Religious Asylum from Iran

If you are in Ohio, you will be interviewed in a circuit ride location, possibly Cleveland, depending on where you are in Ohio. Since they don't send asylum officers to all circuit ride locations every week, your interview will have to wait till they have enough applications to keep the officers busy for a week's worth of interviews. If you want to be interviewed sooner you can contact the Chicago Asylum Office and ask if you can be interviewed in Chicago. If they can accommodate you they will schedule an interview in two or three weeks.

Thanks for the informations dear Majunznk,

What type of contact do you mean? Should I send them a letter, email or by phone?
I've never contacted them, is it better if my attorney ask them for changing my interview location?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys I went for interview on Monday. Unfortunately, the officer who was supposed to interview me called in sick on that day, and I have to wait so that a new interview is rescheduled for me. I guess have to wait another month again. I am so distressed :(

Guys I went for interview on Monday. Unfortunately, the officer who was supposed to interview me called in sick on that day, and I have to wait so that a new interview is rescheduled for me. I guess have to wait another month again. I am so distressed :(

do not worry! everything is going well enough!
prepare, but do not be over prepared or AO will think that it's fabricated story which u learned well enough...
my advice is to watch "Well founded fear" - it helped me very much (the only problem that we watched already after interview)

Thanks for the informations dear Majunznk,

What type of contact do you mean? Should I send them a letter, email or by phone?
I've never contacted them, is it better if my attorney ask them for changing my interview location?

Yes, either email or phone. If you have an attorney, you should probably have the attorney make the request.

do not worry! everything is going well enough!
prepare, but do not be over prepared or AO will think that it's fabricated story which u learned well enough...
my advice is to watch "Well founded fear" - it helped me very much (the only problem that we watched already after interview)
Thank you brother/sister, I watched the movie last week. Nothing is worse than waiting, I just hope I can get on with it ASAP.

Hi, do you guys know that if someone was not fluent in English, do the Asylum office offer her/he a translator for interview or not? actually I'm not fluent in English.

Hi, do you guys know that if someone was not fluent in English, do the Asylum office offer her/he a translator for interview or not? actually I'm not fluent in English.

If you are not fluent in English, you are responsible to bring a translator to the interview. The asylum office does not facilitate applicants with translators. I recommend you to talk to your attorney, and he/she will be able to connect you with a translator.

Thanks. I dont have attorney.

If you are not fluent in English, you are responsible to bring a translator to the interview. The asylum office does not facilitate applicants with translators. I recommend you to talk to your attorney, and he/she will be able to connect you with a translator.

Thank you all for your helpful information. I am an online English language tutor. One of my Iranian students hopes to enter the U.S., so this thread is extremely interesting and helpful. Any general tips that you would be willing to give would be much appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of evidence did you have?

salam dada ia abji :)

do not panic ... I had exactly the same situation... I got the recommendation approval in 7 days! But I am still waiting for the final approval (which is just background check and not related to my interview) ... all officers know about the country condition these days! you will be OK and happy next month :D

Hi there, I want to apply without a lawyer, what kind of docs did you have, I mean what kind of general docs did you have, was your case religous? because mine is? and one more question should I use specific template or format for my evidence, or just print them as I found the online?

do you recommend that I apply for relgious asylum without a lawyer?

Hi there,
I want to apply without a lawyer, do you recommend it? I am fluent in English and I can collect my own evidence, the only concern that i have is that I don't know what evidence is enough, I converted to Chrstianity after I met some christians 2 months ago, I didn't experience any real threat or prosecution before, I am from IRan, the reason I am seeking for asylum is that I can not come back to Iran and as you may know they will arrest me as soon as they know that I converted to Christianity. I really want to learn every week with my pastor more about bible and christianity, and I want to stay in US and live my life with my new faith.

Can you please help me to know what evidence is enough to support my case? can you share with me what you have had if our case is similar?

Hi there,
I wat to apply without a lawyer, do you recommend it? I am fluent in English and I can collect my own evidence, the on,y concern that i have is that I don't know what evidence is enough, I converted to Chrstianity after I met some christians 2 months ago, I didn't experience any real threat or prosecution before, I am from IRan, the reason I am seeking for asylum is that I can not come back to Iran and as you may know they will arrest me as soon as they know that I converted to Christianity. I really want to learn every week with my pastor more about bible and christianity, and I want to stay in US and live my life with my new faith.

Can you please help me to know what evidence is enough to support my case? can you share with me what you have had if our case is similar?

Hi Nima, welcome to forum
- its possible to apply without lawyer. having lawyer does not mean your english language is good or bad, lawyer may decide to do not join you to interview, you need lawyer for his knowledge.
- Its not easy to say what docs are enough, when you never threatened or persecuted, you need to replace it with more strong affidavits.
- write about yourself and add it to your application
- Collect the reports/ news/ facts, note the writer and publisher above each one, it does not have specific format and just need to be related to your case.
- talk to your pastor about your situation, he will help you
- translate all your identity documents
- this forum is so helpful and you will find really good advices

Blessings

Last edited by a moderator:
What documents did you prepare for your case?

