RETURNING after 11months, reasons CBP will ask questions

untilwingdpa

Why didn't you apply for a re-entry permit? And, why don't you do it this time when you come? You're taking a huge risk when there is a perfectly good option meant specifically for such circumstances. APPLY FOR A RE-ENTRY PERMIT!

Also remember that if you're lucky, they won't ask you much when you come through immigration. Also, even if they do ask you how long you've been out, and you say almost a year and explain your circumstances, they may just warn you and tell you to apply for a re-entry permit.

I read that you need some specific excuse to apply for a re entry permit. I dont know if they grant it that easily. Now I dont have time because I wont stay long enough.
Maybe I'll try to get one next time.
Do you know how hard it is to get one? What do they ask for (I mean what's the basis that it gets granted on? example: you go a job overseas? Familly member sick? etc...)

Thanks a lot

No, you just say you need to stay overseas for an extended period. It's not hard, especially the first one, and often even the second one. As for you applying for it another time, you may not have the chance. Apply this time, leave if you want, but have someone check your mail and tell you when to come back for biometrics. You can even get your biometrics done after your appointment date (I think they give you a few weeks), then have your re-entry permit sent to the US consulate in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

No, you just say you need to stay overseas for an extended period. It's not hard, especially the first one, and often even the second one. As for you applying for it another time, you may not have the chance. Apply this time, leave if you want, but have someone check your mail and tell you when to come back for biometrics. You can even get your biometrics done after your appointment date (I think they give you a few weeks), then have your re-entry permit sent to the US consulate in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
Who said anything about Dubai or Abu Dhabi? Jeffy14's signature mentions France.

my experience

Hello,

I'm gonna write how it went for me when I went back to the US.
By the way, the original poster is an idiot who did not provide an update.

So anyway, I did not have any problem entering the US...
I dont know why you guys make such a big deal of it. They did not even ask me 1 question!
NOTHING.
You stressed me for nothing....

Thanks for the update.

You weren't asked anything this time, but there is no guarantee you'll always have it so easy. Some people breeze through with few or no questions, some people are interrogated for several minutes, some are given a warning about their extensive traveling, some are ordered to see an immigration judge to defend their green card.

Thanks for the update.

You weren't asked anything this time, but there is no guarantee you'll always have it so easy. Some people breeze through with few or no questions, some people are interrogated for several minutes, some are given a warning about their extensive traveling, some are ordered to see an immigration judge to defend their green card.

lol ok

But after reading everything you guys said I was sure I was gonna get in trouble. ANyhow, I'm sure it wont be always like that. Thnak you for your help, at least I was prepared and i'm rdy for the next time :)
DO you think it helps that I'm not married, have no kids, and I'm from Europe rather Africa or south america or india?
I mean racial profiling is sadly a reality....

Yah, you got lucky. It could be because you're European, or you were well dressed, or the officer didn't care, or a lot of things. However, if you do this often (stay out for long, and in the country for only a short time in-between), you could get in trouble.

lol ok

But after reading everything you guys said I was sure I was gonna get in trouble. ANyhow, I'm sure it wont be always like that. Thnak you for your help, at least I was prepared and i'm rdy for the next time :)
DO you think it helps that I'm not married, have no kids, and I'm from Europe rather Africa or south america or india?
I mean racial profiling is sadly a reality....

If you are interested in seeking naturalization, long absences have a negative effect. They cause delays in becoming eligible to apply.

I am returning to USA after 11months 20days. Please let me know what would be the questions if at all asked at the port of entry.

Kids US citizens, me/wife on GC since 4years. Had to leave because of family commitments/issueses.
My whole family is in India, its just me alone returning.

I know it should be fine since its under 1year, but wanted to know what questions will be asked and how to respond to those, will it problem to enter at such a long time.

I am carrying Taxes, from last two years, all credit cards, banks statements. I do not know what else to carry, and what type of questions will be asked and how to respond, please help me.

Thanks.

Are you able to come back? Please let me know what questions did they ask at POE. My dad is in same situation