S. 1932 Status

can you please update when ever you heard

I think you made a very good effort to track this bill. Can you please update this forum as soon as you hear something. I'm also watching live C-Span and will update realtime when ever something i hear regarding S1932

WaldenPond said:
Reading the last post from spgtopper I called Senator Kent Conrad's office to thank for his support and and comments on CNBC about drawbacks on HR4241. Also mentioned that I like the Senator and follow him very closely and appreciate all that he does as I truely believe Senator Conrad is a good man.

I also asked the gentleman on the phone for the current status of the conference. The staff of most other Senators tell that it is being discussed behind closed doors and there sure are some members of the House that they are talking too. The gentleman in Senator Conrad's office noted down my name and address and mentioned that he would ask the Senator about the latest and get back to me on this. Will keep everybody posted when I here anything.

Guys on this forum are AWESOME.

BTW, when calling or sending faxes just know that we are supporting prvovision in 8000/8001 in S. 1932. ES (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by Senate) and NOT the provision 8000/8001 in S.1932.EAH (Engrossed Amendment as Agreed to by House)

I have expereinced that simply saying or writing in fax S.1932 confuses the other person. Just a thought.

Peace.

Guys,

Since the New York Times broke the news today that prez Bush illegally wiretapped some people violating the patriot act, democrats are using this as an opprtunity to stall the reauthorization.

If this keeps on (which looks like it will), there may be no time left at all to bring up Budget reconciliation. There is still 2006 Defense spending bill ahead of ours.

Good job NYT!!Nice timing

sunjoshi said:
Guys,

Since the New York Times broke the news today that prez Bush illegally wiretapped some people violating the patriot act, democrats are using this as an opprtunity to stall the reauthorization.

If this keeps on (which looks like it will), there may be no time left at all to bring up Budget reconciliation. There is still 2006 Defense spending bill ahead of ours.

Good job NYT!!Nice timing

But look at it this way Sunjoshi. The Bush Administration has lost the torture ban fight. Now they have lost the Patriot Act reauthorization. The Defense Bill seems to be also headed to debate with the controversial ANWR having moved from Budget Bill to Defense Bill. Considering all this, maybe the Republican Leadership would go after atleast one feather on their cap - Successfully passing the Deficit Reduction Act!!!

good job !!!

sorry to be late here. my PC crashed but now everything is ok.

i have completed calling all specified senators.

now i will catch up with the latest ........

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP CALLING... OVER THE WEEK-END TOO !!!!

:)

Senate appointed conferees for S.1932.

S.1932
Title: An original bill to provide for reconciliation pursuant to section 202(a) of the concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2006 (H. Con. Res. 95).

Sponsor: Sen Gregg, Judd [NH] (introduced 10/27/2005) Cosponsors (None)

Related Bills: H.R.4241

Latest Major Action: 12/15/2005 Resolving differences / Conference -- Senate actions. Status: Senate appointed conferees. Gregg; Domenici; Grassley; Enzi; Allard; Sessions; Stevens; Shelby; Specter; Chambliss; McConnell; Conrad; Murray; Harkin; Sarbanes; Inouye; Bingaman; Baucus; Kennedy; Leahy.

---------------------------------------------------------

This is from Congress (THOMAS) site.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:s.01932:

You could also find same news on www.immigration-law.com

Guys, please contact these conferees as soon as possible.

TIME IS RUNNING OUT................. :eek:

I agree catch_22_4_GC. I see a more chance of this happening.

Also, are you sure that ANWR is pushed to the Defense Bill? Didn't see that as a big news - just wondering.

On 14th Dec WSJ ran a story (front page I think - don't remember) about the negative effect of global warming on the Artic reserves and on the Polar bear species as a whole. One of the drilling sites is near a Polar bear habitat! 3 top environmental organisations were planning a lawsuit against the Bush admin. as early as yesterday (for lack of concern or ignorance I think!:)). I am not sure of the link, who knows, but the day after an impasse on this issue, ANWR was moved to the defense bill!

catch_22_4_GC said:
But look at it this way Sunjoshi. The Bush Administration has lost the torture ban fight. Now they have lost the Patriot Act reauthorization. The Defense Bill seems to be also headed to debate with the controversial ANWR having moved from Budget Bill to Defense Bill. Considering all this, maybe the Republican Leadership would go after atleast one feather on their cap - Successfully passing the Deficit Reduction Act!!!

