S. 1932 Status

May win or lose,but fight we will

Hey Guys,

This is the first time Iam writing on this forum. Iam inspired by the wave of activities that took place in last couple of weeks on this post. If the said "core group" shows us the direction(on comp. Imm. reforms.bill), I think we can follow it!

StillAlive said:
www.senate.gov

Floor Schedule

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005

9:45 a.m.: Convene and resume consideration of the conference report to accompany S. 1932, the Omnibus Deficit Reduction bill.

StillAlive,

Is it possible for you find out if sec 8001 is being discussed today?
Your username should be StillHope instead ;) :) :D

rayyan said:
StillAlive,

Is it possible for you find out if sec 8001 is being discussed today?
Your username should be StillHope instead ;) :) :D

Thanks Rayyan :), I think you should use your creativity in finding info about 8001. :D

If this bill is passed, I live in Miami,FL great place for tourist. All conferees (Just with Yeas) stay 3 days two night free... with free continental breakfast. ;)

StillAlive said:
Thanks Rayyan :), I think you should use your creativity in finding info about 8001. :D

Thanks, I would have but my problem is my accent and English :D . My manager has always hard time understanding me

Is anybody able to explain how something voted and passed in the Senate can just vanish in the air, just like that, please?
Thanks a lot!

from what i remember.....a bill is voted by the house.....and the senate seperately....then they are reconciled....and maybe voted again.....and then it goes to president...

our stuff vanished in the reconciliation process...

Call Arlen Specter/John Cornyn

Could somebody from the Philly/Dallas area call or have a meeting with Arlen Specter/John Cornyn or their respective offices to find out what actually happened....These two senators supported the bill and are pro-immigration.

In addtion, we need them help for initiating another similar bill during Feb. 2006.

RAYDHAN said:
Could somebody from the Philly/Dallas area call or have a meeting with Arlen Specter/John Cornyn or their respective offices to find out what actually happened....These two senators supported the bill and are pro-immigration.

Please! lets us all come out of this as soon as possible and move on.

Happiness is the key to success : research
Asian News International
Washington, December 20, 2005

'Success is the key to happiness' is a commonly believed notion; but if a new research is to be believed, it is happiness that makes people successful, and not vice-versa.
In the study, published in American Psychological Association's Psychological Bulletin, the researchers state that happy individuals are predisposed to seek out and undertake new goals in life, and this reinforces positive emotions.
Dr. Sonja Lyubomirsky of the University of California and colleagues examined the connections between desirable characteristics, life successes and well-being of over 275,000 people, and found that chronically happy people are in general more successful across many life domains than less happy people.
"Happy people are more likely to achieve favorable life circumstances, and this may be because happy people frequently experience positive moods and these positive moods prompt them to be more likely to work actively toward new goals and build new resources. When people feel happy, they tend to feel confident, optimistic, and energetic and others find them likable and sociable," said said Dr. Lyubomirsky.
The researchers examined studies involving three different types of evidence - cross-sectional, longitudinal and experimental designs - to determine how happiness and positive affect are related to culturally-valued success.
They chose to use these different types of evidence to bolster their confidence in establishing cause-and-effect relationships among happiness, positive affect, and success. Cross-sectional studies compare different groups of people and answer questions like, "Are happy people more successful than unhappy people?" and "Does long-term happiness and short term positive affect co-occur with desirable behaviors?"
Longitudinal studies examine groups of people over a period of time and address questions like, "Does happiness precede success?" and "Does positive affect pave the way for success-like behaviors?" Finally, experimental studies manipulate variables to test whether an outcome will occur under controlled conditions and answer questions like, "Does positive affect lead to success-oriented behaviors?"
The results of all three types of studies suggests that happiness does lead to behaviors that often produce further success in work, relationships and health, and these successes result in part from a person's positive affect.
Furthermore, evidence from the cross-sectional studies confirm that a person's well-being is associated with positive perceptions of self and others, sociability, creativity, prosocial behavior, a strong immune system, and effective coping skills. The authors also note that happy people are capable of experiencing sadness and negative emotions in response to negative events, which is a healthy and appropriate response.
Much of the previous research on happiness presupposed that happiness followed from success and accomplishments in life. But the new study found that this isn't always true. Positive affect is one attribute among several that can lead to success-oriented behaviors. Other resources, such as intelligence, family, expertise and physical fitness, can also play a role in people's successes.
"Our review provides strong support that happiness, in many cases, leads to successful outcomes, rather than merely following from them, and happy individuals are more likely than their less happy peers to have fulfilling marriages and relationships, high incomes, superior work performance, community involvement, robust health and even a long life," said Lyubomirsky

All,

To start with our campaign, can we contact NPR and tell us our problem.

We nned to have something on the media in regular intervals so more people like us will be aware of this problem.

If we are able to present the chart Sunil had provided , that woulr be great.

gc_vsc

Contacting media about the plight of legal immigration

I have seen a few posts regarding contacting\educating the media about the plight of the legal immigrants because of retrogression. In addition to sending emails to all regular print and electronic media we should target certain high profile journalists like the ones mentioned below

Howard Fineman-Newsweek
Joe Klein-Time Magazine
Andrea Mitchell -NBC News
David Brooks -- New York Times
Thomas L. Friedman - New York Times

I listed these four journalists because they are well known and well respected journalists and are in one or other well known TV news show every week. These TV news shows have viewer ship in millions and what these journalists say resounds in Washington. I think all the above mentioned journalists will be sympathetic to the plight of legal immigrants. We should target these high profile journalists.

When we make our case lets try to highlight issues like
1. how we cannot file for 485 because of retrogression in spite of being certified by the labor department and how this will not entail us to get the benefits of AC21 like get a new job if laid off etc.
2. Lack of EB visa numbers and the country limits.

Since the above mentioned journalists are very high profile just sending an email or fax might not work since they might be getting hundreds of emails or fax every day. We should try to reach them personally. Even if one of these journalists takes up this issue it will send a forceful message about retrogression and legal immigration.

Please try the following link,

http://www.nripost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

They provide a platform

pitha said:
I have seen a few posts regarding contacting\educating the media about the plight of the legal immigrants because of retrogression. In addition to sending emails to all regular print and electronic media we should target certain high profile journalists like the ones mentioned below

Howard Fineman-Newsweek
Joe Klein-Time Magazine
Andrea Mitchell -NBC News
David Brooks -- New York Times
Thomas L. Friedman - New York Times

I listed these four journalists because they are well known and well respected journalists and are in one or other well known TV news show every week. These TV news shows have viewer ship in millions and what these journalists say resounds in Washington. I think all the above mentioned journalists will be sympathetic to the plight of legal immigrants. We should target these high profile journalists.

When we make our case lets try to highlight issues like
1. how we cannot file for 485 because of retrogression in spite of being certified by the labor department and how this will not entail us to get the benefits of AC21 like get a new job if laid off etc.
2. Lack of EB visa numbers and the country limits.

Since the above mentioned journalists are very high profile just sending an email or fax might not work since they might be getting hundreds of emails or fax every day. We should try to reach them personally. Even if one of these journalists takes up this issue it will send a forceful message about retrogression and legal immigration.