Re-entry to U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alena

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I have a question regarding coming back to U.S. as an LPR. I know there is a law that requires all departing aliens to obtain tax compliance certificate (sailing permit). I don't know anyone who has done it. My question is whether DHS may ask for the certificate upon return to the U.S. or is it just for departure. Was anyone ever asked to produce it?

Hello,
I have a question regarding coming back to U.S. as an LPR. I know there is a law that requires all departing aliens to obtain tax compliance certificate (sailing permit). I don't know anyone who has done it. My question is whether DHS may ask for the certificate upon return to the U.S. or is it just for departure. Was anyone ever asked to produce it?
I believe it only applies to aliens (resident or otherwise) who are leaving permanently. Furthermore, you are required to present it directly to the captain of the vessel or craft on which you are leaving prior to departure. I would love to see the security panic when someone perfectly correctly tries to get into a plane's cockpit to give the pilot his tax compliance certificate.

In reality, I suspect few people actually know of this requirement and fewer still do anything about it.

Thank you for the information. Now, I guess I don't have to go to the IRS office to get the certificate. What a relief!:)

I believe it only applies to aliens (resident or otherwise) who are leaving permanently. Furthermore, you are required to present it directly to the captain of the vessel or craft on which you are leaving prior to departure. I would love to see the security panic when someone perfectly correctly tries to get into a plane's cockpit to give the pilot his tax compliance certificate.

In reality, I suspect few people actually know of this requirement and fewer still do anything about it.

Not true
IRS web site clearly states
"resident alien who is leaving only temporarily, use Form 2063"

This is the first time I see such thing ! :eek:

Look at this! Say, one permanent resident wants to leave U.S. permanently - so he/her goes to the USCIS and find out, that all they must do is come to any U.S. embassy and file I-470.

NOBODY told me about this "sailing permit" before and so I am angry a bit, beucase for sure there are another similar (important) requirements which you one doesn't know or simply cannost easily find ...

So that guy who depart U.S. and give up his/her green card at consulate and tries to come for vacation to the U.S. in some future has a bit potential problem. And what it's worse, he is not AWARE of it!

:mad: that's mess!

Dears, are there any source of information where you can see survey of all such obligations and requirements that one has to follow while permanent resident (or US citizen) ?

Not true
IRS web site clearly states
"resident alien who is leaving only temporarily, use Form 2063"

So, should I get it or not? I hate to think I will have to go through beaurocracy for something that no one will even look at. I'd rather not do it. I am only going away for one week.

So, should I get it or not? I hate to think I will have to go through beaurocracy for something that no one will even look at. I'd rather not do it. I am only going away for one week.
Of course you shouldn't. Do you seriously think that every greencard holders files IRS paperwork every time they leave the country?

going to be out with GC

Hi all,
I have a question regarding reentry.
I have a job offer out side the US and will need to go.
The offer is for three years.
I can come two times a year in Jan and stay for 15 days and in July to stay
60 days.
So I will not be out for more than 6 months but will spend most of the three
years outside.
My family (wife and kids) will remain in the US
Will that be ok?

b2 visa inquiry

hey all,

i have recently recieved and extension of stay on my b2 visa for another 6 months.
my current I-94 is stamped for my stay to end on the 28th april 2009
my extension allows me to stay until the 28 october 2009.

my question is that i have planned a vacation away with friends to brazil.
we leave on the 23 april 09(5 days before my current expiry date)
i return on 3 may 09 (10 days later).
although i have been granted an extention to stay with the usa for an additional 6 months do you think it would cause any problems when i re-enter the usa?

any responses appreciated

I have my son studying in India when got his GC. He came to US and stayed one month and went back to India to complete his course. Now, we want him in US since he completed his course. Now he is in out side of US one year and 5 days.

After going through the forum for same kind of situations, I'm worried now about his re-entry. Can you guyz please help me what options can help me to bring my son US. My wife and other kid lives in US. He is now 16 years. Your help is really appreciated.

Since we're on the topic of unrelated inquiries:

My sister's husband's grandfather was a Danish immigrant who moved to Canada as a small child 95 years ago. I am wondering if his Sri Lankan inlaws require a transit visa when flying from Australia to Finland and stopping in Los Angeles?

since we're on the topic of unrelated inquiries:

My sister's husband's grandfather was a danish immigrant who moved to canada as a small child 95 years ago. I am wondering if his sri lankan inlaws require a transit visa when flying from australia to finland and stopping in los angeles?

:d:d:d

Status
Not open for further replies.