Religious Asylum from Iran

Persian37

Registered Users (C)
I am an applicant for religious asylum, from Iran. I have currently applied for asylum status through an attorney in Virginia. Through this thread, I would like to share my experience with others, may it be of any assistance.

I have been born in Iran, to a Muslim family. I arrived to United States, on August 2012, and officially and genuinely changed my religion from Islam to Baha'i faith in October 2012. I am legally present in the U.S under F2 visa status. According to Islamic law in Iran, I will be subject to persecution and death penalty since I have converted to another religion.

My attorney has filed the application of February 13th, 2013, and I received my biometrics notice within ten days, and went to USCIS for finger print on the same day. I have not received any notice for my interview yet. My attorney charged me USD 5,000 for her services.

I am very anxious for the interview, and hope for a favorable result since my life depends on it. I will update any progress for future reference of those going through this process.

In the meantime, I would highly appreciate if anyone could share his/her experience of asylum interview, how it went, and what to expect.

Dear friends, please pray for me.

Hi dear persian

Few days ago I saw a movie witch could be helpful before going to Asylum interview. Its name is " well-founded fear'' and is a documentary film, an in-depth look at the asylum process of the federal U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). you can see many type of cases, interviews, reactions and results.

wish you a good luck

Hi dear persian

Few days ago I saw a movie witch could be helpful before going to Asylum interview. Its name is " well-founded fear'' and is a documentary film, an in-depth look at the asylum process of the federal U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). you can see many type of cases, interviews, reactions and results.

wish you a good luck

Many thanks for the information. I will watch the movie.

Today I got my interview notice, it is scheduled for 25th. I am super-stressed! Please pray for me.

Today I got my interview notice, it is scheduled for 25th. I am super-stressed! Please pray for me.

salam dada ia abji :)

do not panic ... I had exactly the same situation... I got the recommendation approval in 7 days! But I am still waiting for the final approval (which is just background check and not related to my interview) ... all officers know about the country condition these days! you will be OK and happy next month :D

Great! I'm so happy for you, Don't worry at all, you need practice the interview with your spouse to feel better and more confident.looking forward and counting down to hear what happend in your interview, promiss me to come and write about it.

wish you Good luck

Btw, I found this article helpful, its some sample interview questions. Check it out:

The following is a sample of some (but possibly not all) of the potential questions that may be asked during an asylum interview. Some of these questions may not be asked due to relevancy as it relates to your particular matter. This list is not meant to act or serve as the substitute for the advice and legal representation of an experienced immigration lawyer that is familiar with the facts and circumstances regarding your case:

1. Your complete name
a. Your current address
b. Your date of birth
c. The current address of your spouse
d. The city and country of your birth
e. Your present citizenship
f. The race, ethnic, or tribal group in which you are a member
i. Your sexual orientation
ii. You religion
iii. Any health problems, genetic conditions, disabilities, or birth defects that are relevant to your application for asylum or removal of withholding
g. Your level of education
i. When and where did you attend school
h. Your employment history for the past 5 years
i. Name, city and country of birth, and current location of parents and siblings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Marital status
a. Full name of your spouse
b. Spouse’s date of birth
c. Address of your spouse
d. Date of marriage
e. Place of marriage
f. City and country of birth of your spouse
g. Spouse’s present citizenship
h. Is your spouse currently in the United States
i. The race, ethnic, or tribal group in which your spouse is a member (if relevant)
i. Your spouse’s sexual orientation (if relevant)
ii. You spouse’s religion (if relevant)
iii. Any health problems, genetic conditions, disabilities, or birth defects that are relevant to your application for asylum or removal of withholding concerning your spouse
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Number of child(ren) that you have
a. Full Name(s)
b. Date(s) of birth
c. Current address(es)
i. Where are your child(ren) now
d. Name of their other parent
e. Race, ethnic, or tribal group
f. Child(ren)’s citizenship(s)
g. Are your child(ren) in immigration court proceedings
h. Current US immigration status of your children, if any
i. Date of last entry into the United States
i. Status when last admitted
ii. Expiration date of child(ren)’s authorized stay, if any
j. Are the child(ren) to be included in your application for asylum?
k. The race, ethnic, or tribal group in which your child(ren) are members (if relevant)
i. Your child(rens) sexual orientation (if relevant)
ii. You child(rens) religion (if relevant)
iii. Any health problems, genetic conditions, disabilities, or birth defects that are relevant to your application for asylum or removal of withholding concerning your child(ren) (if relevant)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Do you understand the penalty for providing a false statement with respect to any material fact or for filing a frivolous application?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Have you ever been in immigration court proceedings in the past?
a. When
b. Where
c. Have you, your spouse, your children, your parents, or your siblings ever applied to the United States government for refugee status, asylum, or withholding of removal
i. What happened
ii. Is there a decision concerning that or those matters
iii. Were you included on the application
iv. If denied, have there been any changes in the conditions of your home country or your own personal circumstances since the date of the denial which may affect your eligibility for asylum? (explain in full detail)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. When did you last leave your home country
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. List each entry into the United States beginning with your most recent entry?
a. Date
b. Place of Entry
c. Status when you entered
d. Date current status expires, if any
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. What country issued your last passport or travel document?
a. Passport number
b. Passport expiration date
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. What is your native language?
a. Are you fluent in English?
b. What other languages do you speak fluently?
10. Are you seeking asylum or withholding of removal based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion, membership in a particular social group and/or the Convention Against Torture
a. Have you, your family, or close friends or colleagues ever experienced harm or mistreatment or threats in the past by anyone?
b. What happened (be as graphic and detailed as possible)
c. When did the harm or mistreatment or threats occur
d. Who caused the harm or mistreatment or threats
e. Why do you believe the harm or mistreatment or threats occurred
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Do you fear harm or mistreatment if you return to your home country
a. What harm or mistreatment do you fear
b. Who do you believe would harm or mistreat you
c. Why do you believe you would or could be harmed or mistreated
12. Have you or your family members ever been accused, charged, arrested, detained, interrogated, convicted, sentenced, or imprisoned in any country other than the United States
a. What are the circumstances and reasons for what occurred (be as graphic and detailed as possible)
13. Have you or your family members ever belonged to or been associated with any organizations or groups in your home country, such as, but not limited to, a political party, student group, labor union, religious organization, military or paramilitary group, civil patrol, guerrilla organization, ethnic group, human rights group, or the press or media?
a. Describe for each person
i. the level of participation,
ii. any leadership or other positions held,
iii. and the length of time you or your family members were involved in each organization or activity (be as detailed as possible)
b. Do you or your family members continue to participate in any way in these organizations or groups?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14. Are you afraid of being subject to torture in your home country to which you may be returned?
a. Why are you afraid
b. What is the torture you fear
c. Who do you fear will commit the torture
d. Why do you believe that the torture would be inflicted
e. Have you received any sort of emotional or psychological harm as a result of your treatment in your home country?
i. Have you sought professional treatment for a psychological condition such as post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, nightmares?
ii. What is the name and address of the person treating your condition?
f. Were you physically harmed in your home country in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal?
i. When
ii. How were you physically harmed.
iii. Any photographs, scars, injuries, or medical reports to substantiate the harm suffered
g. Have you ever been forced to live in filth, isolation, or cramped conditions in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal?
i. Describe the conditions
ii. Have you ever been deprived of basic necessities in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal?
1. Describe this in full detail
iii. Have you ever been subjected to watch or hear other persons tortured in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal? Describe this in full detail.
iv. Have you been subject to constant surveillance in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal? Describe this in full detail.
v. Have you been forced to inform on other’s activities in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal? Describe this in full detail.
vi. Have you been prevented from socializing with others in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal? Describe this in full detail.
h. Have you ever been deprived of supporting yourself and/or your family because of not being allowed to work, being denied a license, receiving a substantial fine, or having property seized? Describe this in full detail.
i. Could you have moved to another part of your home country in order to avoid the harm that you have or will suffer in your home country.
j. Was the persecution that you experienced at the hands of the government of your home country, or a group within your home country that the government cannot or will not control.
i. If the harm was caused by a group, was their activity or behavior reported to the police?
ii. Did the police take any action to address the situation?
iii. If you returned today, would you be protected based upon any recent or subsequent actions by the police, or any subsequent facts and circumstances.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15. Are the conditions that lead you to leave your home country and file this application for asylum or withholding of removal still in existence today.
16. After leaving the country from which you are claiming asylum, did you or your spouse or child(ren) who are now in the United States travel through or reside in any other country before entering the United States? Have you, your spouse, your children, or other family members such as your parents or siblings, ever applied for or received any lawful status in any country other than the one from which you are now claiming asylum?
a. If so, provide the following information
i. Name of each country
ii. The length of stay
iii. The status of each person while in that country
iv. The reason for leaving that country
v. Are you or anyone allowed to return to that country for lawful residence purposes
vi. Whether or not you or anyone applied for refugee status or for asylum while there? Why or why not? What was the decision on any application for asylum or refugee status?
17. Have you, your spouse, or your children even ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in causing harm or suffering to any person because of his or her race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or belief in a particular political opinion?
a. Describe in detail any such involvement and your own, your spouse’s or you children’s involvement
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18. After you left the country where you were harmed or fear harm, did you return to that country?
a. If so describe in detail the circumstances of you visit or visits
i. Why did you go
ii. Where did you go
iii. How long did you stay
iv. Did anything eventful happen during that trip
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19. Are you filing the application more than one year after your last arrival to the United States?
a. Why didn’t you file within the first year after your arrival?
b. Are there any extraordinary circumstances that prevented the application from being filed within 1 year
20. Have you or any member of your family included in the application ever committed any crime and/or been arrested, charged, convicted, and/or sentenced for any crimes in the United States?
a. What occurred?
b. Date of the allegation?
c. Were you or your family member imprisoned for that crime? Where and for how long?
d. Were you or your family member convicted of any offense? What Offense?
21. What documentation, if any do you have concerning your application for asylum or withholding or removal
a. Do you have any affidavits, new articles, country reports, photographs, etc. to substantiate your claim
b. Do you have any other witnesses to attest to the circumstances concerning your application for asylum or withholding of removal

