Re-applying and multiple home addresses at the same time

sycw

Registered Users (C)
I have applied for citizenship in 2006 and got denied because I have been working overseas which broke the requirement of continuous residency even though I have come back every 6 months. The IO told me to sign a paper to withdraw the application at the end of the interview and said it was better than having her to officially rejected my case. Questions:
1. Will the prior withdrawal affect my current application and does USIC has any record?
2. I just come back from a 1.5 month trip in Hong Kong but the Eligibility Worksheet stated that I must have resided in the district or state I apply for the citizenship for the "last three months", do I need to wait for 3 more months?
3. I rent a room near my workplace for almost 5 years, but I always go back to my parents house, which I filled in as the Current Home Address in Part 6, during weekend or holidays. I have used my parents house address on all my bills, tax returns, and USCIS records, should I report the rental house address as well in Part 6. If yes, will it affect my application as the date which I resides in both the home and rental address are overlapped.

Thanks!

Thanks!

#1. Old application should not have issue on the new application.
#2. 1.5 month absence is not an issue if you returned to the same home (or district) you were living in.
#3. You can add a note about these 2 houses, and use either one as your primary address.

1) A prior withdrawal in itself does not affect a future application.

2) If you return to the same district area where you previously established 3 months of residency then you don't need to wait additional 3 months.

3)You can only have one primary abode. If you have lived the majority of the time in the rental for the last 5 years, then it must be your primary physical abode for part 6. Your parents' place may be your mailing address in part 4, but not physical address where you live.

Thanks for the prompt reply. My parents are living in San Francisco and I am living in San Jose and both city has a USCIS office. Are those offices consider to be in two different USCIS district so I need to wait for 3 more months if I update the address in USCIS system? My credit report, bank statements, driver license show my parent address as the current address and the rental address as a previous address. And things get complicated as I am planing to move back to my parents house for few months because I just lost my job. Is adding a note in Part 6 for both addresses good enough to getting me out of trouble? Sorry for the questions as I don't want to be rejected again. Thanks!

SJ and SF are covered different service office depending on zip code.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO

If you've been living and working the majority of your time for the last 5 years in SJ, the IO might question why you're claiming it has a temporary address for the naturalization process. Since you've already established your parents home as your home base, then apply under the SF service area. Disclose the SJ address as a temporary work address on application.

If I change the home address to the San Jose address in the N400, and file the AR-11 to change the address to San Jose address, will it make things better? Do I need to wait for 3 more months after file the AR-11 because I actually lived in San Jose for 5 years?

Chicagoboy77: I didn't work with an American company and I did file tax.

If I change the home address to the San Jose address in the N400, and file the AR-11 to change the address to San Jose address, will it make things better? Do I need to wait for 3 more months after file the AR-11 because I actually lived in San Jose for 5 years?

Chicagoboy77: I didn't work with an American company and I did file tax.

If you change address to SJ and apply the potential issue you will have is proving residential ties in SJ since all your paperwork (utilities, DL, taxes, etc..) is under your parents address.

I vote for San Jose filing

San Francisco is the District Office and San Jose is a sub-office of the San Francisco District, both are in the same state so, the 3 month residency and the primary residence are not really an issue to N-400 eligibility.

I would suggest that you file in San Jose because they are a better and faster office and where you actually reside. Plus they have free parking.

IF you are doing a name change as part of Natz, the two offices are in different Court jurisdictions. SNJ does a better job than SFR on that as well.

You prior N-400 and the withdrawal will be in your file under the new N-400, the Officer will know of your issue and look to see that you have overcome it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will file the AR11 online to change my home address to San Jose if the SJ office handles the application quicker. I have a comcast bills under my name with the SJ address so I think that can be the proof of my residency in SJ? I will put my parent's address in the part 6 so that it matches the records in the credit report/DL/bills hopefully not giving me any trouble.

BigJoe5, I have been working in the US for 5 years since I come back and only have 5 trips outside the states with 107 days total, will it still causing trouble when the officer see my withdrawal?

Thanks!

I think I will file the AR11 online to change my home address to San Jose if the SJ office handles the application quicker. I have a comcast bills under my name with the SJ address so I think that can be the proof of my residency in SJ? I will put my parent's address in the part 6 so that it matches the records in the credit report/DL/bills hopefully not giving me any trouble.

BigJoe5, I have been working in the US for 5 years since I come back and only have 5 trips outside the states with 107 days total, will it still causing trouble when the officer see my withdrawal?

Thanks!

Your prior withdrawal was the smart and efficient move at that time. The Officer will have written an explanation about broke residence needs to wait until "whenever" in order to re-apply.

Did you overcome the issue?
Yes, no problem.
NO, still a problem.

Your prior withdrawal was the smart and efficient move at that time. The Officer will have written an explanation about broke residence needs to wait until "whenever" in order to re-apply.

Did you overcome the issue?
Yes, no problem.
NO, still a problem.

Thanks BigJoe5. I have just filed the AR-11 to change my home address to SJ, should I wait few days before I send the N400?