re entry permit is 1 or 2 year validity?

jonny1

Registered Users (C)
It has been a long time i haven't been following the great forum.

I have GC thru asylum since 2008. I currently have re entry permit document that expires in June 2012. Was valid for 2 years and I used it to travel to nepal in early 2011 for one month and that's it.

I plan to travel this winter and intend to file for re entry permit application again. My question is, will the new re entry permit document be valid for one year only or becos i already applied for one last time or it will still be valid for 2 yrs? if it will be for one year only then it is better to apply for RTD as it is much cheaper?

I remember in some cases, USCIS issues it valid for 1 year only but don't remember in what type of case.

Thanks guys.

It has been a long time i haven't been following the great forum.

I have GC thru asylum since 2008. I currently have re entry permit document that expires in June 2012. Was valid for 2 years and I used it to travel to nepal in early 2011 for one month and that's it.

I plan to travel this winter and intend to file for re entry permit application again. My question is, will the new re entry permit document be valid for one year only or becos i already applied for one last time or it will still be valid for 2 yrs? if it will be for one year only then it is better to apply for RTD as it is much cheaper?

I remember in some cases, USCIS issues it valid for 1 year only but don't remember in what type of case.

Thanks guys.

Did you flee from Nepal? Was Nepal the COP? IF yes, have things so drastically changed? IF no, you will be scrutinized deeply by DHS.

An RTD is issued ONLY for one year maximum.

You should be obtaining RTDs rather than REPs but it is not mandatory anymore (this could change).

The first REP is almost always issued for 2 years.

A second REP is usually issued for 2 years.

A third REP will be limited to only 1 year OR denied. [A few obscure exceptions exist for people such as for example professional athletes that regularly compete abroad.]

Last edited by a moderator:
The application states that if one has been abroad for 4 years or more in the past 5 years, then the RP will probably be issued just for 1 year. BigJoe5 might know more, but if you've only used the RP as a travel document rather than as a permit to remain out of the US for extended periods of time, you might keep getting 2 year RPs. Give it a shot now, though. You'll presumably be applying for citizenship next year anyway, so it won't really matter.