do not panic ... I had exactly the same situation... I got the recommendation approval in 7 days! But I am still waiting for the final approval (which is just background check and not related to my interview) ... all officers know about the country condition these days! you will be OK and happy next month :D

Sounds we have a small Persian community here:) salam :)
Hope your background check finalizes quickly, Actually you passed it once successfully before entering US.

Your experience is such a big help. If its OK, please share your interview questions.

Thank you
wish you the best.

Sounds we have a small Persian community here:) salam :)
Hope your background check finalizes quickly, Actually you passed it once successfully before entering US.

Your experience is such a big help. If its OK, please share your interview questions.

Thank you
wish you the best.

Officer did not asked about the religion. He did not know that the penalty of apostasy is death in Islam.
Just asked why I converted to other faith and why I want to advertise it. This would be your question too : why you do not come back and keep your new faith in your heart? the answer of this question is very important ! think about that!

Any advices?!

Hi,
I'm from Iran too ;) and I filed my case about 120 days ago after I converted from Islam to christianity..
I did the fingerprint 2weeks after that, but I didn't receive any interview appointment yet!
I'm kind of nervous now, and I'm not sure if this it normal or not
Can anybody tell me if I can apply for work permit and SSN after 150 days left even in this situation?

Wish luck for all of you!

Officer did not asked about the religion. He did not know that the penalty of apostasy is death in Islam.
Just asked why I converted to other faith and why I want to advertise it. This would be your question too : why you do not come back and keep your new faith in your heart? the answer of this question is very important ! think about that!

woow, such a smart question, and Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate it.

Congrats!

Dada it is:)

Thank you brother/sister, and congratulations for the approval! Have you got your Working Authorization too? Or you will be getting it after background check? How long does background check usually take?

Great! I'm so happy for you, Don't worry at all, you need practice the interview with your spouse to feel better and more confident.looking forward and counting down to hear what happend in your interview, promiss me to come and write about it.

wish you Good luck

Btw, I found this article helpful, its some sample interview questions. Check it out:

The following is a sample of some (but possibly not all) of the potential questions that may be asked during an asylum interview. Some of these questions may not be asked due to relevancy as it relates to your particular matter. This list is not meant to act or serve as the substitute for the advice and legal representation of an experienced immigration lawyer that is familiar with the facts and circumstances regarding your case:

1. Your complete name
a. Your current address
b. Your date of birth
c. The current address of your spouse
d. The city and country of your birth
e. Your present citizenship
f. The race, ethnic, or tribal group in which you are a member
i. Your sexual orientation
ii. You religion
iii. Any health problems, genetic conditions, disabilities, or birth defects that are relevant to your application for asylum or removal of withholding
g. Your level of education
i. When and where did you attend school
h. Your employment history for the past 5 years
i. Name, city and country of birth, and current location of parents and siblings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Marital status
a. Full name of your spouse
b. Spouse’s date of birth
c. Address of your spouse
d. Date of marriage
e. Place of marriage
f. City and country of birth of your spouse
g. Spouse’s present citizenship
h. Is your spouse currently in the United States
i. The race, ethnic, or tribal group in which your spouse is a member (if relevant)
i. Your spouse’s sexual orientation (if relevant)
ii. You spouse’s religion (if relevant)
iii. Any health problems, genetic conditions, disabilities, or birth defects that are relevant to your application for asylum or removal of withholding concerning your spouse
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Number of child(ren) that you have
a. Full Name(s)
b. Date(s) of birth
c. Current address(es)
i. Where are your child(ren) now
d. Name of their other parent
e. Race, ethnic, or tribal group
f. Child(ren)’s citizenship(s)
g. Are your child(ren) in immigration court proceedings
h. Current US immigration status of your children, if any
i. Date of last entry into the United States
i. Status when last admitted
ii. Expiration date of child(ren)’s authorized stay, if any
j. Are the child(ren) to be included in your application for asylum?
k. The race, ethnic, or tribal group in which your child(ren) are members (if relevant)
i. Your child(rens) sexual orientation (if relevant)
ii. You child(rens) religion (if relevant)
iii. Any health problems, genetic conditions, disabilities, or birth defects that are relevant to your application for asylum or removal of withholding concerning your child(ren) (if relevant)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Do you understand the penalty for providing a false statement with respect to any material fact or for filing a frivolous application?
5. Have you ever been in immigration court proceedings in the past?
a. When
b. Where
c. Have you, your spouse, your children, your parents, or your siblings ever applied to the United States government for refugee status, asylum, or withholding of removal
i. What happened
ii. Is there a decision concerning that or those matters
iii. Were you included on the application
iv. If denied, have there been any changes in the conditions of your home country or your own personal circumstances since the date of the denial which may affect your eligibility for asylum? (explain in full detail)
6. When did you last leave your home country
7. List each entry into the United States beginning with your most recent entry?
a. Date
b. Place of Entry
c. Status when you entered
d. Date current status expires, if any
8. What country issued your last passport or travel document?
a. Passport number
b. Passport expiration date
9. What is your native language?
a. Are you fluent in English?
b. What other languages do you speak fluently?
10. Are you seeking asylum or withholding of removal based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion, membership in a particular social group and/or the Convention Against Torture
a. Have you, your family, or close friends or colleagues ever experienced harm or mistreatment or threats in the past by anyone?
b. What happened (be as graphic and detailed as possible)
c. When did the harm or mistreatment or threats occur
d. Who caused the harm or mistreatment or threats
e. Why do you believe the harm or mistreatment or threats occurred
11. Do you fear harm or mistreatment if you return to your home country
a. What harm or mistreatment do you fear
b. Who do you believe would harm or mistreat you
c. Why do you believe you would or could be harmed or mistreated
12. Have you or your family members ever been accused, charged, arrested, detained, interrogated, convicted, sentenced, or imprisoned in any country other than the United States
a. What are the circumstances and reasons for what occurred (be as graphic and detailed as possible)
13. Have you or your family members ever belonged to or been associated with any organizations or groups in your home country, such as, but not limited to, a political party, student group, labor union, religious organization, military or paramilitary group, civil patrol, guerrilla organization, ethnic group, human rights group, or the press or media?
a. Describe for each person
i. the level of participation,
ii. any leadership or other positions held,
iii. and the length of time you or your family members were involved in each organization or activity (be as detailed as possible)
b. Do you or your family members continue to participate in any way in these organizations or groups?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14. Are you afraid of being subject to torture in your home country to which you may be returned?
a. Why are you afraid
b. What is the torture you fear
c. Who do you fear will commit the torture
d. Why do you believe that the torture would be inflicted
e. Have you received any sort of emotional or psychological harm as a result of your treatment in your home country?
i. Have you sought professional treatment for a psychological condition such as post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, nightmares?
ii. What is the name and address of the person treating your condition?
f. Were you physically harmed in your home country in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal?
i. When
ii. How were you physically harmed.
iii. Any photographs, scars, injuries, or medical reports to substantiate the harm suffered
g. Have you ever been forced to live in filth, isolation, or cramped conditions in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal?
i. Describe the conditions
ii. Have you ever been deprived of basic necessities in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal?
1. Describe this in full detail
iii. Have you ever been subjected to watch or hear other persons tortured in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal? Describe this in full detail.
iv. Have you been subject to constant surveillance in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal? Describe this in full detail.
v. Have you been forced to inform on other’s activities in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal? Describe this in full detail.
vi. Have you been prevented from socializing with others in a manner related to your petition for asylum or withholding of removal? Describe this in full detail.
h. Have you ever been deprived of supporting yourself and/or your family because of not being allowed to work, being denied a license, receiving a substantial fine, or having property seized? Describe this in full detail.
i. Could you have moved to another part of your home country in order to avoid the harm that you have or will suffer in your home country.
j. Was the persecution that you experienced at the hands of the government of your home country, or a group within your home country that the government cannot or will not control.
i. If the harm was caused by a group, was their activity or behavior reported to the police?
ii. Did the police take any action to address the situation?
iii. If you returned today, would you be protected based upon any recent or subsequent actions by the police, or any subsequent facts and circumstances.
15. Are the conditions that lead you to leave your home country and file this application for asylum or withholding of removal still in existence today.
16. After leaving the country from which you are claiming asylum, did you or your spouse or child(ren) who are now in the United States travel through or reside in any other country before entering the United States? Have you, your spouse, your children, or other family members such as your parents or siblings, ever applied for or received any lawful status in any country other than the one from which you are now claiming asylum?
a. If so, provide the following information
i. Name of each country
ii. The length of stay
iii. The status of each person while in that country
iv. The reason for leaving that country
v. Are you or anyone allowed to return to that country for lawful residence purposes
vi. Whether or not you or anyone applied for refugee status or for asylum while there? Why or why not? What was the decision on any application for asylum or refugee status?
17. Have you, your spouse, or your children even ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in causing harm or suffering to any person because of his or her race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or belief in a particular political opinion?
a. Describe in detail any such involvement and your own, your spouse’s or you children’s involvement
18. After you left the country where you were harmed or fear harm, did you return to that country?
a. If so describe in detail the circumstances of you visit or visits
i. Why did you go
ii. Where did you go
iii. How long did you stay
iv. Did anything eventful happen during that trip
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19. Are you filing the application more than one year after your last arrival to the United States?
a. Why didn’t you file within the first year after your arrival?
b. Are there any extraordinary circumstances that prevented the application from being filed within 1 year
20. Have you or any member of your family included in the application ever committed any crime and/or been arrested, charged, convicted, and/or sentenced for any crimes in the United States?
a. What occurred?
b. Date of the allegation?
c. Were you or your family member imprisoned for that crime? Where and for how long?
d. Were you or your family member convicted of any offense? What Offense?
21. What documentation, if any do you have concerning your application for asylum or withholding or removal
a. Do you have any affidavits, new articles, country reports, photographs, etc. to substantiate your claim
b. Do you have any other witnesses to attest to the circumstances concerning your application for asylum or withholding of removal

