S. 1932 Status

Immigrants Fueling Job Growth in U.S. Inner Cities, Study Finds

Sunjoshi here is an interesting article which says " Immigrants Fueling Job Growth in U.S. Inner Cities, Study Finds ", by The Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC) , a national not-for-profit organization founded in 1994 by Harvard Business School professor Michael E. Porter.

I do not remember where i read this article but when i searched on Google, i found it at the following links

www.icic.org/

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20051115005685&newsLang=en

http://www.hr-topics.com/wire-usa/inner-city-jobs.htm

Sunjoshi ...

I have modified the ppt little. Please go through, if it is ok, adopt in the final one.

There was a small mistake in the original ppt. The section numbers should be 8001 and 8002 for S1932. I have removed the "I-140"and "I-485" words and insearted the actual wordings, as congressmen may not know the what is the form numbers.

Here is more

njrir said:
Sunjoshi here is an interesting article which says " Immigrants Fueling Job Growth in U.S. Inner Cities, Study Finds ", by The Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC) , a national not-for-profit organization founded in 1994 by Harvard Business School professor Michael E. Porter.

I do not remember where i read this article but when i searched on Google, i found it at the following links

www.icic.org/

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20051115005685&newsLang=en

http://www.hr-topics.com/wire-usa/inner-city-jobs.htm

There was a reference to it in USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2005-11-15-inner-cities-usat_x.htm?csp=26

An important statement it makes is
"Immigrants and rundown urban neighborhoods are seen by some as a drain on the U.S. economy.
But in his study, Porter found that the 5.5 million immigrants who live in inner cities are key catalysts to economic growth and urban investment. "

According to ICIC study :
"The study, presented at the Inner City Economic Forum's Third Annual Summit today in Chicago, found that inner cities with the greatest job growth count immigrants as nearly one-third of their population. In inner cities losing jobs, immigrants comprise just 12 percent. "

These articles point that immigration does not result in unemployment as thought by many people, but on contrary increases employment & economic growth.
If you feel it helps you can include them in ppt.

Letter from Senator John Cornyn

Received a letter from Senator John Cornyn (TX).

Here it goes:

Thank you for contacting me about delays in securing immigration visas. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

It has come to my attention that once USCIS approves a petition, many individuals must wait lengthy periods of time because of visa shortages. I recently voted to support a measure that would capture unused visas from prior years - a move which would reduce the overall waiting period for visas. I will also continue to advocate for additional opportunities for legal immigration. Our immigration laws must not favor illegal immigration, but must instead reward those who comply with the rule of law.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texans in the US Senate. Thanks for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

John Cornyn.

He is clearly on our side and is sure to vote for it. Is he on the Conference committee?

njrir said:
There was a reference to it in USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2005-11-15-inner-cities-usat_x.htm?csp=26

An important statement it makes is
"Immigrants and rundown urban neighborhoods are seen by some as a drain on the U.S. economy.
But in his study, Porter found that the 5.5 million immigrants who live in inner cities are key catalysts to economic growth and urban investment. "

According to ICIC study :
"The study, presented at the Inner City Economic Forum's Third Annual Summit today in Chicago, found that inner cities with the greatest job growth count immigrants as nearly one-third of their population. In inner cities losing jobs, immigrants comprise just 12 percent. "

These articles point that immigration does not result in unemployment as thought by many people, but on contrary increases employment & economic growth.
If you feel it helps you can include them in ppt.
This article is very interesting. Not only the writer "Michael Porter" is the well known managment Guru but also many in Washington and specially Bush administration respect Porter for his knowledge and contribution to the education and US businesses.

Majority of the colleges who are teaching MBA are using books written by Porter. SUNJOSHI please include this article in the powerpoint. By the way we need to keep the copy of all the article and news printed anywhere in the PDF file so that even if the link is no more working we have those in some format and can produce it to the senators and house of representative when we needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply from Senator Paul (D-MD)

Here is the reply from Senator Paul Sarbanes (democrate- MD):

Dear xxxxx

Thanks for contacting me with regard to Visa and immigration restogration issues. I appreciate the benefit of your views on this important matter.

On October 20, the senet judicial committee approved a bill that include the recapture of 90,000 employment based visas that had not been issued in prior years, when the statutory ceiling of 140,000 had not been met. This bill than included in the budget reconcialition legislation, which passed the senate on November 3, 2005. Once the House of Representatives consider its version of this legislation a conference committee will likely to appointed to resolve the differences between the two version of this legislation. You may be assured that I will keep your views in mind when the final version of this legislation comees before the full Senate for consideration.

