Re-entry Permit Questions/Queries!

GC_TRAP

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

Hopefully, somebody will be able to answer my questions on Re-entry Permits.

1) If one applies for a Re-entry Permit for two (2) years but decides to return back to the US within six months or one year, is that Re-entry Permit still effective and does it still work against your 2+2 year total that you can take on Re-entry Permit? What happens to that RP if one returns sooner?

2) Is the verdict still out on whether one "HAS" to get fingerprinted in the US after applying for a RP or one can schedule it overseas at one of the US embassies?

3) Lastly, should one continue to maintain bank accounts, file tax returns, and maintain other connections in the US during this 2 year period of absence?

Thank you all for your responses!

Hello all,

1) If one applies for a Re-entry Permit for two (2) years but decides to return back to the US within six months or one year, is that Re-entry Permit still effective and does it still work against your 2+2 year total that you can take on Re-entry Permit? What happens to that RP if one returns sooner?

2) Is the verdict still out on whether one "HAS" to get fingerprinted in the US after applying for a RP or one can schedule it overseas at one of the US embassies?

3) Lastly, should one continue to maintain bank accounts, file tax returns, and maintain other connections in the US during this 2 year period of absence?

Off the top of my head the answer to the third question is a sound yes.

Hello all,

1. RP is valid for 2 years from the date it was first issued by the DHS.

3. Definitely yes. These steps demonstrate that you have not abandoned your residence.

I also need to apply for this.
can it be done online? where is the website?
or does it have to be paper?

Last edited by a moderator:
The permit is valid for two years, and can be used as many times as you want within those two years. Applying online is discouraged because they then have to ask for the evidence and what not (photos, etc.), so apply via post and make it a complete application to minimise processing time (which, right now, is almost 10 months!!!). You should also ALWAYS maintain ties with the US, so this question is moot.

I am not sure about the fingerprinting, as this is a new requirement, but they will send you a notice for that, apparently, and it can also, apparently done at a US embassy or consulate abroad.