Received passport but no Nat Cert with it

N400Atl

Registered Users (C)
Wondering anybody had same experience.

I received my passport in 2 weeks (Expedited) last Thursday (8/30/07). There is a printed note in there saying my Nat cert (All supporting documentation) will be mailed separately via first class mail. I still have not received it by 9/6/07 (one week)

Anybody had similar experience? Anybody received passport but did not receive Nat cert in the same envelope but later? How long was the delay?

It is new E-passport, in case that helps.

Thanks

Usually it takes the certificate another couple of business days to show up. We had Labor Day in between and so give it a few more days and it will show up.

-KM

Received passports today for my wife and I. Two weeks exactly from the time I applied for the expedited passports. Still waiting for my child's passport. Passports arrived without the certificates, which I guess will arrive in a few days. Child passport application changed from expedite to routine and back to expedite in the status page. It was saying routine I think for all of yesterday and part of today. The passports are electronic e-passport for whomever is still keeping track of this. I doubt they are issuing any old style passport nowadays.

Quick question, has it been your experience that a passport for a child applying under the child citizenship act of 2000 takes longer to process than the parents' passports?

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally received my certificate back after 10+ days. It has mail date of Aug 29 but I received it Sep 10. Not sure if post office picked it up on 29th or not. Had got me worried since most have received their cert in 2-3 days.

I had requested post office to put a sticky in there asking not to bend. It came back like new.

Now waiting for wife's judicial oath !!!!

I'm glad to hear you got your certificate back! :) I am still waiting for mine. My wife's certificate arrived a couple of days ago with a stamp mark (I guess that is printed at the passport facility) of Sep 6th (as far as I remember). I agree with you that the date on the envelope doesn't necessarily mean the date the post service gets the letter, but the date they printed the stamp. According to your experience I could still have to wait for a week or so. In the meantime I had started looking at the USCIS form to replace a lost certificate of naturalization ;)

Finally received my certificate back after 10+ days. It has mail date of Aug 29 but I received it Sep 10. Not sure if post office picked it up on 29th or not. Had got me worried since most have received their cert in 2-3 days.

I had requested post office to put a sticky in there asking not to bend. It came back like new.

Now waiting for wife's judicial oath !!!!

N400Atl,
Sorry to nitpick, but what does the above mean? Put a sticky where? asking them not to bend? Can you elaborate?

When I applied to renew my foreign passport (it is done by correspondence if you do not pick it up in in Chicago), I joined a pre-stamped USPS Express Mail envelope. I noted down the USPS tracking number and I tracked every day on the USPS website whether the envelope had been scanned by the Postal Service.

This type of preventive action may provide more accurate information than the website to check the status of the passport. Also, it gives a good starting point in case something gets lost.

When I applied to renew my foreign passport (it is done by correspondence if you do not pick it up in in Chicago), I joined a pre-stamped USPS Express Mail envelope. I noted down the USPS tracking number and I tracked every day on the USPS website whether the envelope had been scanned by the Postal Service.

This type of preventive action may provide more accurate information than the website to check the status of the passport. Also, it gives a good starting point in case something gets lost.

I did not know abt this pre-stamped Express envelope. You learn something new everyday :)

The French consulate in Chicago does not pay for any postage to send the passport, the applicant has to submit an Express Mail envelope with sufficient postage and mailing address. So I went to a post office, got postage stamps and filled out the address slip (keeping a copy for me in order to know the tracking number) - it is what I call a prestamped Express Mail envelope.

N400Atl,
Sorry to nitpick, but what does the above mean? Put a sticky where? asking them not to bend? Can you elaborate?

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation.

I asked the person taking my application at post office how to prevent passport issusing agency from folding it. He took a yellow sticky and wrote on it "do not bend on return" and also stamped it with their postal stamp (It is a red stamp with post office name, etc) Certificate came in an envelope that was bigger than certificate witn no bending. Similar to others, I also received back one photo.

Hope that helps.

I'm glad to hear you got your certificate back! :) I am still waiting for mine. My wife's certificate arrived a couple of days ago with a stamp mark (I guess that is printed at the passport facility) of Sep 6th (as far as I remember). I agree with you that the date on the envelope doesn't necessarily mean the date the post service gets the letter, but the date they printed the stamp. According to your experience I could still have to wait for a week or so. In the meantime I had started looking at the USCIS form to replace a lost certificate of naturalization ;)

Have you received your's cert back?

That form N-565 is a big PITA in the sense that it can take upto a year to get replacement and cost $400. Not sure why it should take so long as they already have all information in computers (When nat cert was issued and all) Hope you receive yours soon

Yes, I received the naturalization certificate back on Sept. 14 (a week ago). I hope you get yours back soon. Yes, applying for a new certificate is not good. I would wait some longer and then contact the passport agency and see whether they can do anything about it. There is this website where they are interested to hear from people who lost their certificate. They might have some ideas. I was thinking on contacting them when the certificate arrived (well, I was planning to give it some time):

http://www.newcitizen.us/passport.html

Check the contact us section on the page.

