Religious Asylum from Iran

Salam Doostan,
sharing my experience here:

- San Francisco Office
- Filed I-589 on MAR2015
- Interviewed on JUN2017
- Been 6 months and im still waiting to hear from asylum office.
- When I check my case number (ZSF X X X X X X X X X X) in USCIS case status website I get:

My Case Status does not recognize the receipt number entered. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.
Does any body know why? Is that what all of you asylum pending guys see when you check the website? (I saw some folks had this issue until the day they got approved but I just want to confirm there is no other issue here)

Will share updates as soon as I hear from asylum office.

Has anybody heard/experienced a case where an asylum pending person files I-485 (Adjustment of Status) through their current employers? i.e. employer applies for the green card while we are asylum pending? It seems that for us to apply for adjustment of status we need to hold a valid status and asylum pending is in a gray area. I talked to different lawyers and it seems that there is no where in the law the clearly says asylum pending is NOT a status (and there is also nowhere that says it IS a valid status).
If you have heard of any cases please please let me know!

Has anybody heard/experienced a case where an asylum pending person files I-485 (Adjustment of Status) through their current employers? i.e. employer applies for the green card while we are asylum pending? It seems that for us to apply for adjustment of status we need to hold a valid status and asylum pending is in a gray area. I talked to different lawyers and it seems that there is no where in the law the clearly says asylum pending is NOT a status (and there is also nowhere that says it IS a valid status).

Under a post in asylumist.com called: The Perils and Pitfalls of Applying for a Green Card
Sanela has asked the same question as I did and Jason (seems that he is a good lawyer) replied:
"... if your only status in the US is asylum pending, you would need to leave the US and get the GC overseas. Depending on your case, this may or may not be possible. You need to find a lawyer who cab advise you about this ..."

seems that this lawyer also thinks that its not possible to be in the US and apply for adjustment of Status via employer while in asylum pending status.
I still want to hear about your experiences. Thanks

Your case is approved. I’m so happy for you.
You will receive the approval notice and it will tell you how the process is going on.
Congratulations.
Enjoy your freedom dear Sanaz ☺️☺️☺️
Hi,
Where are you???????I sent you a lot of messages but no answer yet!!! :( Could you please answer me? I have new question.
I would appreciate it all your kind help.

Salam Doostan,

- San Francisco Office
- Filed I-589 on MAR2015
- Interviewed on JUN2017
- When I check my case number (ZSF X X X X X X X X X X) in USCIS case status website I get:

My Case Status does not recognize the receipt number entered. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.
Does any body know why? Is that what all of you asylum pending guys see when you check the website? (I saw some folks had this issue until the day they got approved but I just want to confirm there is no other issue here)

salam

can you share some of the important and challenging questions that you were asked?

salam

can you share some of the important and challenging questions that you were asked?

Officer asked about my ceremony day and I described every details.
She asked about why i converted.
I think she also asked about the dangers and whether i can keep it in my heart or not.
You need to know your statement of declaration by heart and make sure not to say anything conflicting.

Salam Doostan,

- San Francisco Office
- Filed I-589 on MAR2015
- Interviewed on JUN2017

My case number for the asylum application is the same, it does not recognize it. I think it is quite normal. The other one for work permit application works.

Hi everyone,
I have a question. I have applied for Travel document On October. And I did my fingerprint on Dec 6. Do you know how long it will take me to receive my travel document after fingerprint?
The other question, is it possible that I stay out of the US for about three months?
Thank you in advance!

It is not possible! If you are in the US only base on pending asylum case, then it means you do not have an status to adjust. You should wait for the result of your asylum case!

It is not possible! If you are in the US only base on pending asylum case, then it means you do not have an status to adjust. You should wait for the result of your asylum case!

This is NOT true! It is possible to process AOS with pending asylum petitions.

There are people in this forum with pending asylum petitions who successfully processed AOS based on diversity visa lottery selection. The asylum petition was closed after they got their lottery visa based GC.

This is NOT true! It is possible to process AOS with pending asylum petitions.

There are people in this forum with pending asylum petitions who successfully processed AOS based on diversity visa lottery selection. The asylum petition was closed after they got their lottery visa based GC.
If you are an asylum applicant, and IF YOU ARE ON LEGAL NONIMIGRANT STATUS like F-1 or H1B or...then you can pursue other routs to adjust your status.
The only case that you can apply for green card while you are on pending asylum case is through the marriage. (not 100% sure).
But if you are in the US based ONLY on your asylum case, then you will not be eligible to adjust your status from other routs. (get green card from sponsorship, NIW...). I have talked to lawyers and DOS representative in my university...

