Re-Entry with Travel Document

bash123

Registered Users (C)
as an asylee with a pending GC case for 6 years now, I've traveled multiple times and each time you return, first you stand in line on the "non-citizen" line for 4 hours and then when its your turn, they put your RTD in a folder and take it to the UCIS room where you sit another 5 hours and finally, the officer asks you if you traveled to where you ran away from to begin with and then stampts your newly filled i-94 and grants you asylem. By this time, you've lost..hmm...about 5 pounds... :D

Well, this time, that wasn't the case. when I was coming back few months back, I stood in the "non-citizen" line for about 3 hours and just before it was my turn the lady who sends people to the next available officer told me to go to "citizen" section because all those officers were free. I followed her instructions and showed my RTD to one of the officers there. He looked at me and said "U sure you need to fill this? pointing at my newly filled i-94". I said, I'm not sure but I did it just in case. He said "Na" and stumpped my RTD with "Entry Allowed" stamp that he normally uses on US passport holders. I was on my way......happy!:)

BUT, here's the question part:
what did just happen? did I just lose my asylum status since I didn't get re-granted at port of entry as an asylee? Does UCIS have a record of my travel at all since I didn't go to that little room where they make you sit for 5 hours and grant you asylum and let you in? All the officer did was scanned my RTD like he scans US passports.....did he just not know the process?

I would appreciate any answers as they would help me sleep better.

-B

Which port of entry you have been using? I will try to avoid it if possible.

I re-entered once in Chicago, it took me 20 minutes to wait in line, another 20 minutes to get my document back from the second-interview room.

I think u should get ur I-94 stamped. When u goto renew ur DL or something, u should show them ur I-94

bash123 said:
as an asylee with a pending GC case for 6 years now, I've traveled multiple times and each time you return, first you stand in line on the "non-citizen" line for 4 hours and then when its your turn, they put your RTD in a folder and take it to the UCIS room where you sit another 5 hours and finally, the officer asks you if you traveled to where you ran away from to begin with and then stampts your newly filled i-94 and grants you asylem. By this time, you've lost..hmm...about 5 pounds... :D

Well, this time, that wasn't the case. when I was coming back few months back, I stood in the "non-citizen" line for about 3 hours and just before it was my turn the lady who sends people to the next available officer told me to go to "citizen" section because all those officers were free. I followed her instructions and showed my RTD to one of the officers there. He looked at me and said "U sure you need to fill this? pointing at my newly filled i-94". I said, I'm not sure but I did it just in case. He said "Na" and stumpped my RTD with "Entry Allowed" stamp that he normally uses on US passport holders. I was on my way......happy!:)

what did just happen? did I just lose my asylum status since I didn't get re-granted at port of entry as an asylee? Does UCIS have a record of my travel at all since I didn't go to that little room where they make you sit for 5 hours and grant you asylum and let you in? All the officer did was scanned my RTD like he scans US passports.....did he just not know the process?

-B

Do not worry about this at all. I travel a lot and encounter weird things at all the different airports. Once I had the same experience as yours where the offier just stamped it...So don't worry..Your asylum approval is in the computer and a new i-94 wont change it..you should still have the original I-94 that you got when your asylum was approved.

wy007 said:
want, u didn't give them ur I-94 when u leave the country?

No I would never give my original I-94 to anyone. An officer told me that. When I travelled the first time and came back the officer asked me where is the Original I-94..so I said its at home..he said good, dont ever give it to the airline personnel....and they issued me a new one... THis was before 9/11...

So i keep all of my I-94's..its a strong document.

wantmygcnow said:
No I would never give my original I-94 to anyone. An officer told me that. When I travelled the first time and came back the officer asked me where is the Original I-94..so I said its at home..he said good, dont ever give it to the airline personnel....and they issued me a new one... THis was before 9/11...

So i keep all of my I-94's..its a strong document.

wait a second. u have an option not to give them your old I-94? Is it ok?

Relax. I assure you that you will not lose your asylum status in this manner.

bash123 said:

-B

Minsk said:
wait a second. u have an option not to give them your old I-94? Is it ok?

