S. 1932 Status

meg_z said:
Why don't some of us write something about our jobs, how we help retaining/creating jobs,etc? We can send over to Nozdam if he is going to meeting NumberUSA. Khodalmd, you should write. There is another person, a civil engineer, inventing some new techniques. Thanks.
Here we go again!
Anti-immigration people don't give a damn if you are legal or illegal!:
They are just Anti-immigrants!
Non legal immigrants contribute to US economy as much or more than us legal workers with all our beautiful I-140/ I-485-GC/H1B and alike!

That disctintion reminds me the nazi period in which some Jews thought they wouldn't touch them because they had joined the German Nazi party!
They were taken to the extermination camps as well as any other Jew!

guys....its a dream to unite the immigrant community......but some how i feel that its worth trying...

i hope this weekend i can talk to few of my GC aspirant friends to know their views...as to why many of them are not participating...

archkre said:
Here we go again!
Non legal immigrants contribute to US economy as much or more than us legal workers with all our beautiful I-140/ I-485-GC/H1B and alike!

That disctintion reminds me the nazi period in which some Jews thought they wouldn't touch them because they had joined the German Nazi party!

archkre,
I think you better join some Mexican lawn mover illegal forum ;) .Our fight is here for the legal immigrants. Are you sure you have legal status here?

1999 Experience

Hi Charlotteperson

I am talking to some folks who were instrumental in the 1999-2000 victory also for the 7th year extension. There is a protected forum to discuss strategies. Please sign up! Where There is a will, there is a way.

http://www.nripost.com/forums/

a representatives from the NC (Richard hayes office (R) ) left a voice mail on my cell saying that they wanted to speak with me more about my situation and that they do support legal immigration.

I am off next week and I will talk to them. Since they left a voicemail, I believe I can use that and atleast schedule an appoitment with Richard Hayes. In 1999, they did pass a law to use the unused visa numbers. I would like to raise that point.
[

Starting an organization would not be a bad idea. Lets do it step by step. If everybody agree for an organization(non-profit) for our cause, lets finalize a name, have 2 or 3 people join to make a small website where we could post the news, etc.
Starting a non-profit organization/association is just matter of 24 hours. We will need to name few directors, president, vice-president, etc. lets name those and have the core group as the executive officers and the rest as members.

We need to categories meembers under each state and have 2 directors for each of the sattes. They will be responsible to contact their members from that state and meet the senator/congressman with other members.

Another set of memebers under a director who would collect statistics and data. Another set of members who will organize meetings with major pro-immigrant senaotors, drafting letter, etc.

If we think we are not yet at the stage of registering an organization, we could still name an organization and start the work I mentioned above. At some stage we can register if required.

Let me know what help I can do.

Thanks,

Tom.

rayyan said:
archkre,
I think you better join some Mexican lawn mover illegal forum ;) .Our fight is here for the legal immigrants. Are you sure you have legal status here?
Your racism is comparable to Sensenbrenner's/Tancredo's, etc.
Feel pitty for you!

archkre said:
Here we go again!

Agree with you. Personally I think its a waste of time and effort to talk to well-funded ant-immigration groups. Lets use our energies to leverage change.

Respect dear Rayyan. Given we are all frustrated. archkre has a point as history has proved. Lets post as we would like to read others posts.

Last week i traveled outside the country and came back. Came to know that Sec 8001 was not included. Do you guys know of any bills that support the increase of EB visas in the new year. Now my state senators are back. I can arrange to meet them. Do you guys know of any power point presentations i can take advantage of. I have sunil joshi's previous one.

Thanks

Khodalmd and Meg_z, as much as i wud LOVE to go, Arlington VA is a FAIR distance away from me almots a 4 hour drive each way. Common guys surely a lot more ppl on this forum stay closer than me?

Friends,

Assuming that there are 300K+ application stuck in labor processing alone. If each person in the labor queue contribues 1$ EVERY month towards funds that will be used to lobby and fight unfair procedures in court, we would be able to generate some 1+ million a year... Would it not make sense to atleast keep that option in mind.. The way things are going looks like this kind of ad-hoc policies will continue for the next few years and our lives will be controlled by idiots in labor department and USCIS for the next 3 to 5 years. Please see the attached pdf from Rajiv related to the latest non-sense from Labor department and you will see where I am coming from. I know we had seen some defeats from the courts related to immigrationportal.org but we need to pursue this and not give up on the first defeat in the legal approach.

