S. 1932 Status

Guys ANY updates on the senate version of the bill, even the AILA says:

"We will keep you updated on the budget reconciliation bill's progress in the Senate. If it passes without the provisions for H-1B blackout and retrogression relief, we will begin looking for new options to secure such relief in the new year."

Surely that means that the senate has yet to have it's say. Any thoughts?

nozdam said:

"We will keep you updated on the budget reconciliation bill's progress in the Senate. If it passes without the provisions for H-1B blackout and retrogression relief, we will begin looking for new options to secure such relief in the new year."

Here is the latest on S1932 from Senate site:

S.1932
Title: An original bill to provide for reconciliation pursuant to section 202(a) of the concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2006 (H. Con. Res. 95).
Sponsor: Sen Gregg, Judd [NH] (introduced 10/27/2005) Cosponsors (None)
Related Bills: H.RES.640, H.R.4241
Latest Major Action: 12/19/2005 Conference report agreed to in House. Status: On agreeing to the conference report Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: 212 - 206 (Roll no. 670).
Latest Conference Report: 109-362

Here is the link: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:s.01932:

I heard Senator Kent Concord advocating against S1932 and the voting Senator Kerry, Liberman, CA Senator Dianne Fresteine mentioninjg how this new law will adversely the nations.... nothing to do with Section 8.

I should solute to you, WaldenPond. You did an awesome work!
I live in Indiana and suffered the loss today.
I want to be a member of core group.

Several suggestions regarding this group.
1. I see your list have a lot of dedicated coworkers. If they agree to join the core group, the group will be more representive. Would you please send them invitations?
2. You need join the group since you are the man initiating it.
3. There are some wonderful guys who showed great relationship with congressman/senator, we need them included in the core group.
4. The core group should not isolate themselves from other members. The responsiblity of core group should be to organize thoughts, to initiate letters/presentation, to meet with congressman, and coordinate with other sibling organization.
5. We need draft letters to medias as soon as possible.
6. We need ask for help from congressman such as Spector to initiate another bill.
7. We know all the work is not easy. But we have to lobby before Feb. 2006.

Again, your work is awesome, please keep the momentum and join the group.

WaldenPond said:
Hello brkl1935,

Your questions are genuine. I will be with the group and this effort all the way to the victory and after that. I am not a leader of this or any other group, just putting in effort to organize the effort of so many motivated individuals on this forum. Anybody on this forum who wants to be the leader is one. I have been silent worker and just like yourself followed this thread from long time. I am not an attorney. Today has been a bad day for all of us and even though I am down too, I know that this is not over …. not yet, not like this, not till this issue is resolved in justified manner.

And I was the one of the first on this forum to mention that section 8 is not part of the final report of the conference committee. Not that I am any proud of posting such information. But in the same post I did mention that I will do it … and do it alone and go to Washington and work for this issue, even if I have to do it alone.

WaldenPond

Do we have to be here?

Do we have to be here?

NEW DELHI: India recorded the highest jump in average salaries in 2005, according to the latest Asia Pacific salary survey by HR consulting firm Hewitt.

The average hike in salaries was pegged at 13.9%— the highest among the countries covered by the survey— led by an even higher average salary increases in the IT enable sector(17.9%).

The biggest hikes were reported for professionals, supervisor and technical level personnel(15.7%) and the group is expected to be at about the same level next year.

This is in line with the fact that this employee group also reported the highest attrition rate in the country this year, pegged at 19.5%.

The average salary hikes in India was much higher compared to some of other fast growing markets in the region. India was followed by countries like Philippines(8.2%), China(8.1%) and Thailand(6.3%).

Noretro said:
I should solute to you, WaldenPond. You did an awesome work!
I live in Indiana and suffered the loss today.
I want to be a member of core group.

Several suggestions regarding this group.
1. I see your list have a lot of dedicated coworkers. If they agree to join the core group, the group will be more representive. Would you please send them invitations?
2. You need join the group since you are the man initiating it.
3. There are some wonderful guys who showed great relationship with congressman/senator, we need them included in the core group.
4. The core group should not isolate themselves from other members. The responsiblity of core group should be to organize thoughts, to initiate letters/presentation, to meet with congressman, and coordinate with other sibling organization.
5. We need draft letters to medias as soon as possible.
6. We need ask for help from congressman such as Spector to initiate another bill.
7. We know all the work is not easy. But we have to lobby before Feb. 2006.

Again, your work is awesome, please keep the momentum and join the group.

Hello Noretro,

Thank You for the volunteering .... I agree with you 100%. Based on your suggestion I am preparing to send email to the other core members. Please feel free to send information to any member you think should be told about effort for the next bill.

I really appreciate your encouragement .... in bad times like today ..... everybody really need it. But in Feb2006 we will do it .... together.

Thanks again,
WaldenPond

nozdam said:

Do u think that Senate has authority to include immigration section 8001 in the final bill or it is impossible ??

Senate;

Update from Immigration-law.com

12/19/2005: Senate Agreed to the Conference Report by Large Majority

Ms.elegance said:
Do u think that Senate has authority to include immigration section 8001 in the final bill or it is impossible ??

Achilles v Odysseus

In Greek mythology, there were two types of heroes.

Achilles was brave and strong but was full of pride. He was defeated and perished in the end.

On the other hand, there was Odysseus who was as strong and as brave as Achilles. But then, he did not allow pride to govern. Instead he was practical. He lived a long life and succeeded.

On the very first day the retrogression hit our community, I have stated in this forum that the only chance we have to eliminate retrogression is to push for a comprehensive immigration reform bill, that is the Kennedy-McCain bill. This bill provides the most number of employment-based visas.

There are four (4) simple reasons behind this:

1) Legal immigrants don't have any influence. This was clearly and convincingly demonstrated by Congress' exclusion of S 8001 in the budget bill.

