S2611 Immigration billl, passes in Senate

Immigration issue became an urgent issue as illegals aliens took to the streets... A day without Immigrants ... send the whole administration into a spin and they have to come up with some arrangements for the immigrants..

[Legal aliens should thank the illegals brothers .. as they are ones who forced every one to pay attention to immigrants plights. They did the real groundwork.]

But I still think.. whatever they are doing now is some sort of PATCH Work instead of doing a serious overhaul of the system.

In the current form .. the immigrants are exploited ... many immigrants also get ahead with the loop holes in the system .. and worst of all the whole system is failing.

Increasing the EB quota will helps you and me a lot ... we MIGHT be out of this mess .... the increased quota will again go full with ever increasing number of H1b and other workers.

A clean new point system of immigration .. I would think would have been ideal .. with no strings attached to employer. The would be real freedom.

Yes

madgu-gc2005 said:
What about the person having ph.d from foreign university and 4 years post doctoral experience in US.? will they be included or they will be up in the air?

My guess is that they will be included as long as their degree is in STEM.

... also keep in mind that the FBI will be "suddenly" inundated with an additional 5-12 million requests for security check ! Now tell that to people who are already suffering from massive security check delays ...

The state department can also cause the visa dates to retrogress and thus waste each years quotas significantly if they wish to do so (EB3 went to 1998 from 2001 in a span of few months last time) - we all know they do not have to explain or be subject to anyone's oversight ...

Sensenbrenner disses Senate immigration bill

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2006/05/sensenbrenner_d.html

"There are 66 million new legal immigration visas. I think that's too many. We've taken a million legal immigrants a year, which is the second-highest percentage in the history of our country, as expressed as a total percentage of population, in the last decade. There are 66 million new visas, together with the existing visas, in the next 20 years. And that's in addition to the illegals that would end up being amnestied."

until the bill becomes the law, I will give a serious consideration of it. You'd better off to range your life, GC or not, assume it won't be happening. That might in long term help more :)

I would keep my finger crossed, remember last time the bill(budget reconcilation includes visa recapture) was approved in senate and congress removed it from the bill

Until it becomes law, no guarantees

there will be long queue for fingerprint, background check, name check its only going to get worse

Agreed that more needs to be done, but at least savor this!

webjockey wrote
I would keep my finger crossed, remember last time the bill(budget reconcilation includes visa recapture) was approved in senate and congress removed it from the bill

Agreed that there is a difficult period ahead, but this was our best chance. Believe it, because I do, that IV has a lot to do with this actually happening.

neocor wrote (amongst other things)
We just have nothing to do other then just sit around the expect good things to happen automatically by default or some fluke or some oversight by the law makers.

Do not be negative - you can do what others also did on your behalf. I am not a legal person, but there are so many good provisions which have been supported by many staunch conservatives, as well as Dems.

USCIS will certainly get increased funding, along with the increased fees. So they may become more efficient.

But, the main point is that this is nothing to cry about - this is a really positive happening!

`(I) ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS- An alien may not adjust to an immigrant classification under this section until after the earlier of--

`(i) the consideration of all applications filed under section 201, 202, or 203 before the date of enactment of this section; or

`(ii) 8 years after the date of enactment of this section.

This is a quote from the section that guarantees that none of the 'illegals' will ever get ahead of all the legals that are presently in the queue.

I do not understand what numbers are being bandied about by anti-immigration people, but here is what has been quoted by the Congressional Budget Office, from an independent report

In contrast to the dire predictions of the bill’s opponents, the Congressional Budget Office estimates that the U.S. population would grow by about 7.8 million over the next 10 years under the original Senate bill. This total includes undocumented immigrants who acquire legal status, guest workers, other immigrants who enter the country through family-based or employment-based channels, and any children born to immigrants after they arrive.

So, guys savor this moment, and gird up for the battle that is likely to ensue! If you are an anti-immigrationist, I apologize but we the legal immigrants are certainly likely to stay! And, we will do some real good work here for our adopted land, for our kids & families and even benefit you and your families!

I know that nothing will convince some of you, but needed to write this anyway.

God Bless Us All!

Last edited by a moderator:
BoxOfChocs said:
So, guys savor this moment, and gird up for the battle that is likely to ensue! If you are an anti-immigrationist, I apologize but we the legal immigrants are certainly likely to stay! And, we will do some real good work here for our adopted land, for our kids & families and even benefit you and your families!

I know that nothing will convince some of you, but needed to write this anyway.

God Bless Us All!

Amen!

Well said Boxofchocs. This trend of viewing present time honest immigrants as somehow totaly different from the immigrants who came to this country 100+ yrs ago cannot be explained in just a few words...

We are surely honest, hardworking individulas who actually quite often start small businesses and create jobs... just as all the prevous immigrant generations did..

It is not the matter of peole "getting ahead of us", it is a matter that USCIS and other agencies may get overhelmed by the millions of requests for services - such as employment authorization cards for illegals - and that indirectly may be another valid excuse to pile our cases.

We simply do not yet the outcome of this. The only thing we know is that this administration has a reputation for not planning things thoroughly.

I do not understand what numbers are being bandied about by anti-immigration people, but here is what has been quoted by the Congressional Budget Office, from an independent report

Regarding the quote below, I don't see how in 10 years the population could grow only to 7.8 million if the majority of illegal aliens - which are at least 11 million - could get legalization right away. Chain migration is also a fact. I don't get that.

Quote:
In contrast to the dire predictions of the bill’s opponents, the Congressional Budget Office estimates that the U.S. population would grow by about 7.8 million over the next 10 years under the original Senate bill. This total includes undocumented immigrants who acquire legal status, guest workers, other immigrants who enter the country through family-based or employment-based channels, and any children born to immigrants after they arrive.

BoxOfChocs said:
do ever get ahead of all the legals that are presently in the queue.

God Bless Us All!

I hear Bill Gates is really happy. Now he can hire several low paid software slaves (h1b) to create more bad bloatware and more unemployed American engineers.

?So stop living because everything is negative?

Regarding the quote below, I don't see how in 10 years the population could grow only to 7.8 million if the majority of illegal aliens - which are at least 11 million - could get legalization right away. Chain migration is also a fact. I don't get that.

They are only allowed 200,000 visas a year, that will start after the current log is cleared. See the language in the Bill. Or, see my other post.

Lets be a little positive here ..

Guys and Gals,

We all know that there is no bill that can solve all problems. The way I look at it is that we are in a pretty bad situation and the future without any bill looks really bleak. This bill (if it become law) will bring some relief and we should be a happy with that. I am not sure why we immigrants that have no say in this and currently have nothing in hand keep complaining about each and everything that may happen. Say the road to the GC consists of 10 steps, most of us are on 0 right now, this bill will atleast put us on step 4-5. How is that bad?

I understand that it may cause problems in the future but what is the alternative. Should everyone keep suffering like this without any change? I am not in favor of that ..

regards,

saras

Yes, absolutely. This bill is a big relief to many of us, who can atleast file the late stage (485) of their green card process. There are many people who have their LC's through PERM and approved I-140. Currently - without this kind of a reform - it is not possible to file I-485 for another 4-5 years. If this bill becomes law, then atleast people will be able to file 485 and get EAD's, even if the actual Green Card comes 3-4 years down the line! It is better than not being able to file 485.

Realistic outlook ..

Guys and Gals,

After reviewing the provisions of the bill I have come to the conclusion that his bill (if passed to law with all the legal provisions intact) will benefit the following two communities of EB3 filers -

1. EB3s with PDs in 2001 and before. World Wide should see significant gains and India EB3 will get over the 2001 hump. The extra visa numbers that will be added to the quota will have an immediate effect on these filers. I have a feeling that the extra visas will help India EB3 with PDs in 2002 as well but I am being a little conservative here.

2. EB3s that have not filed their 485s will also benefit immediately because they will be able to file their 485s.

The people that may not see any immediate relief are India EB3s with PDs in 2003 and 2004 and World Wide EB3s with more recent PDs such as 2005 etc.

Please feel free to comment on or correct my assumptions ...

regards,

saras

Conference - next step timeline

I am wondering if anyone has any idea about the timeline on conference committee.

Atleast a couple of months

Boston_GC said:
I am wondering if anyone has any idea about the timeline on conference committee.

Boston_GC,

The timing of the conference depends on when it starts but I think it will take atleast 1 month or two for any sort of resolution. Might even be longer, who knows.

regards,

saras

Eb2

saras76 said:
Guys and Gals,

After reviewing the provisions of the bill I have come to the conclusion that his bill (if passed to law with all the legal provisions intact) will benefit the following two communities of EB3 filers -

1. EB3s with PDs in 2001 and before. World Wide should see significant gains and India EB3 will get over the 2001 hump. The extra visa numbers that will be added to the quota will have an immediate effect on these filers. I have a feeling that the extra visas will help India EB3 with PDs in 2002 as well but I am being a little conservative here.

2. EB3s that have not filed their 485s will also benefit immediately because they will be able to file their 485s.

The people that may not see any immediate relief are India EB3s with PDs in 2003 and 2004 and World Wide EB3s with more recent PDs such as 2005 etc.

Please feel free to comment on or correct my assumptions ...

regards,

saras

Saras,

Could you offer any insight on the impact on EB2s? Your respone is appreciated.

Regards
NS_GCD

The House is against CIR!

saras76 said:
Boston_GC,

The timing of the conference depends on when it starts but I think it will take atleast 1 month or two for any sort of resolution. Might even be longer, who knows.

regards,

saras

What I see from diff: people, house members this bill likely to fail. No one wants to give amnesty. The house is not at all happy with CIR