1$ is nothing, and numbers seem to be our only ally at this point?

note that not all those 300k are affected by retrogression.
further some of them have already left their employers and employers may be waiting to get labor approved just to sell it.
Per murthy, for chinese EB2 PD has already moved past the date around which several of these 300k were filed.
which means probably that most of these are from indians, mexicans, etc. it would be interesting to know how many of those are eb2 indians.
just as an estimate, it is reasonable to take 25-30k as the number of EB2 labors from Indians. I am not considering EB3 cases since most of these employees would have moved on and probably now qualify for EB2 in PERM.
I do not mean to be negative; however, it is a complex exercise to reach all the 1000's Indians who are stuck in the retrogression. It could become a full-time job to undertake such fund collection and other things.

it can be done, it is just a full-time job for a few 100 people to execute such campaign.

kobra33611 said:
Friends,

Assuming that there are 300K+ application stuck in labor processing alone. If each person in the labor queue contribues 1$ EVERY month towards funds that will be used to lobby and fight unfair procedures in court, we would be able to generate some 1+ million a year... Would it not make sense to atleast keep that option in mind.. The way things are going looks like this kind of ad-hoc policies will continue for the next few years and our lives will be controlled by idiots in labor department and USCIS for the next 3 to 5 years. Please see the attached pdf from Rajiv related to the latest non-sense from Labor department and you will see where I am coming from. I know we had seen some defeats from the courts related to immigrationportal.org but we need to pursue this and not give up on the first defeat in the legal approach.

1$ is nothing, and numbers seem to be our only ally at this point?

Tushvp,

Actually, this kind of fund collection was done before and there was a class action law-suit filed by immigrationportal.org. I used to contribute regularly to that organization. However, I must point out that MR.Rajiv took almost all of the expenses for this particular law-suit -please refer to the thread.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=169492

We lost the lawsuit in April of this year. And the organization refunded almost me all the money that I contrubuted. We were hopeful that changes would be made to streamline the system and the movement lost steam.

I think this kind of effort should start again,without just putting all the burden on 1 person- Mr. Khanna in this case. We have to watch-out for our interests and we really do need the funds for that that is simply how things work in USA Inc. Watching-out comes in the form of presentations and lawsuits and other approaches. We need to have enough funds and a mechanism to keep the efforts going. Immigrationportal.org used to do this kind of work, though they that site does not seem to exist anymore.

Keep in mind, even after we get our green cards (which seems really IFFY indeed)- our rights are not the same as a citizens. If I understand correctly, as per the new laws that are coming up, 1 DUI and you are eligible to be deported. As a community we need to have the necessary mechanisms in place to protect our common interests. So far we have been relying on a very few special selfless people like Khanna.

Looks like the anti-immigration groups have these structures in place financially and politically, are we left with any other option, may I ask? Or do we expect to counter them only through faxes :eek: :confused:

I absolutely agree for contributing money.
Initially we need the money for lobbying So I would recommend atleast $50, then onwards one dlooar a month.
Guys please do generous contributions here rather than to an attorney

Last edited by a moderator:
How 4437 hits legal aliens?

kobra33611 said:
If I understand correctly, as per the new laws that are coming up, 1 DUI and you are eligible to be deported.

Kobra33611, where did you find that?

I have looked thru http://thomas.loc.gov for 4437 ([H.R.4437.RH], [H.R.4437.IH] and [H.R.4437.EH]) and found out that this amendment (sec. 606 b) is in regards to removing illegal alliens:

(b) Deportation for DWI-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 237(a)(2) of such Act (8 U.S.C. 1227(a)(2)) is amended by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:

`(F) DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED AND WHILE UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES- An alien--

`(i) who at the time the alien is unlawfully present in the United States and who commits the offense of driving while intoxicated, driving under the influence, or similar violation of State law (as determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security) and who is convicted of such offense, or

`(ii) who is unlawfully present in the United States and who commits an offense by refusing in violation of State law to submit to a Breathalyzer test or other test for the purpose of determining blood alcohol content, is deportable and shall be deported.'.

This is an amendment to 4437 RH which says:

"SEC. 606. REMOVING DRUNK DRIVERS.

(a) In General- Section 101(a)(43)(F) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(43)(F)) is amended by inserting `, including a third drunk driving conviction, regardless of the States in which the convictions occurred, and regardless of whether the offenses are deemed to be misdemeanors or felonies under State or Federal law,' after `offense)'.

(b) Effective Date- The amendment made by subsection (a) shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act and shall apply to convictions entered before, on, or after such date."

Or you have your own interpretation how 4437 hits legal aliens (visa holders, green card holders)?

calisto12,

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not the expert in this matter. I just stated what I understood from various sources. I was trying to make a simple point- In general, these laws and regulations are made in such a manner that they have absolutely no consideration of our rights. Retrogression for example does not make any sense and walks all over our rights. I can think of so many rules and regulations that use us and then just throw us away. We as legal immigrants need to make sure that we get what we deserve- nothing less, nothing more. And we need the necessary mechanisms that will watch over our rights- that was my point. I could be wrong about that particular point that you have clarified.

Retrogression Next Steps : Strategic Planning and Organized Movement

I started a new thread with a more generic title to encompass all the retrogression/GC related issues sharing my two cents here. Well, somebody suggested me to post it in this thread as well, though it looks like that we already are in the similar direction. Anyway, here we go folks...

Hello All,

Although being late in this forum, I followed how meticulously members in s1932 thread worked together setting up a perfect example of an organized team work. The very fact people worked together for a common cause in perfect coordination with each other, it is a victory in itself (Good job everyone!).

Now, with a "temporary" setback from the house bill, I am just trying to share my two cents with a limited immigration related information (pardon me!) on what could be our next steps and how we can be more strategic in making our moves in future in addition to our current efforts mentioned in the other threads :

1. Mass movement by calling/faxing/meeting with senators might certainly help us to a great extent, but we should realize that the actual movers and shakers in the political scenario are the powerful industry giants (microsoft/intel/yahoo etc) who hire influential lobbying firms to make things happen at Washington and fund the congress in return along with the foreign governments who engage in similar types of activities. So, a strong group of 300-400k people waiting for their GC's probably will need to do a little more than the current efforts in order to be seen and heard positively in front of the millions of Americans, Washington and the US tech industry.

2. Under the radar, I am sure a slow but powerful movement must already be under way by the American tech industry, IT companies of India, china and related countries and not to mention the governments of these countries to hire lobbyists for immigration related reforms, though these groups must be pushing for different parts of the immigration reform based upon what suits their needs best.

Of all we know the US tech industry and other groups might be pushing their lobbyists only for H1 quota increase but not for retrogression issues at all, since it might be in their interest for them to have us hang loose on the H1 thread for a little longer and than to become permanent residents as they will lose the cost saving benefits on us the day we get H1 tag off our backs. For the most part, the push for H1 quota increase will be more than the push for EB visa capture or retrogression related issues as it is directly linked to the bottom line of the American and Indian companies, especially on a quarterly and yearly basis when they have to look at their balance sheets.

3. However, it wouldn't hurt us to touch base with some lobbyists that could suggest us how the internal lobbying system works in the US. Also, if there could be a way to have US/Indian/Chinese tech industry, Indian/Chinese etc. governments believe that they get affected by the retrogression as well. This will give us a heavier leverage on this effort, high visibility within US and more resources to work with.

Working together in this forum is a good start, however, at some point, we should look into:

1. Expansion out of the current forum by forming strategic alliances with other influential groups and forums,
3. Researching on competitive intelligence of anti-immigration groups and forums,
4. Hiring lobbyists and law firms to provide the necessary guidance and assistance,
5. Setting up informative website(s) that presents our issues and problems with reasonably well backed up facts for our audience and people in general. And also, for removing GC related myths and separating ourselves with illegal immigrants
6. Understanding the fact that people in America are experiencing this change of global competition and respecting it, since accepting any change is difficult and takes some time, especially, if it is not for better.
7. It is their country and we are trying to immigrate here with our professional competence for a better life, not with our arrogant skill and tax comparison attitude with the fellow residents and citizens. Whatever might the fact, certain things are not made obvious, especially, if they have a tendency to get sensitive
8. Avoiding generalization of the perception that Americans are generally poor in math and science succumbing to our technical superiority and losing their jobs to us, or for that matter, boasting that all Indian and Chinese techies on H1 displacing American workers are better techies, and thus, have a rationale to displace others.
9. We should face the facts that the tech industry is trying to exploit, both the H1s and the residents/citizens by juggling people onsite/offshore in contract and full time employment to get the best value in the lowest rate at the end of the day. I think we all know that well.
10. Also, nothing works like threat or fear of future loss. If the industry and government groups are made aware of the possible loss that they could incur because of the retrogression issues, probably they themselves would do our jobs by hiring the most powerful lobbyists to introduce bills in the congress over and over till things get sorted out.
11. The current movement sounds more like pleading our case to the different senators around the country that may or may not work, but, if the same push comes from the industry and the foreign governments (Indian, Chinese etc), then things will certainly be taken on a more serious note than the present.

Again, I am not trying to undermine anybody’s efforts here, our direction and motivation looks good, I am just trying to share my thoughts and suggest future direction in addition to what is already being thought or worked upon. I would appreciate if others could add their comments and suggestions so that we can validate our direction.

In the meanwhile, I will try to get some information on the different lobbyists that generally work on such efforts.

Regards.

Calisto12,

One more thing, now that you have pointed out the actual text....If this law goes into effect and Lets assume that you are stopped by a cop for running a red light. How do you prove your legal presence in the country? You carry your passport with you all the time and show him your visa stamping? Your latest pay-stub ? How much training would it take for an average cop to understand the complex H1 status issues? There are racist cops out there you know? What if they "decide" you are out of status..... Welcome to the new world, can of worms meets hornets nest :p

My point is, Lets do our best to have mechanisms in place to protect our rights. It would require contributions.