Returning to COP issue on newspapers

The one in Spanish cited an example that is very scary, but also difficult to believe:

"Uno de los últimos casos fue el de un matrimonio colombiano que intentó regresar a Miami después de haber permanecido en Colombia por tres semanas. A su llegada al Aeropuerto Internacional fueron detenidos, interrogados por largo rato y llevados ante un oficial jefe de inmigración, quien al final los halló culpables de haber violado esta ley."

Translation:
"One case was a married couple that after three weeks in Colombia returned to Miami. After they arrived to the international airport (Miami), they were detained, interrogated for a long time and then taken to an immigration officer who found them guilty to violate this law."

“Ellos fueron deportados....le contó a El Pais una familiar de la pareja colombiana, quien también es asilada..."

Translation:
"They were deported....said one relative of the couple to the newspaper, who is also an asylee..."

Last edited by a moderator:
wantmygcnow said:
This is huge. I guess officers are reading this board...
and yet the real deal surge when an ex-asylee with frequent trip to COP preform the naturalization interview.

The USCIS spokespersn quoted in the article gives a very very reasonable explanation for the fact sheet which by the way is not revolutionary to begin with.

Use common sense and you will be fine.

thankful said:
The USCIS spokespersn quoted in the article gives a very very reasonable explanation for the fact sheet which by the way is not revolutionary to begin with.

Use common sense and you will be fine.

Thankful, So what do you suggest? My only issue is if I can use COP passport to travel overseas(not COP)....Most embassies(like German) scoff at Rentry Permit and want a national passport.

I will not spoke for others, but at least in the case of former YU refugees/asylees there is no problem in traveling back as the wars are over and new government(s) are in place...

samird said:
I will not spoke for others, but at least in the case of former YU refugees/asylees there is no problem in traveling back as the wars are over and new government(s) are in place...

I think if you read the article, it clearly states that they don't care if country conditions have changed..they dont like if you go to COP multiple times..

Immigration clearly states that asylum can be terminated if the situation in COP changes, and it is safe for the asylee to go back there. But what if the person adjusts to PR ??

Does the same rule apply ?

If so, Why would USCIS bother in letting asylees adjust to PR status ??

Don Chinche said:
Immigration clearly states that asylum can be terminated if the situation in COP changes, and it is safe for the asylee to go back there. But what if the person adjusts to PR ??

Does the same rule apply ?

If so, Why would USCIS bother in letting asylees adjust to PR status ??

Its more about fraud control rather than asylee-pr adjustment. If they think you obtained GC by fraud..no matter if its through asylum, marriage, h1 etc, they can question you.

USCIS is trying to paint the picture as black and white..meaning that if you go back to COP is same as if you divorce a partner after getting a GC or other easy-fraud based GC's

There is gray area in asylum adjustment which they fail to realize...You can marry someone and divorce(thats black and white) but here after giving you asylum status, they are asking you to "divorce" your COP and totally forget it..however they themselves "class" you based on your COP..So they want to have it both ways. If they truly want us to forget our COP then maybe they should make everyone U.S CItizens and bypass the green card process..since with thier fact sheets, they are saying the rights of PR do not apply to asylee based PR...

Agreed.

Or they should say something like "No asylee is to return to his COP for x amount of years"... or "at all".

Cl_Asylee said:
Sorry if you already read this.

This news about green card holders returning to COP was posted on Jan. 16.2007 by the Miami Herald:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/breaking_news/16468314.htm

This one was posted yesterday by a Colombian newspaper (sorry it is written in Spanish):

http://elpais.com.co/paisonline/notas/Enero212007/asilo.html

I take this article as positive information for us. It shows USCIS and immigration attornies are realizing that the fact sheet are not covering everything situations. The "holes" in the fact sheet are starting to be considered.

agree

hey wantmygcnow now we are agree in that we are not considered LPR like the others PR.
Now we are a discriminated GC holders.
US is country of Laws, and a Lawsuit can be a solution.
We have to Contac our congressman and write to the medias. This can be a start point like a its time the Real ID was.

wantmygcnow said:
Its more about fraud control rather than asylee-pr adjustment. If they think you obtained GC by fraud..no matter if its through asylum, marriage, h1 etc, they can question you.

