S. 1932 Status

That is very good thing. I appologize if I have hurt your feeling but please don't post those questions over here because what happens is that it will provoke others to do the same thing.

Idea here is to stay focus on one thing. Just send as many letters as we can to the senators and HR'S so that we can bring retrogression problem in limelight.

once we get proper info of who is going to be in that joint committe then we can clearly tell those senators/congressman

its okay, but before posting please read then post

pdakwala said:
That is very good thing. I appologize if I have hurt your feeling but please don't post those questions over here because what happens is that it will provoke others to do the same thing.

Idea here is to stay focus on one thing. Just send as many letters as we can to the senators and HR'S so that we can bring retrogression problem in limelight.

Applying psychology to immigration

Guys
I am in the same boat(Labor approved recently, applying for I-140 which may take only 2 or 3 weeks according to my lawyer).So getting to apply for I-485 is very crucial to me just like everybody.I can go visit my family on advance parole after nearly 6 years.I am doing my part behind the scenes and i suspect lot of others are doing their part silently.I not only faxed on my original name but also convinced my consulting company and the client to send the fax.
If i am not coming out to the open, its because it will take me some time to understand all this govt jargon(i did not know anything about senate or congress until this) and come upto your speed.I belive if cant help right away, atleast i should not get in the way of someone helping.
I know emotions are running high now.I suspect this is the reason why it seems only a handful of people are doing the work.In reality, this silent wind has taken the force of hurricane and it will hit the shore with full force.Our job now is to steer it so that we can use this force to destroy the bad while protecting the good.
The reason i am posting now is i would like to offer my expertise in behaviourial sciences to benefit all.Lets say, i am the congrssman and i recive a bunch of faxes.If i already made my decision, the number(even 1000) of faxes will not make me change.I will allote only 2 secs to glance at the SUBJECT and if its about the same thing, the chances are i will throw it in trash and go get my coffee and donut.BUT IF THE SUBJECT IS SOMETHING CATCHY LIKE, "ITS NOT ABOUT IMMIGRATION, ITS ABOUT FREEDOM TO LEGAL IMMIGRANTS", NOW THAT MIGHT CATHCH MY EYE.
Just a suggestion to all those who are leading the way.Please keep up the good work.we are all with you.

New Approach

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think abt this approach?

We ask for help from ALL our congressmen/Senators. BUT, we SPECIFY that this is abt Retrogression and NOT abt H1b. Maybe we just need to educate them abt the Difference. Forget that there is S1932, forget abt HR4241. We simply explain to them what our trouble is "EB3 Retrogression". And down at the bottom we mention that, currently there is a Bill called the S1932 which has the Sec 8001 which addresses this problem "to an extent".

The point here is that we need to create mass awareness among the lawmakers abt the Retrogression REGARDLESS of these 2 Bills, currently in the house/senate. In that case maybe (God Forbid), if this bill fails, we still have the lawmakers educated abt the Difference. The last thing we want is to be mushed in with H1b. I know ppl here have said that we can slip thru by not mentioning the difference between H1B and EB3. That approach may work in THIS bill. But in the long run, this ignorance is going to harm us BIG TIME. Almost every response from the lawmakers i have seen on here seems to be confusing the 2 aspects.

Let us try a different approach where in we mail/fax senators/congressmen and even the President's office, clearly differentiating the 2 issues and explaining our plight. We are highly skilled ppl and we need to impress that fact onto them.

zamq said:
once we get proper info of who is going to be in that joint committe then we can clearly tell those senators/congressman

its okay, but before posting please read then post
Here is what you have asked. "anyone has idea when this bill will come into affect so that we can apply for ead/ap ? suppose if 1932/4241 will go and signed by president by christmas day???" Check your posting.

Your question will provoke others also to think in that direction. You have al ready done your job but there are others who have not done anything yet. We want more efforts and not to lose focus. Your question and posting is total diversion from the current topic.

Canadian Dream,

I dont think we need to worry too much abt the minor intricacies. I do not think that ALL the house reps will be in the Joint committee. We can STILL focuss on the Senate REPUBLICAN members. They are our allies in this Retrogression issue. The ones who are against it can keep harping on it all they want. As long as TOO many ppl arent against it, we shud be ok.

Remember each ammendment has to be put to a Vote by ALL the members of the joint committee. Even though Democrats may be opposed to the bill they will NOT be opposed to immigration reforms AS LONG as they are perceived to be bringing in $$$. Remember the Byrd ammendment? Democrats were opposed to the Senate bill too, but the Vote on the Byrd ammendment was 85-14.

I wish the senate wud announce it's members soon. That way we can focuss on the Senate members instead of House (as they are more receptive to Sec 8001).

Don't loose your sleep over it. Conference Committee usually generate uniform language. If you are looking for speculation, it's also possible that Committee can drop crucial cost cutting provision which bothering Democrat and they can get 584-0 vote. We don’t know what they will come-up. So don't loose sleep.