2) Illegal immigrants have more influence than us because their types of work are not the ones Americans want. Most Americans do not want to work as hotel workers, caregivers (to both children and the elderly) and farmers. Nonetheless, these are jobs which need to be done and which can not be outsourced. This is why Congress will be devising a guest worker program.

3) Congress will not address immigration issues on a piecemeal basis. Congress will not debate and pass one bill for legal immigrants and debate and pass one bill for illegal immigrants. With limited time, Congress will rather address all major issues concering immigration in one bill.

4) The US citizen counterparts of legal immigrants who can vote are not part of a strong and vocal voting block. On the other hand, the US citizen counterparts of illegal immigrants comprise a formidable voting block.

In light of these reasons, by ourselves we can not do it. The only chance we have at this point is to ride the coattails of illegal immigrants.

We must push for comprehensive immigration reform bill. The Kennedy-McCain bill is the only permanent and immediate solution to retrogression.

Write/fax/e-mail/call Senators, Congressmen, local and national media, and advocacy groups about passing the Kennedy-McCain bill.

Below is the provision under Kennedy-McCain which provides for more employment-based visas.

---------------------------------

Title VI of Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act of 2005 (popularly known as Kennedy-McCain bill) provides for the re-capture of visas. See below.

The employment-based visas will go as high as 290,000 per year from 140,000 per year. That is a whopping 150,000 increase!

Kennedy-McCain in its entirety is the only hope for us affected by the retrogression.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Title VI: Family Unity and Backlog Reduction

The employment-based categories are revised to provide additional visas for employers who need to hire permanent workers, and the annual cap is raised from 140,000 to 290,000
Immigrant visas lost due to processing delays are recaptured for future allotments

Please come here to help

guys, if any of you want to provide some help or do something, please come here

http://www.nripost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Take a group and let's start to work on it.

Since isnamerica.org already have this set up, here, let's start to work first,
I have no objection for another name / association, but here we can do something first.
pick a group or put your suggestions under some group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest from Oh .........

immigration-law.com

12/19/2005: Visa Retrogression and Q&A to Retart

* We will restard the Q&A session which has been held off due to the S. 1932 monitoring. People may send questions again without seeking a legal advice on the individual specific question.

12/19/2005: Still Trembling from the S. 1932 Shock Wave

* This reporter is still struggling to wake up from the bad dream that he had gone through. He keeps wondering why the big guys including fortune 500 businesses and large educational institutions more or less slipped away from the push after the passage of this bill in the Senate. In fact, there was a sign of switching gear from recapture issue to the comprehensive immigration reform and more or less accepted the idea that the visa numbers for legal immigration would be better off being a part of the comprehensive immigration reform process. They may realize by now probably it was one of their big mistakes. By next February or thereafter, they will realize that their turn of the strategy was misguided by the anti-immigration forces. "Divide and Conquer" and "Delay and Kill" strategies of these forces perfectedly worked.
* It is a sad day but the process should never cease. After all, it is a part of the political "process" which should not end at a given time spot. We will wake up and continue the march afresh and more forcefully.

jamiw75 said:

guys, if any of you want to provide some help or do something, please come here

http://www.nripost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Take a group and let's start to work on it.

Since isnamerica.org already have this set up, here, let's start to work first,
I have no objection for another name / association, but here we can do something first.
pick a group or put your suggestions under some group.
To Forum Members,
The next time we send faxes to congress, senators etc this should be the main selling point. "Most of the people on H1B's and waiting for Green Cards are highly skilled ..if they are unable to settle here legally then most likely they will go back to their respective countries with a high probability that the job will follow them too ...and if this happens then this will affect taxes and more jobs in US too ( less people to buy electronics,cars , car insurance, groceries etc ...)

If you want to do something...

Please take 2 minutes & sign up here. http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1320216#post1320216

I see 150 sign-ups (not bad since this has only been open for a day). But I thought the sign-up will be in the 1000's. And once we have these sign-ups..we can get together as a group (FROM THIS FORUM) and see how to interface with other groups.

On this forum, I've seen a lot of very intelligent thinking, dedication, and sincerity. I want to consolidate all the members of this forum first.

Please sign up at http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1320216#post1320216

WaldenPond: Please read your personal message and reply s.v.p.

WaldenPond said:
All Members,

This is highly motivated group. Lot of members on this forum has this burning desire to achieve something good. This thread initiated by 'sunjoshi' has been great portal to connected individuals affected by retrogression.

And if anything written here is offensive to anybody, I sincerely apologize because the intent of this is not to offend anybody.
This is just the beginning.... Please participate.

WaldenPond

Game is still on?

www.senate.gov

Floor Schedule

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005

9:45 a.m.: Convene and resume consideration of the conference report to accompany S. 1932, the Omnibus Deficit Reduction bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
StillAlive said:
www.senate.gov

Floor Schedule

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005

9:45 a.m.: Convene and resume consideration of the conference report to accompany S. 1932, the Omnibus Deficit Reduction bill.

WOW!!!! so there is still hope?.

Do you know if they are going to discuss on Sec.8001 or it is all over for us?

I see this on immigration-law.com

Oh messages are sometimes to gather support ......

Oh messages are sometimes to gather support, can we talk to the Senators to get an idea whats on mind when the bill comes to the floor, is Section 8001 even being discussed or no .....

How can we believe all these website reports, when they can change their posting in every 5 minites

I don't know about 8001 will be taken, but as per this link, yesterday they only agreed to "Motion to Proceed to Conference Report to Accompany S. 1932; Medicaid Reconciliation Act of 2005" by
Vote Counts: YEAs 86
NAYs 9
Not Voting 5
Is this what they called vast majority?

http://senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/vote_menu_109_1.htm