S. 1932 Status

Unfortunately I think the Dems have no influence at all

pdakwala said:
My guess is that only the appropriate conference committee members responsible for the immigration are on the negotiation table to discuss not the whole house and senate and not all the conference committee members apointed by the House and Senate. As far as immigration provision is concerned I think that
Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Senator Arlen Specter, Senator Edward M. Kennedy and Senator Charles E. Grassley from the Senate side and James Sensenbrenner, Lamar S. Smith, and John Conyers are involved.

Unfortunately, the Dems have very little influence. This is what Congressman Spratt's staffer told me. I don't think it is as if these 7 people get together and decide what goes into the final conference report on the Judiciary committee side. The Republicans want a bill passed. So they will put in or take out whatever is needed to get a bill passed.

Anyway, I hope that you are right and I am wrong :)

"1. Unfortunately some members may hold the entire bill to ransom and say that they will vote against the bill if it contains provisions they don't like. All the Republicans want the budget bill passed - hence the reconciliation needs to have as few controversial measures as possible. Even our champion Specter may not fight on this one, since he would prioritize the Budget bill over half a million desis. You are using a logical argument that this is a budget bill so they would want to reduce expenses and increase revenue. The anti-immigration folks could counter by socking it to the L1 applicants."

My Reply: You are right that some members may hold the entire bill to ransom and say that they will vote against the bill if it contains provisions they don't like. That is still there no matter whether immigration provision is in the bill or not. Also Spector or someone else who is close to Spector will use the same strategy and say that they will vote against the bill if the immigration provision is not included.

It is still hard for me to belive that the entier immigration provision is or will be removed from the bill.

There is nothing that we can do at this time except phone calls. So let me do that now. Cheers

it seems like my college days.... only profressor and few students are sitting and the rest of the chairs and tables are empty.....

most of the students on "bunk"

They are waiting for senators to come into the senate hall on CPAN2 to discuss the budget reconciliation bill...the talk about the defense bill is just a filler.