Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Thanks Bobsmyth, I am still hoping we will get it tomorrow but given this bad weather who knows!
Don't worry about the weather.. USPS moto is:

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

:)

I have my interview scheduled on March 8th Monday...
I have a question about the problems that could be caused by frequent travels (all below 180 days) . I had 4 trips in total since 2005.
I had to go to India due to family problems. Now my kids are returning back this month end.
Can i show their wake county admission requests as proof that i intend to stay in USA?
I don't own a home currently and living with a relative.
I am in the process of getting a new job.

How best do i explain my situation?

Thanks so much, Gee24 and Bobsmyth! :) I actually was able to call and talk to the Field Office Director in Raleigh, and he said they do try to fit you in if you walk in on any day, but that Wednesday is a better day to do so. (Wednesday is listed on my FP notice as well.) So, I guess I'll try to go in tomorrow instead of Thursday.

Quick update... Did my walk-in FP today, 3/03 (my original appointment was on 3/19). Got to the DO/ASC building around 7:10 am, they let us in at 7:35 to go through the "airport-style" security check (metal detector, etc.). They let us go through security about 20 minutes before 8:00 and didn't even ask me for any justification for coming in early, just the FP letter and my GC. I was the first person they took this morning, right at 8:00 am... Done and on the road at 8:10 am!! The staff at this ASC is really great, courteous, and helpful. :D

I also called the FBI number (304-625-5590) around 10:30 am, and they confirmed that my FP were "processed and sent to USCIS."

Thanks again to Gee24 and Bobsmyth for your help and input! :)

gcnowhere1, All the best for your interview and don't worry just say whatever is truth and you will be fine. Don't forget to post your experience for all of us who are in line.

Woo Hoo interview is done and have been approved for oath on 3/11 thursday.

The interviewing officer was super nice.

He administered the oath and then asked me to read a sentence and write a sentence.

Asked me the 6 civics questions

1. Who were brought in as slaves to America.
2. Who is the current vice president?
3. who make federal laws?
4. how many amendments were made in total?
5. how many senators are there in the senate?
6. what is the highest court in the USA?

All correct!

Then he looked at my visits to India which was a total of 4 trips and equal to 365 days and said it was no big deal...just breezed past that.

Then he asked about my employment... told him the truth about being laidoff in 2008 and searching for a job ever since. and that i found another job which is starting next week.

He agreed with me that the market was tough and finding a job is difficult in these times.

Then he asked me whether i got arrested or stopped by a police officer.
I answered Yes, and that it was for speeding.
He asked me whether i paid the tickets and have no cases pending against me. I said Yes.

Then he asked me to wait outside in the room and said that another officer would verify my application again and bring out the oath appointment letter.

Then 15 mins later i got that letter and was done there.

Hope that helped.

Woo Hoo interview is done and have been approved for oath on 3/11 thursday.

The interviewing officer was super nice.

He administered the oath and then asked me to read a sentence and write a sentence.

Asked me the 6 civics questions

1. Who were brought in as slaves to America.
2. Who is the current vice president?
3. who make federal laws?
4. how many amendments were made in total?
5. how many senators are there in the senate?
6. what is the highest court in the USA?

All correct!

Then he looked at my visits to India which was a total of 4 trips and equal to 365 days and said it was no big deal...just breezed past that.

Then he asked about my employment... told him the truth about being laidoff in 2008 and searching for a job ever since. and that i found another job which is starting next week.

He agreed with me that the market was tough and finding a job is difficult in these times.

Then he asked me whether i got arrested or stopped by a police officer.
I answered Yes, and that it was for speeding.
He asked me whether i paid the tickets and have no cases pending against me. I said Yes.

Then he asked me to wait outside in the room and said that another officer would verify my application again and bring out the oath appointment letter.

Then 15 mins later i got that letter and was done there.

Hope that helped.
Congratulations !!Looks like Raleigh is scheduling oath soon after approved interview.

Guys, this could possibly be a foolish question, but I still thought I should ask:

During the interview, does officer want to listen the answer to the US History questions, word by word, the way it is written in the book, or can it be in your words, how you could describe it at that moment?
e.g.
Q: Why does the flag have 50 stars?
A: because there is one star for each state.
Answer came to your mind at the Interview: One star for each state
Q: What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
A: the United State
Answer came to your mind at the Interview: USA

I think you got my point. I appreciate any response to this query.

Guys, this could possibly be a foolish question, but I still thought I should ask:

During the interview, does officer want to listen the answer to the US History questions, word by word, the way it is written in the book, or can it be in your words, how you could describe it at that moment?
e.g.
Q: Why does the flag have 50 stars?
A: because there is one star for each state.
Answer came to your mind at the Interview: One star for each state
Q: What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
A: the United State
Answer came to your mind at the Interview: USA

I think you got my point. I appreciate any response to this query.