Paul Sarbanes
US Senator

Please every one contact Senator/House rep. of own area and persuade them for real retrogration issue

That is good news from a democrat senator. We also need to make a list of who are supporting the bill so far, that can probably be used to persuade others to vote in favor. Do you guys think its a good strategy?

And thanks for some of the new URLs and updates to the ppt, I have incorportated most of the changes. I'll check back later this evening for any more updates, and then send it out first thing in the morning.

One more thing I learnt from meeting lawmakers is that senators hold more flexibility and scope for federal legislations since their term is 6 years. Whereas congressmen have 2 year terms, so they have limited agenda. Not that we shouldn't try, but keeping more senators involved will be to our advantage on the long run, whatever happens with HR4241.

Sunjoshi

Sunjoshi,

How did u manage to arrange an interview with ur COngressman? Maybe we can all try the same?

Also what questions did he ask u and how did u answer them (if u remember them) :)

Wonderful job

nozdam

Like many us here, I've been regularly calling/emailing/faxing my senators and congressmen. During my conversations, I've often asked when the congressman would have "town hall" meetings. So they took down my contact info. Usually in town hall meetings, the congressman will speak for some time apprising citizens of current issues and will "shake hands" with a few. There are also one-on-one personal meetings conducted like once a month or so, for specific attention. I did ask if the congressman has plans for that, and if they could accomodate me. That's how I got the invite. So I guess, from my experience, ASK the congressman's office the schedule for such meetings, they should have them in plenty now, since next year is an election year. (wink-wink).

Now for the questions:
1. I was asked to differentiate H1-B and EB. Luckily that was one of the slides in the ppt.

2. Can your spouse work? . I explained the plight of those that cannot file 485 and unable to obtain EAD.

3. Are you entitled to start you own business? Technically, it should be possible, but practically, w/o the much needed stability, most people will be unwilling to take on risks involved.

4. Why can't you buy homes? same answer as above

I was also given a suggestion that what I was doing was VERY valuable to educate other lawmakers, and must be continued..

Please let me know if any of you can get such meetings scheduled, I'll be more than happy to help you out with the preparation. I must add that putting on a business attire (suit/tie), with a slick laptop and a presentation DID make a difference. It kindof shows them who we are representing (no offense to illegal immigrants).

Hi sunjoshi,

Thank you for your tremendous efforts. I went thru' your ppt and have a few quick questions (I would like to use it at some point - if possible ofcourse).

1. You have cited 'career growth' as one of the issue related to GC? I am just wondering why they would care about that! Among other reasons, job mobility is important because employers are able to find the right candidate and because job markets maintain reasonable wage levels (lack of mobility would bring down pay scales etc. - in other words H1s would be forced to work on a job and at a salary they don't want to). Would you add this?

2. Why are we still talking about supporting Sec 8002 in S.1932???? Sec 8002 is only for L visa fee increase!

I thought it was agreed on this forum that we need to focus on Sec 8001 of the original senate bill S.1932. please see the follow link for diff. versions of S.1932
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.1932:
The retrogression issue (sec 8001) went only as far as S.1932.ES. It is excluded from S.1932.EAH!

3. I would add that section 8001 of S.1932.ES is essentially what we need (as mentioned in your recommendations slide). Another slide explaining benefits - both tangible (monetary) and intangible (several other benefits to US from legal immigration) might be useful.

4. There are so many links to interesting articles posted here. Another slide that includes quotes from the articles by highly respected authors might help?

let me know and i can help.

S.

spgtopper said:
Hi sunjoshi,

Thank you for your tremendous efforts. I went thru' your ppt and have a few quick questions (I would like to use it at some point - if possible ofcourse).

1. You have cited 'career growth' as one of the issue related to GC? I am just wondering why they would care about that!
Apparently they do!! This isn't slavery. During my meeting, I talked about my own situation wherein I cannot take up a position that was offered to me better suited for my qualifications/experience/$$ etc. "personal" experiences DOES matter. Atleast that's my opinion.
spgtopper said:
Among other reasons, job mobility is important because employers are able to find the right candidate and because job markets maintain reasonable wage levels (lack of mobility would bring down pay scales etc. - in other words H1s would be forced to work on a job and at a salary they don't want to). Would you add this?
Very valid point. we should talk about this too.
spgtopper said:
2. Why are we still talking about supporting Sec 8002 in S.1932???? Sec 8002 is only for L visa fee increase!