I have called many offices of the committee members, I will be calling rest now. I am not able to work at my office since yesterday. I have simultaneously faxed to all the committee members. Let's keep up the good work guys!!!!
I think we can make it as a team. I personally want to thank each member on this thread for their team effort.

spgtopper,

Yes, I have read in one the Congressional news briefs (can't find the link) that the ANWR language has been moved to the must-pass Defense Appropriations Bill. The downside is Ted Stevens(R), the Senator from Alaska, who is the key proponent of this ANWR stuff has threatened not to vote for conference Report of Deficit Reduction Act until the Defense Bill atleast reaches a 'Cloture' state (meaning no more debates).

Check this press release:
http://www.commondreams.org/news2005/1216-11.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Last one hour Updates...

Last one hour update from : http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.html

2:41 P.M. -
On motion to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution, as amended Roll Call 649 - 2/3 Yea and Nay vote pending.

2:40 P.M. -
Considered as unfinished business.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS - The Chair announced that the unfinished business was the question adoption question of adoption of motions to suspend the rules and agree to H. Res. 409, as amended, H. Res. 575, as amended, and H. Res. 534 which had been debated on Wednesday, December 14, 2005, and on which further proceedings had been postponed.

H. Res. 612:
expressing the commitment of the House of Representatives to achieving victory in Iraq

Motion to reconsider laid on the table Agreed to without objection.
On agreeing to the resolution Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (Roll No. 648).

2:14 P.M. -
The previous question was ordered without objection.

1:13 P.M. -
DEBATE - The House resumed debate on H. Res. 612.

1:12 P.M. -
The House received a message from the Senate. The Senate passed H.R. 4440 with an amendment.

1:01 P.M. -
Ms. Ros-Lehtinen filed a report from the Committee on International Relations on H. Res. 549.

H. Res. 612:
expressing the commitment of the House of Representatives to achieving victory in Iraq

12:52 P.M. -
DEBATE - The House proceeded with one hour of debate on H. Res. 612.
Rule provides for consideration of H. Res. 612 with 1 hour of general debate. Previous question shall be considered as ordered without intervening motions except motion to recommit. Measure will be considered read. Bill is closed to amendments. Sec. 2. On the first legislative day of the second session of the One Hundred Ninth Congress, the House shall not conduct organizational or legislative business

Considered under the provisions of rule H. Res. 619.

H.R. 1815:
to authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2006 for military activities of the Department of Defense, to prescribe military personnel strengths for fiscal year 2006, and for other purposes

Hi Guys,how are you all....

I was away all day today, Have called and faxed many offices of the committee members. . I changed my names,phone numbers , zip codes to call them.
Now they are not even asking for zipcodes and etc

So what is going on with the bill? Can somebody update me please.

When can we hear the final result. ?

Thnaks once again guys for all you efforts. This is a AWESOME team!!!!!!!!

just say this !!!!

when you call .....just say few lines .....

“I am calling to request senator to vote for section 8001 of the Senate Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act when this comes up for consideration in the conference committee.”

I called for NY,CT senators, and Arlene Specter.
When I called for charles grassley for IOWA, they started asking my complete mailing address.
Some how I bluffed and got away from the crisis

The House Members for the Conference Committee will be the Chairman and the Ranking Memebers of all the Comittees in the Rep. House. This is typically the norm and is followed unless there is an exception for all Conference Committees. So it might be a good idea to start communicating (email, phone, fax etc) to these members. A good point to start would atleast be the Chairman (Rep. Sensenbrenner) and Ranking Member (Rep. Conyers Jr.) for the judiciary committee in the house.