USCIS is trying to paint the picture as black and white..meaning that if you go back to COP is same as if you divorce a partner after getting a GC or other easy-fraud based GC's

There is gray area in asylum adjustment which they fail to realize...You can marry someone and divorce(thats black and white) but here after giving you asylum status, they are asking you to "divorce" your COP and totally forget it..however they themselves "class" you based on your COP..So they want to have it both ways. If they truly want us to forget our COP then maybe they should make everyone U.S CItizens and bypass the green card process..since with thier fact sheets, they are saying the rights of PR do not apply to asylee based PR...

Yes, some sort of the expedited citizenship should be available to the asylees: it just takes a long time for us to be between the citizenships. We can not use the citizenship of the native country, nor do we have the US citizenship - and for many it is years of such "citizenless" situation. Not that we are discriminated against as the PRs while in US, but international travel is very challenging. RTD takes months to get, then it is valid for one year only and most airlines require at least 3 moths validity remaining to let you aboard, which makes RTD techically valid for 9 months. My work requires a lot of intenational travel and so far I have been doing it on my RTD, but it is a headache. Recently I had to go to Austria (may need to add this info to Visa to Countries sticky) and they said that in order for me to get Sh visa on my RTD I had to surrender my NP to them, or show a proof from the US goverment that I don't have a valid NP anymore. The explanation was that I can easily travel to my home country from Austria and they dont want to assist the US asylees in that. I chose not to go to Austria altogether - my NP is still valid, I am not going to use it or go to my home coutry - but to surrender it to the Austrian embassy for a visitor's visa? So, some law is needed, or some motion to adapt a law that whould allow an accelerated naturalization for the asylees.

help!!!!!

doctorn said:
Yes, some sort of the expedited citizenship should be available to the asylees: it just takes a long time for us to be between the citizenships. We can not use the citizenship of the native country, nor do we have the US citizenship - and for many it is years of such "citizenless" situation. Not that we are discriminated against as the PRs while in US, but international travel is very challenging. RTD takes months to get, then it is valid for one year only and most airlines require at least 3 moths validity remaining to let you aboard, which makes RTD techically valid for 9 months. My work requires a lot of intenational travel and so far I have been doing it on my RTD, but it is a headache. Recently I had to go to Austria (may need to add this info to Visa to Countries sticky) and they said that in order for me to get Sh visa on my RTD I had to surrender my NP to them, or show a proof from the US goverment that I don't have a valid NP anymore. The explanation was that I can easily travel to my home country from Austria and they dont want to assist the US asylees in that. I chose not to go to Austria altogether - my NP is still valid, I am not going to use it or go to my home coutry - but to surrender it to the Austrian embassy for a visitor's visa? So, some law is needed, or some motion to adapt a law that whould allow an accelerated naturalization for the asylees.

I have the same problem? I flight abroad almost every month. ( I am a FLIGHT ATTENDANT) and I don't know what to do...we don't flight to my cop , but to get the RTD is a headache, takes like 3 month, I have to flight to cananda next mont and I don't know what to do..I have my NP from COP but was renew it here in the US? asy suggestion? keep using my NP or maybe losing my job? I am really worry
:( :(

dfvm said:
I have the same problem? I flight abroad almost every month. ( I am a FLIGHT ATTENDANT) and I don't know what to do...we don't flight to my cop , but to get the RTD is a headache, takes like 3 month, I have to flight to cananda next mont and I don't know what to do..I have my NP from COP but was renew it here in the US? asy suggestion? keep using my NP or maybe losing my job? I am really worry
It is helpful to contact the USCIS offiice in your jurisdiction, make an appointment with the officer and ask them these questions. I saw a post last year on this forum from someone who discussed this exact issue with the IO in their local USCIS office and got their questions answered - at least some of the questions. I remember what the answeres were at that time, but the rules could have changed, since it has been a year, so please contact them directly.

doctorn said:

Are you a PR?

dfvm said:

If you have a Green card, you can renew your NP and you are ok. You are travelling for your Job and your job requires it. If you don't go to your COP, you are perfectly ok.

The fact sheet DOES NOT say that if ex asylees renew their NP. they are in trouble..it says if they visit their COP and you are NOT doing that.

If it makes you comfortable, you can schedule an appointment with an Immigraton officer but I will guarantee you, he will have NO clue as to what a fact sheet is.

wantmygcnow said:
I will guarantee you, he will have NO clue as to what a fact sheet is.

Right.

If you want something more reliable from the USCIS, ask an immigration attorney to write to a senior immigration official in DC who will (hopefully) formally respond to the query.