I thought it was agreed on this forum that we need to focus on Sec 8001 of the original senate bill S.1932. please see the follow link for diff. versions of S.1932
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.1932:
The retrogression issue (sec 8001) went only as far as S.1932.ES. It is excluded from S.1932.EAH!

I plead guilty to this. When I put this ppt together,I did not have network access, and all the slides were from memory, and the URLs were from a textpad I had stored. Please make appropriate corrections to the slides.
spgtopper said:
3. I would add that section 8001 of S.1932.ES is essentially what we need (as mentioned in your recommendations slide). Another slide explaining benefits - both tangible (monetary) and intangible (several other benefits to US from legal immigration) might be useful.

Good thought. Please let me know if you have any specific points. We can create another slide.
spgtopper said:
4. There are so many links to interesting articles posted here. Another slide that includes quotes from the articles by highly respected authors might help?

The more the merrier. But I must add, usually lawmakers have very little time. Keep it pithy (like Bill O'Reilly says :)). For example, during my presentation, they were only interested in the "issues" and "recommendations' slides.
let me know and i can help.

S.

Bill Number S.1932.ES sec 8001 & 8002 is for retro issue ....

http://thomas.loc.gov/ search for S.1932.ES

There are 3 versions of Bill Number S.1932 for the 109th Congress, 3rd is ours.
1 . Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005 (Placed on Calendar in Senate)[S.1932.PCS]
2 . Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 (Engrossed Amendment as Agreed to by House)[S.1932.EAH]
3 . Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by Senate)[S.1932.ES]. Please refer to following 2 sections.

SEC. 8001. RECAPTURE OF UNUSED VISA NUMBERS.
SEC. 8002. FEES WITH RESPECT TO IMMIGRATION SERVICES FOR INTRACOMPANY TRANSFEREES.

Sanjoshi,

Please include following link (As I mentioned earlier) in your final presentation.

http://enr.ecnext.com/free-scripts/comsite2.pl?page=enr_document&article=febiar051114

Highlight this paragraph of this link. It is very effective:

But it is not just craft labor shortages that are causing concern. "About 75% of my colleagues on my previous job [as head of global facilities engineering] will be retirement eligible within three-to-five years," says Sturgeon. He worries that engineering talent on the owners’ side is rapidly disappearing. "We used to rely on foreign nationals trained at universities here in the U.S. to come to work for us," he says. But he sees many top engineering students returning home to countries like India and China where they see greater opportunities than staying in the U.S. "They see downsizing and contraction in the industry and prefer to go home," Sturgeon says.

QUOTE=sunjoshi]Any updates to the ppt from anyone? Pls think it over b4 Monday morning[/QUOTE]

Hey Guys,
I must admit that i am not fully versed with the finer points and intricacies of the bills 1932 and 8001.I am a victim of retrogression and still awaiting the filing of I-485 after I-140 approval in Jan-05.However , the silver lining is that i have an opprotunity to meet congressman Mr. James Sensenbrenner(Rep.Wisconsin).I intend to use this opportunity to fullest advantage and hence doing a lil research and understanding the dynamics of this bill and Mr.Sensenbrenner's stand on this and other related issues!!!
If u guys have any pointers, pl let me know!!!!

Thanks,

Vinod Kholsa / kanwal Rekhi ??? ( CONTACTS ? )

Folks,

One thing that is very effective for us at this time - If any one of you have contacts with Vinod Kholsa and mention what we want (he knows the GC process), and the current situation, he can pull strings at Washington if he is serious. He is a personal friend of Former President Clinton, served on the Administration for a while, and from what I have read, he has very good equations with Pres, and his advisor.

Vinod Khosla has terrific credentials and his voice will be louder than many of the politicans, he is speaks. Since he is a well sought after VC. I am sure almost all of you have heard of Vinod Khosla, he is well known.

Also, it may be a good idea if we can talk to Deepak Chopra, Kanwal Rekhi , Suhas Patil, B.V. Jagadish, Ram Sriram (Google early VC), and also request Indian / Chinese Professors whom you know persoanaly to vouch for the EB Retro issues apart (Fax in their letter heads from different univs) from the Tech Innovators here.