I just finished the movie, and found it very useful. I highly recommend it to all asylum applicants, gives you an insight of what you must expect. And thank you for the informative article. I am going through the questions now.

That is a smart question, thanks for sharing. I would appreciate if you answer the following questions:

1- How long did your interview take?
2- Did the officer conduct a detailed examination of your knowledge about the new faith?

Hi,
I'm from Iran too ;) and I filed my case about 120 days ago after I converted from Islam to christianity..
I did the fingerprint 2weeks after that, but I didn't receive any interview appointment yet!
I'm kind of nervous now, and I'm not sure if this it normal or not
Can anybody tell me if I can apply for work permit and SSN after 150 days left even in this situation?

Wish luck for all of you!

-According to what I found out, you can apply for work authorization after 150 days of submission. But I recommend you to discuss that with your attorney.

- Which state are you residing in? There are a restricted number of asylum interview centers (I think 8), and if you are not in a state where there is an asylum interview center, it might take longer than expected.

Good luck:)

That is a smart question, thanks for sharing. I would appreciate if you answer the following questions:

1- How long did your interview take?
2- Did the officer conduct a detailed examination of your knowledge about the new faith?

1- 90 min

2-No ! he did not know any thing about that ... he said he would do research about apostasy in Islam and the new faith.

Dada it is:)

Thank you brother/sister, and congratulations for the approval! Have you got your Working Authorization too? Or you will be getting it after background check? How long does background check usually take?

I do not need the EAD because I am in F1 status and working for my university ... I do not want to work out of campus but if I wanted to I could apply for EAD right after receiving recommended approval.

-According to what I found out, you can apply for work authorization after 150 days of submission. But I recommend you to discuss that with your attorney.

- Which state are you residing in? There are a restricted number of asylum interview centers (I think 8), and if you are not in a state where there is an asylum interview center, it might take longer than expected.

Good luck:)

Thank you Persian37 for your response,

I'm currently in Ohio and I think my interview will be in Chicago. Do you have any information about this center? Or can you tell the maximum time of waiting for interview?

I'm currently in Ohio and I think my interview will be in Chicago. Do you have any information about this center? Or can you tell the maximum time of waiting for interview?

You are welcome brother. I do not have accurate information in that regard. But I hope you will successfully conduct your interview ASAP.

If you are in Ohio, you will be interviewed in a circuit ride location, possibly Cleveland, depending on where you are in Ohio. Since they don't send asylum officers to all circuit ride locations every week, your interview will have to wait till they have enough applications to keep the officers busy for a week's worth of interviews. If you want to be interviewed sooner you can contact the Chicago Asylum Office and ask if you can be interviewed in Chicago. If they can accommodate you they will schedule an interview in two or three weeks.