Requirements to fulfill right after getting the GC

vine95050

Registered Users (C)
I recently got my I-485 approved. What are the things one must do after getting the GC?

1. Do we have to fill out the I-9 form at our existing work or is it only for new jobs?

2. We have to change the Social Security card to get rid of the USCIS warning on permission to work..

Is there anything else we are required to or we should do? Thanks for your time.

A1: Actually it is the employer's responsibility. However nothing is stopping you from approaching your HR and informing them of your status change. It is their call after that.
A2: Actually an I-551 is a USCIS authorisation allowing you to work. So you can live with the legend (if you want) until you become a US citizen. It is your call.

1. Do we have to fill out the I-9 form at our existing work or is it only for new jobs?

2. We have to change the Social Security card to get rid of the USCIS warning on permission to work..

1. Yes, you will need to fill out I9 form and provide it to your employer. This
way, you are counted off from non-resident alien statistics. You are required to notify your employer of your change in legal status.

2. Wait for, say, three weeks and go to your nearest SSN Office and fill
out the form and tell them that you want to have the annotation removed from your card. You will get a new card w/o the annotation by mail after two/three weeks, though the number would remain "as is".

3. Wait for your GC and do the above. If you didn't get the card within
30 working days, then go to your nearby USCIS Office and get a stamp (I551) on your passport so you can travel outside the country in case of emergency.

Above are required thingys.

You could also do the following:

1. Use AR11 to notify your current address. Although it is not a must, I would recommend you to do this and keep a copy of the letter.

2. Save the approval notice for I485

3. Keep track of the dates of your travel in & out of the US

Most importantly, keep your GC with you at all times; if not possible,
keep it with you at least when you are travelling within the US.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

I recently got my I-485 approved. What are the things one must do after getting the GC?

Is there anything else we are required to or we should do? Thanks for your time.

A2: Actually an I-551 is a USCIS authorisation allowing you to work. So you can live with the legend (if you want) until you become a US citizen. It is your call.
The SS web site says you are supposed to inform them when you change your immigration or citizenship status. However, I don't think there is any penalty for failing to notify SS that you have upgraded your status (i.e. either from nonimmigrant to green card, or green card to citizen), other than having problems with getting certain benefits which your new status makes available to you.

One advantage of having the SS card without the employment restriction is that it can be combined with a driver's license or state ID as evidence of legal employability when filling out the I-9, without having to show your green card. So if you ever lose your green card and need to change jobs while you wait for the replacement, having the new SS card would help.

I remember about 5 years or so back, one of my friends had become a PR and he went abroad for a visit. When he came back, at the POE, he was questioned about his SS#. I don't remember the exact details, but when he told me about this episode, he did mention that he was asked to notify the SS office about his new status. There was also some question about where he had initially received the SS# from.

Stoned!

Thanks for your responses - Triple Citizen, howdy_howdy, Jackolantern, and StonedAnt. I appreciate it.

I got an email notification from my lawyer's office that once I receive the green card I need to fill out the I-9 form at work.

I guess the "to do" list for a new PR could be as follows:

1. Make sure that you receive the card, if not, after 30 days go to the local uscis office to get I-551 stamp

Once you receive the card or I-551 stamp
2. Fill out I-9 (mandatory)
3. Modify the SS card (optional, but advisable)

Other useful tips (from howdy_howdy's post)
a. Use AR11 to notify your current address. Although it is not a must, I would recommend you to do this and keep a copy of the letter.

b. Save the approval notice for I485

c. Keep track of the dates of your travel in & out of the US

d. Most importantly, keep your GC with you at all times; if not possible,
keep it with you at least when you are travelling within the US.

I guess this sums up what you all posted. Please add/modify if I missed sth. Thank you very much!

One question I forgot to ask - do you still keep your monthly paystubs after getting the GC? I guess this could be relevant if you apply for citizenship down the road; I'm not sure.. Thanks!

One question I forgot to ask - do you still keep your monthly paystubs after getting the GC? I guess this could be relevant if you apply for citizenship down the road; I'm not sure.. Thanks!
If they're concerned about your employment, they're usually satisfied with seeing W-2s and/or tax transcripts, rather than paystubs (which are easier to forge and harder to verify).

You must fill out an AR-11 everytime you move, even as a GC holder. This is not just a nice to do, but a must do and one of the requirements for a GC holder. Don't skip this step and keep photocopies of all AR-11's you file from now on.

As for the SSN change, it's a very simple process. Mine took less than 10 minutes at the SSN office (just had to fill out a form and turn in my old card, and you can do it at any local SSN office) and I got the new card within 3 weeks.

You must fill out an AR-11 everytime you move, even as a GC holder. This is not just a nice to do, but a must do and one of the requirements for a GC holder.
However, AR-11 is only a requirement if you have actually moved; it is not required when you changed status from something else to green card without moving.