reuniting families act

daniyatom

Registered Users (C)
Anyone knows when this will become law? It sucks for us PRs as we have to wait years in order to sponsor our wives.

This act will classify spouses of PRs as immediate relatives so we need it to become law!

never... nobody forces LPRs to live in the USA, so if you choose to be married after you obtain permanent residency you knew what you were getting yourself into.

dude, i merely asked if anyone knows when congress will vote for that bill or when that bill is schedule to go from the committee to the floor and then voted by both chambers. I really don't need the minutia about who forces whom to live here.

Last edited by a moderator:
dude, i merely asked if anyone knows when congress will vote for that bill or when that bill is schedule to go from the committee to the floor and then voted by both chambers.

I wouldn't hold my breath. This gets proposed every year or two, and goes nowhere. It may be part of CIR, but I'm also not holding my breath on this.

I think this one of the most dumm laws out there. I am a citizen now. I had to bring my spouse on H1B - total stupidity. We met in the US and were married initially in the US. But we needed to travel - so this was the only way. We had to go through different booths as Seattle airport - total mess and stressful.

Many spouses stay at home anyways especially if the husband earns enough money. So they can only generate demand for US products. Really dumm law. I cannot see why it still exists.

Really dumm law. I cannot see why it still exists.

There is no law that prevents Permanent Residents from sponsoring their spouses and children - in fact, they are they only aliens who are allowed to sponsor a relative for a Green Card. The issue is that the quota is too low relative to demand.

Every one looks at the issue from his own side, want his own advantage and a list of logics are ready for argument. That who married from overseas want to bring his spouse in the same day for family reuniting, and that who divorced want to kick the ex spouse in the same day because he/she is the one who sponsored the other and so on. There are millions living, working and waiting for many years because of the unavailability and low visa number issued per year. That who want to bring spouse immediately want to bypass all those. It is every one's choice when he/she elected to marry from overseas and suppose to know that a long line is already in place.

Well, I think we all need to write to our senators and congressmen to lobby for this bill to become law.

As it stands now, and because of low visa numbers, spouses of LPR have to wait for years, and they are not even eligible for any social or business visas (they could get H1s and L1s I think).

There is no law that prevents Permanent Residents from sponsoring their spouses and children - in fact, they are they only aliens who are allowed to sponsor a relative for a Green Card. The issue is that the quota is too low relative to demand.
However, the quota limitations are absurd in light of how spouses and children are treated in other areas of immigration. H1B and J1 and L1 and just about every other long-term visa imaginable allows spouses and minor children to immediately come to the US, but suddenly this allowance goes away upon becoming a permanent resident and doesn't return until one becomes a citizen.

They can come, under a VERY restricted visa (i.e. no employment, no resident tuition, etc). Which is not the same as becoming a PR.
Which visa is that? If you're thinking of the V visa, it isn't available to new permanent residents, because the I-130 must have been filed before 2001.

Actually, spouses of L visas are allowed to work without any restrictions, same as green card holders. H visas have no such privilege, but they're still allowed to bring their spouses.

There definitely needs to be a dual-intent non-immigrant visa that allows spouses of LPRs to come to the US (even if it doesn't let them work) while they wait for their green cards. It just doesn't make sense that a F, H, or L visa holder (all non-immigrants) should have an easier time being with their family than an immigrant who is making the US their permanent home.

Actually, spouses of L visas are allowed to work without any restrictions, same as green card holders. H visas have no such privilege, but they're still allowed to bring their spouses.

There definitely needs to be a dual-intent non-immigrant visa that allows spouses of LPRs to come to the US (even if it doesn't let them work) while they wait for their green cards. It just doesn't make sense that a F, H, or L visa holder (all non-immigrants) should have an easier time being with their family than an immigrant who is making the US their permanent home.

I also wonder how a US citizen to be feels about his new country when he gets divorced from his wife after being seperated for so long?

How does a child feel when is seperated from a parent for so long?

Is that a good way to treat future US citizens?

I like a lot of things about the US - but this is definition of making life very hard for people who will become US citizens.

I agree. I think that the V visa was a good idea, and it should be revived. I think it should be changed to make the waiting period shorter, but make it just unpleasant enough that it not be abused.

1. COMMENT

Behind The Scenes

The dog days of summer are here, and the quiet is deceptive.
Beneath the surface, furious activity is afoot. The massive CIR
bill is being written by Congressional staffers, and various
interest groups are working to get their particular clauses and
language into the bill. Lobbying is most effective at this pre-
subcommittee stage, since once the bill is presented for markup,
amendments are increasingly harder to garner support for as the
bill proceeds through the law making process - subcommittee
markup, committee markup, and floor consideration. Since
President Obama has apparently promised floor action this winter,
members of Congress on the immigration subcommittees will be
working throughout the fall to markup and report the huge CIR
bill. So, dont be deceived by appearances - the biggest re-write
of the INA is proceeding apace - it augurs change bigger than
IRCA and IMMACT combined.

We welcome readers to share their opinion and ideas with us by
writing to mailto:editor@ilw.com.

I think we should all do our part to lobby or have a say for what we want in this bill. Not saying that passage is secure, but at least there is hope.