What is ur suggestions ?

Vinod Khosla Brief profile

Vinod Khosla : Most successful venture capitalist of all time

Vinod Khosla has been termed as the most successful venture capitalist of all time by the online edition of `Valley Talk', a part of Fortune Magazine, five years after starting to invest in several start-ups, including some owned or managed by Indian Americans.
Owner of venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers (KPCB), Vinod Khosla would not have come near to making the grade in 1995. But today his colleagues think he is "the greatest" as he has made for his firm the most money ever.
Khosla has been investing in several Indian American start-ups as well as in others for several years. "It is his steady investment in companies that are building the next generation Internet infrastructure technology that has been bringing home the bacon and a lot more. As luck would have it, these investments are now turning out to be very lucrative. So lucrative, in fact, that Kholsa now holds the unofficial distinction of being the most successful venture capitalist of all time," said the online edition of `Valley Talk'.
Vinod Khosla was a co-founder of Daisy Systems and founding Chief Executive Officer of Sun Microsystems where he pioneered open systems and commercial RISC processors. He holds a Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology in New Delhi, a Master's in Biomedical Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University and a MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
Vinod serves on the boards of Asera, Corio Inc., Corvis Corporation, BigVine.com, Juniper Networks, Redback and QWEST Communications, plus several other private companies.

sundar99 said:
Folks,

One thing that is very effective for us at this time - If any one of you have contacts with Vinod Kholsa and mention what we want (he knows the GC process), and the current situation, he can pull strings at Washington if he is serious. He is a personal friend of Former President Clinton, served on the Administration for a while, and from what I have read, he has very good equations with Pres, and his advisor.

Vinod Khosla has terrific credentials and his voice will be louder than many of the politicans, he is speaks. Since he is a well sought after VC. I am sure almost all of you have heard of Vinod Khosla, he is well known.

Also, it may be a good idea if we can talk to Deepak Chopra, Kanwal Rekhi , Suhas Patil, B.V. Jagadish, Ram Sriram (Google early VC), and also request Indian / Chinese Professors whom you know persoanaly to vouch for the EB Retro issues apart (Fax in their letter heads from different univs) from the Tech Innovators here.

What is ur suggestions ?

USEFUL -- Good Research on OUTSOURCING of Jobs

By Ted Balaker and Adrian T.Moore,Ph.D May 2005 POLICY S T UDY

OFFSHORING AND PUBLIC FEAR: ASSESSING THE REAL THREAT TO JOBS
www.reason.org/ps333.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Pls check this research Document

By Ted Balaker and Adrian T.Moore,Ph.D May 2005 POLICY S T UDY 333 OFFSHORING AND PUBLIC FEAR: ASSESSING THE REAL THREAT TO JOBS

www.reason.org/ps333.pdf

Perhaps we can quote some relevant sections if you approve.

URGENT - Sunjoshi - Pls add this to the slide (it is better if one person handles)

5. Immigration restrictions could slow job growth.

(Extract from the previous URL - Very Very Useful along with statistics !!)

Our aging population means that a great many Americans will soon reach retirement age. By 2015 the United States will need an additional 16 million workers simply to maintain current productivity levels.122 U.S. companies will need more highly skilled labor in the future, and immigration is one way to help them get it. Foreigners have long found it easier to start businesses in America than in their homelands, and their arrivals have been good news for American jobseekers. Yet the benefits of brain gain could be compromised if Congress moves to restrict the flow of talented foreigners into the United States. Post 9/11 measures have already hampered companies ability to hire and transfer foreign workers, as background checks now take many months to complete.123 Often foreigners create American jobs that would not have existed otherwise. But even when a foreigner competes with an American for an existing job, the foreign worker will only get the job if he or she is the best candidate. And even if the foreigner does get the job, it could very well mean a total increase in job opportunities for Americans. Each time a company boosts its productivity, it strengthens its position in the global market. A stronger position means it is less likely to fall into bankruptcy and more likely to expand and hire more employees. Innovation creates jobs, but companies will innovate less and create fewer jobs if immigration policy is rigid. A trade policy that allows companies to move goods across borders helps support innovation, but companies need a similar kind of flexibility with regard to human capital. If we want more of the key innovations of the future to flourish on American soil we should ensure that immigration laws don t stymie brain gain.