Hi Nima, welcome to forum
- its possible to apply without lawyer. having lawyer does not mean your english language is good or bad, lawyer may decide to do not join you to interview, you need lawyer for his knowledge.
- Its not easy to say what docs are enough, when you never threatened or persecuted, you need to replace it with more strong affidavits.
- write about yourself and add it to your application
- Collect the reports/ news/ facts, note the writer and publisher above each one, it does not have specific format and just need to be related to your case.
- talk to your pastor about your situation, he will help you
- translate all your identity documents
- this forum is so helpful and you will find really good advices

Blessings

Hi Persian1
Thank you for your respond, so there is no specific format to collect documents and evidences, first I wanted to only visit US, but after I met my friend who is a pastor, I felt that I missed something important in my life, I realized that I really want to change my religion, it is a big decision though to leave every thing behind, I consulted with many lawyers, they insisted that I should improve my case by adding some fake stories from the past, but the truth is I didn't have any threat in the past, I just converted to christianity and I know there is no way back home, If I get back home I have 2 choices; facing a real threat or hide myself and my believes for ever, in both cases there will be fear.
I am not sure I can convince the interviewer, it is hard for me to prove to him that my faith is real. honesty I still myself can not believe what I am doing, but I feel it is right.
I want to collect some documents about how freedom of religion and freedom of speech is treated in IRan.
I also want to collect some news about people who converted from Islam to any other religion and what has happened to them.
I also want to add my impression of Islamic Law of Iran, how they treat women, how they treat couples, which is the true motivation for me to make this decision.
I dont' like to add any lie nor any fake story.
What do you think I am missing?
it is my understanding that you applied without a lawyer, is it right? may I ask if your case was political or religious?

Thank you for your help man

for the asylum interview, YOU NEED TO BRING TRANSLATOR IF YOU ARE NOT FLUENT IN ENGLISH.
for immigration judge hearing if you are referred, GOVERNMENT WILL GET A TRANSLATOR, you can have your own translator if you wish with prior notice.

Hi Persian1
Thank you for your respond, so there is no specific format to collect documents and evidence, first I wanted visit US, but afte I met my friend who is a pastor, I felt that I missed something important in my life, I realized that I really want to change my religion, it is a big decision though to leave every thing behind, I consulted with many lawyers, they insisted that I should improve my case by adding some fake stories from the past, but the truth is I didn't have any threat in the past, I just converted to christianity and I know there is no way back home, If I get back home I have 2 choices; facing a real threat or hide myself and my believes for ever, in both cases there will be fear.
I am not sure I can convince the interviewer, it is hard for me to prove to him that my faith is real. honesty I still myself can not believe what I am doing, but I feel it is right.
I want to collect some documents about how freedom of religion and freedom of speech is treated in IRan.
I also want to collect some news about people who converted from Islam to any other religion and what has happened to them.
I also want to add my impression of Islamic Law of Iran, how they treat women, how they treat couples, which is the true motivation for me to make this decision.
I dont' like to add any lie nor any fake story.
What do you think I am missing?
it is my understanding that you applied without a lawyer, is it right? may I ask if your case was political or religious?

Thank you for your help man

Nima,
-Yes, you need lots of research and study, and I know when you start and show your passion Lord will help you. You can ask your church and your pastor for help as well.
-What you want to collect as evidence is perfect.
-you said if you go back to Iran you will be in danger, How government knows about you? what draw their attention? Are you doing some activities in christianity? (Just answer to yourself.)
- I think your fear is based on converted people's situation and life in Iran, which are not few numbers. In this case you should go through U.S laws about asylum, uscis website, and other helpful topics which are easy to find in internet, but need time and patient to read and then come to decision. Its not easy to just say you are eligible or not.

Wishes

Nima,
-Yes, you need lots of research and study, and I know when you start and show your passion Lord will help you. You can ask your church and your pastor for help as well.
-What you want to collect as evidence is perfect.
-you said if you go back to Iran you will be in danger, How government knows about you? what draw their attention? Are you doing some activities in christianity? (Just answer to yourself.)
- I think your fear is based on converted people's situation and life in Iran, which are not few numbers. In this case you should go through U.S laws about asylum, uscis website, and other helpful topics which are easy to find in internet, but need time and patient to read and then come to decision. Its not easy to just say you are eligible or not.

Wishes
Thank you for your answer,
No I am not involved in any kind of christianity activity in Iran and if I come back I will not try to get arrested, but you can practice being a christian without going to church and be in touch with your pastor, I want to live it, I dont' want to hide it and pretend that I am a muslim, there is nothing to exaggerate, I am a new christian and if I get back to Iran there is no way I go to church, because as you know if I do so, soon or late people know about it and my life will be in serious danger. so what we are talking about is if I am ready to pretend that I am a muslim for the rest of my life and live ? or not? the answer is NO! I don't want to pretend and I want to live my faith and proud, is this enough to ask for asylum for religion?