Reasons for Denials of U.S Citizenship

wantmygcnow

Volunteer Moderator
I talked to my lawyer. He said it doesnt matter if you didn't register for selective service but recommends anyone 18-26 to register right now. Also anyone over that age, as cadel also suggested should ask to be registered and get a denial letter.

During U.S Citizenship time, they may ask it or they may not ask it. There is no telling. All it matters is that you prove that you are loyal to this country and if asked by the interviewer that will you join the military if asked, would you?..The answer would be "Yes ofcourse".

This is not as big of a deal as my lawyer put it. He said that people get away with domestic abuse and thats bigger deal than this.

REASONS for CITIZENSHIP DENIALS: Immigration can deny a person's application to naturalize to become a U.S. citizen for many reasons. The most common are that:

1. The person filed the naturalization application too soon.

2. The person has been convicted of certain crimes in the United States. Immigration finds out about any criminal problems by submitting each applicant's (between the ages of 14 and 75) fingerprints to the FBI. Denials based on criminal convictions can happen no matter how old the conviction is, and even if the person was given probation and the case was later dismissed. If a person is denied citizenship for this reason, Immigration may also try to deport (remove) him from the U.S. A PERSON WHO HAS EVER BEEN ARRESTED SHOULD SPEAK WITH AN EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ADVOCATE BEFORE FILING A CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION WITH IMMIGRATION.

3. The person does not have good moral character. Immigration may decide that a person lacks good moral character if he should have, but has not filed income tax returns; if he should have, but did not register for Selective Service; if he is an alcoholic; if he has had children out of wedlock or committed adultery; if he has failed to pay child support; if he has gotten any public benefits that he wasn't entitled to get; or if he is found to have lied in his answers to any of the questions on the naturalization application, among the more common reasons.

4. The person should not have been approved for permanent residency ("green card") in the first place. A person who knows that Immigration or the US Consulate was not told the complete truth before she got her green card should SPEAK WITH AN EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ADVOCATE BEFORE FILING A CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION WITH IMMIGRATION. Also, A PERSON WHO GOT THE GREEN CARD THROUGH THE "FARMWORKER AMNESTY" (Amnestía para Trabajadores Agrícolas) SHOULD ALWAYS SPEAK WITH AN EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ADVOCATE BEFORE FILING FOR CITIZENSHIP WITH IMMIGRATION.

5. The person refuses to register for Selective Service: The Person refuses to pledge his/her allegiance to the United States, including a willingness to bear arms for the U.S. if the law were to require it. (Exceptions to this are possible for certain individuals). Any person not willing to bear arms for any reason SHOULD SPEAK WITH AN EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ADVOCATE BEFORE APPLYING FOR CITIZENSHIP.

how about not paying tax, I heard someone said that GC holder without paying any tax will be denied for naturalization.

to wantmygcnow

i have 2 question to ask you

how can i register for selective service
and do i have to register, iam now 39 years old

you are absolutely incorrect wantmygcnow.
SS verification of status (registered or not registered, and if not why not) is ONE among THREE things that you MUST provide at the time of the N-400 interview among your GC and your passport/travel document.
Even so called "interview letter" (request for initial examination in connection with your N-400) states every time that you MUST bring these three documents (in addition they may ask for additional evidence but that is not related to SS matter)
On application itself there is a space where you have to give information about your SS status (your registration # and date you registered) . So playing down importance of SS registration is absolutely wrong and decaiving, and for your information, it is also a CIVIL offense (in cases where applicant can not demonstrate that he was not aware of this requierement). Some section of INA handles this but I am too lazy to google it now.
Also if you go to citizenship forum you will see that ALL applicants where required to prove their SS status incl. a friend of mine who recently became US citizen.

Eligibility for Naturalization

Section 316(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) requires a naturalization applicant to prove that he or she is, and has been for the requisite period, a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed toward the good order and happiness of the United States. Section 337(a)(5)(A) of the INA also requires applicants to declare under oath his or her willingness to bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law. Therefore, it is INS policy that refusal to or knowing and willful failure to register for Selective Service during the period for which an applicant is required to prove his compliance with § 316(a)(3) supports a finding that the applicant is not eligible for naturalization, because he has failed to establish his willingness to bear arms when required and his disposition to the good order and happiness of the United States.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again failure to register for the SSA is a VERY VERY SERIOUS matter for citizenship purposes. This matter cannot be downplayed.

antonio2 said:
you are absolutely incorrect wantmygcnow.
SS verification of status (registered or not registered, and if not why not) is ONE among THREE things that you MUST provide at the time of the N-400 interview among your GC and your passport/travel document.
Even so called "interview letter" (request for initial examination in connection with your N-400) states every time that you MUST bring these three documents (in addition they may ask for additional evidence but that is not related to SS matter)
On application itself there is a space where you have to give information about your SS status (your registration # and date you registered) . So playing down importance of SS registration is absolutely wrong and decaiving, and for your information, it is also a CIVIL offense (in cases where applicant can not demonstrate that he was not aware of this requierement). Some section of INA handles this but I am too lazy to google it now.
Also if you go to citizenship forum you will see that ALL applicants where required to prove their SS status incl. a friend of mine who recently became US citizen.

Eligibility for Naturalization

Section 316(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) requires a naturalization applicant to prove that he or she is, and has been for the requisite period, a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed toward the good order and happiness of the United States. Section 337(a)(5)(A) of the INA also requires applicants to declare under oath his or her willingness to bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law. Therefore, it is INS policy that refusal to or knowing and willful failure to register for Selective Service during the period for which an applicant is required to prove his compliance with § 316(a)(3) supports a finding that the applicant is not eligible for naturalization, because he has failed to establish his willingness to bear arms when required and his disposition to the good order and happiness of the United States.

help!!!

i have had a green card for 5 yrs now but one year prior to my getting it there was a domestic dispute and it resulted in a dismissal of one count and a conviction of simple battery , i want to file for citizenship now is this dangerous?
it was 7 years ago ive no convictions since recieving my g c and is this still ok for good moral character ? pleas let me know thank you
mick

applicant age downsize SS registration during citizenship interview
If you are 31 year old or over you may have no problem at all.

check this out: http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

Thats the link to the Selective Service System website. I think the best way to go about it is to do research. Start their link the information with the Immigration pages and then determine what is the best route.

PS: IF you are not between the ages of 18-26 you would probably need to get some type of letter from them to verify that you are not required to register.

I think this is the safest way to go, please read below.

"HOW TO GET AN OFFICIAL SELECTIVE SERVICE RESPONSE SAYING YOU WERE OR WERE NOT REQUIRED TO REGISTER
If you did not register with Selective Service, and are now a man over age 25, you may be ineligible for certain Federal or state programs and benefits, including U.S. citizenship. Some agencies may ask you to provide an official response from the Selective Service indicating if you were or were not required to register. To receive such a letter from the Selective Service System, please call 1-847-688-6888. Your call will be answered by an automated voice processing system. Please refrain from pressing any numbers, and an operator will soon come on the line to assist you. You may also send a written request to the Selective Service System at P.O. Box 94638, Palatine, IL 60094-4638. Ask for a "status information" letter. You will have to describe, in detail, the circumstances you believe prevented you from registering and provide copies of documents showing any periods when you were hospitalized, institutionalized, or incarcerated occurring between your 18th and 26th birthdays. If you are a non-citizen, you may be required to provide documents that show when you entered the United States. Please include your name, Social Security Number, date of birth, and return address.

For your convenience, you can download the Request for Status Information Letter form along with the directions for completing this form. Both documents are in PDF format."