Re-entry after 8-10 months

I-407 is for abandoning the GC. You really gonna do that?

Btw, if I only have GC card and return to US < 1 year but > 6mth, will that pose serious problem at POE? As Jack pointed out, it will.

I wouldn't say "it will", as you never know how the officer at the POE will react. Maybe they won't even ask or care how long you have been away.

But once you go over that 6 months line, it puts you in a hole where you open yourself up to potential problems if the officer decides to grill you and you don't have other good evidence to defend yourself.

Little question ... do I need an ID, if I don't want to drive a car in NYC? I may use passport or gc as an ID, can't I?

I-407 is for abandoning the GC. You really gonna do that?

Well, not now. But I failed in obtaining an ID and it's likely that I woudln't be able to arrive before that 6 months ... what to do than
I may be admitted without problems, but my action may lead to entry denial. In that way, if this happens to me, I am not too scared about GC, but about being entry denial for many years even as a tourist.

So I am still not sure and dont know what to do, but one possible option is also I407. Our university system cannot (may not) allow me for prolonged time to the U.S. , it's almost impossible to come here for more than 3-4 days.

Your school doesn't give 2-3 weeks of holidays in December/January?

Teoreticaly yes, but we have some kind of rehersal time during these semesters, so it's really up to current situation. This is why I am afraid, because I am not sure about that free time.

We had a talk with my father and he may want to go with me (before my 6 months) to the U.S. on visit.

He would travel on Visa Waiver Program and me on green card. Do you think that either of us may face a problem on borders?

You should be okay, though your father may have to go through a different immigration line at the port of entry since he'll be a visitor.

Also, if you are bringing in any food items, you will have to declare them in a form that they should provide you in the airplane, assuming you are flying in. Depending on what you are bringing, the customs area might delay your overall landing process, but it should still be okay.

Good Luck!

Stoned!

Folks. Can someone please tell me, whether I could go to a US embassy in my country to acquire some form which would ensure smooth passage at POE for being abroad > 6mths and < 1 year?

I searched it at http://www.uscis.gov/ but the form does not seem to exist.

The consulate doesn't have business for < 1 year case except for SB1, but SB 1 is really difficult to get. Just get RP and nothing to worry.

I have been LPR since Jan 2007 and was living in the US for 6 months when due to family reasons had to leave and was not sure if I would ever return.

At the time I was unaware that a re entry permit was required for trips greater than 1 year. After some research on this web site I learnt more about the procedures.

I returned to the US after 11 months abroad, at POE the officer asked me why I was away for so long and if I was travelling on a return ticket. I told him the truth why I was away for so long but did not tell him I had a return ticket and the sole purpose of the trip was to save my green card. He told me next time a re entry permit will be needed. I stayed for a week. This was about the time the rules changed and biometrics were required.

4 months later I returned again but this time I wanted to do it right and apply for the re entry permit. At POE no questions asked just a friendly " Welcome home sir".
I applied for the re entry permit using the expedited service. Less than 2 weeks after posting my application I received an appointment notice. I attended my biometic appointment and had finger prints and photograph taken and left the US a few days later. That was last week and my re entry permit has arrived my friends US address. I plan to return to the US permently toward the end of 2009.

Hope this help someone as all POE officers are different.

gswil: thanks for sharing your experience. Which POE did u use to reenter?

I want to update my current situation. Again, I have no reentry permit, I was in the USA for 3 weeks, opened bank account, applied for NYC non driver id. I don't have my plastic green card yet and I am currently outside U.S.

My friend is going to send me to Europe my NYC id and plastic green card when arrive by mail.

I'm finishing my studies and also keeping my nyc address (where my friend lives). Going back to the U.S. within 6 months just for 2 weeks and back.

And then again after 5 months for good OR for couple months and apply for re-entry permit.

Again the same question :) am I safe if I plan to do it this way?

P.S. - am I in trouble when I left the US without plastic GC, just with passport with stamp?

In my case, I also did not get my GC going out of US after activating it. On second visit 2 months later, they sent me to secondary inspection. But it was just formality coz they let me through. So dont worry. Better still if you can ask your friend to send you the GC, so no hassles at POE.

And then again after 5 months for good OR for couple months and apply for re-entry permit.

Again the same question :) am I safe if I plan to do it this way?
You just got your green card this summer, you're leaving for 3 months, then gone again for 5 months, then you want to leave again with a reentry permit? All while not maintaining anything substantial (your own house/apartment/car/spouse/kids) in the US? You're about as safe as a blindfolded man crossing the street.
P.S. - am I in trouble when I left the US without plastic GC, just with passport with stamp?
The main purpose of the I-551 stamp is to allow you to travel outside the US and return without the physical card. Just come back before it expires, if you don't have the card.

You just got your green card this summer, you're leaving for 3 months, then gone again for 5 months, then you want to leave again with a reentry permit? All while not maintaining anything substantial (your own house/apartment/car/spouse/kids) in the US? You're about as safe as a blindfolded man crossing the street.

The main purpose of the I-551 stamp is to allow you to travel outside the US and return without the physical card. Just come back before it expires, if you don't have the card.

you know my weak ties, at least I have got account in a bank and ID.
And again my schedule:

2008 - September - 3 weeks activation trip
2009 - February - 2 weeks in the U.S.
2009 - July - coming back for good

:) I was only inquiring about safety of this pattern

In my case, I also did not get my GC going out of US after activating it. On second visit 2 months later, they sent me to secondary inspection. But it was just formality coz they let me through. So dont worry. Better still if you can ask your friend to send you the GC, so no hassles at POE.

Of course, yesterday I left the U.S. without plastic green card. But the next trip to the U.S. I will use my "plastic" green card to reenter, because my friend will resend it to me.

I'm really trying. This is why I'm asking - better safe than sorry.

I was just scared whether leaving without plastic GC may result in some problems at POE. Thats it. Of course returning will be with my plastic one, as I mentioned:)

Round and Round and Round in the circle game...

It's high time people should understand there is no definite answer.