Returning back w/ a GC

Miss_chang

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I'm about to return back from my oversees trip later this month. I just had a few questions to those who've already traveled as asylees.

Will I be grilled upon my return? What's the normal procedure like?

Please note that I'm a derivative asylee and I used my NP plus GC ( I've got a RTD as well ).

It could only be a big deal if you have been gone a rather long time, did something that makes you inadmissible while gone, or returned to the alleged country of persecution.

Your weekend trip to Acapulco or Aruba or business trip to Tokyo or London is no big deal but if suppose that you got a greencard due to persecution in country X and immediately after getting a greencard you returned to country X for 9 months with no problems and there has not been a revolution that took out the persecuting government that your family fled from since your asylum application was filed, there could be some serious questioning.

should not have a problem,if u use a RTD,there is a 50% chance that they might send you for a secondary,again which is nothing but just a few random questions.

Not necessarily. Secondary just means they send you to another room. There, they could ask you more questions, or nothing at all. I think it just means they need more time to process your entry and don't want to hold up the queue. I used my RTD/RP plus GC many times and was never sent to secondary, but many have always been sent. So, don't worry, and use your GC and NP, no problem.

If you have GC and RP or RTD there won't be a secondary inspection. I traveled out of the US twice since I got my GC using my RTD both for short trips and reentering through JFK and my experience couldn't have been simpler. Handed the officer my RTD and GC along with the customs form and withing two minutes, I was stamped and sent on my way to get my luggage. The first trip I was in the same line as US citizens even. The second return, the airport was busy so they further divided the line that had PR's and Citizens in it into Citizens and non-citizens to speed up the reentry of US citizens so the wait was a little longer but once I got to the officer my wait was completely non-existent and there were zero questions and no secondary inspection. Now I had no reason to be concerned in the first place since I didn't travel to COP or commit any crimes but I'm just saying that the process was beyond simple. Even leaving the US on RTD and GC was very simple save for the one TSA officer who didn't know what an RTD was. Someone must have been out sick the day they covered the various USCIS travel documents during employee training:p

RTD alone should be enough for your return without any problems, showing the GC is a plus

I don't see any problem in using the RTD in your return

Last edited by a moderator:
my friend i just came back from a trip to Dubai, when i came at jfk 1st the IO told me that i am going to let you go but then she said that i dont see any record of you being an asylee so she sent me to some other room. there another officer who had access to more information in his computer was able to see that i am as asylee. so he took my RTD stamped it and made me a new i94 and told me welcome back. all i had was an RTD i am yet to file for my green card and i had no problems. it seems a big deal and i was scared too, i dont blame you for that but once you go thru it u will know its not a big deal.

Well, I'm not scared but I just wanna make sure that I know what the normal procedure is like....

By the way, prior to my departure, I'd never left the States ever since I entered it back in 2006 as a F-1 student ( my status changed to Derivative Asylee in 2009 ) and even after my status changed, I wasn't issued a new I-94....

I submitted my I-94 to the airlines on my way out, did I do anything wrong?

Miss_chang,there is nothing wrong in submitting your old I-94,actually,every body is supposed to do that, but as usuall ,lot's of people don't do it.On you way in,you will be issued a new one.As for the process,chances are,you will be sent for a secondary inspection where they will ask you may be a question or two,then you should be out of there.

I think so, plus why would you give the I-94 ? This is not I-94 for temporary visit like B1/B2, this I-94 is stamped with "Asylum Granted indefinitely", airlines records are enough to prove my departure "if needed"

Each time you re-enter and go through a secoundary inpection,you get a new I-94 clearly spamed on it "Asylum Granted indefinitely'' (with work authorization,blah blah blah) same as on your RTD.Just like with many immigration cases,it depends largely on the IO who you meet at the POE,some will let you in without a secondary,some you send you through a secondary.Not returning your I-94 on departure has nothing to do with this,bottom line,as as Asylee,we have to be re-admitted into the US after an international travel,and that is usaully done at the secondary.

What if you don't go through a secondary inspection?
you don't get the stamp on your RTD.The first IO at POE don't have the stamp.Again,not having the stamp is not a big deal,chances are,the IO who let you in probably is not familiar with your status and from my experience,that has nothing with your next travel.Personally,I would say before I had my green card,I've been through secoundary about 70-80% of the time, the rest,I was waved through.

Yes, that was said before: RTD alone is enough for your return to USA, showing the GC is a plus. But there is no need to give the I-94 in airport when leaving USA "you can google it if not certain"

Every IO I encountered during my numerous returns to the US could not have been oblivious to rules of readmitting asylees, so the fact that I was NEVER sent to secondary is confusing when many are either always, or just sometimes, sent to secondary. Maybe their names, etc. Who knows.

i came back from roundtrip from nepal on my RP and GC, stay was about one month, the officer asked me for my GC after showing my RP. asked me how long i stayed, reason for travel, who i have there. he than told me to have fingerprint taken with photo and stamped my passport.

but my dried buff packaged meats, 8 packs about 2 pounds each got taken away after they checked my lugguage at arrival.