So Bottom-line, we have to do our part to convince everyone including democrats and let’s see what happens. Enjoy the holidays. My 2 cents. :)

Canadian_Dream said:
Cunningham is a republican and he voted in favor of HR 4241. With his resignation even if we have 8001/8002 included in final version there will four less votes for HR 4241 (which was passed with slim majority of 215-217):
1. Lamar Smith
2. Tancredo
3. Hostettler
4. Cunningham

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/13275604.htm

Democrats are united against the cuts. Anyone has suggestions what should we do next ? Courting Democrats would be uphill battle, that leaves us to convinvce these three US Reps by best possible means.
Unfortunately they have publicly opposed to these measure originally proposed by Senate.

http://tancredo.house.gov/press/pressers/1026SenatePlansToSellVisasToFixBudgetWoesFINAL2.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
pdakwala,

Where did u get the info that the members of the joint committee will be posted next week? Just need to check that article to know when to expect the members info being posted.

Prez Speech Today on CNN !!! (on Immigration)

Did you folks watch CNN... they are sort of legalising ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS WORKING in US, and probably award GCs to them eventually. I saw some Senators are supporting legal immigration (did not catch the name), perhaps we need to contact these senators, this will be effective.

We also need to provide the facts that, Prez bush plans to leaglize illegal immig is " unhealthy economy in long run and having the sweat and blood of poor illegal immigrants. " Although the Prez is trying his best to do things right politically, this can be damaging for legal immigrants.

- I saw prez bush's address to Border Force in Arizona.

Re : Speech

If you notice something..this speech was targetted for a close door audience which is basically a part of the govt body. For election theme, prez needs to sing a different tune to get the hispanic community votes neverthless..

I suspect that Retrogression will move forward once we get closer to elections. Which means we need to stay put for a year atleast like this.

During the mean time

let's draft a letter, short, precise and to the point. Once we have the members, we will send out the letters. Thanks.

pdakwala said:
The Page was last modified on: March 17, 2005. We will come to know the name of people in joint committee by next week.

this is from immigration-law.com
The Congress will return to the Hill next week to resolve the differences between the Senate and the House in the "employment-based" and "legal immigration" legislative bill which is a part of S. 1932. Again, the leaders in the House and the Senate should realize that this bill deals with an important national strategy for foeign brain power immigration issues which are "separate" from the issues the President addressed yesterday. For the S. 1932, the leaders in the House and the Senate should show a bi-partisan support as it transcends the idealogical differences between the right and the left when it comes a long term national strategy for foreign brain powers in this country

hope congress will return Next week and finailize our 1932/4241 and comes to good conclusion and include our requests so that we can file ead/ap now only,remove dependents from Quota and remove per country percentage
sunjoshi said:
The congress sessions restarts Dec 6, right?

Remove country percentage? The S.1932 doesn't say that.

zamq said:
this is from immigration-law.com
The Congress will return to the Hill next week to resolve the differences between the Senate and the House in the "employment-based" and "legal immigration" legislative bill which is a part of S. 1932. Again, the leaders in the House and the Senate should realize that this bill deals with an important national strategy for foeign brain power immigration issues which are "separate" from the issues the President addressed yesterday. For the S. 1932, the leaders in the House and the Senate should show a bi-partisan support as it transcends the idealogical differences between the right and the left when it comes a long term national strategy for foreign brain powers in this country

hope congress will return Next week and finailize our 1932/4241 and comes to good conclusion and include our requests so that we can file ead/ap now only,remove dependents from Quota and remove per country percentage

Fox News report

Just saw this interview on Fox news with a white house rep for Bush's immig reforms. Question was specifically asked that it would be unfair on the legal immigrants who have been waiting on their Green cards, if the illegals were to get amnesty/GCs before them. The rep said that the reforms did consider that aspect and will make sure people in line for GCs WILL get first, and the amnesty folks will be put on the line.
What the specifically means, isn't clear. But atleast they are aware of it.

sunjoshi said:
Just saw this interview on Fox news with a white house rep for Bush's immig reforms. Question was specifically asked that it would be unfair on the legal immigrants who have been waiting on their Green cards, if the illegals were to get amnesty/GCs before them. The rep said that the reforms did consider that aspect and will make sure people in line for GCs WILL get first, and the amnesty folks will be put on the line.
What the specifically means, isn't clear. But atleast they are aware of it.

Either that or they just said it to shut the reporters up ;).

How does Amnesty work anyway? I mean do they file for I485 Directly? They sure cant file for family based or work based so Labour and I-140 are out of the Picture. What stage DO they normally file? If they have to file I-485 directly then he is right, They WILL be in line, RIGHT AHEAD of us! Coz they CAN file for 485 we CANT.