S. 1932 Status

Material Consolidation

Friends,

That's a great find on WSJ.

Since next week is going to be crucial, does anyone on here have( or can prepare) a consolidated list of URLs, documents,articles that talk and promote our cause?

Please pardon my request, I'm in the middle of moving, and unable to do this myself (Otherwise I most certainly would do it). If someone can put together this list, it will be great to help educate the lawmakers. From one of my earlier posts, I do have a meeting with one of the congressmen this week, so I am planning on printing all favorable articles/documents and presenting him a copy. If time permits, I am also planning on putting together a powerpoint presentation of facts/statistics and positive spin and presenting it on my laptop (that is where a consolidated data would help).

And I encourage everyone else to do the same. Faxing/personally ghanding out positive spin to our cause may tilt several votes.

Thank You.

Contact the WSJ columnist

Guys:

Whoever this columnist in WSJ is....he is on our side...he presented only a part of our story....a very small part....he just mentioned the wait......not the rest of our griefs.......how about we send him an e-mail/fax/letter with our stories and what we write to the senators and ask him to write an xtended article....we would get some real good coverage almost for free............and also mention that we have sent a lot of letters to senators too....

What do yiu guys think of this? This is a golden opportunity for us.....

Santosh

The fact is the author is a Nobel Lau... and it will add a lot off weight and clout. Perhaps, we need to write to the letters to editors on the thoughtfullness of the article.

2. Perhaps interest others leading journals such as Forbes , Fortune would be a perfect one I used to work for one of the Foreign Goverrmnet and United Nations a few years ago, I do know a few business leaders on personal level, I will try to connect with them and have them write a OP-ED piece if it does not violate their magazine interests. Atleast, it will be a wakeup call for the "Mandarins" in Wash DC..

I completely agree with Santosh, we have to catch hold of this guy and completley describe the employment based retrogression issue.
We are paying taxes etc........, and we are not recognized on the top of it every one is addressing the issue of illegal immigration.

One caution

I think as it is the case is strong... if we can send on behalf of Becker this article to some of the media afencies besides the WSJ, the job is done. We need to seek his consent.

We need to word it very carefully, and should not look one sided. Also, Republicans/Democrats would not go and critise a Nobel laur..'s paper on this. Since all facts are packaged well.

One thing that needs emphasis are 1. Our Tax Contribution. 2. Our presence creating new jobs and revenues 3. Total Immigtration Syst Failure to process GC in time and making it more political quota which does not reflect realities.

vattam said:
I completely agree with Santosh, we have to catch hold of this guy and completley describe the employment based retrogression issue.
We are paying taxes etc........, and we are not recognized on the top of it every one is addressing the issue of illegal immigration.

All:

Great ideas......

I also think that the best way to drag in media on an issue is to show them that "some" media is already covering it. THey would begin to wonder what is going on and look into it. But again...we cant let them get side-tracked with H1B. This is about EB visas. How about we e-mail a part of the article, the fact that it is written by a nobel laureate, and how relevant but unknown the issue is to say National Public radio, local newspapers, some TV news sites?? I think getting it on NPR would be really great. It will get national coverage and they analyze issues quite objectively and for the most part are for social justice. Does anyone have contacts in NPR? Or maybe jsut sending an e-mail from their website to one of their programs may work. What do you guys think?

Santosh

Hi sunjoshi,

I am just reading your post. Where do you stand regarding the collection of all links? Please let me know if you need more help with collecting statistics and what not. I see that you are meeting a "Congressman" and apprising the "congress" is most important - IMHO.

When is your meeting? I will have more time whole day tomorrow (friday).

Here is text & links from my other post:

Mr. Gary Becker's views are well known. I agree that we need to make use of his "favorable" thoughts, and spin this to our advantage. Mainly because. lets face it, I don't think he can directly influence the committee members that are going to meet next week to decide our fate! I also don't think that we should mistake him to be pro-India, but at least he understand the value we add here in the US! ;-)

http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/a...more_skill.html

He used to be refular writer for businessweek, and has written about India occassionally.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazin...70044_mz007.htm

Here is another nice article:

Are We Losing the
Global Race for Talent?

By DEVESH KAPUR and JOHN MCHALE
November 21, 2005; Page A17

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB113254107083002777.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

sunjoshi said:
Friends,

That's a great find on WSJ.

