nice movie, light up a cigratte and n'joy. I have come to conclusion 'Life is more than chasing a greencard'.

9 years and counting in this country without a legal permanant acceptance. Dang, that hurts. But hey, we can explore more places if we dont get a permanant status here.

N'joy and have a good long wkend! :rolleyes: :)

Tha' HowlingWild

New twist!

HowlingWild said:
People,

We keep on discussing this like a broken record. Take care of your health as such discussions lead to higher blood pressure, mental fatigue and can lead to early health problems. Start doing some yoga and read gita. Keep the good work going and the processs with take care of the pain. I know our careers are getting screwed up. Most of us are in IT and working on stupid support projects and not getting the salaries that we deserve. I can leave my current job and easily earn 15,000 more. But stuck in this piece of shit process. We all feel like 'Abhimanyu', just stuck and dont know what the outcome is. So relax, have a beer, watch a nice movie, light up a cigratte and n'joy. I have come to conclusion 'Life is more than chasing a greencard'.

9 years and counting in this country without a legal permanant acceptance. Dang, that hurts. But hey, we can explore more places if we dont get a permanant status here.

N'joy and have a good long wkend! :rolleyes: :)

Tha' HowlingWild

07/05/2006: Bush Has Reportedly Shifted Stance on Illegal Immigration and Guest Worker Program

New York Times reports that Republicans both inside and outside the White House say Mr. Bush, who has long insisted on comprehensive reform, is now open to a so-called enforcement-first approach that would put new border security programs in place before creating a guest worker program or path to citizenship for people living in the United States illegally. Read on.
07/04/2006: Follow-Up of Termination of Local USCIS EAD Production