If you are an asylum applicant, and IF YOU ARE ON LEGAL NONIMIGRANT STATUS like F-1 or H1B or...then you can pursue other routs to adjust your status.
The only case that you can apply for green card while you are on pending asylum case is through the marriage. (not 100% sure).
But if you are in the US based ONLY on your asylum case, then you will not be eligible to adjust your status from other routs. (get green card from sponsorship, NIW...). I have talked to lawyers and DOS representative in my university...

Your initial post to the OP says was a flat out “it is not possible” - and I maintain, that is wrong!
Then you return to say it may be possible to adjust based on marriage, but you’re not 100% sure. Followed by another conflicting statement about it not possible. And this is not even from an official source.

Again I say it is possible, it is case by case dependent. Several asylum pending candidates have successfully adjusted status based on diversity visa lottery. Search for @kukilaska in DV 2014 AOS only Thread, and @Grateful516 on DV 2017 AOS Only Thread. Read their stories.

Pending Asylum is NOT a legal status, it is an an “authorized stay”. There is no status to adjust. I got this from a RELIABLE source. (An immigration attorney)

"One of the most common misconception is that a person who came to the United States in some legal status (let’s say J1, F1 or B) can create a bridge in his/her legal status with an asylum application necessary for a successful employment based application. I have to disappoint all those who believe that pending asylum application provides any “legal” status in the United States. It does not. All it provides is an “authorized stay”, a permission to stay and at some point engage in employment in the United States. “Asylum pending” in fact is not a legal non-immigrant status necessary for effective change or extension of status, or adjustment of status when there is a gap between the priority date, first legal status and I-485 filing date. So, let’s say Masha came on a F1 visa on January 1, 2020. Masha’s F1 status expired on June 1, 2020. On May 25, 2020 Masha filed for asylum. On January 1, 2022, while Masha’s asylum application was still pending, Masha found an employer ready to file for green card. Masha was under impression that filing for asylum “saved” her “legal status” in the United States. In fact, it did not. For Masha to receive an employment based green card, she would have to leave the United States and go to a consulate… in a country she was asking asylum from! (most likely).

The only “positive” in this scenario is that since Masha’s F1 status expired on June 1, 2020, she did not accumulate unlawful presence from that date until her application is denied (if not granted), and she would not be subject 3/10 year bars of unlawful presence if she has to travel outside the United States.

Also, while an applicant for asylum is waiting for his/her interview, it is possible to apply for an advance parole: a permission to travel outside the country and return. Please note that it is still risky to do so, as advance parole does not guarantee an admission back to the United States. Another benefit of pending asylum, is, of course, an employment authorization that an applicant can file for once 150 days elapse form the time he/she filed for asylum. The application, however, will not be granted until 180 days pass from the time the asylum application was accepted by USCIS. Those who are in removal proceedings and have pending asylum applications cannot file for an advance parole, but can file for a work authorization."

Salam be hamgei doostan,

I am currently on my OPT and have applied for asylum on January 2018 as I converted on September 2017, and waiting for my interview that might be these days. I appreciate if you could share your experiences and possible questions that I might face during my interview. Any experience with Houston Office? I have told that Houston officers are though! :( I have converted to a branch of Hinduism that there might not be a lot of people in Iran who practice it and I am not aware of their condition there. mamnoon misham ke har nazar va tajrobei darin begin, I am under stress.

Any good lawyer contact info in TX?

Dear all,
I found this post on the internet, and felt happy that there is a iranian post here about asylum. I applied for asylum by myself four months after I arrived, and got rejected due to lack of harm! I born zoroastrian in Iran, and I thought there is no way that I wouldn't grant asylum! Anyway, now here I am, need a good lawyer in Houston, TX to take my case. What are my chances to re-apply for asylum?

:( Any up date?

Hi all,
I need your experiences to travel with travel documents. Did anyone travel with travel documents after received grant asylum? without the green card? and if I want to travel two times one time 20 days and second times 45 day is it ok? doesn't it affect my case while I want to apply for green card? Also, when do I eligible to apply for green card? after one year or after 9 months? Thank you in advance if anyone can help I really appreciate it.

doostan mamnoon misham ke share bokonid tajrobatoon ro. chon LIFO shode systemeshun kasani ke apply mikonan dige zamane ziadi nadaran ke bekhan search bokonan va etelaat jam konan, banabarin tajrobeye shoma mitune kheyli komak bokone toye zamane mahdood. Mammnon az hamegi.

doostan mamnoon misham ke share bokonid tajrobatoon ro. chon LIFO shode systemeshun kasani ke apply mikonan dige zamane ziadi nadaran ke bekhan search bokonan va etelaat jam konan, banabarin tajrobeye shoma mitune kheyli komak bokone toye zamane mahdood. Mammnon az hamegi.

Please post in English only. Thank you.