Since next week is going to be crucial, does anyone on here have( or can prepare) a consolidated list of URLs, documents,articles that talk and promote our cause?

Please pardon my request, I'm in the middle of moving, and unable to do this myself (Otherwise I most certainly would do it). If someone can put together this list, it will be great to help educate the lawmakers. From one of my earlier posts, I do have a meeting with one of the congressmen this week, so I am planning on printing all favorable articles/documents and presenting him a copy. If time permits, I am also planning on putting together a powerpoint presentation of facts/statistics and positive spin and presenting it on my laptop (that is where a consolidated data would help).

And I encourage everyone else to do the same. Faxing/personally ghanding out positive spin to our cause may tilt several votes.

Thank You.

Thank You So much for the Links and information. I'll definetely print them off, and time permitting, will put together the ppt (if someone already has something quick and easy, I'll be delighted to use that)

My meeting is on Dec-3 with Tom Price, and I'll post the outcome right after.

On another note, someone mentioned contacting NPR et al. NPR is considered extreme left wing (not that it makes a difference to us), but we must bear in mind some political nuances when we approach media outlets and lawmakers. If you go to a conservative lawmaker and project that your cause was covered on NPR, that won't fly! CSPAN is a lot more moderate than NPR and should be a good target. So is Washington Post.

Right now it appears that republicans are our friends (since they are supporting S.1932 and HR4241 AND are majority in both houses), but it could be exactly opposite next year given the way many senate/congress seats are paning out, thus far.

Here is the link of enr.com, a leading megazin highlighting severe problem of manpower shortage in construction industries.

http://enr.ecnext.com/free-scripts/comsite2.pl?page=enr_document&article=febiar051114

sunjoshi said:
Thank You So much for the Links and information. I'll definetely print them off, and time permitting, will put together the ppt (if someone already has something quick and easy, I'll be delighted to use that)

On another note, someone mentioned contacting NPR et al. NPR is considered extreme left wing (not that it makes a difference to us), but we must bear in mind some political nuances when we approach media outlets and lawmakers. If you go to a conservative lawmaker and project that your cause was covered on NPR, that won't fly! CSPAN is a lot more moderate than NPR and should be a good target. So is Washington Post.

Right now it appears that republicans are our friends (since they are supporting S.1932 and HR4241 AND are majority in both houses), but it could be exactly opposite next year given the way many senate/congress seats are paning out, thus far.

Good luck, Sunjoshi with your meeting.

If you are not already aware of this site
Compete America

It gives percentage of foreigners awarded advanced science and engineering degrees by major engineering universities by states in 2003. I think most of the recipents of the advanced degrees are already working in the US. US needs to retain them to be competitive. It is also economically sound to retain the brain power when money (through goverment or private sector funded scholarship and assistantship to these foreign graduate students) is already spent to educate them. Thanks. Keep us posted.

sunjoshi said:

Hey Sunjoshi,

Please make sure that you focus more on EB retrogression and not on H-1B visa increase. The articles that you are collecting are good. It is also possible that he may not read it or just say that at this time I cannot read it but I will take it with me. I would suggest you that you keep plan B ready meaning just tell him directly about the EB retrogression problem. Ask for his help on this particular problem. If we don't ask they will think that we are trying to bring this problem to their notice.

GOODLUCK. I will pray to God that you along with others who are joining you succeed in our mission.

Cheers

Pratik

Last edited by a moderator:
All the Best Sunjoshi. Put ur best foot forward and like they all said on here, keep the distinction between EB and H1B clear to them. All the very best. I dunno if ur married or not, but try and also impress upon him how our well educated spouses have to sit at home and twiddle their thumbs, inspite of being highly qualified.

God Bless.

Fax

I wonder, to whom we are going to fax, I am not aware of the conference committee members is decided by the house. If any one know the members they can post here and we can fax the letter.
Best of luck to SUNJOSHI
pdakwala said:
Lawmakers wants spending-cut bill passed in December. Everyone please prepare yourself and make sure that you allot at least 15 minutes each day just for sending the fax, or email or letters to the conference committe. Please note that we do not have any option so please please make sure that everyone do it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051202/pl_nm/economy_congress_spending_dc_1