SAM:

The answer to your question is "NO. THEY DO NOT EXPECT US TO GIVE THE ANSWERS VERBATIM FROM THE BOOK".

They expect us to know the answer to the question.
Also, there may be more than one answer...........in such cases, they expect us to give just "ONE OF THE ANSWERS......NOT ALL OF THEM".

For example, how many US states border CANADA.
I believe there are 5 states. You may just give one of the states... that should be good enough.

This is what I could gather... Trust me..... it will be lot easier than many people think......

I am just another applicant like you (of course done with the process now)....so act accordingly.

Good luck.

Gee24

sam012007,
I just went through the interview a couple of days ago.
I think its not a big deal at all.
You have to just know the right answer NOT the exact answer.
I posted all the questions in a previous posting in this thread.
Hope that helps.
BTW: i have the oath today afternoon. will post my experience after that.

Hi all,

Anybody knows what time the Support center in Durham opens and closes on Saturday? I am thinking of walking in on Saturday for FP

Folks,
Finally became a US citizen after 11 years of process! and applied for the passport today.
The naturalization process took exactly 4 months from start to finish.
Its been quite a journey with a lot of ups and downs.
But one thing that was constant during the entire journey is the strong support and advice from this forum.
I thank all the members and moderators of this group for their invaluable advice and support, from the bottom of my heart.
I will be happy to share my experiences with any members that might need it.
I Wish all the best for our friends who are still in the process.

Thanks

Congrats "GCNOWHERE", its an excellent news. Could you please share the following?

1) Your Experience at the Oath Ceremony
2) Where did (Location of the PO) you apply for your passport?
3) Did you have to take any advance appointment or you just walked in and they accepted your application?

I am in Morrisville, NC and know that Morrisville PO doesn't process the passports and have heard that Cary PO require you to make appointments in advance. Any guidance would be really helpful and appreciated.

Congrats "GCNOWHERE", its an excellent news. Could you please share the following?

3) Did you have to take any advance appointment or you just walked in and they accepted your application?

I am in Morrisville, NC and know that Morrisville PO doesn't process the passports and have heard that Cary PO require you to make appointments in advance. Any guidance would be really helpful and appreciated.
:

Hi Sam:

Go to Cary PO that is near Taco Bell on Kildaire Farm Road. Pick up couple of Applications. Check with the concerned case worker in the counter (Not all of them are meant for Passsport application processing ). Fix the appointment preferably on the same day your OATH is scheduled (after 3 hours of OATH).

The post office in Downtown Cary DO NOT accept the Passport Applications. Just fyi.

In the meantime, fill in the application at home and keep it ready (self explanatory), .........they accept checks ( I prefer checks).... drive straight to the Post office on completion of OATH.

The process would take at the most 10 minutes to submit.... You will get the passport, probably in 2 to 3 weeks, per my guess.
It is not a big deal for them.. some post offices are treating this as a big stuff..... don't know why..

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Gee24

It was a rather large group with about 60 people. Then the IO came out and gave a little speech and then we all stood for the national anthem and took the oath. Then they gave us the Naturalization certificate and asked us to double check the contents. It was a 2 hour affair.. All fun.
In the Cary PO on Wren drive (Intersection of Cary Parkway and Kildaire farm)
No i just walked in at about 3:30. The lady leaves at 4 PM i think. So try to go there as soon as you are done with the ceremony.
Remember to print out the passport application at home, 2 photos, photocopy of DL, checks for $75 and $25 and the original Naturalization certificate.
Keep 15c in change to take a copy of the certificate before you handover the original.

You might also want to ask about the voter registration form and ss-5 form for the Social security changes in the PO itself. Not sure if they are available there.

Hope that helps.

It was a rather large group with about 60 people. Then the IO came out and gave a little speech and then we all stood for the national anthem and took the oath. Then they gave us the Naturalization certificate and asked us to double check the contents. It was a 2 hour affair.. All fun.

Keep 15c in change to take a copy of the certificate before you handover the original.

You might also want to ask about the voter registration form and ss-5 form for the Social security changes in the PO itself. Not sure if they are available there.

Hope that helps.

CONGRATS FOR COMPLETING THE CITIZENSHIP PROCESS.

SO........YOUR GC (green card) IS NOWHERE NOW....I GUESS....... RIGHT ?
ENJOY THE WEEKEND.........CELEBRATE (AS A 'US CITIZEN') WITH A BOTTLE OF GOOD WINE......

GEE24

Last edited by a moderator: