S. 1932 Status

1)Can I apply for 7th year extention from company A?

no idea.

2)Do I have to change to employer A before 7th year enters and apply for Extention of 1 year immediately or I can transfer to company A till July 2006(thats when my current H1-B, I-94 expires with employer B)?

i am not sure about switching to company A before you reach 6 years, but to be safe side i would recommend to get 3 years H1 extension with employer B (based on labor and 140).
I am doing same thing (get 3 years H1 extension with current employer and get it stamped, bcoz 1 year extension is really pain, and we cannot predict when our PD's going to become current - mine is 11/02-EB3)

3)Can I continue.. with the current employer B and apply for 140 and 485 through employer A(as a future applicant, even though I was working for them at the time of LC application)?[/QUOTE]

YES...

sr2610 said:

no idea.

2)Do I have to change to employer A before 7th year enters and apply for Extention of 1 year immediately or I can transfer to company A till July 2006(thats when my current H1-B, I-94 expires with employer B)?

i am not sure about switching to company A before you reach 6 years, but to be safe side i would recommend to get 3 years H1 extension with employer B (based on labor and 140).
I am doing same thing (get 3 years H1 extension with current employer and get it stamped, bcoz 1 year extension is really pain, and we cannot predict when our PD's going to become current - mine is 11/02-EB3)

3)Can I continue.. with the current employer B and apply for 140 and 485 through employer A(as a future applicant, even though I was working for them at the time of LC application)?

YES...[/QUOTE]

Hi sr2610, thank you for the reply.. Are you in same situation as mine(trying to change the employer?) Did you consult any attorney. Some people are suggesting I should transfer to employer A with premium processing before 7th year enters and apply for extention for 7th year immediately after the approval..

thanks

sr2610 said:

no idea.

3)Can I continue.. with the current employer B and apply for 140 and 485 through employer A(as a future applicant, even though I was working for them at the time of LC application)?

YES...[/QUOTE]

Hi sr2610, can you email me at priya333 (at) gmail.com.. I would like to know if you are in same situation as me and ask few more details..

Hello everyone,

There are chances that senate may take immigration Reform bill in January last week instead of February. It all depends on the Alito's confirmation. At this time indications are that some of the Democrats activity may delay Aito's confirmaiton by one week.

Senate Judiciary chairman Arlen Spector have said that he would like to finish the Alito's confirmation as early as possible so that they can start on other things. The biggest challange for Senate is how to deal with the Christmas gift that House have given to them by passing the H.R. 4437. There are few options that Senate has.

1. Put that bill on the shelf
2. Attach the Guest worker program with that bill and then deal with them again in conference.
3. Combine all the bills together that would address both House and President's request for Guest worker program.

No matter what happens we do not have time. Everyone please get back to work. We need to do following things ASAP.

1. Please ask your friends, family and employer to make contibution at WWW.IMMIGRATIONVOICE.ORG.

2. Start contacting our senators and congressman.

3. Ask our employer to write letter to our senators and congressman.

This is the last chance. If nothing happens this time then start looking to your hair color in the mirror. You will get your GC by the time all your hair is gone.

Cheers

Immigration Voice in DC !!

Dear Friends,

Several memebers of the Immigration Voice organization are in Washington, DC for the weekend.
Many meetings are scheduled over a hectic 3-day period for team building, strategizing and taking the next steps.

My personal congratulations to all the hard-working team members for what has been accomplished in such a short time, and I'm really proud to be working with this motivated bunch of guys.

The task ahead is very hard and I beleive we are very well positioned to give this our best shot.

For folks that have not yet been a part of this effort, PLEASE come forward and help out.
Join www.immigrationVoice as a volunteer and helping hands is necessary in SEVERAL areas over the coming weeks.

Financial contrubution is KEY. Please remember, we are not going anywhere unless we reach our target $$$ objective. All the hard work, dedication shown thus far will go in vain if you don't join in now and contribute.

Also pls read the latest on www.numbersusa.com to see where the anti-immigration strategy is headed. Straight at the Comprehensive Immigration Bill.

I hope everyone here understands what immigrationVoice is up against, and if you don't join the voice right now, it may just end up a meek meow!