Now the house is discussing Katrina tax relief.

Immigration bill has been moved to later today. I notice there are crack in the republicans about the current house bill already. My congressman Fred Upton of Mich. (with whom I exchanged some e mails recently) though a member of the so called "immigration caucus" (or more aptly called tancredo's anti immigration caucus) was voicing concerns about the anti guest worker provisions of this bill. Even Congressman Hayworth (well known anti- immigrant) put an ammendment to cut 4th category family immigrants and give it to legals. Clearly our lobby is working and the logic is resonating!

Anyway the house bill will not be favourable to us in this current immigration bill.

Conference committee for the budget bill is the best bet. I feel strongly after looking at the names of the senate conferees that they will not let this thing go so easily. If we push hard enough they should be able to atleast push the visa recapture and 485 filing provisions through, the H1b visa thing likely has more opposition, since that brings on board new immigrants.
I am not sure why Matthew-Oh threw in the white towel so soon. After all, even if a motion to instruct conferees for this provision was not passed, clearly the Byrd ammendment was soundly thrashed. Above all look at who the conferees are.
It is unfortunate that the business lobby/AILA has shifted their attention to the house debate at this critical juncture, just gives an idea of why this whole immigration thing is such a mess in this country. We are legal and americans by and large know and like hardworking, law abiding LEGAL immigrants, a push from them now would have seen it through for sure.
Anyway this is not over by a long shot guys. Keep pushing, I feel optimistic that we can pop champaign corks next week.

Last hour updates...

3:26 P.M. -
DEBATE - Pursuant to the provisions of H. Res. 621, the Committee of the Whole proceeded with 10 minutes of debate on the Filner amendment.
Amendment offered by Mr. Filner.

An amendment numbered 2 printed in House Report 109-350 to make technical changes to the current statue governing the distribution of fraudulent documents.

3:25 P.M. -
POSTPONED PROCEEDINGS - At the conclusion of debate on the Goodlatte amendment the Chair put the question on agreeing to the amendment and by voice vote announced that the ayes had prevailed. Mr. Sensenbrenner demanded a recorded vote and made a point of order that a quorum was not present. The Chair postponed further proceedings until later in the legislative day and the point of no quorum was considered as withdrawn.

3:12 P.M. -
DEBATE - Pursuant to the provisions of H. Res. 621, the Committee of the Whole proceeded with 10 minutes of debate on the Goodlatte amendment.

3:11 P.M. -
Amendment offered by Mr. Goodlatte.
An amendment numbered 1 printed in House Report 109-350 to eliminate the visa lottery program.

3:10 P.M. -
The House resolved into Committee of the Whole House on the state of the Union for further consideration.

H.R. 4440:
to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax benefits for the Gulf Opportunity Zone and certain areas affected by Hurricanes Rita and Wilma, and for other purposes

3:09 P.M. -
On motion that the House agree to the Senate amendment Agreed to without objection.

3:07 P.M. -
Mr. McCrery moved that the House agree to the Senate amendment.

H. Res. 534:
recognizing the importance and credibility of an independent Iraqi judiciary in the formation of a new and democratic Iraq

3:04 P.M. -
The title of the measure was amended. Agreed to without objection.

On motion to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 408 - 1 (Roll no. 651).

2:56 P.M. -

H. Res. 575:
providing that Hamas and other terrorist organizations should not participate in elections held by the Palestinian Authority, and for other purposes

The title of the measure was amended. Agreed to without objection.

On motion to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 397 - 17, 7 Present (Roll no. 650).

Those of you have not called yet, please call. It is very very important. Just sending faxes WILL not help.

Pick up the phone and keep calling.

I will call again tonight, over the week end too.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO CALL.

KEEP THE BALL ROLLING AND WE SHALL WIN !!!!

Guys i can literally FEEL this forum coming alive. Pats on everyone's backs for the jobs done. For my part i called each and every one of the Senators. Now the rest is literally upto God. Great Energy shown by this forum.