Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

I finally got my Oath letter yesterday (5/22/10). MY oath is next month Friday - 6/18/10.

My N-400 timeline:
application sent to Lewisville, TX USCIS lockerbox
USCIS local office: RDU.

Sent N-400 12/19/09
PD 12/23/09
Check cashed 12/23/09
NOA 12/28/09
FP notice 12/29/08 (received 01/04/10)
FP Date 1/30/08 (walk in done on 01/06/10)
IL: 04/03/10
ID: 05/03/10 (N-652 interview results letter given)
OL: 5/22/10
OD: 6/18/10

Why is it taking a month to for Oath date? My lawyer was telling me that right now they are conducting Oath ceremonies on Fridays and if interview is in the morning, oath cermony can be in the afternoon or on Friday that week.

I have no why it takes a month for getting oath letter. I kept my patience and followed USCIS. I am just reporting my timeline here. Just an observation, the oath ceremony are mostly on Fridays at RDU center. My oath is on 6/18/10 also a friday.
Cheers,
Superandy.

My N-400 timeline:
application sent to Lewisville, TX USCIS lockerbox
USCIS local office: RDU.

Sent N-400 12/19/09
PD 12/23/09
Check cashed 12/23/09
NOA 12/28/09
FP notice 12/29/08 (received 01/04/10)
FP Date 1/30/08 (walk in done on 01/06/10)
IL: 04/03/10
ID: 05/03/10 (N-652 interview results letter given)
OL: 5/22/10
OD: 6/18/10

My interview is scheduled for July 20th. How long does it take between interview and Oath. I have an international trip coming up in Sep. If I can get my US passport by end of Aug, I will not need visa for my trip.

My time line - charlotte

My time line:

Sent N-400 - 04/01/10 Money order sent
FP notice 04/19/10
FP Date 05/10/10 (walk in done)
YL 05/28/10
IL:
ID:
OL:
OD:

Can someone please expect my interview letter date based on above processing from Charlotte?
Thanks in advance

processin time

from two to three months after ur fingerprint day, U should receiv ur Interview letter sometime by the end of July, unless ur FBI name check is not clear....thats my two cents if tha can help u, be patient ! but u wont be sent to charlotte for interview, naturalization cases in NC is now held in Durham DO.

My time line:

Sent N-400 - 04/01/10 Money order sent
FP notice 04/19/10
FP Date 05/10/10 (walk in done)
YL 05/28/10
IL:
ID:
OL:
OD:

Can someone please expect my interview letter date based on above processing from Charlotte?
Thanks in advance

apply for passport and travel visa to India

That's incorrect. Depending on our NC zip code, your interview can be either held in Charlotte or Durham DO.

Can we apply for NEW US visa passport after oath and also Travel Visa to India all at once and at one place to save time.

Now lot of stuff is involved after oath-

New Passport
Surrender certificate
Travel Visa
Trying to estimate time lines.

Latest update in our N-400 case. Seems like the process takes about 4 to 5 months end to end (N-400 Application to US Passport).

N-400 Timelines at Raleigh-Durham NC
Date of Receipt/Priority Date: March 8th 2010
Fingerprinting Date: April 5th 2010
Interview Letter Receipt: June 16th 2010
Interview Date: July 19th 2010
Oath Date: Hopefully same day as Interview
Passport Applied: ???
Passport Received: ???
OCI Applied: ???
OCI Approved: ???
OCI Stamped in US Passport: ???

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need the US Passport in hand before you can apply for cancellation of your Indian Passport, assuming you hold Indian citizenship (there is also a fee that you need to pay the Indian embassy per new rules) and then apply for the India travel visa. You can do the cancellation of the Indian passport and the visa application concurrently. I would do the OCI after the US passport and only apply for the Indian visa if you have to travel in the interim. OCI takes abpout 2 to 4 months end to end. Good luck.

Can we apply for NEW US visa passport after oath and also Travel Visa to India all at once and at one place to save time.

Now lot of stuff is involved after oath-

New Passport
Surrender certificate
Travel Visa
Trying to estimate time lines.

I have seen in this forum that oath is normally scheduled on Friday. Any idea??

Latest update in our N-400 case. Seems like the process takes about 4 to 5 months end to end (N-400 Application to US Passport).

N-400 Timelines at Raleigh-Durham NC
Date of Receipt/Priority Date: March 8th 2010
Fingerprinting Date: April 5th 2010
Interview Letter Receipt: June 16th 2010
Interview Date: July 19th 2010
Oath Date: Hopefully same day as Interview
Passport Applied: ???
Passport Received: ???
OCI Applied: ???
OCI Approved: ???
OCI Stamped in US Passport: ???

hari2285: It looks like we have similar timelines.

We're PR since Sept 2005. How about you?

CBlinx + Sp Under 5-yr rule, Diversity Visa GC....
DO: Raleigh-Durham

07/29/2010 (Day 1) USPS Express mail to Lewsiville, TX 75067 (It should not be sent this way since it's a USPS. I realized the mistake later. I was worried for a while but after reading this forum, I cooled down)
07/30/2010 (Day 2) Forwarded to Dallas 75266 (Lockbox)
08/01/2010 (Day 4) Received (Delivered and delivery signed on Sunday night!!!)
08/02/2010 (Day 5) Priority Date
08/05/2010 (Day 7) Money Order Cleared (Cahsed)
08/09/2010 (Day 11) NOA rec'd
08/11/2010 (Day 13) RFE Date
08/13/2010 (Day 15) RFE Email received
08/16/2010 (Day 18) FP Notice Rec'd
08/25/2010 (Day 27) FP & Photo schedule date
XX/XX/2010 (Day ??) Interview notice recv'd
XX/XX/2010 (Day ??) Interview date
xx/xx/2010 (Day ??) Oath Date

Does Raleigh/Durham DO allow walk-in FP? Any recommendations on what day of the week would be best? Thanks in advance!

Does Raleigh/Durham DO allow walk-in FP? Any recommendations on what day of the week would be best? Thanks in advance!

I heard from a forum user in "July n-400" thread that Charlotte DO allowed several FP walk-ins.
In our case and since the time between the day we received the FP notice and the actual day of FP is only 9 days. So, we thought we'll just go exacty the day we're scheduled. If you have time and you want to give it a try, go ahead. The most they can say is "no, come back on schedule". So, if you go there, be open to this possibility and don't get mad - it will depend on the guy's mood, no more no less. Good luck!

Makes sense. If I have time tomorrow, I might try. Thank you!

We had our FP taken within 15-20 min. The personnel is courteous and the service was excellent. There were only 4 people FP-ing at the time we were there. I asked an employee how busy does it get ?. The employee mentioned that sometimes it gets very busy with 20-30 people and at times, like today, not much although they expect more people on Wednesdays because they allow walk-in FPs (Is it a non-written rule? I don't know)...
Good Luck! How was your experience?

Congrats on moving to the next step in the process. I didn't have time this week to try walk-in, but this is great information for anyone going to Durham DO.

We had our FP taken within 15-20 min. The personnel is courteous and the service was excellent. There were only 4 people FP-ing at the time we were there. I asked an employee how busy does it get ?. The employee mentioned that sometimes it gets very busy with 20-30 people and at times, like today, not much although they expect more people on Wednesdays because they allow walk-in FPs (Is it a non-written rule? I don't know)...
Good Luck! How was your experience?

I passed my citizenship interview but the officier said she will need to review my files and they will mail me a decision, do i hav to be worried?
thnks