Renew TN Visa by Mail

ayalaV

Hello,

I have a TN Visa and is going to expire in February, I know that I can renew it by mail but can't find information about this process,

where do I send the information?

Currently I'm living in Wisconsin.

Hope somebody can help me

Thanks

Your employer will fill form I-129. have them go to USCIS website for latest form and instructions. It's all there.

I have the same question. Can someone post the link for the exact requirements for "renew by mail" and the forms ?
I went online and found I had to pay to download form I-129 ?!
thanks

Thanks, Nelsona.
Is I-129 + I-94 + $325 all I need to send for "renew for TN extension by mail" ?

Thanks, Nelsona.
Is I-129 + I-94 + $325 all I need to send for "renew for TN extension by mail" ?

You need to send COPIES of your i-94, your educational proof, and your passport. Plus ORIGINAL I-129, and TN letter, plus checque.

I have another question related to this. My TN will expire on the end of june 2011 and we just found my wife is pregnant :eek:, with baby's due date for the 2nd half of July... my question is, can I keep on working on current TN if my I94 expires before I receive my renewal??

I don't want my wife to make the travel on that stage of pregnancy and I'm also afraid that if as a Mexican I go on the route of a CP for my renewal, they might deny it or refuse to renew until my baby's born.

USCIS site asks for Non-Inmmigrants to apply for EOS 45 days before I94 expires and that it could take up to 90 days for it to be approved. Luckily we'll get it approved fast or denied after baby's birth.

Any ideas if TN renewal is denied? Can you appeal on a denied TN EOS while on the US?

We are on a bind here so now it's a good time to start addressing this situation.

I have another question related to this. My TN will expire on the end of june 2011 and we just found my wife is pregnant :eek:, with baby's due date for the 2nd half of July... my question is, can I keep on working on current TN if my I94 expires before I receive my renewal??

I don't want my wife to make the travel on that stage of pregnancy and I'm also afraid that if as a Mexican I go on the route of a CP for my renewal, they might deny it or refuse to renew until my baby's born.

USCIS site asks for Non-Inmmigrants to apply for EOS 45 days before I94 expires and that it could take up to 90 days for it to be approved. Luckily we'll get it approved fast or denied after baby's birth.

Any ideas if TN renewal is denied? Can you appeal on a denied TN EOS while on the US?

We are on a bind here so now it's a good time to start addressing this situation.

Once you file a proper application, before the I-94 expires, you will be in a "period of authorized stay" so if your I-94 expires before USCIS approves your extension, that will not be "unlawful presence". It is highly unlikely to be denied becuase it was hard to get in the first place and you had to deal with a Consulate. When your employer submits an I-129 for you, don't forget an I-539 for any dependent(s). Also, if your kid is born in the U.S., the child will be a USC (Mexico recognizes dual nationality but not dual citizenship for your child). See excerpt below.
8 CFR 214.1 Requirements for admission, extension, and maintenance of status.

(c) Extensions of stay —(1) Filing on Form I–129. An employer seeking the services of an E–1, E–2, H–1B, H–2A, H–2B, H–3, L–1, O–1, O–2, P–1, P–2, P–3, Q–1, R–1, or TN nonimmigrant beyond the period previously granted, must petition for an extension of stay on Form I–129. The petition must be filed with the fee required in §103.7 of this chapter, and the initial evidence specified in §214.2, and on the petition form. Dependents holding derivative status may be included in the petition if it is for only one worker and the form version specifically provides for their inclusion. In all other cases dependents of the worker should file on Form I–539.

(5) Decision in Form I–129 or I–539 extension proceedings. Where an applicant or petitioner demonstrates eligibility for a requested extension, it may be granted at the discretion of the Service. There is no appeal from the denial of an application for extension of stay filed on Form I–129 or I–539.
NOTE: When there is no appeal allowed, a Motion to Reopen and/or Reconsider may be submitted per:
8 CFR 103.5 Reopening or reconsideration.

(a) Motions to reopen or reconsider in other than special agricultural worker and legalization cases —(1) When filed by affected party —(i) General. Except where the Board has jurisdiction and as otherwise provided in 8 CFR parts 3, 210, 242 and 245a, when the affected party files a motion, the official having jurisdiction may, for proper cause shown, reopen the proceeding or reconsider the prior decision. Motions to reopen or reconsider are not applicable to proceedings described in §274a.9 of this chapter. Any motion to reconsider an action by the Service filed by an applicant or petitioner must be filed within 30 days of the decision that the motion seeks to reconsider. Any motion to reopen a proceeding before the Service filed by an applicant or petitioner, must be filed within 30 days of the decision that the motion seeks to reopen, except that failure to file before this period expires, may be excused in the discretion of the Service where it is demonstrated that the delay was reasonable and was beyond the control of the applicant or petitioner.
8 CFR 214.6 Citizens of Canada or Mexico seeking temporary entry under NAFTA to engage in business activities at a professional level.

(h) Extension of stay. (1) Filing. A United States employer of a citizen of Canada or Mexico who is currently maintaining valid TN nonimmigrant status, or a United States entity (in the case of a citizen of Canada or Mexico who is currently maintaining valid TN nonimmigrant status and is employed by a foreign employer), may request an extension of stay, subject to the following conditions:

(i) An extension of stay must be requested by filing the appropriate form with the fee provided at 8 CFR 103.7(b)(1), in accordance with the form instructions with USCIS.

(ii) The beneficiary must be physically present in the United States at the time of the filing of the appropriate form requesting an extension of stay as a TN nonimmigrant. If the alien is required to leave the United States for any reason while the petition is pending, the petitioner may request that USCIS notify the consular office where the beneficiary is required to apply for a visa or, if visa exempt, a DHS-designated port-of-entry where the beneficiary will apply for admission to the United States, of the approval.

(iii) An extension of stay in TN status may be approved by USCIS for a maximum period of three years.

(iv) There is no specific limit on the total period of time an alien may be in TN status provided the alien continues to be engaged in TN business activities for a U.S. employer or entity at a professional level, and otherwise continues to properly maintain TN nonimmigrant status.
FROM: http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/3219-mexican-dual-citizenship

"The law permits Mexican dual nationality but not dual citizenship, a distinction that will prevent dual nationals from voting in Mexican elections or holding high office here. Some Mexican Americans are now pushing for full voting rights in Mexican elections. Among the most significant changes in the new law is the removal of investment restrictions imposed on foreigners in Mexico, which some expect to unleash greater capital flows by Mexican nationals to Mexico.

As of March 20, 1998, Mexican law recognizes dual nationality for Mexicans by birth, those born in Mexico or those born abroad to Mexican parents. U. S. Citizens who are also Mexican nationals should be aware that they will be considered Mexican by local authorities and that dual nationality status may hamper U.S. government efforts to provide consular protection. Dual nationals will not, however, be subject to compulsory military service. Travelers possessing both U.S. and Mexican nationalities must carry with them proof of their citizenship in both countries. Under Mexican law, dual nationals entering or departing Mexico must identify themselves as Mexican or face a stiff fine. Under U.S. law, U.S. citizens must enter the U.S. territory with documents proving U.S. citizenship...."

Last edited by a moderator: