S. 1932 Status

Yes, believe me, it makes sense.

But if we write the following 2 things, tell me how they rank in terms of priority. what value would you ascribe to each?

Given: We have made several calls to specter's office.

A. Now go and meet specter. (Do we know if Specter will be one of the conferrees?)

B. Call other senators/cong. and let me know that immigrant community is concerned about some thing. So, when alan specter discusses this issue, they will promptly agree!

I give more points to B.

But, hey whatever you all say. I don't mind meeting him. I should get an appt. in time that is all. If someone already has an appointment - that might be faster..

stucklabor said:
Spgtopper, we DO NOT NEED TO CONVINCE Specter on his own to support Sec 8001.

But he now has to convince other Senators to retain Sec 8001 and pass it though the conference process. So we have to convince him that there are a lot of people that are looking to him to push these provisions through. Does that make sense?

GCin-waitng said:
Reply from Senator Arlen Specter's office:

Thank you for forwarding me the messages you received. Really, all that can be done at this point is to wait and see how the conference turns out. These messages may make it appear that the immigration package is “dead,” but that is not necessarily the case. Even if a motion to instruct the conferees had been passed, it would not be binding. It is because these are not binding that so many of them are passed with such high yay votes.

Senator Specter will do what he can to ensure that the immigration provisions remain intact, but there is only so much he can do. We will all just have to continue watching to see how it unfolds. Sorry I can’t be more help, but the Senator understands your views.

It is a relief to hear that. It appears that immig-law goofed and their prediction is pre-mature.

nozdam said:
I have mixed feelings abt Sen Specter. I thought the exact same thing, i mean after all he is the "father" of this bill so he doesnt need convincing i guess. Then again a voice kinda tells me, why not re-enforce the father's beliefs so he knows that we VERY much still need that relief. I think if someone actually HAS an appointment to meet Sen Specter, pls Go RIGHT ahead. Hey even a father needs to know from time to time that his Kids NEED him ;)

Why should we talk to him since he already knows our issues? Because we need SOMEONE (big/strong/forceful) to bring up the section 9that he supports) to be part of the final bill (if it already isn't).

We are basically looking up to him to be out rep (if you will).

Email to congressman from NJ

Guys,

I want to thank very much those of you who believe and fight for this bill. United we stand. I believe that when a lot of people want something to happen it will happen.
I wrote an email to congressman Steve Rothman from NJ and I mentioned in my email about the main reason of the retrogression. I think that the main reason for this stupid situation is the inconsistancy in interactions between DOL and USCIS. Before the PERM was introduced people from NY, NJ and CA were waiting 3-4 years for the labor certificate but after that could almost immediately to file I-485 and get at least the right to breath for their spouses (EAD). PERM is a great achievement of the US goverment but the nothing has been done to solve the employment based immigration in full. The bottle neck just moved from DOL to USCIS.
Please let me know what you think about that. May be you can mention this issue to the senators/congressmen when you are contacting them.
Keep supporting a fighting atmosphere on this forum. This is really what many of us need at this time. Hopefully we will get a great gift for the New Year holiday.

Contacted the Congressman, CT

Hi,
A silent reader of this forum. I know that the congressmen can not do much right now. But I visited the Connecticut Congressman Christapher Shays office now. They agreed to fax my message to the Congressman today itself as I mentioned them its urgency.

I came back to office and convinced my fellow worker and he also did the same.

Thanks for the good work guys. Keep up the spirit. Looks like we are a good team now.

How do we trust you?

GCin-waitng said:
Reply from Senator Arlen Specter's office:

Thank you for forwarding me the messages you received. Really, all that can be done at this point is to wait and see how the conference turns out. These messages may make it appear that the immigration package is “dead,” but that is not necessarily the case. Even if a motion to instruct the conferees had been passed, it would not be binding. It is because these are not binding that so many of them are passed with such high yay votes.