I never gave the original I94 and nobody ever asked for it. I traveled overseas 3 times. Yes you have to keep original I94. If you gave it away then just order another one. I think it costs around 150$.

ayyubov said:
I never gave the original I94 and nobody ever asked for it. I traveled overseas 3 times. Yes you have to keep original I94. If you gave it away then just order another one. I think it costs around 150$.

But when u enter U.S. u have to fill out another one. Am I right?

Minsk said:
But when u enter U.S. u have to fill out another one. Am I right?

Yes u do, every time u enter the country. But you don't have to return anything back to Immigration.

you need to get your i 94

i travel all the times using RTD , each time i arrive to the airport i always wait in the citizenz and resident line,

its the same story all the times , the officer take my RTD swipe it at his computer, then ask me to go to other room,

then in the room i have to wait for 30 minutes,they stamp my 194 with asylee approval stamp and stamp my RTD

in your case the officer made huge mistake, he should got fired,he should not working at the ins,

you need to get your i 94 now,by filing an immigration form,

if you look at the ins wibesite ins forms, the form is there,

i really forgot the name of the form, and you need to pay the fee for filing.

you cant leave the country without i 94

3 years ago i went cruising to bahamas,when i came back, i gave the officer my RTD and my i94 to stamp it,next the officer cut my i 94 and told me

that i dont need i 94 ,i told him that he was wrong, i had to explain to him the INS rules regarding asylees,

then he realized he made mistake,he had to issue me another i 94

those idiots officers are every where,you have to challenge them all the times

you must get your i 94

its very serious and important

John Smith 1 said:
i travel all the times using RTD , each time i arrive to the airport i always wait in the citizenz and resident line,

its the same story all the times , the officer take my RTD swipe it at his computer, then ask me to go to other room,

then in the room i have to wait for 30 minutes,they stamp my 194 with asylee approval stamp and stamp my RTD

in your case the officer made huge mistake, he should got fired,he should not working at the ins,

you need to get your i 94 now,by filing an immigration form,

if you look at the ins wibesite ins forms, the form is there,

i really forgot the name of the form, and you need to pay the fee for filing.

you cant leave the country without i 94

3 years ago i went cruising to bahamas,when i came back, i gave the officer my RTD and my i94 to stamp it,next the officer cut my i 94 and told me

that i dont need i 94 ,i told him that he was wrong, i had to explain to him the INS rules regarding asylees,

then he realized he made mistake,he had to issue me another i 94

those idiots officers are every where,you have to challenge them all the times

you must get your i 94

its very serious and important

I don't get it. People on this forum say that they never show their I-94 and nobody ask them to show. Why can't u leave the country without I-94 then? As far as I understand all u need is to fill I-94 when entring U.S.

The form is I-102 and the fee is 150.00USD. If you were issued a incorrect I-94 then the fee is waived.

If you didn't receive a I-94 and need one you will need to send a letter along with the application explaining them that the officer didn't issue you a I-94 when you entered the US. Then its upto them to waive the fee don't send the money first with application wait for their reply.

Guys, enlighten me here
since my assylum approval, I have travelled once to Canada. at that time, during my entry, the agent took my ORIGINAL I94, asked me to fill a new one and gave it to me after putting a seal in it. here is what it says; asylum status granted pursuant to section 208 INA. then there is another line which says valid to and he put the day of my work permit expiration date. I no longer have the original which says "asylum status granted indefinitely pursuant to section 208 INA". I have a copy of the original and each time I feel my renewal of work permit I send them the original copy. do I have to have the original I-94? when will I need the original one? let me know
obviously as you know, the numbers of each I94 are different.

Minsk said:
I don't get it. People on this forum say that they never show their I-94 and nobody ask them to show. Why can't u leave the country without I-94 then? As far as I understand all u need is to fill I-94 when entring U.S.

If US had passport control like others then they would make sure you leave your I-94. For Asylees, I-94, the surrendring and obtaining a new one is a USCIS procedure, they dont follow the surrendering portion....When you enter U.S, as per procedure you have to fill a new I-94.

He should have put "indef", at least that is what I got from every port of entry. Just file for new I-94, requesting the fee waiver because it is their error.