Last edited by a moderator:
All the people doing good work can use this article.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/...d=K0ZWE4AA1QUYYQSNDBESKHA?articleID=177100259

Needham predicts chip industry growth of 8 to 9 percent this year but warns that 2006 will be a critical year for the U.S. chip industry if it is to maintain its competitive edge. Some observers said the U.S. government needs to step in with initiatives for reshaping the competitive landscape. Those moves might include incentives for companies that reinvest at home instead of abroad; beefed-up broadband legislation to bolster the U.S. effort and narrow the gap with Asia and Europe, which are ahead in deployment; and changes in immigration laws, notably the H-1B visa program, to stem the "brain drain" of foreign-born but U.S.-trained scientists and innovators back to their countries of origin.

Response from Senator

Here is the response I got from my Senator in TX. Looks like atleast this senator is aware of what's going on. Is there anyway the leaders at immigrationvoice.org could arrange a meeting with him in Washington to see if he can influence our cause.

Dear Dr. XXXXX:

I regret that my reply to your letter has been delayed. I strive to respond to each constituent in a timely fashion, but a technical error in an e-mail system used by the Senate prevented my reply from reaching you before today. The input that you and other Texans provide is valuable to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond without further delay.

Thank you for contacting me about delays in securing immigration visas. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

In the wake of customer complaints and concerns voiced by elected officials, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has informed my office that it is committed to ensuring six-month processing times for all applications and petitions by the close of 2006. Though the USCIS security check process is time consuming, USCIS reforms will not compromise national security in any way. USCIS officials reported recently that streamlining efforts, together with additional resources from Congress, have enabled it to reduce the backlog for many applications. Officials are confident they will achieve their goal for all applications. I applaud this commitment to customer service and look forward to a time when all who seek to visit or immigrate to America receive a prompt decision.

It has also come to my attention that once USCIS approves a petition, many individuals must wait lengthy periods of time because of visa shortages. I recently voted to support a measure that would recapture unused visas from prior years a move which would reduce the overall waiting period for visas. I will also continue to advocate for additional opportunities for legal immigration. Our immigration laws must not favor illegal immigration, but must instead reward those who comply with the rule of law.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

ACtual EB GCs approved by USCIS - 1999 to 2004

Guys and Gals

From the Yearly Immigration Statsitics published by the USCIS/ Department of Homeland Security:

Actual Employment based GCs (LPRs) approved by USCIS for people of Indian origin:
Year EB based - I-485 approved for India (LPRs)

Data source Dept of Homeland Security

1999 5,362
2000 15,557
2001 39,010
2002 42,885
2003 20,526
2004 38,443

A total of 161,783 EB GCs ONLY from all preference categories were approved by USCIS in the past 6 years.

Regards
GCStrat :rolleyes:

Nearly 900,000 I-485 application pending with USCIS as of September 2005

Guys and Gals

FYI- from Dept of Homeland Security Website - immigration information:

"Major volumes of pending applications at the end of September 2005 include:

1,291,868 I-130 relative/I-129F fiancé(e) petitions;
889,447 I-485 permanent resident adjustments;
274,395 I-765 employment authorizations;
253,553 I-90 Green Card Renewals/replacements; and
61,374 I-821 temporary protected status."

USCIS is sitting on nearly 900K applications. At 140K / year, it looks like 6.5 years of backlog.

Regards
GCStrat :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :( :(

impact of 245(i) cases

I dont understand why we are so much anxious about the visa numbers because of 245(i)cases.
Here is my analysis. Please let me know if I am wrong.

1) There is an estimate of 300,000 cases of 245(i) out of which it is estimated that 90% or more are mexicans which have their own quota. So around 30,000 Principal visa numbers will be needed except mexicans.
2) There were two options for the 245(i) applicants.. either they can go with the family based or the emplyment based. Family based is easy to apply rather than employment based as USCIS needs a lot of stuff for verification if someone is applying on employment basis. I would say fewer people applied for employment based.
3) I know personally some people who filed 245(i) and they approved way back and lot of them are still pending at the backlog centers. So there is no estimate how many dont need the visa numbers.
4) Based on the above facts I would say around 15,000 visa numbers would be needed for the employment based and they are further sub divided in India, China, Phillipines and all others.

This doesnt seem much to me. I would say that all others chargebility (in EB3) to which I belong to will become current in 2-3 months. India might take 4 months.

Please comment and let me know.

Backlog estimates - 260K principals only; 539K with dependents

Guys and Gals

Please find enclosed an EXCEL spreadsheet which shows estimates of GC backlog. The numbers apear to be high and are scary. I am prepared to further enhance/ fintune the calculations based on your inputs. Also, if you think, I have made any fundamental errors, let me know. This is what I have done:

1) I have started with FACTS - mostly relying on USCIS/ Department of Homeland Security. The key facts considered were:

ACTUAL number of H-1B and L-1 people ADMITTED into USA from India - I did not consider H-1B approvals as folks actually coming in may be delayed (e.g. 2002 H-1B approval person may enter in 2003). Between 1999 and 2004, 631,518 people on H-1B and L-1 entered USA from India.

2) Based on ACTUAL LPRs (Legal permanent residents information related by Dept of Homeland Security for 2004), I calculated the principal to dependent ratio and arrive at a "dependent factor", which needs to be multiplied to factor for the actual number of GC aspirants. The dependent factor come to 2.07.

3) Next I calculated the level of GC aspirants. This was calculated as follows:
Total number of H-1B & L-1 multiplied by dependent factor less people who went back to India - this number I assumed to a very high figure of 25% i.e. 1 in 4 H-1B/L-1 person returned home. This gaves us 982,150 GC aspirants in the same time period - 1999 to 2004

4) As we all know, a persons GC process is not started immediately. therefore, I created a "distribution" matrix where I assumed the following distribution - Year 1: 10%, Year 2: 30%, Year 3: 40%, Year 4: 15% and Year 5: 5% i.e. for example, of all the people who were admitted in US in say 2000, 10% of those folks had their GC process started in 2000, 30% in 2001, 40% in 2002, 15% in 2003 and finally 5% in 2004. This way, within 5 years, all GC aspirants would have convinced their employers to file their application (more importanly, they have if they want to get the 7th year extension); within the first 3 years, 80% would have initiated their GC process. This distribution matrix shows about 86% of the folks between 1999 to 2004 would have started their GC process by 2005.

5) I have assumed EB2: EB3 proportion as 29%:71% based on inputs on this thread by Akela and others.

6) Next, I searched to obtain authentic data about actual labor filing and I-140 filings. I could not find those and therefore had to do without them, but it did not hamper calculations much. (If someone can help, I am willing to update this sheet)

7) Finally, I obtained key facts about the ACTUAL I-485 adjudicated by USCIS for folks form India. They have approved 161,783 cases from 1999 to 2004.

8) All the above data was used to calculate the BACKLOG figures. 539,020 GC aspirants still waiting i.e. nearly 63% are waiting.
It should be noted that the Backlog can be at any stage - Labor; I-140; I-485.

Frankly, I find this number high - It seems a little odd, 63% of folks are waiting, but this is what the calculations shows.

These calculations seems to suggest that it would have been possible for the EB2 cases to be current till Oct 2005.

Also, I have added 17 sheets (in the EXCEL file) of ACTUAL data that I downloaded from USCIS/ Dept of Homeland Security Website. Please feel free to review them.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards

GCStrat :)

Pointed and respected opinion by Senator. Your letter must have been specific and classy to deserve a reply. So that we can write to our congressmen and senators (even though we are yet to be legalized citizens), could you please post your original letter. We can then use that as a template, include one or two personal stories that are impacting our lives here in the waiting game.
What say you?
raghuanu said:
Here is the response I got from my Senator in TX. Looks like atleast this senator is aware of what's going on. Is there anyway the leaders at immigrationvoice.org could arrange a meeting with him in Washington to see if he can influence our cause.

Dear Dr. XXXXX:

I regret that my reply to your letter has been delayed. I strive to respond to each constituent in a timely fashion, but a technical error in an e-mail system used by the Senate prevented my reply from reaching you before today. The input that you and other Texans provide is valuable to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond without further delay.

Thank you for contacting me about delays in securing immigration visas. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

In the wake of customer complaints and concerns voiced by elected officials, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has informed my office that it is committed to ensuring six-month processing times for all applications and petitions by the close of 2006. Though the USCIS security check process is time consuming, USCIS reforms will not compromise national security in any way. USCIS officials reported recently that streamlining efforts, together with additional resources from Congress, have enabled it to reduce the backlog for many applications. Officials are confident they will achieve their goal for all applications. I applaud this commitment to customer service and look forward to a time when all who seek to visit or immigrate to America receive a prompt decision.

It has also come to my attention that once USCIS approves a petition, many individuals must wait lengthy periods of time because of visa shortages. I recently voted to support a measure that would recapture unused visas from prior years a move which would reduce the overall waiting period for visas. I will also continue to advocate for additional opportunities for legal immigration. Our immigration laws must not favor illegal immigration, but must instead reward those who comply with the rule of law.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

Hi

I have been more or less a silent observer on this forum but I do believe that going out and contacting our House Reps & Senators has been having a largely positive impact. More importantly, it has been useful in educating them on our situation and clearing up some of their many misconceptions.

I have been writing to the U.S. senators in my state i.e. Illinois and here is the latest email I received from Senator Obama.

Dear XXX:

Thank you for writing me regarding immigration policy. I share your belief that our current immigration laws should be reformed.

Immigration will certainly be one of the most important topics debated in Congress this year, and I intend to play a large role in that discussion. I share your belief that legal immigration is beneficial to our country. After all, America has always been known as a country of immigrants. I am also generally supportive of efforts to ensure that jobs not being filled by American workers are available to immigrant or foreign temporary workers and that all workers are paid fairly for their work in a manner that does not depress domestic wages. While I understand that frustration with illegal immigration runs deep in all sections of our country, I think that updating our immigration policy along the lines you suggest would go a long way to alleviating that problem.

The President and Congress must look at immigration reform in a comprehensive manner to guarantee that all workers, including immigrant and “guest” workers, are treated fairly and are afforded basic labor protections. I look forward to working with the people of Illinois, my colleagues in Congress, and the President on these issues during my time in Washington. Together I am confident that we will be able to shape immigration policies that benefit both new immigrants and American citizens.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please stay in touch on this or any other issue of concern.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

gcstrat said:
Guys and Gals

Please find enclosed an EXCEL spreadsheet which shows estimates of GC backlog. The numbers apear to be high and are scary. I am prepared to further enhance/ fintune the calculations based on your inputs. Also, if you think, I have made any fundamental errors, let me know. This is what I have done:

1) I have started with FACTS - mostly relying on USCIS/ Department of Homeland Security. The key facts considered were:

ACTUAL number of H-1B and L-1 people ADMITTED into USA from India - I did not consider H-1B approvals as folks actually coming in may be delayed (e.g. 2002 H-1B approval person may enter in 2003). Between 1999 and 2004, 631,518 people on H-1B and L-1 entered USA from India.

2) Based on ACTUAL LPRs (Legal permanent residents information related by Dept of Homeland Security for 2004), I calculated the principal to dependent ratio and arrive at a "dependent factor", which needs to be multiplied to factor for the actual number of GC aspirants. The dependent factor come to 2.07.

3) Next I calculated the level of GC aspirants. This was calculated as follows:
Total number of H-1B & L-1 multiplied by dependent factor less people who went back to India - this number I assumed to a very high figure of 25% i.e. 1 in 4 H-1B/L-1 person returned home. This gaves us 982,150 GC aspirants in the same time period - 1999 to 2004

4) As we all know, a persons GC process is not started immediately. therefore, I created a "distribution" matrix where I assumed the following distribution - Year 1: 10%, Year 2: 30%, Year 3: 40%, Year 4: 15% and Year 5: 5% i.e. for example, of all the people who were admitted in US in say 2000, 10% of those folks had their GC process started in 2000, 30% in 2001, 40% in 2002, 15% in 2003 and finally 5% in 2004. This way, within 5 years, all GC aspirants would have convinced their employers to file their application (more importanly, they have if they want to get the 7th year extension); within the first 3 years, 80% would have initiated their GC process. This distribution matrix shows about 86% of the folks between 1999 to 2004 would have started their GC process by 2005.

5) I have assumed EB2: EB3 proportion as 29%:71% based on inputs on this thread by Akela and others.

6) Next, I searched to obtain authentic data about actual labor filing and I-140 filings. I could not find those and therefore had to do without them, but it did not hamper calculations much. (If someone can help, I am willing to update this sheet)

7) Finally, I obtained key facts about the ACTUAL I-485 adjudicated by USCIS for folks form India. They have approved 161,783 cases from 1999 to 2004.

8) All the above data was used to calculate the BACKLOG figures. 539,020 GC aspirants still waiting i.e. nearly 63% are waiting.
It should be noted that the Backlog can be at any stage - Labor; I-140; I-485.

Frankly, I find this number high - It seems a little odd, 63% of folks are waiting, but this is what the calculations shows.

These calculations seems to suggest that it would have been possible for the EB2 cases to be current till Oct 2005.

Also, I have added 17 sheets (in the EXCEL file) of ACTUAL data that I downloaded from USCIS/ Dept of Homeland Security Website. Please feel free to review them.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards

GCStrat :)

So your estimate is EB2 will become current in sometime this year?

yamkara said:
Hi

I have been more or less a silent observer on this forum but I do believe that going out and contacting our House Reps & Senators has been having a largely positive impact. More importantly, it has been useful in educating them on our situation and clearing up some of their many misconceptions.

I have been writing to the U.S. senators in my state i.e. Illinois and here is the latest email I received from Senator Obama.

Dear XXX:

Thank you for writing me regarding immigration policy. I share your belief that our current immigration laws should be reformed.

Immigration will certainly be one of the most important topics debated in Congress this year, and I intend to play a large role in that discussion. I share your belief that legal immigration is beneficial to our country. After all, America has always been known as a country of immigrants. I am also generally supportive of efforts to ensure that jobs not being filled by American workers are available to immigrant or foreign temporary workers and that all workers are paid fairly for their work in a manner that does not depress domestic wages. While I understand that frustration with illegal immigration runs deep in all sections of our country, I think that updating our immigration policy along the lines you suggest would go a long way to alleviating that problem.

The President and Congress must look at immigration reform in a comprehensive manner to guarantee that all workers, including immigrant and “guest” workers, are treated fairly and are afforded basic labor protections. I look forward to working with the people of Illinois, my colleagues in Congress, and the President on these issues during my time in Washington. Together I am confident that we will be able to shape immigration policies that benefit both new immigrants and American citizens.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please stay in touch on this or any other issue of concern.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
I feel the most important selling point should be this when contacting lawmakers ...to convince them that the job which s.ware (and others) are doing is critical. if the person doing that job does nt get GC then most likely he will go back to India and the job will also follow him (which would likely lead to loss of 1-2 service jobs as .there will be less taxes, groceries, insurance etc etc revenue for the country).
other point is baby boomers will be retiring from 2007 onwards ..but then I think most lawmakers are aware of that

I agree with Sunjoshi. Thanks to all core team members for starting hard work.

My appeal to all to financially contribute to www.immigrationvoice.org
Still we are far behind to our goal. Without fund, we cann't do any thing. Please come forward and donate as soon as possible.

sunjoshi said:
Dear Friends,

Several memebers of the Immigration Voice organization are in Washington, DC for the weekend.
Many meetings are scheduled over a hectic 3-day period for team building, strategizing and taking the next steps.

My personal congratulations to all the hard-working team members for what has been accomplished in such a short time, and I'm really proud to be working with this motivated bunch of guys.

The task ahead is very hard and I beleive we are very well positioned to give this our best shot.

For folks that have not yet been a part of this effort, PLEASE come forward and help out.
Join www.immigrationVoice as a volunteer and helping hands is necessary in SEVERAL areas over the coming weeks.

Financial contrubution is KEY. Please remember, we are not going anywhere unless we reach our target $$$ objective. All the hard work, dedication shown thus far will go in vain if you don't join in now and contribute.

Also pls read the latest on www.numbersusa.com to see where the anti-immigration strategy is headed. Straight at the Comprehensive Immigration Bill.

I hope everyone here understands what immigrationVoice is up against, and if you don't join the voice right now, it may just end up a meek meow!