Senator Specter will do what he can to ensure that the immigration provisions remain intact, but there is only so much he can do. We will all just have to continue watching to see how it unfolds. Sorry I can’t be more help, but the Senator understands your views.

indio0617 said:
It is a relief to hear that. It appears that immig-law goofed and their prediction is pre-mature.

I strongly feel that this was a trick played by immig-law to get more of us involved to do somthing more actively(or pro actively rather).Frankly, there has not been much efforts from our side compared to the efforts that we put in when the senate passed the bill back in nov.In a way, this posting on immig-law has woken us up to put in everything we have got and not take things too easily.This is just my feeling.

Those who think that the s1932 is dead are dead wrong. You morons think twice before you post anything on this board. People who are working here, at least for God's sake let them work for this common cause.

Just called Sen Specter and Sen Santorum's Philadelphia offices, one gave me the voice mail for the immigration assistance and the other asked me to call DC.

Will try and call their DC offices today

Talking to Senator Spector is important because he is the only one who can bring the things back on track. He has influence in the Senate and House. Don't forget he is the one who had made excellent presentation in the senate against the Senator Byrd amendment.

Off couse we will have to keep in touch with other senators and House of Representatives who are expected in the conference committee.

hello to all

I am a faithful viewer of this thread from post 1 to now. I come here everyday and keep slient watching. I did my part, emailed, called and faxed CA lawmaker.

Plus, I forward every piece of useful information from this thread to Chinese hottest immigration forum: www.wenxuecity.com.

I push people there to contact their lawmakers to support 8001. They are not active as your guys but I will keep trying.

Support all of you and appreciate everything you have done. Always.

I think people on the east coast should spend the evening calling the reps on the west coast! :) We can use the 3 hrs time difference to our advantage.

hadenuf said:
I strongly feel that this was a trick played by immig-law to get more of us involved to do somthing more actively(or pro actively rather).Frankly, there has not been much efforts from our side compared to the efforts that we put in when the senate passed the bill back in nov.In a way, this posting on immig-law has woken us up to put in everything we have got and not take things too easily.This is just my feeling.
I disagree with you. Reason is that few of the HR'S have publicly said that they would oppose the final bill if it has the immigration clauses. Also I am not sure whether you know or not but few days back the fax was sent by the numbersusa's President asking all their supporters to stop sending the letters to the Senators and House of Representatives telling them that their letters have convince the people at Washington and have agreed on not to include the immigration provisions in the final version of the bill.

Contacted 2 congressmen from NJ

Their Office folks were very receptive to my calls and did say that their congressmen would do all to support the immigration amendments. So it does look like calling is a lot more effective than just faxing. So I urge everyone to call your congressmen/senators.

Well,

weather or not immig-law said the right things or not, I am not stopping until we acheive what we started for. if not this bill, then next.

I Just called Sen. Chambliss's office and spoke for 15 mins. The guy incharge of budget bills specifically told me that there is NO way to know what is included/excluded until the conference report is presented. Since it isn't presented yet, I am assuming everyone else is just talking from their rears.

Anyway, he promised to bring this up, and I also mentioned the presentation to him and emailed it to his personal id while on the phone.

Hope for the best.

Received mail from Congressman,CT

Guys,

I had sent fax to ( all Rep and Sen ) Congressman Christopher Shays CT last month when the Senate passes the S.1932. The abstract of his reply with 2 pages of MAIL (not email) is that he will support once this provision is available in his floor. He understands the need for immigration community. If he is in the conference committe and the packet included on that report, that will be great.

I contacted his office last week again and conveyed the needful of relief on EB retro issues. Office attendent told me that he will pass-on the message to Congressman.

PS: but he was mostly talking about the H1 related in his mail reply. Anyway, he is not againt the immigration community.

kalimmigration said:
so what are you trying to say pdakwala
What I mean to say is that if our efforts are not strong we will miss the train. The news that "senate immigration package is practically dead" is not important. Important is our efforts.

In order to get things back track and in our favor, we need to keeping calling not only Arlen's office but also our Senators and House of Representatives so that they take us very seriously.