08/09 - Applied for Expedited Passport plus 2 ways overnight delivery at County Clerk.
09/15 - My passport was completed and mailed out but no tracking number on the website or customer service system
09/24 - Still did not receive my passport and Nat. Cert. Called customer service but she/he told me to file the form DS-64 for the replacement of my passport.
No one knows where my passport and Nat. Cert. are since there was no tracking number when it was mailed out.
How I am going to have my replacement of my passport without the original of my Nat. Cert.
Please help me if you some one know. I am very depressed and I can not eat or concentrate on my works since my passport did not arrive on 09/19.

How do you know your passport was mailed out on 9/15?
Naturalization certificate is not sent with the passport. Both getting lost is very remote. Is your mail box secured if living in an apartment? Can any one else access it?

My guess you will receive it today.

08/09 - Applied for Expedited Passport plus 2 ways overnight delivery at County Clerk.
09/15 - My passport was completed and mailed out but no tracking number on the website or customer service system
09/24 - Still did not receive my passport and Nat. Cert. Called customer service but she/he told me to file the form DS-64 for the replacement of my passport.
No one knows where my passport and Nat. Cert. are since there was no tracking number when it was mailed out.
How I am going to have my replacement of my passport without the original of my Nat. Cert.
Please help me if you some one know. I am very depressed and I can not eat or concentrate on my works since my passport did not arrive on 09/19.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give it a few more days. I find it strange that if you applied for overnight that there is no tracking number. There should be one, perhaps not accessible through the webpage, but I would assume that someone either at the post service or the State Department should know this tracking number. I also find curious that up to the end of last week you were posting that there was no progress in your passport, does that mean that they also forgot to update the status page? It all sounds very strange to me. Definitely your case is on the fringe of passport processing as far as my experience on this thread goes. Definitely not the typical case. I was also rather nervous about my certificate being lost in the mail, but it eventually showed up. Hopefully yours will too. Otherwise you'll have to apply for a new passport. Perhaps that DS-64 form gives you a chance to explain that both the naturalization certificate and passport got lost in the mail.

Naturalization certificate is not sent with the passport. Both getting lost is very remote.

Although the passport and naturalization certificate don't necessarily have to arrive in the same envelope they usually do. Getting them separately is the exception (something they started doing to speed things up) rather than the norm.

Ingo, if you paid for express mail delivery of the passport it is likely that USPS tried to deliver it when you were not at home. They usually leave a note asking you to pick it up at the post office but maybe it is the note that got lost and not the actual package. As far as I know USPS does only one delivery attempt (unlike Fedex and UPS). You may want to call your post office to see if they have any express mail packages under your name. For all you know it may just be sitting at your post office waiting to be picked up.

-KM

Ingo07 - I am going thru the same situation. The Passport website is indicating that the agency has mailed out the passport 4 days ago via expedited service/USPS express mail. The tracking number does not exist in the USPS system. Nothing got delivered. I will check with the Local Post office. Would anyone know if USPS is supposed to deliver express mail in person or can they leave it at the door step.

:(08/09 - Applied Expedited Passport plus 2 ways overnight deliver confirmation
09/15 - Passport was completed and it has been mailed out. I should receive my passport on 09/16 since I paid for the overnight delivery as the on-line status indicated
09/26 - Checked with Local Post office and FedEx but my passport was not there.
Customer Service 1-877 said that my passport was completed on 09/15 and mailed out as State Department system indicated. Nothing else they know at this moment. No one knows where is my passport and Nat. Cert.
Please share if you have the same sistuation so I know how long I have to wait to receive the expedited PP after it was completed. Thanks,

Sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble on this. I think I posted a link to http://www.newcitizen.us/passport.html a few days ago which has a contact us link somewhere in the page for people who have experienced loss of naturalization certificates. Perhaps they have some ideas on how to deal with this.
One thing I don't get is that the overnight envelopes come with a tracking number that should be trackable on the U.S. post website. I would believe that the passport agency issues those labels and should have a way to retrieve this number. If they sent you the documents first class in error it could still be a few days in which you could still receive everything.
So far I think you're the only one in this forum with so much trouble with the passport. The overnight delivery should have been fast and you should have already gotten it. Try to push the passport agency for the tracking number for the overnight delivery.

Received passport today

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my passport experience with you all. I applied last tuesday and got my passport today; so it was 1 week. I did pay for expedite but regular mail (and it was sent by priority mail). I also got my Nat Cert with it. The only thing is that they folded it in 3 now I have to content myself with those darn lines but oh well :cool: