Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Raleigh-durham N-400 timeline December

Since time procedure is different from a local immigration office to another depending on number of applicants, i would like to open this thread for people depending from Raleigh-Durham immigration office to have more accurate time-line, same time i will keep you also updated on N-400 December thread.

If you have applied in september, october, november at Raleigh-Durham local office, please share your experience and time-line with us.

I stay in Raleigh 27606
12/02/10 (day 00): mailed N-400 application to Dallas, TX
12/04/10 (day 02): application received
12/06/10 (day 04): application processed
12/10/10 (day 08): check cashed
12/11/10 (day 09): Notice of Action (I-797C) received

I just received yellow letter today dated 12/15/2010, asking my Driver's license to bring to the interview. I don't have interview letter yet, I'm assuming that I will receive it soon.

N-400 sent via FedEx: 10/20/2010
Package received: 10/21/2010
NOA received: 10/28/2010
Notice date: 10/25/2010
Received date: 10/21/2010
Priority date: 10/21/2010
Money order cashed: 10/25/2010
FP NOA: 11/02/2010
FP appt: 11/19/2010
YL letter: 12/15/2010

I got YL a couple of weeks back. My case status changed to "Transferred to local office" yesterday. So yours will around the corner too..

Hi khandkep,
my case status in the website says:" REF ( request for evidence ..... On December 20, 2010, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION.........)
i understand you had the same status !!! did they ask you to send more documents or you received the finger print letter ???
thanks...

i stay in Raleigh 27606
12/02/10 : mailed N-400 application to Dallas, TX
12/04/10 : application received
12/10/10 : check cashed
12/11/10 : Notice of Action (I-797C) received
12/20/10 : request for evidence sent (not yet received, i do not know what they are going to ask for)

Yes, USCIS in Durham does allow walk-in. My interview date was scheduled on the week I would be traveling with my family. We decided to go to the USCIS 7 days early in the afternoon. The place was deserted (since it was close to holidays in December). Our fingerprints and photographs were taken within 15 minutes. No one even questioned us why we there before our date of appointment. Quick, efficient, courteous staff. Now onto the next stage...

Thanks to all in this forum. Your comments and replies helped tremendously in making the decision to walk-in.

Does Raleigh/Durham DO allow walk-in FP? Any recommendations on what day of the week would be best? Thanks in advance!

Hi december2010,

Yes. I think you should have received FP notice by now..

Last edited by a moderator:
N400 Raleigh

DO:Raleigh-Durham
09/13/2010 : N-400 Sent
09/15/2010 : Received Date
09/15/2010 : Priority Date
09/15/2010 : Checks Cashed
10/13/2010 : FP Scheduled
10/13/2010 : FP Done
12/03/2010 : Interview Letter
01/04/2011 : Interview Date - Approved (Letter say checked pass test and Congratulations - Recommended for Approval)
xx/xx/2011 : Oath Date (I requested a name change )

Anyone did a name change last year at Raleigh/Durham, can u let me know how long it would take for Oath Ceremony letter from you approval time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!

One of my friend's wife did name change but they are in Charlotte. She has been waiting for more than 3 months. I am little worried too because I have requested name change for my wife as well.

01/04/2011 : Interview Date - Approved (Letter say checked pass test and Congratulations - Recommended for Approval)
xx/xx/2011 : Oath Date (I requested a name change )

Anyone did a name change last year at Raleigh/Durham, can u let me know how long it would take for Oath Ceremony letter from you approval time.

Interview Experience USCIS Durham

Finally my day was here. Since I'm from the very far east end from NC, I check-in the night before at the HomeWood (by Hilton) across the street of the USCIS office.
30 minutes before my interview was scheduled I walk down and check-in. (nicely dressed in suite and little flag pin) The office was packed with people, most were here for fingerprinting.
After 15 minutes waiting in the main assembly area, my appointment got called and I received a number and proceed to the second floor (the interview area). Here you wait till your number is called AND the IO walk you in. I have to say anything is very organized and friendly.

My IO was male, he welcomes me and at the door he was asking out of context question. Like how far is Virgina Beach away from my home. (??!!)

Well, after oath: "Promise to tell the truth" he starts to verify my N400 application. I offered a revised version (had some errors) but this was denied, "we need to stick with the original". So he made corrections while he was verifying line by line the application. The only "hick-up" was my speeding ticket, grrrr. Gave him court disposition and ticket and he saved everything to my file. That it, ready for test?. (I was sooooo ready)
Reading: Government .... (forgot)
Writing: We pay taxes
1. What is the freedom religion
2. How many senators
3. When have men register for selected service
4. Name state that borders to Canada
5. What is the name of the ocean east of US
6. When was the constitution written

Then he said, congratulation you have passed the test, you are recommended for approval. The whole interview was over in 15-20 minutes. He show me the way out and I needed to wait for the result paper. 10 minutes later an other IO (I think supervisor) show up, called my name, congratulated me briefly and handed me the paper with oath ceremony scheduled.

That's all folks, I'm happy it is over.

Today i received the Oath Letter scheduled for Jan 21 in Greensboro. So it is in court as i had a name change.

01/21/2011 : Oath Date (I requested a name change )

Hi, congratulation.
i have questions about your speeding ticket...
- have you mentioned the speeding ticket in the N-400 form ?
if you did not mention it..
- did the IO ask you to provide the court disposition ?

thx

Hi, congratulation.
i have questions about your speeding ticket...
- have you mentioned the speeding ticket in the N-400 form ?
if you did not mention it..
- did the IO ask you to provide the court disposition ?

thx

Hi december2010,
Yes, enclosed it N400 and the IO was asking for it including the original ticket

I got my interview letter, it is on Feb 8. I'm asked to bring the letter, GC, evidence of selective service registration, passport. SSR doesn't apply to me, and my husband since he got here at 30 yrs old in H1B visa.
=> Does he need to bring proof or is it enough that he says he was 30 on H1 when he came here?
=> There's another note that I don't need to bring docs for traffic incidents that were not DUI/drug related and no arrest if penalty <$500 and/or points in license. I have speeding ticket and improper equipment, both fines <$500 and ticket with 2pts. I have accident but a no fault situation. Do I need to bring doc for the accident? I don't have one since my insurance took care of everything.
=> My husband has a speeding and accident (not dui/drug). He was sued for the accident for insuracne to pay more for plaintiff, insurance paid and case closed. Does he need docs and where to get it?

Thank you in advance for help.